Author Topic: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation  (Read 616957 times)

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
Re: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation
« Reply #8720 on: April 13, 2024, 08:03:43 am »
Which is why appointment of Edwards was always the more important one. His team will know full well, and based on plenty of data, who is worth keeping and who isn’t.

There will be no shitshow. There might be some unexpected departures, loans and so on. New manager will have plenty of quality to work with.

Edwards has a strategic mind which is important. We've lost that since he's gone. 2022 in particular.

But Edwards is far from infallible. He was a big part of the Brendan Rodgers shitshow when so many bad decisions were made and poor strategy with that wretched transfer committee. It's a case of learning from that.

Obviously Klopp made him look great and Rodgers made him look bad, but that's why the manager is always the key person at the club. Hughes is also the one who'll be more the Edwards of the Klopp era, Edwards will take on more the Gordon role.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Garlic Red

• Kopite
  • Pop n crisp
« Reply #8721 on: April 13, 2024, 08:11:56 am »
I have been thinking this as well, what if Klopp has been turning water into wine for years? What sort of shit show are we heading into next season.

I’ve said for years, Klopp’s the best maximiser of talent in the world and has been for at least 15 years. You could argue Pep has more structure to his sides, demands more technically etc but there’s zero denying that Klopp can take 7-8/10 players and have them matching 10/10 talents. Consistently.

However, I’ll post a link to a little video of Ange mate that you don’t tend to hear a lot of managers saying but I think it’s one of the most accurate things any manager can say. Talent is obviously important but what Klopp has always prioritised is mentality and how a collective mentality can drive results far better than a concoction of talent without the heart and steel behind it. The club - Fallows, Hunter, Edwards and seemingly loads more - have embraced this in recruitment and background checks. I can’t see this changing unless the man we appoint decides he thinks he can save bad apples (Mancini and Balotelli spring to mind), the no dickhead policy should absolutely remain at the heart of our recruitment whoever comes in.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C3m6WsUsS6X/?igsh=MWFnOHp0Zm50dGdmcQ==

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8722 on: April 13, 2024, 08:19:13 am »
I’ve said for years, Klopp’s the best maximiser of talent in the world and has been for at least 15 years. You could argue Pep has more structure to his sides, demands more technically etc but there’s zero denying that Klopp can take 7-8/10 players and have them matching 10/10 talents. Consistently.

However, I’ll post a link to a little video of Ange mate that you don’t tend to hear a lot of managers saying but I think it’s one of the most accurate things any manager can say. Talent is obviously important but what Klopp has always prioritised is mentality and how a collective mentality can drive results far better than a concoction of talent without the heart and steel behind it. The club - Fallows, Hunter, Edwards and seemingly loads more - have embraced this in recruitment and background checks. I can’t see this changing unless the man we appoint decides he thinks he can save bad apples (Mancini and Balotelli spring to mind), the no dickhead policy should absolutely remain at the heart of our recruitment whoever comes in.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C3m6WsUsS6X/?igsh=MWFnOHp0Zm50dGdmcQ==

That was another key difference with Klopp. We finally started scouting for players based on character and mentality again. As if Klopp would go near wasters like Balotelli or Andy Carroll. Anyone who wasn't onboard with his professionalism was quickly shipped out (Sakho for example).

That's something we have to keep. You can't just scout off a spreadsheet.

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #8723 on: April 13, 2024, 08:37:41 am »
I wonder if the new manager (can't guarantee it will be Amorim) will target a DM. We have Endo and he has done well but he has no recovery pace. We have Baj but he is young and inexperienced. Also, is it possible to be defensively secure with a double pivot of Trent and Mac? Can Jones be converted into a DM?

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8724 on: April 13, 2024, 08:49:04 am »
I wonder if the new manager (can't guarantee it will be Amorim) will target a DM. We have Endo and he has done well but he has no recovery pace. We have Baj but he is young and inexperienced. Also, is it possible to be defensively secure with a double pivot of Trent and Mac? Can Jones be converted into a DM?

Endo was the cover/competition we needed for Fabinho for a couple of years, rather than be starting every week. He's filled in well but i'd imagine a Fabinho replacement is near the top of the list (and with an early-mid 20s age profile).

One of the issues with the midfield that was left to rot in recent years was just how slow and laboured it was - we still haven't really redressed that. Dom, after a blistering start this season, has basically been morphed into being the legs of the midfield and running around like a blue arsed fly like Henderson used to. When he's not there, the midfield lacks legs.

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8725 on: April 13, 2024, 08:56:51 am »
Endo was the cover/competition we needed for Fabinho for a couple of years, rather than be starting every week. He's filled in well but i'd imagine a Fabinho replacement is near the top of the list (and with an early-mid 20s age profile).

One of the issues with the midfield that was left to rot in recent years was just how slow and laboured it was - we still haven't really redressed that. Dom, after a blistering start this season, has basically been morphed into being the legs of the midfield and running around like a blue arsed fly like Henderson used to. When he's not there, the midfield lacks legs.

It's all up in the air with regard to DM. Also, there is no clear stand-out DM who isn't already as a top club. Baj was really impressive but it's unclear if he could be a DM. It's unclear if Jones or Trent can thrive as the deepest midfielder. I think a quality DM will allow Dom to kick on again as he is becoming too preoccupied with what happens off the ball and it's affecting what he does on the ball.

Online CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #8726 on: April 13, 2024, 09:00:41 am »
I have been thinking this as well, what if Klopp has been turning water into wine for years? What sort of shit show are we heading into next season.
Max 11 games left with him, and the penny finally drops. Sound.

It’s a transfer committee, btw, and he has say in that, even being outvoted to recruit Salah. It’s a funny owld game Saint.

@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #8727 on: April 13, 2024, 09:07:10 am »
Edwards has a strategic mind which is important. We've lost that since he's gone. 2022 in particular.

But Edwards is far from infallible. He was a big part of the Brendan Rodgers shitshow when so many bad decisions were made and poor strategy with that wretched transfer committee. It's a case of learning from that.

Obviously Klopp made him look great and Rodgers made him look bad, but that's why the manager is always the key person at the club. Hughes is also the one who'll be more the Edwards of the Klopp era, Edwards will take on more the Gordon role.
People develop, and I assume that Edwards has learned loads from both Rodgers and Klopp, and from the successes and failures of dozens of signings.

IMO the manager is the most important person in the club, but the importance is also overrated. Both Chelsea and ManU have tried all sorts of managers, and they have all failed. Clearly they have more comprehensive problems than the manager.

The manager is the public figurehead, and the one that is replaced the most quickly. Some clubs can sign shitty players year after year, and still keep the same people in charge - except the manager.

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8728 on: April 13, 2024, 09:18:20 am »
People develop, and I assume that Edwards has learned loads from both Rodgers and Klopp, and from the successes and failures of dozens of signings.

IMO the manager is the most important person in the club, but the importance is also overrated. Both Chelsea and ManU have tried all sorts of managers, and they have all failed. Clearly they have more comprehensive problems than the manager.

The manager is the public figurehead, and the one that is replaced the most quickly. Some clubs can sign shitty players year after year, and still keep the same people in charge - except the manager.

The most important thing is the continuity of playing style and personnel. You can't have a manager come in make wholesale changes get binned off only for the next manager to come in and make wholesale changes. That's a vicious circus. We should be looking to bring in no more than 5 players (at the absolute most) and even that is an overhaul.

Offline Garlic Red

• Kopite
  • Pop n crisp
« Reply #8729 on: April 13, 2024, 09:18:32 am »

I think the club would be ready to strike in nearly any position if they felt there was true value to be had. I can’t see us signing a defensive midfielder if the market is slim pickings like it was last summer once Rice/Caicedo/Lavia were off the market, we never looked at Ugarte or Alvarez despite plenty of hype around their ability.

I haven’t really been following the European leagues as much this season due to time constraints but I suppose I would ask who out there is jumping out as a potential 6 that we would pull the trigger on? In 22 it was Tchouameni, who would it be this summer? Alan Varela after one year in Portugal? We’ve seen before we will happily stick with what we’ve got if we don’t feel we can get a top talent for good value, much to the frustration of supporters. I can’t see that changing, particularly in the first year of the unknown with a new manager.

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8730 on: April 13, 2024, 09:25:38 am »
I think the club would be ready to strike in nearly any position if they felt there was true value to be had. I can’t see us signing a defensive midfielder if the market is slim pickings like it was last summer once Rice/Caicedo/Lavia were off the market, we never looked at Ugarte or Alvarez despite plenty of hype around their ability.

I haven’t really been following the European leagues as much this season due to time constraints but I suppose I would ask who out there is jumping out as a potential 6 that we would pull the trigger on? In 22 it was Tchouameni, who would it be this summer? Alan Varela after one year in Portugal? We’ve seen before we will happily stick with what we’ve got if we don’t feel we can get a top talent for good value, much to the frustration of supporters. I can’t see that changing, particularly in the first year of the unknown with a new manager.

If you can coach Trent in the role of DM your deepest player would have world class passing ability. If you could coach Jones in the DM you would have a DM with incredible athleticism and the ability to protect the ball in tight areas. Baj is an unknown quantity but came through the academy as a centre back so would have the ability to drop into the back line.  So it's unclear whether we will dip into the market for a long term DM.

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #8731 on: April 13, 2024, 09:49:59 am »
The most important thing is the continuity of playing style and personnel. You can't have a manager come in make wholesale changes get binned off only for the next manager to come in and make wholesale changes. That's a vicious circus. We should be looking to bring in no more than 5 players (at the absolute most) and even that is an overhaul.
Agree. I think Rodgers paved the way for Klopp in som ways. He introduced a game focused on pace and pressing, and he started recruiting from abroad. Klopp came in and did the same, but way better

Offline Garlic Red

• Kopite
  • Pop n crisp
« Reply #8732 on: April 13, 2024, 09:59:02 am »
I’m of the opinion that we won’t do vast work in the transfer window this summer, I’ve been trying to remember where I’d read this but it was on The Athletic (by Daniel Taylor (tosser) and Adam Crafton), it was a piece on Edwards but it was discussing how we came to appoint Jurgen, but I couldn’t help but feel it will still apply now and it’s why we won’t see Amorim join and bring in 5-6 players like some fans seem to hope:

Howe was on a three-man shortlist with Klopp and Carlo Ancelotti for the manager's position and it was part of Edwards' job, then as Liverpool's technical director, to determine who had the outstanding credentials to replace Brendan Rodgers.

Ancelotti, who now finds himself on the other side of Stanley Park with Everton, passed all the criteria in terms of his record in the Champions League and the statistics relating to his teams at clubs including Juventus, AC Milan, Chelsea and Real Madrid. But his transfer record counted against him because the check system devised by Edwards and Liverpool's analysts deliberately placed less emphasis on a manager's recruitment in his first year.

Their theory was that a manager might not have the ultimate say when it came to transfer business during his first season but, in years two, three, four and five, that manager's influence would be greater and signings would not happen without his input.

A lot of Ancelotti's recruits were deemed to be on the older side and that jarred with Liverpool's thinking. Edwards and the hierarchy wanted players aged 26 or under who were approaching their peak years and would still have a re-sale value three or four years later.

I read that as it’s unlikely the club are going to bring in a new manager and give him free rein to mould the squad from the off. He’ll be expected to work with much of what he has and we’ll give him the license once we’re convinced he’s the man to move ahead with. That’s not to say they’ll appoint someone they’re unsure of, but the reality is there’s simply no guarantees with a manager and clubs like United have shown how detrimental it can be consistently backing the wrong bloke from the off.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8733 on: April 13, 2024, 10:03:16 am »
I’m of the opinion that we won’t do vast work in the transfer window this summer, I’ve been trying to remember where I’d read this but it was on The Athletic (by Daniel Taylor (tosser) and Adam Crafton), it was a piece on Edwards but it was discussing how we came to appoint Jurgen, but I couldn’t help but feel it will still apply now and it’s why we won’t see Amorim join and bring in 5-6 players like some fans seem to hope:

I read that as it’s unlikely the club are going to bring in a new manager and give him free rein to mould the squad from the off. He’ll be expected to work with much of what he has and we’ll give him the license once we’re convinced he’s the man to move ahead with. That’s not to say they’ll appoint someone they’re unsure of, but the reality is there’s simply no guarantees with a manager and clubs like United have shown how detrimental it can be consistently backing the wrong bloke from the off.

The thing is that there were a lot of transfers in Klopp’s first few seasons. Now whilst that was a team being built, it meant that the data team had more influence in getting the players in the squad they felt were key.

If we follow your theory that we dont do much shopping now then surely that means that if the manager does well then the squad will have players when the manager has most of the power and the data team will have lost its main influence.

Also you are assuming everyone thinks the squad is brilliant. We have a new Football CEO and a new Sporting Director. I reckon there may be players in the squad they dont rate and may want to stamp their impression. I very much doubt their coming in and saying all is fine, no need to do anything.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2024, 10:05:22 am by killer-heels »

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8734 on: April 13, 2024, 10:09:24 am »
In an ideal world, the manager will look at the players and determine who is fit for purpose and who needs to be moved on. The manager will then say he needs players for certain positions. Then the likes of Hughes and Edwards will draw up a shortlist for the positions and the manager will pick who he wants from the shortlist and we'll do our best to get those players.

You won't have a situation again where the committee wants Firmino and the manager wants Benteke.
The new manager has a ton of tools to work with the unfortunate thing is a number of the key players are on the wrong side of 30.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8735 on: April 13, 2024, 10:13:31 am »
In an ideal world, the manager will look at the players and determine who is fit for purpose and who needs to be moved on. The manager will then say he needs players for certain positions. Then the likes of Hughes and Edwards will draw up a shortlist for the positions and the manager will pick who he wants from the shortlist and we'll do our best to get those players.

You won't have a situation again where the committee wants Firmino and the manager wants Benteke.
The new manager has a ton of tools to work with the unfortunate thing is a number of the key players are on the wrong side of 30.

The over 30 aged players is a concern. We have some really good players under that age that are proven like Jota, Konate and Mac Allister but if you were listing our top ones it would be Alisson, Trent, Van Dijk and Salah. Throw in Robbo as well. You can take Ali and Trent out of that but the other three are tough to replace.

Its why extending Trent’s contract is vital. Its quite ridiculous how thats dragged on.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #8736 on: April 13, 2024, 10:27:47 am »
Something else which is not being mentioned is making sure to continue using the Academy where we can. We have a number of really good up and coming players, we shouldn't just be signing new players if there is someone we can use from Kirkby. I really hope whoever the new manager is he continues to bring young players into the overall squad and takes a good look at them. This should be something the club continues with. Only if there is nothing in a particular position should we then be buying someone else.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Garlic Red

• Kopite
  • Pop n crisp
« Reply #8737 on: April 13, 2024, 10:29:33 am »
The thing is that there were a lot of transfers in Klopp’s first few seasons. Now whilst that was a team being built, it meant that the data team had more influence in getting the players in the squad they felt were key.

If we follow your theory that we dont do much shopping now then surely that means that if the manager does well then the squad will have players when the manager has most of the power and the data team will have lost its main influence.

Also you are assuming everyone thinks the squad is brilliant. We have a new Football CEO and a new Sporting Director. I reckon there may be players in the squad they dont rate and may want to stamp their impression. I very much doubt their coming in and saying all is fine, no need to do anything.

Klopp arrived mid-season, we didn’t sign anyone apart from Caulker in that January. By the summer came we at least had an idea he was the right man for the job and worth backing. The first summer of recruitment we signed Mane, Gini and Matip who were certs for the first team, we signed Klavan as depth and Karius to challenge/hopefully replace Mignolet, they were minor investments in terms of fees.

I don’t buy into any kind of theory that there’s a data team trying to remain in power at the club. They support the club to make informed decisions, it’s up to the club if they listen to them or not. We’ve done a pretty good job at listening to them over the years, probably more than most clubs in England/Europe, the new manager will be expected to embrace this approach and if he doesn’t then it’s hard to see the club appointing him.

I’m not assuming everyone in the squad is brilliant, but there are realities with the squad that most fans seem to be ignoring: it’s a very strong squad, we’re level on points with top of the table; we have numerous players yet to peak (Szoboszlai, Nunez, Gakpo, Gravenberch, Jones, Elliott, Mac Allister, Konate, Bradley, Bajcetic, Quansah) so there’s plenty of room for the squad to improve without adding anyone to it; we have plenty of youth players coming through who deserve more minutes in domestic cups and should feature from the bench more often. Yes we have a new FCEO and DoF but our approach to transfers has never wavered, they’re still married in analytics, pass the no dickheads policy and have earned the right to remain at the club under a new manager next season. I see no reason why they would come in and decide to begin with full scale surgery to the playing squad when we’re in such a strong position. Obviously any player deciding to leave will have a domino effect, but for now the only player definitely leaving is Joel Matip, Quansah’s looking good for his replacement so we can probably afford to wait for the right player if he isn’t available this summe, or we sign a player who may fit in regardless of what the new manager wants to do but conveniently suits his system, like an Inacio or Hincapie who offer versatility and high level talent.

I think the idea that Hughes/Edwards will be arriving with ego, desperate to tear up the good work of their predecessors with the vanity of ‘stamping their impression’ on the team is just silly. They will make informed, sound decisions in line with the principles the club have always stuck to. We won’t be drawn into the mistakes other clubs consistently make when heading into periods of change. We’ll take less risks, we’ll take our time and we’ll make evidence-based decisions rather than impulsive ones.

Offline kop306

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #8738 on: April 13, 2024, 10:39:20 am »
based on what i have seen this season we only need 3 players

centre half
forward
left back

plenty of opportunities for the young lads to impress the new manager in pre-season aswell

inury prevention is one area where edwards and hughes could look at

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8739 on: April 13, 2024, 10:40:27 am »
Klopp arrived mid-season, we didn’t sign anyone apart from Caulker in that January. By the summer came we at least had an idea he was the right man for the job and worth backing. The first summer of recruitment we signed Mane, Gini and Matip who were certs for the first team, we signed Klavan as depth and Karius to challenge/hopefully replace Mignolet, they were minor investments in terms of fees.

I don’t buy into any kind of theory that there’s a data team trying to remain in power at the club. They support the club to make informed decisions, it’s up to the club if they listen to them or not. We’ve done a pretty good job at listening to them over the years, probably more than most clubs in England/Europe, the new manager will be expected to embrace this approach and if he doesn’t then it’s hard to see the club appointing him.

I’m not assuming everyone in the squad is brilliant, but there are realities with the squad that most fans seem to be ignoring: it’s a very strong squad, we’re level on points with top of the table; we have numerous players yet to peak (Szoboszlai, Nunez, Gakpo, Gravenberch, Jones, Elliott, Mac Allister, Konate, Bradley, Bajcetic, Quansah) so there’s plenty of room for the squad to improve without adding anyone to it; we have plenty of youth players coming through who deserve more minutes in domestic cups and should feature from the bench more often. Yes we have a new FCEO and DoF but our approach to transfers has never wavered, they’re still married in analytics, pass the no dickheads policy and have earned the right to remain at the club under a new manager next season. I see no reason why they would come in and decide to begin with full scale surgery to the playing squad when we’re in such a strong position. Obviously any player deciding to leave will have a domino effect, but for now the only player definitely leaving is Joel Matip, Quansah’s looking good for his replacement so we can probably afford to wait for the right player if he isn’t available this summe, or we sign a player who may fit in regardless of what the new manager wants to do but conveniently suits his system, like an Inacio or Hincapie who offer versatility and high level talent.

I think the idea that Hughes/Edwards will be arriving with ego, desperate to tear up the good work of their predecessors with the vanity of ‘stamping their impression’ on the team is just silly. They will make informed, sound decisions in line with the principles the club have always stuck to. We won’t be drawn into the mistakes other clubs consistently make when heading into periods of change. We’ll take less risks, we’ll take our time and we’ll make evidence-based decisions rather than impulsive ones.
The belief is that the manager had more of an influence on transfers these past two years. The new sporting director wont want to rip it all up but they will want leave an impression.

Also what do you mean he is worth backing? Are we saying we tell Amorim show what you can do with this current squad before we sign players for you? Seems an odd way of doing things.

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8740 on: April 13, 2024, 10:45:08 am »
The over 30 aged players is a concern. We have some really good players under that age that are proven like Jota, Konate and Mac Allister but if you were listing our top ones it would be Alisson, Trent, Van Dijk and Salah. Throw in Robbo as well. You can take Ali and Trent out of that but the other three are tough to replace.

Its why extending Trent’s contract is vital. Its quite ridiculous how thats dragged on.

I no longer consider Robertson a key player.
VVD - CB has a longer shelf life, especially in the middle of a back three
Allison - Keepers have a long shelf life. Buffon was good in his 40's
Salah - Ronaldo was still a top player in his late 30's

So it's not disastrous but a succession plan has to be in place.

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8741 on: April 13, 2024, 10:48:41 am »
based on what i have seen this season we only need 3 players

centre half
forward
left back

plenty of opportunities for the young lads to impress the new manager in pre-season aswell

inury prevention is one area where edwards and hughes could look at

Keeper - If Kelleher leaves
LCB
LWB
DM
Forward

I think the LCB is a must, for the other positions the manager may look for solutions in the squad before dipping into the market.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8742 on: April 13, 2024, 10:50:43 am »
I no longer consider Robertson a key player.
VVD - CB has a longer shelf life, especially in the middle of a back three
Allison - Keepers have a long shelf life. Buffon was good in his 40's
Salah - Ronaldo was still a top player in his late 30's

So it's not disastrous but a succession plan has to be in place.

That's the key part.

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8743 on: April 13, 2024, 10:52:25 am »
That's the key part.

100%, so many talented youngsters, bring in a few proven quality players about to make that step to world class as we have and off we go.

Offline kop306

• Anny Roader
« Reply #8744 on: April 13, 2024, 11:00:53 am »
how do people feel if Gian Piero Gasperini got a liverpool interview ?

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8745 on: April 13, 2024, 11:03:01 am »

That was the biggest mistake Souness made, he shifted out far too many too quickly.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline kop306

• Anny Roader
« Reply #8746 on: April 13, 2024, 11:06:17 am »
That was the biggest mistake Souness made, he shifted out far too many too quickly.

we had a much older squad when souness took over
the only young lads where fowler and macca

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8747 on: April 13, 2024, 11:06:33 am »

How not to become a manager!  :o

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8748 on: April 13, 2024, 11:06:41 am »

Klopp played Milner and Moreno at left back until the right player came along.
Klopp played Henderson as the DM until the right player came along.

People underestimate the significance of continuity and familiarity. The longer the team remains together the more likely patterns of play will be ingrained so you don't have to think about things, like where the runners are, which space to occupy or vacate, etc.

Online mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8749 on: April 13, 2024, 11:10:45 am »

Ridiculous idea. I’d lose faith in any recruitment if they are going off the basis of one match.

God knows who will be flavour of the week next week.

Offline Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8750 on: April 13, 2024, 11:10:50 am »
Klopp played Milner and Moreno at left back until the right player came along.
Klopp played Henderson as the DM until the right player came along.

People underestimate the significance of continuity and familiarity. The longer the team remains together the more likely patterns of play will be ingrained so you don't have to think about things, like where the runners are, which space to occupy or vacate, etc.

I remember on of the big things that got Klopp over Ancelotti was Ancelotti said in the interview "I need a defender, a midfielder, and a striker before we can do anything" while Klopp said he could work with what he had and build as they went

I don't think we are going to think very highly of a manager who is coming in saying he needs loads of players gone and a bunch of players brought in for him

Offline kop306

• Anny Roader
« Reply #8751 on: April 13, 2024, 11:11:30 am »
play harvey in midfield and not in the front 3

i hope jurgen has learnt from thursday night

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8752 on: April 13, 2024, 11:17:18 am »
we had a much older squad when souness took over
the only young lads where fowler and macca

Yes but like spider neil says and Souness himself has admitted, you take your time over it and get the right players. Rob Jones was a fantastic signing, Saunders, Walters,Stewart, Dicks, Ruddock etc etc were not

Being in the Upper Bullens and watching Beardsley score the winner for the shite was not a funny experience.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8753 on: April 13, 2024, 11:20:17 am »
Ridiculous idea. I’d lose faith in any recruitment if they are going off the basis of one match.

God knows who will be flavour of the week next week.

If he got an interview, it wouldn't be off the back on Thursday, it'd be based on his past 8 years at Atalanta. Fucker has done us twice at Anfield now
Jurgen YNWA

Offline kop306

• Anny Roader
« Reply #8754 on: April 13, 2024, 11:24:48 am »
Yes but like spider neil says and Souness himself has admitted, you take your time over it and get the right players. Rob Jones was a fantastic signing, Saunders, Walters,Stewart, Dicks, Ruddock etc etc were not

Being in the Upper Bullens and watching Beardsley score the winner for the shite was not a funny experience.

i agree rob jones was the only decent player that souness bought
we needed a world class centre back at the time to replace hansen

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8755 on: April 13, 2024, 11:29:30 am »
i agree rob jones was the only decent player that souness bought
we needed a world class centre back at the time to replace hansen

So he signed Piechnick  ::)    Mark Wright was a decent signing though, far better than I was expecting him to be.

Jurgen YNWA

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8756 on: April 13, 2024, 11:30:55 am »

We're not hiring a 66 year old.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Garlic Red

• Kopite
  • Pop n crisp
« Reply #8757 on: April 13, 2024, 11:34:25 am »
The belief is that the manager had more of an influence on transfers these past two years. The new sporting director wont want to rip it all up but they will want leave an impression.

Also what do you mean he is worth backing? Are we saying we tell Amorim show what you can do with this current squad before we sign players for you? Seems an odd way of doing things.

Look at what’s happened at other clubs. Man Utd have got themselves stuck in this cycle of backing new managers, sacking them after a few years and being left with a squad that’s a mish mash of different styles, personalities and profiles. Their squad is full of individual talents that were statement signings under different regimes. I believe the club will sign Amorim under the belief he’s a good manager and we already have a good team not requiring vast levels of work, we might sign a player or two (if only Matip leaves) and we’ll wait to see how he settles at the club before allowing him to begin to mould the squad in his image. There were transfer windows under Edwards where we felt the squad was on an upwards trajectory and didn’t require work (summer 2019), I don’t think it’s unthinkable that we take a more ‘hands off’ approach to the summer window, opting for a couple of players and believing chemistry and expected growth of those already here to be the biggest way we improve the side for next season.

The manager has always had an influence on transfers. When he first joined he was very adamant in saying he has final say on transfers, nothing has changed, none of the signings we’ve made have been against data or analytics, FSG simply don’t operate on vibes. The big ‘issue’ between the management and suits was clearly over new contracts and seemingly getting his way with the Henderson deal. That was a unique situation where both sides were right: Henderson had a strong 21/22 but ultimately fell off a cliff as Edwards/the data team I imagine expected; Klopp wanted the intangibles — Edwards wanted the transfer fee. We ultimately still got the transfer fee thanks to Saudi Arabia, so the only negative was the one poor season of Henderson we had to suffer.

Edwards hasn’t returned to the club to usurp the manager in decision making. He’ll essentially be acting as Gordon was over the last decade. Gordon will have at times sided with Edwards and at other times (I imagine the Henderson deal) sided with Klopp. Of the two he was right to prioritise Klopp, Klopp is a unicorn of a manager and keeping him for as long as possible was the soundest business decision FSG could make. As Klopp said, they might not have started every conversation in agreement but by the end of it they usually were. Finding the balance will always be the key to success, having divisions and decision makers being polar opposites is a recipe for disaster.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8758 on: April 13, 2024, 12:19:30 pm »
Have we considered Pep Lindjers??*

*been about 30 pages. Wanted to keep the flame alive.

Offline Working Class Hen-Pecked Hero

• Is something to be...Lives at 999 Letsby Avenue.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8759 on: April 13, 2024, 12:44:02 pm »
How convinced are people it will be Amorim who takes over? Or is there someone on the needs database no one expects
I'm telling you, Bowie died and it's all gone to fuck.