Author Topic: The Anfield Wrap  (Read 3324012 times)

Offline kop306

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: The Anfield Wrap
« Reply #29160 on: Yesterday at 06:39:41 pm »
brilliant interview from TAW

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #29161 on: Yesterday at 07:04:43 pm »
Have a little watch of this, and RTs would be appeciated if you didn't mind!

https://x.com/TheAnfieldWrap/status/1791113879201923435

Nice one Craig. And well done with the Jurgen interview. How did you all avoid being so starstruck? :D

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #29162 on: Yesterday at 09:33:52 pm »
Loved the interview.

And an interesting and unexpected take away for me was the idea of runners up being something to remember and even celebrate. The idea that a campaign that goes to the wire, that comes within a whisker of winning, be it a domestic cup campaign, a European campaign or the league itself, means that there was a lot of great games, goals and saves and some fantastic nights along the way and is therefore worth remembering.

We’ve grown up with the idea that first is first and second is nothing. Shankly put it best as always. More recently we’ve seen footballers (not always in red) remove their runners up medals as it’s somehow a symbol of failure. And I get that too. Completely. I’m not trying to pretend to be some superfan here. Being runners up hurts. But Jürgen (and the TAW lads) are so right when talking about being prepared to lose big if you want to win big.

It’s made me revisit some of our ‘glorious failures’ over the years. Some of them are painful memories. But others were truly glorious in a strange way.

We’ve obviously got the Champions Wall. But I’d love to see a Runners Up Wall as well to see how many trophies we’ve nearly won! It must be loads. I don’t mean literally by the way. I’m not advocating an actual wall! :D That might be a bit, well, embarrassing! But I might have to spend some time one day going over them all, from our entire history, to find and remember some gems.

Shanks would probably turn in his grave if he read this post :D and there will be loads who will be sickened by the idea of celebrating failure. But the Europa campaign under Jürgen, for instance, wasn’t a failure despite the final. It was joyous and memorable and just brilliant. The Dortmund matches, the “magnificent seven” at Old Trafford. Just great occasions with incredible goals and bus welcomes and flags and songs. They should be remembered, not forgotten.

I think that’s Jürgen’s philosophy in a nutshell. It’s always worth giving it a go. And falling just short is better than not challenging at all. What’s his record? Seven trophies and six runners up? That’s some record in nine years. It’s why it’s water off a ducks back when fans of teams who have done fuck all for years and years take the piss when we fall just short. We don’t care because we’ve come first so many times that our Champions Wall is unrivalled. And we’ve come first so many times BECAUSE we’ve been runners up so many times. You have to. It’s necessary. Inevitable. Part of the process. You literally can’t ‘win ‘em all’.

Listening to Jürgen left me feeling really positive after the disappointment of our drop off towards the end of this season. It’s why Sunday will be so good :) What a ride it’s been.

Offline Jean Girard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #29163 on: Yesterday at 09:43:04 pm »
Loved the interview.

And an interesting and unexpected take away for me was the idea of runners up being something to remember and even celebrate. The idea that a campaign that goes to the wire, that comes within a whisker of winning, be it a domestic cup campaign, a European campaign or the league itself, means that there was a lot of great games, goals and saves and some fantastic nights along the way and is therefore worth remembering.

We’ve grown up with the idea that first is first and second is nothing. Shankly put it best as always. More recently we’ve seen footballers (not always in red) remove their runners up medals as it’s somehow a symbol of failure. And I get that too. Completely. I’m not trying to pretend to be some superfan here. Being runners up hurts. But Jürgen (and the TAW lads) are so right when talking about being prepared to lose big if you want to win big.

It’s made me revisit some of our ‘glorious failures’ over the years. Some of them are painful memories. But others were truly glorious in a strange way.

We’ve obviously got the Champions Wall. But I’d love to see a Runners Up Wall as well to see how many trophies we’ve nearly won! It must be loads. I don’t mean literally by the way. I’m not advocating an actual wall! :D That might be a bit, well, embarrassing! But I might have to spend some time one day going over them all, from our entire history, to find and remember some gems.

Shanks would probably turn in his grave if he read this post :D and there will be loads who will be sickened by the idea of celebrating failure. But the Europa campaign under Jürgen, for instance, wasn’t a failure despite the final. It was joyous and memorable and just brilliant. The Dortmund matches, the “magnificent seven” at Old Trafford. Just great occasions with incredible goals and bus welcomes and flags and songs. They should be remembered, not forgotten.

I think that’s Jürgen’s philosophy in a nutshell. It’s always worth giving it a go. And falling just short is better than not challenging at all. What’s his record? Seven trophies and six runners up? That’s some record in nine years. It’s why it’s water off a ducks back when fans of teams who have done fuck all for years and years take the piss when we fall just short. We don’t care because we’ve come first so many times that our Champions Wall is unrivalled. And we’ve come first so many times BECAUSE we’ve been runners up so many times. You have to. It’s necessary. Inevitable. Part of the process. You literally can’t ‘win ‘em all’.

Listening to Jürgen left me feeling really positive after the disappointment of our drop off towards the end of this season. It’s why Sunday will be so good :) What a ride it’s been.

Bang on. The journey with Jurgen has been the whole point. The peaks and troughs. So much fun
And now, the matador shall dance with the blind shoemaker!

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #29164 on: Today at 07:16:11 am »
That Rodri handball.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29165 on: Today at 08:39:45 am »
As part of me thinks that if I don't actually watch the game on Sunday then I'll never have seen Klopp's last game and can remain in blissful denial, I might leave that until I've got more emotional fortitude.

watch it, you'll regret it if you don't. I was at Bobs last game at Anfield, I was at Rushies when he left for Juventus, I'd be there Sunday if I could.
Jurgen YNWA

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #29166 on: Today at 08:42:09 am »
watch it, you'll regret it if you don't. I was at Bobs last game at Anfield, I was at Rushies when he left for Juventus, I'd be there Sunday if I could.

I sound like a shithouse but I’ll find it easier to watch knowing the result is slightly irrelevant (a big win would be lovely obviously). Contrast that to the last time we had Wolves at home on the last day and I could barely function.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #29167 on: Today at 09:28:35 am »

I'm not mentally stable enough for that right now.

I cried during an episode of Friday Night Dinner the other week.

Online Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29168 on: Today at 09:32:26 am »

Ive not been able to watch the video when he made the announcement or go into the Thanks Jurgen thread.

One day maybe.
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #29169 on: Today at 09:55:32 am »

Ive not been able to watch the video when he made the announcement or go into the Thanks Jurgen thread.

One day maybe.

It could help the acceptance though, Kenny. Having watched the video where he explains why he's going, I accepted it immediately as it was so obvious, he has to do it for his own sake. It's another reminder that managing in football does have an affect on managers.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Online Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29170 on: Today at 10:07:21 am »
It could help the acceptance though, Kenny. Having watched the video where he explains why he's going, I accepted it immediately as it was so obvious, he has to do it for his own sake. It's another reminder that managing in football does have an affect on managers.

I still hope he might come back. Ignorance is bliss.
I went to put TAWs interview on, changed my mind
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #29171 on: Today at 11:40:55 am »
Roight?

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #29172 on: Today at 12:03:18 pm »
Roight?

I have Supertramp in my head every Friday Show.

Roight (roight), you're bloody well roight
You got a bloody roight to say
Roight, you're bloody well roight
You know you got a roight to say
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.