Author Topic: Benfica  (Read 2715 times)

Offline KaiNo7

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Benfica
« on: February 26, 2019, 10:38:16 pm »
On holiday in Portugal and went to watch them last night. What a proper football club, fans and support are amazing! Came on here looking for an old post about a lad called Hero or something similar. Does he ever come here nowadays? I so hope Benfica beat Porto to the title, and if Liverpool ever draw Benfica again, I’m there!

Online jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack

Offline KaiNo7

• Anny Roader
Re: Benfica
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2019, 10:45:44 pm »
Thanks 👍

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2019, 10:45:52 pm »
On holiday in Portugal and went to watch them last night. What a proper football club, fans and support are amazing! Came on here looking for an old post about a lad called Hero or something similar. Does he ever come here nowadays? I so hope Benfica beat Porto to the title, and if Liverpool ever draw Benfica again, I’m there!

I remember a Benfica fan on here called Heroisdomar. I just checked and he was last active on here on Feb 15th 2018.

I've holidayed in Portugal many times and although I've visited Lisbon I've not been to a game there. I'd love to though. I always see Benfica as one of the few really iconic names in the European game. I only have one half and half scarf and it's Liverpool/Benfica.

EDIT: Jackh got a sliding tackle in before me, I see.  ;)
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2019, 10:46:29 pm »
He's been posting on here for years hasn't he. And Lisbon is boss too

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2019, 01:06:22 am »
I remember a Benfica fan on here called Heroisdomar. I just checked and he was last active on here on Feb 15th 2018.

He comes along to celebrate with us whenever we beat Porto ;D

Offline KaiNo7

• Anny Roader
« Reply #6 on: March 3, 2019, 02:17:38 am »
He’s one happy boy tonight, Benfica beat Porto away to go top of league... I’ve always had an admiration for Benfica, but after watching a game their with my 8 year old boy I genuinely love that football club and their fans, absolute proper football club. They are amazing! I’ve never witnessed an atmosphere like that in a run of the mill league game against relegation opposition (Chaves)... truly memorable night, bought 2 tickets off at tout outside the ticket office for half price, only to realise they were in two different blocks... would have been sound if wasn’t with my 8 year old, told the security guard at the turnstile, he went away to get another ticket and scanned us both in.... then come out of stadium, and the mini football field we cut across was all locked up, dis-orientated us and we couldn’t find our way to our hire car... we roamed the steets of Lisbon for 90 mins before we found it.... I will definitely revisit, and would not possibly miss any future Liverpool v Benfica clash

Offline KaiNo7

• Anny Roader
« Reply #7 on: March 3, 2019, 02:20:59 am »

I've holidayed in Portugal many times and although I've visited Lisbon I've not been to a game there. I'd love to though. I always see Benfica as one of the few really iconic names in the European game. I only have one half and half scarf and it's Liverpool/Benfica.

EDIT: Jackh got a sliding tackle in before me, I see.  ;)j

Can’t tecommend it highly enough mate, cheap tickets amazing fans 👍

Offline theartist

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: March 3, 2019, 09:49:17 am »
We recovered 9 points to Porto in 2 months with the new coach, Bruno Lage. What an epic guy. We were dying under the last coach with a team full of potential.

If you come to Lisbon and need help with something just let me know.

Online deano2727

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: March 3, 2019, 10:01:14 am »
That Joao Felix lad could be worth a punt. There will be a lot of competition for him in the summer you'd imagine.

Offline theartist

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: March 3, 2019, 10:23:25 am »
That Joao Felix lad could be worth a punt. There will be a lot of competition for him in the summer you'd imagine.

It will be the usual, even if the player doesn´t want to leave our president and jorge mendes will do everything they can to sell him to the rich big boys. He is only 19 years old, in a normal club he would stay at least more 2 or 3 years. But there's a lot of others kids coming up and the new coach knows them well.

Offline Slick_Beef

• RAWK's Master Baker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: March 3, 2019, 11:16:34 am »
I don't often watch the portuguese league despite living in Lisbon, but I caught last night's game and really enjoyed it. Incredible job from  Bruno Lage to catch Porto, as theartist said. Good luck to them for the title!

Can’t tecommend it highly enough mate, cheap tickets amazing fans 👍

A full or mostly full estadio de luz is amazing, I agree.  The only problem I have is that because 99% of portugal supports one of three teams, I've been to games where the away section has about 10 people in it and I find it a bit sad to be honest.  Still, great stadium and decent prices compared to england.. well worth a visit
« Last Edit: March 3, 2019, 11:21:13 am by Slick_Beef »

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #12 on: March 3, 2019, 11:38:13 am »
I really appreciate that club. They're the biggest club locked in a small league out there to me, even though Ajax have won the European Cup more often, Benfica is much more of an institution for its entire country than Ajax has ever been for the whole Netherlands. Even though Portugal is a small country they have millions and millions of fans in their own country, let alone in the Portuguese language sphere.
Linudden.

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #13 on: March 3, 2019, 12:11:17 pm »
When I visited Lisbon in about summer 1998 we drove in via a route so we could see the Estadio da Luz, only it was in the midst of being demolished and there was only a small section left standing.  Most desolate sight in the world, a part-destroyed stadium.
They're the biggest club locked in a small league out there to me
There’s a ton of these clubs, of various statures, throughout Europe.  It’s ridiculous that they stay trapped while your Bournemouths and the like fill out the game’s top earners lists.

Online disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #14 on: March 3, 2019, 12:49:46 pm »
I've always preferred Sporting whenever they play but I have to say what a great club Benfica are. All of the big three are massive but Benfica are definitely the biggest. Speaking of Holland, both leagues are probably similar given their big 3 'monopoly', with Ajax, PSV and Feyenoord in the Eredevisie.

Best of luck to them, and maybe soon they'll end their European curse.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #15 on: March 3, 2019, 10:54:15 pm »
When I visited Lisbon in about summer 1998 we drove in via a route so we could see the Estadio da Luz, only it was in the midst of being demolished and there was only a small section left standing.  Most desolate sight in the world, a part-destroyed stadium.There’s a ton of these clubs, of various statures, throughout Europe.  It’s ridiculous that they stay trapped while your Bournemouths and the like fill out the game’s top earners lists.

Indeed, in Western Europe of course primarily Benfica, Porto and Sporting in their league but also Ajax, PSV, Feyenoord, Celtic and Rangers. Any Atlantic League with clubs like these could actually have been competitive and gained some good revenue, maybe even like Ligue 1. Either way, that's not going to make a difference in the Champions League regardless against the really big giants so there's not really a point in pursuing it.

Also though, being in a smaller league might be beneficial too. In Sweden Malmö FF have used their platform to gain European money that have made them have an asset base of more than £40 million along with a lot of domestic league titles. Malmö as a city and as a fanbase is similar to Cardiff and Nottingham, and more often than not cities like those are stuck in the Championship. Also FC København benefit a lot from such a structure. The most extreme example obviously is Basel. In an Atlantic League, they'd most likely struggle against the Dutch, Portuguese and Scottish teams though, because they don't have the same fanbases.
« Last Edit: March 3, 2019, 10:56:33 pm by Linudden »
Linudden.