Author Topic: Rhian Brewster  (Read 332067 times)

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Rhian Brewster, set to stay
« Reply #400 on: June 18, 2018, 12:32:29 pm »
Haven't seen much of him but don't get the hype. Doesn't seem like he is better than Sterling was at the age. Is he really as good as Klopp makes it out, and can he contribute to the first team squad next season.
What are his main strengths, is it only finishing or does he have genuine pace and skills.
He's not mate, and is probably nowhere near where Sterling was at that age (imo), and I'm pretty sure no one's saying he's better than Sterling was at the same age - if they are then I'm not quite sure what they're seeing. Sterling was exceptional as a teenager though, probably only Owen and Rooney have been better at 17-18 in the UK in my lifetime (actually, maybe Fabregas too, and I;m sure there are a couple I've forgotten, but not many - Sterling really was a prodigy). Not being as good as Sterling was as an 18 year old is no great cause for concern though - many players.

As to what type of player he is, many above have described his strengths better than I ever could, so have a scan through. Do I reckon he can contribute next year? Yeah for sure, but I wouldn't be expecting Owen/Sterling at age 17 fireworks, and if he's kept around and doesn't go on loan I imagine we'll see even less of him than we did of Solanke this year.

Offline Djimi Smicer34

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #401 on: June 18, 2018, 03:38:25 pm »
Haven't seen much of him but don't get the hype. Doesn't seem like he is better than Sterling was at the age. Is he really as good as Klopp makes it out, and can he contribute to the first team squad next season.
What are his main strengths, is it only finishing or does he have genuine pace and skills.

Would Klopp and the club have put as much effort into convincing him to stay if he wasn't?

And no, there is far more to his game than just his finishing.

Offline eAyeAddio

• Legacy Fan
  • The last Kremlin-esque figure in The Main Stand...
« Reply #402 on: June 18, 2018, 03:56:10 pm »
.....Doesn't seem like he is better than Sterling was at the age.......

Jesus.   God forbid that we have another Sterling in our squad.
They laugh at me because I'm different.
I laugh at them because they are all the same.....

Offline -HH-

• 'cocky bastard'?
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never forget the Hillsborough victims
    • Footy fans
« Reply #403 on: June 18, 2018, 09:21:49 pm »
Jesus.   God forbid that we have another Sterling in our squad.

Yeah, arguably the best young English player to come through in the last ten years.... would be shit if we had another of those! ::)
Balotelli, Falcao, Cavani...

I'll be shocked if it's anyone other Etoo. Etoo or no-one. Simples.

In fact, I'll do you all a favor and ban myself from the January transfer window forum if we get anyone other than Etoo.

Offline Persephone

• Legacy Fan
  • Who ate all the bloody Pringles?
« Reply #404 on: June 18, 2018, 09:32:24 pm »
Yeah, arguably the best young English player to come through in the last ten years.... would be shit if we had another of those! ::)
How dare you, Sir?! The best "young" English player to grace these shores is clearly Sir Harry Claim. Have a word with yourself.
I’ve plenty links to the clubs playing and backroom staff as many on here know thank you very much. Fair enough, I admire your optimism. But you’re absolute ostriches if you think this squad, even with 2 or 3 new, “cut price” players with potential get us anywhere close

Offline -HH-

• 'cocky bastard'?
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never forget the Hillsborough victims
    • Footy fans
« Reply #405 on: June 18, 2018, 09:43:41 pm »
How dare you, Sir?! The best "young" English player to grace these shores is clearly Sir Harry Claim. Have a word with yourself.

To be fair, whatever you think of him as a person he is also one of the best.
Balotelli, Falcao, Cavani...

I'll be shocked if it's anyone other Etoo. Etoo or no-one. Simples.

In fact, I'll do you all a favor and ban myself from the January transfer window forum if we get anyone other than Etoo.

Offline DanA

• misses the Eurovision Glory Days.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #406 on: June 19, 2018, 04:54:09 am »

He was 20 y.o before he broke into the team wasn't he? Don't think he was really the child prodigy that Sterling was.
Quote from: hinesy
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Offline OOS

• Jordan Henderson fanclub member #4
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #407 on: June 19, 2018, 07:07:34 am »
He better be the dogs bollocks if he is our back up striker to Firmino next season. Big pressure but massive opportunity for the lad.
"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape." - Thom Yorke

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #408 on: June 19, 2018, 07:16:31 am »
To be fair, whatever you think of him as a person he is also one of the best.

He's almost undoubtedly the best English player over the last 5/6 years, but he certainly wasn't some sort of 17/18 year old prodigy like Sterling or Owen/Fowler/Rooney were previously.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #409 on: June 19, 2018, 11:53:50 am »
He better be the dogs bollocks if he is our back up striker to Firmino next season. Big pressure but massive opportunity for the lad.
I'd be massively surprised if he's first backup to Firmino. We'll probably keep at least one of Origi/Solanke/Ings around, plus the wide players can play there, plus we're probably going to get at least one attacker in, although that may well be someone whose preferred position is out wide. Would be a bit mad if the situation is "fuck, Bobby's out for a month, you're up Rhian."

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #410 on: June 19, 2018, 12:17:22 pm »

At the very least he’ll be behind Firmino and Solanke.  Then we still have Origi and Ings, who may likely be sold, but at the moment would be ahead of him too. 

Offline BabuYagu

• It's Portuguese for 'BabyYoghurt'. The John Motson of RAWK. Or Barry Davies. Or Charley Boorman, even. Expertly silent fist-pumper. Needs to pay more attention. Repeatly analing goalkeepers.
  • Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
    • Wakelet of the Articles I have written
« Reply #411 on: June 19, 2018, 12:18:40 pm »
He's almost undoubtedly the best English player over the last 5/6 years, but he certainly wasn't some sort of 17/18 year old prodigy like Sterling or Owen/Fowler/Rooney were previously.

He obviously hasn't been around that long as he is still being nominated for young player of the year award. So I imagine he is max 21/22. Still just a kid.

The truth is, teens playing for top teams is a very rare thing and it an unlikely path for any player into pro-football. Most break out later, or on loan, or at smaller clubs before being picked up by the elites. We probably shouldn't be using the likes of Rooney/Fowler/Owen as our expectations of young players to suggest that they will never be good enough if they aren't starting games at that age. I've seen Wilson written off on here for exactly that reason. Woodburn has "regressed" too at 18. Curtis Jones probably has one more season to make a contribution for us in the Premier League before some are suggesting he is shit and looking for the next 15 year old to pin wild expectations on :D (None of this is aimed at you Eel Lobo btw)
My first article on Anfield Index on Shaqiri. Enjoy. bit.ly/2mAq3Qd

Offline phil236849

• loves a Kwenchy Kup
  • Legacy Fan
  • Across the face of the goal
« Reply #412 on: June 19, 2018, 01:39:57 pm »

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #413 on: June 19, 2018, 04:16:10 pm »
Big interview - a very ambitious young player
http://www.goal.com/en/news/liverpool-rhian-brewster-ambitions-klopp-trent-alexander/smnvmpye2y6r15tuedoatw3q6

'I know what I want to achieve' - Rhian Brewster opens up on Liverpool ambitions

Neil Jones

The 18-year-old talks about his dream of playing for Jurgen Klopp's first team at Anfield as he hopes to follow Trent Alexander-Arnold to stardom

Edgeley Park, Stockport. The archetypal ‘old school’ football ground, hidden away among a cluster of tight-knit terraced houses in the heart of a community.

It’s seen better days, of course. It could do with a lick of paint here and there, and the pitch has been ripped up to be re-laid ahead of next season. “Much needed,” says the guard on the gate.

At one end of the ground, the 31st Stockport Beer & Cider Festival is in full swing. Pies and pints are keeping the patrons happy, while a local Ska band will take to the stage later in the evening. For £2, it’s a decent day out. “A proper community event,” says one happy customer.

Goal, though, is here for something else. Over in the Danny Bergara Stand – named after the man who guided tiny Stockport County to four Wembley finals in the 1990s – one of English football’s brightest young prospects is waiting to speak to us.

He’s got plenty to talk about, too. Rhian Brewster may only have turned 18 in April, he may not have made a senior club appearance yet, but as interviewees go he’s as eloquent, thoughtful and interesting as they come. The boy has things to say, and he knows how to say them.

He’s here for a fashion shoot, promoting Lyle & Scott’s latest range, but over the course of our chat he speaks with great maturity about issues ranging from racism to transfer rumours to the difficulties English football has in bringing through young talents. Eighteen years old? You sure?

The obvious place to start is with Brewster’s own situation, which at the time of the interview remained uncertain. Interest from Germany, in the shape of Borussia Monchengladbach and RB Leipzig, had been widely reported. Liverpool were desperate to keep their young star, but had yet to convince him to sign a professional contract at Anfield.

The scene has changed since, which is good news for the Reds. Though Brewster's deal is still, as we speak, unsigned, the understanding is that he will be staying on Merseyside, having been convinced by the club's plans for him. It's a big call, but one Liverpool and Jurgen Klopp are very happy with.

So what does the man himself make of it all, then?

“At the moment, I just want to be playing regular professional football for the first team,” Brewster tells Goal. "Whether that was at Liverpool or somewhere else, yeah it was uncertain.

“But hopefully in 12 months’ time I’ll be sat here saying I made the right decision in what I chose to do. I want to be able to reflect positively on that.”

It is clear that this was not to be a decision motivated by money, but by opportunity. Brewster's desire to play senior football, even at such a tender age, shines through in just about everything he says. He wants to go to the top, and he's not shy of saying so.

He has already made one big call in his young career, leaving Chelsea at the age of 15 to move to Liverpool because he felt the pathway was clearer. He's a smart boy who knows what he wants.

But with Premier League clubs finding it harder and harder to bring through youth graduates to their first team – Chelsea, in particular, have become emblematic of the struggle – alternative options have been emerging. The Bundesliga has already tempted English players across, with Reece Oxford and Ademola Lookman enjoying loan spells of differing success, and Jadon Sancho swapping Manchester City for Borussia Dortmund.

Sancho’s case is particularly instructive. He and Brewster were born a week apart, both in London, and have grown up together through the England youth system. They were both members of the U17 World Cup winning squad last year, and both are tipped for big, big things.

So was Brewster tempted to follow his pal to Germany?

“Sure, I look at people like Jadon,” he says. “But then I look at people like Trent [Alexander-Arnold].

“You can do it both ways. You can go down the road of staying, waiting for a chance and then taking it, like Trent did, or you can look at it like Jadon did, and think maybe I won’t get my chance here, so I can go somewhere else, abroad maybe. I look at it both ways.

“I’m going to do what’s best for me. If that meant going Jadon’s way, I’d go Jadon’s way. If it means staying and doing what Trent did, then I’ll do a Trent!"

'A Trent' it is then. Like Alexander-Arnold, Brewster certainly has the talent to make an impact on Liverpool's first team, and the club's reluctance to sign a striker this summer shows exactly what they think of him. He will be fast-tracked towards the first team under Klopp, who is as big a fan as anyone.

It is perhaps unusual to hear a player, and especially one so young, speak so clearly about their ambitions, but if strikers are supposed to be single-minded and driven, then Brewster ticks all the boxes.

“I just know what I want in life,” he says “I know what I want to achieve.

“People say ‘follow your dream’ and that’s what I want to do. But there are others who try and put you down.

“Those people, they only inspire me. If they hate on me for doing something good, then it makes me want to do even better and stay at that level.

“I love it, to be fair. If you play football and fans are booing or saying negative stuff, it makes me play better. All I want to do is put the ball in the back of the net and say, ‘what are you gonna say now?’ If I have a centre back giving me stick, I want to score and say, ‘shut your mouth!’ It makes me strive, man.”

That ambition and that work ethic will be needed if he is to complete the journey from talented prodigy into established professional. When we meet, he is still using crutches, recovering from a serious ankle and knee injury suffered playing for Liverpool’s U23 side in January. It is expected that he will be out of action until late-August.

In the meantime, he has been using his time wisely. He is a regular at Anfield, an avid football watcher. He was in Kiev for the recent Champions League final, watching Alexander-Arnold, watching Sadio Mane, watching Roberto Firmino. His eyes, naturally, are drawn to those he wants to emulate – or to overtake.

“I don’t switch off,” he says. “I like to watch the games, and watch what I am missing. It makes me want to be out there even more.

“Being injured gives you the chance to reflect on the players who play in your position, too. You see things you can do, things you can maybe do better. It’s about doing everything you can to get to the top, so any little advantage you can take, you should do it.

“I do it off my own back. The staff at the Academy will sometimes invite me to games, but it’s more something I like to do myself. I like to watch Firmino and the rest. It’s about being the best I can be, and if that means learning stuff off other people, then I’ll do it.”

He's warming to the theme now, his eyes lighting up as he discusses the strikers he admires from around the world - past and present.

“If I was building an ideal striker?” he smiles. “Ooh, it’d be a bit of Firmino, a bit of Suarez, and a bit of Thierry Henry.

“Growing up, Henry was my idol. He’s the reason I wanted to play football. If you could put all those three together, you’d have some player!”

And what about himself? Where do Rhian Brewster’s strengths and weaknesses lie?

“Obviously you want to be the perfect player, so you have to always work towards that aim,” he says. “If that’s working on my left foot, scoring goals with both feet, then that’s what I’ll work on. Or if it’s my first touch or my physical attributes, I’ll work on those. You can’t stop working.

“Mentally and tactically as well, you have to develop. You could play for different managers, who want different things, so you need to be able to adapt to everything. If you do that, you will play.

“You don’t want to be just a big striker that only plays one way or under one manager, you want to be able to do everything, whatever a manager needs from you.

“I speak to a lot of people, to get their advice and their thoughts. But ultimately, you have to do what you want to do. What’s in your head? If you want to be at the top, be at the top. If that means making sacrifices, then that’s what I am going to do.

“No, it’s not easy! I still have my friends, and they’re wanting to go out places and stuff. I can’t. I train and I rest and I play. Even when I’m off, I have to be careful, I still have to do the right things. For me, it’s about being careful and sensible. You make big sacrifices, staying in, eating the right things, but that’s what you have to do to get to the top – and I want to get to the top.

“Of course it’s been hard. Your friends are chilling while you’re training, but what would you rather do? Go to their house and chill, or go training? My rewards will come.

“At the end of the day, I’m doing something I love. In the future, that may lead to money, but the main thing is that you don’t want to be in a job that you don’t like. You want to be in a job that you love, where it doesn’t feel like work.”

How refreshing to hear, especially from someone who has already seen both sides of ‘The Beautiful Game’. World Cup wins, golden boots and eye-catching performances are one thing, but Brewster - still a teenager remember - has already felt compelled to speak up about one of the game’s big issues; racism. An interview given to The Guardian in December detailed seven separate instances where he has suffered abuse playing for club and country.

One of those was during a UEFA Youth League game for Liverpool against Spartak Moscow at Tranmere Rovers’ Prenton Park ground. Brewster reported the incident to UEFA, but saw the case dropped three months later due to ‘insufficient evidence’. He was not surprised.

“No, not at all,” he says. “I just wanted to put my voice out there and be heard. No it doesn’t surprise me the way the ruling went, but hopefully it does change at some point in the future, and that it helps bring the rubbishness out of football.

“With the World Cup being in Russia, I hope no-one gets abused over there. I think it happened recently with France, but my hope is that something can be done about it and we can change it, to be honest.

“You hope it doesn’t happen to anyone else, but if it does then my advice is to follow the rules. Control yourself, as hard as that is, tell people and speak up. It’s not easy, but it's the best way.”

Of course speaking out about such issues is important, but for one so young to do so was striking. Brewster's courage struck a chord within football; the reaction to his interview was huge, elevating him into the public eye perhaps more so even than his exploits at the U17 World Cup a few months previously.

He is thankful for Liverpool’s support during that period. Klopp made a point of mentioning Brewster in a speech given to the Football Writers’ Association at their annual awards dinner last month, praising the youngster’s “power, command and composure” in going public on such an important issue.

“It’s a really close-knit club,” Brewster says. “The feedback and the vibe I got off them was that we are a family. Everyone was behind me, nobody said I shouldn’t do it.

“Even the fans, I got lots of messages and I really appreciate that. No-one was against what I did. It was a bad time, but people were there for me. I won’t forget that.”

Of course having a public profile comes with its own risks; scrutiny of footballers is huge, whether they are 18 or 30. The social media age means fame is instant, but so is judgement. Every move is analysed, debated, criticised.

Can Brewster, a Londoner born and raised in Chadwell Heath, handle all that? Is he spotting the looks from strangers in the street?

“Yeah man, I see it!” he smiles. “When people look at me, I look at them back like ‘what you looking at?’ but I have to be careful now! They know my face!

“It happens when I’m out and about at home or in Liverpool, I get asked to take pictures and stuff. It can be a good and a bad thing, but for me it’s more good than bad. It shows that people are recognising you and that you are progressing.

“Where I’m from, you have to grow up quickly. That’s a fact. I just want to be a footballer and a big face in the game. I want to be an idol to young children. It’s starting to happen now, and I hope it continues."

It will do so at Liverpool, for now at least. But wherever that first-team chance comes, you can be sure Rhian Brewster will do everything he can to take it. It's just who he is.

“You have to stamp your mark,” he says. “You have to get the chance and you have to take it.

“My hope now is to be playing regular football, so I can play at the highest level for club and country. The next World Cup or even the next Euros, I want to be in with a shot of being picked. That’s what I strive for, to be the best I can be, to hopefully give me the best opportunity to get there.

“The only way you can do that is by getting a chance in club football. I can’t wait for mine.”
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline jammy dodger

• going to make your vagina cry
  • Legacy Fan
  • pass and move.
« Reply #414 on: June 19, 2018, 06:02:59 pm »
I don't necessarily expect chest thumping roars of adulation towards the club at all times from all players, but the blase way in which he talks about playing for Liverpool doesn't quite fill me with enthusiasm for his long-term future with us. It's interesting that he's been making such a scene about 'first team football' and 'opportunities' when he's been injured for half a year anyway. Not sure about this one. Think he'd be on the first train outta here if he sniffed a 'better' opportunity, which it seems, right now, he has not.
"Anything can happen. Danny Ings can happen" - Ellie Goulding

Offline MobileBayRed

• Kopite
« Reply #415 on: June 19, 2018, 06:26:11 pm »
I don't necessarily expect chest thumping roars of adulation towards the club at all times from all players, but the blase way in which he talks about playing for Liverpool doesn't quite fill me with enthusiasm for his long-term future with us. It's interesting that he's been making such a scene about 'first team football' and 'opportunities' when he's been injured for half a year anyway. Not sure about this one. Think he'd be on the first train outta here if he sniffed a 'better' opportunity, which it seems, right now, he has not.

From the article: "The obvious place to start is with Brewster’s own situation, which at the time of the interview remained uncertain. Interest from Germany, in the shape of Borussia Monchengladbach and RB Leipzig, had been widely reported. Liverpool were desperate to keep their young star, but had yet to convince him to sign a professional contract at Anfield."

Appears that the article was written before he signed for Liverpool which may explain why he played it so close to the vest.
just can't confirm that delivery address and consequently gets non stop pelters off PayPal.

Offline Bergersrightwingviews

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #416 on: June 19, 2018, 07:00:40 pm »
So how good is he? Good enough to make a real and regular contribution of the bench? Good enough to start in the cups or is he still going to be fighting for a few minutes here and there next season?
Roger Scruton was right about everything.

Online Bend It Like Aurelio

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #417 on: June 20, 2018, 07:15:31 am »
So how good is he? Good enough to make a real and regular contribution of the bench? Good enough to start in the cups or is he still going to be fighting for a few minutes here and there next season?

He’s never played first team football, so your guess is as good as anyone’s. But Klopp obviously rates him, so you imagine he’s going to at least give him the chance to contribute.

But hopefully he will fulfill his potential, like Trent has,

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #418 on: June 20, 2018, 07:32:19 am »
I'd be surprised if he plays more than 200 minutes.

Offline BTGH

• Anny Roader
« Reply #419 on: June 20, 2018, 08:29:04 am »

yup. clearly based on his comments "“I’m going to do what’s best for me. If that meant going Jadon’s way, I’d go Jadon’s way. If it means staying and doing what Trent did, then I’ll do a Trent!"", he will decide what is best for himself, whether if that's at Liverpool or anywhere else.  Not right or wrong, it's just how he rolls.  He is a footballer with no particularly strong affinity to Liverpool, so I would hazard a guess that if he becomes a regular of the first team, he will do a "Sterling" instead in the next few years

Online spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #420 on: June 20, 2018, 08:42:03 am »
HIs dad is a massive Liverpool but I don't think that will hold much sway with Rhian. The number of minutes he gets will be entirely up to him. If he is introduced and is a revelation then the minimum he will get is minutes from the bench in every game a well as the domestic cup games. It's obvious the club rate him highly, hence not being in the market for a striker this summer (according to reports).
Lastly, Rhian, your mum is hot.

Offline ThePoolMan

• Not quite the Pool Man, more like the ESL Man
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #421 on: June 20, 2018, 09:18:01 am »
He certainly has his head screwed on right and quite rightly, he has to do what is good for his career and I do not think anyone can blame him for that.

Offline Dubred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #422 on: June 20, 2018, 09:53:55 am »
He certainly has his head screwed on right and quite rightly, he has to do what is good for his career and I do not think anyone can blame him for that.

Absolutely.  In that career, the footballer (unfortunately for us fans) needs to put himself first. 

Now there's a difference between shitting on your current club and doing whats best for your career.  Don't have a problem with players doing whats best for their career if done in a reasonable fashion.

But it boils down as always to how successful we can be.  If we can start winning trophies, players not only will want to come here, but players won't want to leave either.

He's a determined young lad, and if he fulfills his ambitions, would be great to have him do that here. 

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #423 on: June 20, 2018, 10:36:03 am »
Hopefully it's him and Solanke as no.9 back-ups , other 3 strikers should not block their progress and leave.

Offline ScubaSteve

• Sworn enemy of SnorkelStephanie
  • Legacy Fan
  • Every other Saturday's me half day off......
« Reply #424 on: June 20, 2018, 11:38:26 am »
Hopefully it's him and Solanke as no.9 back-ups , other 3 strikers should not block their progress and leave.

I agree, Ings and Sturridge and whoever should make way and get them more game time

Offline Bergersrightwingviews

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #425 on: June 20, 2018, 12:01:58 pm »
Just can't get a read on him at all as I have only seen highlights. Seems a good finisher and movement looks clever. Does not look particularly quick or skillful. Is he a poacher type?
Roger Scruton was right about everything.

Online spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #426 on: June 20, 2018, 12:42:42 pm »
Having seen Brewster for the reserves, the best thing about him is his determination and his willingness to grab the game by the scruff of the neck.
Scout Nation list determination as his biggest asset and it's true.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLIi6NRowRE

IMHO, mindset is almost as important as talent with regards to making it (or not).

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #427 on: June 20, 2018, 01:32:20 pm »
I like his attitude, nothing wrong with what he said, all fairly realistic and open minded stuff.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #428 on: June 20, 2018, 03:35:14 pm »
I like his attitude, nothing wrong with what he said, all fairly realistic and open minded stuff.
People say this, but isn't that the attitude of a self-centered selfish mercenary? It works now because he saw future with us. Otherwise he would have been off to Gladbach with the exact same attitude and how would you feel then?

Edit: After rereading that, it seems that I'm putting him down. Not intended. What I wanted to say is that he stays with us because it suits him, not of love for the club.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 03:41:32 pm by farawayred »
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Djimi Smicer34

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #429 on: June 20, 2018, 03:42:36 pm »
People say this, but isn't that the attitude of a self-centered selfish mercenary? It works now because he saw future with us. Otherwise he would have been off to Gladbach with the exact same attitude and how would you feel then?

That he took what he believed to be the best decision for his career.

I don't think Jadon Sancho was a mercenary for deciding that Borussia Dortmund was the better club to continue his development at rather than Man City, I wouldn't have thought it of Brewster.  I'm delighted he seemingly does think Liverpool is the best place for him because he's an outstanding young talent, but I have no problem with young players like Brewster taking their time in making these decisions.

Offline northern Monkey

• Kopite
« Reply #430 on: June 20, 2018, 03:45:46 pm »

Edit: After rereading that, it seems that I'm putting him down. Not intended. What I wanted to say is that he stays with us because it suits him, not of love for the club.

I stay with my employer because it suits me and is best, not because I love the place.

For many, football is just like that.  Nothing wrong with what he has done and he has been quite transparent about it which I can respect.

You're quite right in what you say but why would that be any issue?  Part of the club's remit is to be an attractive employer after all.

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #431 on: June 20, 2018, 03:46:59 pm »
That he took what he believed to be the best decision for his career.

I don't think Jadon Sancho was a mercenary for deciding that Borussia Dortmund was the better club to continue his development at rather than Man City, I wouldn't have thought it of Brewster.  I'm delighted he seemingly does think Liverpool is the best place for him because he's an outstanding young talent, but I have no problem with young players like Brewster taking their time in making these decisions.
Sure, it's the reality of the world we live in. I accept that. The Gerrards of this day and age are non-existent.

Offline Uncle Ronnie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #432 on: June 20, 2018, 03:48:23 pm »

Does that matter? Do you think Salah or Mane etc. would stay for the love of the club if we don't win anything in the next few years. Or will Woodburn stay if he's not getting games? He wants what's best for his career. He actually joined Liverpool because he felt he wouldn't get his chance at Chelsea.

And in relation to Gerrard, twice he looked to leave.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #433 on: June 20, 2018, 03:51:14 pm »

EVERYONE in modern day age in football stays at the club because it SUITS THEM, not for the love of the club. Granted they can love the club whilst they play here, but this romantic notion that people ONLY play for the club because they LOVE it, is fantasy.

There are very few players who are like that. So for him, at his age, his career is most important, whether it be here or elsewhere, that's nothing new.

I am surprised why people are surprised by that.

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #434 on: June 20, 2018, 03:57:22 pm »
EVERYONE in modern day age in football stays at the club because it SUITS THEM, not for the love of the club. Granted they can love the club whilst they play here, but this romantic notion that people ONLY play for the club because they LOVE it, is fantasy.

There are very few players who are like that. So for him, at his age, his career is most important, whether it be here or elsewhere, that's nothing new.

I am surprised why people are surprised by that.
Not a surprise at all. And I get it. But what you are describing are the conditions for just any other job, never mind sports. I stay in my job because I love it. And yes, sometimes I think of changing it, but I didn't in the last 16 years. And while I love what I do, I would love it the same if I did it somewhere else.

Maybe I'm wrong or nostalgic, but football used to be more than a job... Maybe that's why I have enormous respect for one-team players.

Offline Djimi Smicer34

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #435 on: June 20, 2018, 03:58:03 pm »
Sure, it's the reality of the world we live in. I accept that. The Gerrards of this day and age are non-existent.

If Brewster didn't feel some sort of affinity with the club and the manager then I think he would have gone.

It works both ways really - players like Spearing and Flanagan loved the club but when we made up our minds that neither were good enough, we got rid.  What I would say is Brewster has got a very sensible head on his shoulders - you only have to look at what he went through in regards to racism last season and how he responded to it to see that.  And I like that he's wanted assurances from Klopp about his development at Liverpool before he agreed to stay; that, to me, is a sign of a strong character and a belief in his own ability rather than arrogance or a mercenary attitude. 

More young players should have that kind of outlook IMO.

Offline BabuYagu

• It's Portuguese for 'BabyYoghurt'. The John Motson of RAWK. Or Barry Davies. Or Charley Boorman, even. Expertly silent fist-pumper. Needs to pay more attention. Repeatly analing goalkeepers.
  • Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
« Reply #436 on: June 20, 2018, 04:02:33 pm »
The reality is, as a pacey young striker, he likely has a 10-12 year career. There aren't many forwards with his profile that will still be playing at top clubs and international football after 30.

If he stays here and doesn't get much first team football by 22 as we see with lots of these kids, then that is 1/3rd of his career gone and he is then playing catch up. If his ambition is to be playing in the next major tournaments for England, he needs to be somewhere he can do enough to get into the side as Rashford has. If that is here, then great. If it isn't though, then there is a disconnect between his and our views in terms of where he is at as a footballer.

I don't blame players for looking for to fulfil their ambitions as they have a tiny window to do so and it goes very quickly. I had lots of clients who were footballers towards the back ends of their careers and it was the ones who didn't break through until later that were full of regret - that felt like they only had a 7 year career instead of 15+.

I never really harboured any resentment towards Coutinho for that reason. Or Suarez. They were always upfront about the fact that Barcelona was their #1 destination, we knew that when signing them and they made that clear when the chance came their way to move to them.

Where I do have a problem is when I feel like people have strung along or tricked the club for their own interests - like Macca, Owen or to some extent, Can. Insisting right up until they are leaving they still may sign a contract. There is a level of deception there that I am uncomfortable with. I don't get that from Brewster.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #437 on: June 20, 2018, 04:28:20 pm »
Has he actually signed the contract though?

The reason I ask is that a downmarket tabloid has said the Spurs and Arsenal are interested in him.

Offline BabuYagu

• Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
« Reply #438 on: June 20, 2018, 04:32:37 pm »
Has he actually signed the contract though?

The reason I ask is that a downmarket tabloid has said the Spurs and Arsenal are interested in him.
Given where that link is from, and their fame for making shit up, I wouldn't even entertain discussing that on here.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #439 on: June 20, 2018, 04:39:33 pm »
Not a surprise at all. And I get it. But what you are describing are the conditions for just any other job, never mind sports. I stay in my job because I love it. And yes, sometimes I think of changing it, but I didn't in the last 16 years. And while I love what I do, I would love it the same if I did it somewhere else.

Maybe I'm wrong or nostalgic, but football used to be more than a job... Maybe that's why I have enormous respect for one-team players.

I guess he would see it different had he been with us for more than 4yrs,he left Chelsea because he couldn't see a path to the 1st team & flirted with moving on again for the same reason.

All immaterial now because he has signed and will get to try and prove himself.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill