Author Topic: MoTD thread  (Read 674128 times)

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: MoTD thread
« Reply #9480 on: December 4, 2023, 12:11:57 pm »
They should just make it a full highlight show with no analysis it's not the 80s or 90s anymore the analysis on this show is shit.
The best bit about the analysis is that they show noteworthy clips that they ditched from the main highlights section!  They should just show those clips in the main section instead of trying to cherry pick moments to suit whatever half-baked insight they're trying to push.

I'm wary of falling into the Tory trap of knowing the price of everything but the value of nothing, however it the Beeb are cutting costs in their news section then I'd rather they started by sacrificing the £millions they spend on MotD pundits.
« Last Edit: December 4, 2023, 01:18:05 pm by thaddeus »

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #9481 on: December 4, 2023, 12:43:46 pm »
They just need decent pundits, whoever is picking the likes of Shearer, Richards, Murphy, Jenas etc is destroying them

There are decent pundits out there.

Other broadcasters fall at the same step though, let's be honest, Carragher, Neville, Owen etc

At least Souness, Keane etc are entertaining and controversial (whether you agree with them or not), the BBC pundits are tired, lazy and boring.
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9482 on: December 4, 2023, 01:11:52 pm »
They just need decent pundits, whoever is picking the likes of Shearer, Richards, Murphy, Jenas etc is destroying them

There are decent pundits out there.

Other broadcasters fall at the same step though, let's be honest, Carragher, Neville, Owen etc

At least Souness, Keane etc are entertaining and controversial (whether you agree with them or not), the BBC pundits are tired, lazy and boring.

All the best pundits aren't ex players. They had Julien Laurens on the Euros draw the other day (as he actually knows football exists outside the PL), and yet they still removed him for a bit to shoehorn Shearer in to say precisely nothing.

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9483 on: December 4, 2023, 02:45:14 pm »
Such a boring show now Match of the Day. For about the millionth time last night it was a case of "you'd never had hit it like that Jermaine" then a load of fake laughing. Cliche after cliche

Offline smicer07

• Negative, miserable sod!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9484 on: December 4, 2023, 02:49:57 pm »
Surprised this is still on, given that you can see the goals on YouTube about ten minutes after the final whistle. The so called pundits provide nothing, they didn't even replay our goals yesterday, just banged on about how great the Fulham left back was (even though they conceded 4)

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9485 on: December 4, 2023, 02:51:03 pm »
The trouble is, for many, it's all they have. If you cannot afford to stump up £50 a month for SKY (or whatever alternatives there are) and you are not a dedicated streamer, it's hard to watch football. I am OK but I am sure, for many, it is all they have. They deserve better.
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline JRed

• After a 2L bottle of strongbow I’d do anything!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9486 on: December 4, 2023, 03:24:08 pm »
When it’s the Jenas and Osman double act, you know you have to hit fast forward button.

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #9487 on: December 4, 2023, 03:27:34 pm »
The trouble is, for many, it's all they have. If you cannot afford to stump up £50 a month for SKY (or whatever alternatives there are) and you are not a dedicated streamer, it's hard to watch football. I am OK but I am sure, for many, it is all they have. They deserve better.
Smicer said it though. For us who won't pay sky silly money so we can watch West Ham vs Bournmouth on a Monday night, youtube (And oojason, actually more oojaso) show us what we want to see.
Analysis, I can get from here.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #9488 on: December 4, 2023, 03:30:50 pm »
Here's a classic episode of MOTD from 1983[what MOTD should be], featured matches are Arsenal vs Liverpool & Wolves vs Birmingham, just had Jimmy Hill presenting & no pundits talking shit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKmoXiJEBJU
#Sausages

Offline TheMissionary

• PositionIsSoooooooOrdinary!
  • Legacy Fan
  • That's nice, that's McDermott, and that's a goal!!
« Reply #9489 on: December 4, 2023, 03:36:10 pm »
They should just make it a full highlight show with no analysis it's not the 80s or 90s anymore the analysis on this show is shit.

Mine's already like that - it needs Record and Fast Forward interventions though.  Funnily it seems to go faster when Jenas is spied in one of the seats.
TheMissionary
YNWA

Offline lfc_col

• Legacy Fan
  • And Could He Play!
« Reply #9490 on: December 4, 2023, 03:42:56 pm »
The pundits used to be ok they are way over used now its not needed
We Won It Six Times

JFT 97

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9491 on: December 4, 2023, 04:19:18 pm »
Smicer said it though. For us who won't pay sky silly money so we can watch West Ham vs Bournmouth on a Monday night, youtube (And oojason, actually more oojaso) show us what we want to see.
Analysis, I can get from here.

Maybe, I am adept at finding what I want, trouble is there are a load of older people out there that rely on this sort of stuff because they are of that generation. That said, ITV league highlights have less pundit, more action.
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9492 on: December 4, 2023, 04:32:38 pm »

You can get motd length highlights on youtube just after the match has finished these days, both from sky sports and lfc themselves, although the latter may have a longer delay to them.

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #9493 on: December 4, 2023, 04:35:10 pm »
You can get motd length highlights on youtube just after the match has finished these days, both from sky sports and lfc themselves, although the latter may have a longer delay to them.
Can you? I've seen 2 or 3 mins highlights from Sky on Youtube but not MotD length ones
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9494 on: December 4, 2023, 04:39:02 pm »
Can you? I've seen 2 or 3 mins highlights from Sky on Youtube but not MotD length ones

I was just counting the main footage not the additional bits where the pundits try to show how clever they are, that tends to be under 5 mins doesn't it?

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #9495 on: December 4, 2023, 05:03:31 pm »
I was just counting the main footage not the additional bits where the pundits try to show how clever they are, that tends to be under 5 mins doesn't it?
Nope, MotD highlights, these days, tend to be 10 mins. In the past the first couple of games would be even longer: 15 or more mins, with the other games getting shorter coverage
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #9496 on: December 4, 2023, 05:14:02 pm »
Here's a classic episode of MOTD from 1983[what MOTD should be], featured matches are Arsenal vs Liverpool & Wolves vs Birmingham, just had Jimmy Hill presenting & no pundits talking shit.

Always loved that goal Kenny scored, great to see it again

Offline Dougle

• and the bleu cat!
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9497 on: December 4, 2023, 10:13:08 pm »

That was a cracker. I remember Pat Jennings when he played for Spurs had some great games against us. Didn't he save 2 pens in one game at Anfield ? A 1-1 draw I think.

Offline Scottymuser

• Has many leather bound books (about football), and his home smells of rich mahogany. Bow to his superior knowledge of central defenders.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9498 on: December 4, 2023, 11:55:07 pm »
Surprised this is still on, given that you can see the goals on YouTube about ten minutes after the final whistle. The so called pundits provide nothing, they didn't even replay our goals yesterday, just banged on about how great the Fulham left back was (even though they conceded 4)

To be fair, whats a left back going to do abour a brilliantly hit free kick (that he didnt conceded IIRC), a 35 yard screamer from the other sife of the pitch, or 2 20 yarders from the centre of the pitch.  And he was directly involved in 2 of their goals

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • At the End of a Storm there's a Golden Sky.
    • X / Twitter: @TheLiverNerd
« Reply #9499 on: December 5, 2023, 07:49:48 am »

He was excellent to be fair. Great front foot defending throughout the game that forced us to change our game plan.
"Believe you are the best, then make sure that you are." - Shankly

X / Twitter: @TheLiverNerd - https://x.com/TheLiverNerd

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9500 on: December 5, 2023, 09:19:59 am »
He was excellent to be fair. Great front foot defending throughout the game that forced us to change our game plan.
He's always done well against us and against Mo.  I'm not sure what he's like the rest of the time but presumably he's not bad.  Another strange one from Southgate in that he'd rather bemoan injuries to Shaw and Chilwell and then play Trippier at left back than give someone like Robinson a call-up, even in a dead rubber set of fixtures.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #9501 on: December 5, 2023, 09:32:15 am »
He's always done well against us and against Mo.  I'm not sure what he's like the rest of the time but presumably he's not bad.  Another strange one from Southgate in that he'd rather bemoan injuries to Shaw and Chilwell and then play Trippier at left back than give someone like Robinson a call-up, even in a dead rubber set of fixtures.

In fairness to Southgate, Robinson is American. :D

Offline Ghost Town

• Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #9502 on: December 5, 2023, 09:36:04 am »
In fairness to Southgate, Robinson is American. :D
In fairness to thadddeus Robinson was born in Milton Keynes (raised in Liverpool) and could have chosen England, but elected to go with the US team in 2018. Probably ran scared seeing the waistcoat botherer in charge ;)

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9503 on: December 5, 2023, 09:45:45 am »
In fairness to thadddeus Robinson was born in Milton Keynes (raised in Liverpool) and could have chosen England, but elected to go with the US team in 2018. Probably ran scared seeing the waistcoat botherer in charge ;)
I knew all of that, of course  ::)

Southgate was England manager in 2016 so had two years to call up Robinson.  No foresight, the gormless wonder!

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #9504 on: December 5, 2023, 11:34:34 am »
I knew all of that, of course  ::)

Southgate was England manager in 2016 so had two years to call up Robinson.  No foresight, the gormless wonder!

:D

Good knowledge Ghost Town. I didn’t know that either.

Offline Lynx the saucy mynx

• Kopite
« Reply #9505 on: December 5, 2023, 11:42:23 am »

Funny you say that, as it got renewed until 2029 yesterday.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #9506 on: December 5, 2023, 11:46:02 am »

A choice between Berhalter and Southgate, sort of the inverse Sophie's choice, that one...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Online oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #9507 on: December 5, 2023, 04:27:26 pm »

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/HKmoXiJEBJU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/HKmoXiJEBJU</a>

Beautifully done, that. A few seconds for a brief intro, followed by 23 minutes of actual match highlights, and then just 50 seconds of 'post-match analysis' - which also included an actually funny story re Skippy :)
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #9508 on: December 5, 2023, 04:48:18 pm »

I had that yellow away top!!

There was a time when the pundits offered expert and impartial analysis. I think the MOTD golden era was with Des Lynham as host and the pick of Hansen, Lawrenson, Lineker, Hill as the main pundits. Even when Lineker took over presenting, it remained good. Pundits like Lee Dixon, Keown & Ian Wright were all decent. Shearer in his early days was fine, too.

The difference between then a nd now was a lack of agenda. Jenas is a fucking gobshite who has a bubbling hate of Liverpool, whilst Murphy isn't much better (smacks of resenting us for showing him the door). Then there's the Abu Dhabi PR department.

Pundits used to work hard not to show favouritism or disliked teams but that's out the window these days.
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Online Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #9509 on: December 5, 2023, 05:08:48 pm »

Beautifully done, that. A few seconds for a brief intro, followed by 23 minutes of actual match highlights, and then just 50 seconds of 'post-match analysis' - which also included an actually funny story re Skippy :)
Probably my favourite Kenny goal ever (go to 19.20) - things he could do with his wrong foot.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #9510 on: December 5, 2023, 08:10:56 pm »
Speaking of which, what happened to the favourite/least favourite pundit threads?...
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Bread

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9513 on: December 7, 2023, 11:32:16 am »
Big fan of Martin Keown hyping up Sheffield United as being a threat, as we see a montage of them fucking up every single counter attack they had.

Offline iamnant

• ...call me Adam
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bob Mortimer stan account
« Reply #9514 on: December 7, 2023, 01:42:58 pm »
Big fan of Salford-based BBC Sport reverting the running order to importance all of a sudden to have both Manc clubs first last night, whilst hiding our draw at the Emptihad deep in the order.

And as usual, they made our match look closer than it was and magnified the refereeing decisions that went "against" Sheffield but didn't talk much about their player butchering Macca's leg! Classic.
"If anyone at my funeral has a long face, I'll never speak to them again."
Stan Laurel

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9515 on: December 7, 2023, 02:10:23 pm »
Speaking of which, what happened to the favourite/least favourite pundit threads?...

Jermaine Jenas took out an injunction on RAWK and it had to be deleted. :(

Offline spen71

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9516 on: December 7, 2023, 02:12:50 pm »
Can’t remember the last time I watched match of the day.    Would cost me a fortune in new TVs,  would be putting my foot through it everytime Jenas opened his gob

Offline Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9517 on: December 7, 2023, 02:13:40 pm »
Yeah absolutely no balance last night, was all how SU were trying so hard to defend etc. Don't mind that but next nothing on us at all.

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
« Reply #9518 on: December 7, 2023, 04:18:41 pm »
Can't be doing with this shite anymore

Keown calling Nunez ball win for 2nd goal a foul is a total farce

Thick c*nt
If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Offline mainone

• Anny Roader
  • this is the end.....
« Reply #9519 on: December 7, 2023, 04:31:44 pm »
showed konate push said penalty, didnt mention a blatant push in manure game.