Author Topic: Pele's 1,300 goals?  (Read 8763 times)

Offline La Vecchia Magpie

• Terry de Niro's Geordie rival...
  • Legacy Fan
Pele's 1,300 goals?
« on: December 19, 2010, 04:46:11 pm »
I know Pele was great and I'd never try and downplay his legacy or talent, but is there any proof the bloke did score 1,300 goals in his career? I find that very hard to believe.
The Wood Preservation Society. Hopefully that shed's the equivalent of Fritzel's cellar.

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Pele's 1,300 goals?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 04:53:13 pm »
No, a lot of them were also scored in youth matches so we'll never really know if that was real or not.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 04:54:51 pm by Y2J »
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 04:54:35 pm »
Sounds like it was a cracker then.
:lmao, edited it now
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Offline LF

• C
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2010, 04:56:13 pm »
Pele's actual record is 784 goals in 855 games, the 1300 total includes friendlies etc.

Offline Red Genius

• Part of the Neville clan. Voted "Most misnamed RAWKite" 2009-10. Reformed Coprophagiac
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2010, 05:00:02 pm »
Didn't Romario notch up a 1000 goals?
"I have been privileged and lucky to wear the legendary red shirt. No one can take it away from me. YNWA, I don't have to walk alone because Liverpool FC will always be in my heart."

The Legend - Sami Hyypia

Offline DM Red

• no it wasnt a knee jerk - just a jerk....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2010, 05:11:19 pm »
^^yea they started arranging games against crap lower teams and youth teams so help him reach it lol

Offline OohCampione

• RAWK Scribbler
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Convert
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2010, 05:29:33 pm »
Pele also included goals scored during training and warm ups.

Lately, the flacid one also adds those scored whilst playing Fifa and PES2011.
Quote from: Peter Griffin, Yesterday
"You'd better watch who you're calling a child, Lois. Because if I'm a child, you know what that makes you? A Pedophile. And I'll be damned if I'm gonna be lectured by a pervert."

Offline jDJ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2010, 05:33:07 pm »
Pele's actual record is 784 goals in 855 games, the 1300 total includes friendlies etc.

Still pretty respectable.

Offline Legendary

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm sorry Wayne. Please finish your cider.
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2010, 06:20:01 pm »
Obviously impressive, but it'd be like putting Torres in the championship or lower - the opposition Pele was playing against was not consistently at a very high level.
Every Kick. Every Half. Every Game. Every Year. Liverpool Football Club.

Offline Xxavi

• Qatari Minister Of Information
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2010, 06:26:32 pm »
Even for Romario, it started getting a bit weird. Those 1000 goals target was a bit of joke.

Offline Lawnmowerman

• Got married to Pique in April. Shakira isn't happy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2010, 06:26:42 pm »

Offline its cold in the stands

• e e cummings
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2010, 06:41:11 pm »
when players score that amount of goals it`s says more about the standard of footy they play in that the quality of the player.
to score a 1000 goals you`d have to score 50 goals a season, every season, for 20 years.
i remember rushie scoring 49 one season and that was incredible, to do that for another 19 seasons would be impossible.

Offline LF

• C
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2010, 06:51:31 pm »
Obviously impressive, but it'd be like putting Torres in the championship or lower - the opposition Pele was playing against was not consistently at a very high level.

Nice to see eurocentrism still lives on.  ::)

There was not much difference in football quality between Europe and S.America in Pele's time.

Offline Legendary

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm sorry Wayne. Please finish your cider.
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2010, 07:32:45 pm »
Nice to see eurocentrism still lives on.  ::)

There was not much difference in football quality between Europe and S.America in Pele's time.

I'm referring to the goals he would be scoring within his own league. Santos won consecutive league titles and Brazilian cups which can suggest that either Pele was so dominating, which no doubt he was, but it can also suggest that intra-league competition was not the highest.
Every Kick. Every Half. Every Game. Every Year. Liverpool Football Club.

Offline LF

• C
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2010, 07:55:49 pm »
I'm referring to the goals he would be scoring within his own league. Santos won consecutive league titles and Brazilian cups which can suggest that either Pele was so dominating, which no doubt he was, but it can also suggest that intra-league competition was not the highest.

How did you work that out?

Offline Ecuared

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2010, 08:13:36 pm »

Not true, the Brazilian league was one of the best in the world back then.
“He was a very good customer. He was just the three bottles of semi-skimmed. They didn’t have to be placed zonally on his step or anything. He was happy to have a chat and he would always look after you at Christmas.”

Offline koolkamal

• There's a kind of hush
  • Legacy Fan
  • Our dreams are what make us who we are.
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2010, 08:16:00 pm »

Or it could also suggest that Pele was just that good.
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them". Walt Disney

Offline alfonso

• Simply adores orange squash. With not one, not two either, but yea verily with three, that is correct, THREE ice cubes therein! Do not forget his straw though.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Salford - crime capital of England
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2010, 05:26:20 pm »
When you see some of the old footage of Pele getting the living shit kicked out of him you wonder how the likes of Ronaldo would have coped back then.
"I know Liverpool fans care more about their club's success than the national team." Rafael Benitez

"Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second." Bob Paisley

"When zonal marking goes wrong, the system is blamed. When man-to-man marking fails, an individual is blamed and the system goes uncriticised." A LFC fan talking sense

Offline alfonso

• Simply adores orange squash. With not one, not two either, but yea verily with three, that is correct, THREE ice cubes therein! Do not forget his straw though.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Salford - crime capital of England
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2010, 05:28:28 pm »

i remember rushie scoring 49 one season and that was incredible, to do that for another 19 seasons would be impossible.

Wasn't it 51 including a Wales goal and a penalty in Rome?  :)
"I know Liverpool fans care more about their club's success than the national team." Rafael Benitez

"Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second." Bob Paisley

"When zonal marking goes wrong, the system is blamed. When man-to-man marking fails, an individual is blamed and the system goes uncriticised." A LFC fan talking sense

Offline Cybertom

• Legacy Fan
  • Rodgers will lead us back to glory.
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2010, 05:49:09 pm »
How many of you rate Pele as the best footballer of all time?

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2010, 05:54:57 pm »

Meh been argued to death but the Brazilian league was the best in the world at that time, it's not like now where the top Brazilians play anywhere but Brazil, the cream of the crop played in their home league up until the 80s. Hence us getting stuffed once upon a time by a Zico led flamengo side
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline Xxavi

• Qatari Minister Of Information
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2010, 06:01:33 pm »
How many of you rate Pele as the best footballer of all time?
I rate him as one of the best ever along with Maradona and Messi (yes, the latter is a personal opinion of mine), but not because of 1300 goals he scored. More because of 3 world cups, and performances in them, as well as his time in Santos when they beat top European clubs.

The 1300 goal thing is full of "fake goals" if you will, just to get him as high as possible. Romario had a lot of such goals too.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 08:15:47 pm by Xxavi »

Offline Cybertom

• Legacy Fan
  • Rodgers will lead us back to glory.
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2010, 06:32:28 pm »
I rate him as one of the best ever along with Maradona and Messi (yes, the latter is a personal opinion of mine), but not because of 1300 goals he scored. More because of 3 world cups, and performances in them, as well as his time in Santos when they beat top European clubs.

The 1300 goal thing is full of "fake goals" if you win, just to get him as high as possible. Romario had a lot of such goals too.
I agree entirely with your opinion; Messi is in the same bracket as those two legends and Pele's consistent performances in the WC's make him so well known and respected.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 06:35:01 pm by Cybertom »

Offline Macca201188

• Kopite
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2010, 01:15:24 pm »

Unbelievable!
The reds are comin up the hill boys....

Offline filthy1980

• tax dodger
  • Kopite
  • conspiracy shite
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2010, 01:24:32 pm »
the goals number is clearly exaggerated  . . . but shouldn't take away from how great he was

in recent years i was in the maradonna camp in term of GOAT, but then saw "footballs greatest" recently and saw footage of pele and you can see that his power pace and technical ability were equal to players of today and the reason he stood out so much

so no again i can't choose between pele and maradonna as GOAT

although pele's self promotion is annoying it still doesn't change how good he was

Offline WorldChampions

• Charlie uniform november tango fan...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2010, 02:11:52 pm »
Excuse my ignorance but WTF is GOAT?

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2010, 02:14:14 pm »
Excuse my ignorance but WTF is GOAT?

Greatest of all Time...only know that because Maurice (not a GOAT) Greene had it tattooed on his arm I think.

By the way I have it on good record that at least 2 of Pele's goals were offside. The flaming cheat. It seemed that when I were a lad it was a given that Pele was the greatest. In recent years there has been more and more clamour to crown Maradona as the best ever and a belittling of Pele in the process. I haven't seen enough bar the usual footage to know but to win the World Cup at 17 and 3 times in total is pretty special.

Offline placidcasual

• Main Stander
  • No you won't fool the children of the Rafalution
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2010, 09:17:51 pm »
Pele is a fraud.

Offline NeoAdjuvant

• Kopite
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2010, 10:06:09 pm »
Read an article years ago that had interviews with both Pele and Maradona, and the whole basis of the article was "Who was the best?".

They both said Di Stefano.
But like the jet engine, there's sadly very little this country does better than having the raw materials to do something truly amazing that would benefit the whole of society only to piss it away due to a total lack of long term thinking and/or suspicion of anything European.

Offline Danyaals Kop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • allez les rouges
« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2010, 06:14:43 pm »

Is a fact, Yes ?

Offline DM Red

• no it wasnt a knee jerk - just a jerk....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2010, 07:03:30 pm »

Not true, the Brazilian league was one of the best in the world back then.

this. and that Santos team was probably the best club side in the world.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2010, 07:08:54 pm by DM Red »

Offline pathetic

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2010, 07:19:33 pm »
Read an article years ago that had interviews with both Pele and Maradona, and the whole basis of the article was "Who was the best?".

They both said Di Stefano.

They hate each other, so it's obvious they weren't gonna say that either of them where the best, no?

Offline Mr Dilkington

• would rather be too cold than too hot
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never buy the Sun
    • www.level3football.com
« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2010, 08:11:28 pm »
For me, Pele was the best. Agree with Lfsea, if you want some history and insight into the South American game, listen to the World Football Phone In, one of the best football podcasts going. Tim Vickery is my personal favourite football broadcaster working today, he's a student of the game and always offers an intruiging opinion.

For example, when someone says, Pele wasn't as good as Garrincha, and the people of Brazil hold Garrincha in higher regard, Vickery says it's a load of nonsense, which is absoloutely right.
You change all the lead, sleeping in my head, as the day grows dim, I hear you sing a golden hymn.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2010, 11:55:42 pm »
Pele was incredible.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Frank.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #34 on: December 25, 2010, 01:08:52 am »
Prefer Kenwyne Jones myself

Offline Endoe

• Legacy Fan
  • A liverbird on my chest
« Reply #35 on: December 25, 2010, 05:24:05 am »
Sounds like it was a cracker then.
hahahaha

Offline Endoe

• Legacy Fan
  • A liverbird on my chest
« Reply #36 on: December 25, 2010, 05:25:53 am »
For me, Pele was the best. Agree with Lfsea, if you want some history and insight into the South American game, listen to the World Football Phone In, one of the best football podcasts going. Tim Vickery is my personal favourite football broadcaster working today, he's a student of the game and always offers an intruiging opinion.

For example, when someone says, Pele wasn't as good as Garrincha, and the people of Brazil hold Garrincha in higher regard, Vickery says it's a load of nonsense, which is absoloutely right.
Vickery is very good, knows his South American stuff.