Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
Liverpool FC Forum / Re: Mohamed Salah - Best in the World *
« Last post by JC the Messiah on Today at 11:24:00 am »
Most interesting thing about Mo from the west ham game is that cover attack when he showed he's still got his blistering pace. Shame the pass to Nunez wasn't right, but I actually think that could have also been largely down to Nunez' position and line he was running.

Anyway, was good to see him running with the ball like that.
Liverpool FC Forum / Re: Darwin Núñez (Darwin Gabriel Núñez Ribeiro)
« Last post by kop306 on Today at 11:23:39 am »
General Football and Sport / Re: Arsenal: Top of the divers league
« Last post by JRed on Today at 11:23:32 am »
A dad of my kids’ mates is an Arsenal fan and was pissing himself about Everton beating us the other night and also told me he took the piss out of my son about it. So as a petty person I am fully wanting a Spurs win today so he knows how it feels to lose a local Derby at this time of year.

Oh when the Spurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrs…
Damn right Nick!
He sounds like a right prick
COYS
Your assessment of evidence doesn't inspire confidence in anything you say. BBC Match of the Day covered the incident closely. No one defended Taylor. Quite the opposite.

The match report https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68862599 makes zero mention of it and while Wright, Shearer and Lineker did discuss and rip it apart, as Al says, Pearce totally glossed over it and actually claimed in commentary that Taylor saw Areola was injured, even though he was telling him to play on and the fucker was stood pulling his socks up.
It isn't that it's not relevant, but it's the same for every player. Nobody plays the full 90 every week. 20 league goals a season has always pretty much been the barometer of an elite centre forward. He's had a lot of minutes this year, he's not missed months through injury. He's on 11 league goals. It's an objectively crap return.

It’s not a partly relevant debatable thing … it’s literally how much a player has played
He’s a talented boy but it’s really hard to score goals when you’re not on the pitch
Jotas got 10 league goals … an “objectively” even crapper return
Kevin De Bruynes got 4 league goals… the washed up loser

Come on… we all get that there’s a debate around Nunez’s level but you’ve got to have it in good faith
Players can’t score when they’re not on the pitch (sort of mad that has to be spelt out but that’s what you and others are currently arguing against)

That’s obviously the very top line way of looking at it, I imagine the entire approach is done much more collaboratively.

The club will have people consistently reviewing everything: key performance metrics for each position/player; data science; fitness performance; levels in training; athleticism and many other things. We’ll keep tabs on all of this throughout a season and anecdotal input will be added from the manager and coaching staff, things like the intangibles and day to day stuff. There will come a point in each season (I imagine it’s probably just passed at the last international break) where a lot of this is evaluated and we begin to shape our summer activity. The manager might well say “I want this” but I imagine it will be much more evidence-based and the club will look to use things that are factual as well as subjective. That’s why you probably get Edwards saying “Henderson’s coming to the end” and then Klopp pushing the things like intangibles and subjective stuff. They can be very delicate situations where both sides are right. I can only imagine the data the club uses was really strong for Edwards to react as strongly as he did.

From what I’ve read/heard about how the club operates with transfers, once they’ve decided on a position to recruit for, we tend to have a score-based system with varying different metrics on, the relevant departments/people involved will have their input and try to come to a unanimous agreement on which player to move forward with. That doesn’t mean it will always be the data team or the coaching staff that make the ultimate call, but given Jurgen’s base of power has increased every year, it seems he was given more of a dominant vote on transfers than what he initially had during the peak Edwards years. If you’re to believe the social media eggs, Lijnders became more and more involved in this process and he alongside Jurgen gave the coaching staff a greater say than at any point before 2021/22.

I don’t for one minute believe that there will be a world where Slot is asking for a table and they give him a lampshade. Modern players (particularly the level we aim for) are becoming more and more demanding, they want to hear a manager’s plan for them in the side and the ambitions of the club. Slot will be important for communicating this during discussions before a player joins, so he will definitely have an input, it may just be more of a “are you on board with this?” rather than a “do you want to lead on this?” If that makes any sense.

This is an insightful post, thanks.

Does the title of 'Head Coach' suggest the manager's responsibilities in recruitment will be severely curtailed, or is it more or less the same structure that Klopp worked under in his first few years (players recommended by Edwards such as Salah, Mane, etc)? It could merely be a ploy by FSG to eradicate all ambiguity and avoid similar scenarios to Rodgers and Klopp eventually having more power (which hasn't been to the benefit of the club).

Or perhaps it offers greater authority. Beforehand it might have been a shortlist of options for one position, with Edwards and Klopp debating the merits and coming to an agreement (that's how I saw it). Perhaps the new strategy will be more authoritative and see Edwards and co honing in on the one player whose metrics come out top in the data, regardless of the managers opinion on others in the shortlist.
It isn't that it's not relevant, but it's the same for every player. Nobody plays the full 90 every week. 20 league goals a season has always pretty much been the barometer of an elite centre forward. He's had a lot of minutes this year, he's not missed months through injury. He's on 11 league goals. It's an objectively crap return.

Most strikers for other teams do play most minutes if you're not City Liverpool or Arsenal.

Watkins would play most 90s so would Solanke which are players who have been named to be better than Nunez.

Also a funny thing. Isak and Nunez have been involved in basically the same amount of goals in the EPL.

I don't think would have suited Klopps style either for example.
Nunez is being compared to the current top goalscorers in the League. The likes of Watkins, Solanke, Bowen etc. The thing is they are all playing 3000 plus minutes this season.
Nunez has 3696 league minutes in his entire Liverpool career.

Maybe. But this guy made a very good point the other day......

The point is that if Jota was this super efficient goal scoring machine then he would be playing a lot more minutes.

That is a massive seachange, previously Klopp worked alongside the SD and reported to Gordon an owner.
You say this like it's a bad thing Al.

I'd be infinitely more concerned if we're giving someone like Slot the keys to the kingdom. This way, it means he's instantly and painlessly replaceable with little collateral damage if he doesn't get results on the pitch. I think FSG fully realise Klopp was a one-off.
I could see us going after Levi Colwell again, altough I think he's injured aswell :/

Yep. Club apparently like him a lot, and Chelsea need to sell some former academy lads in June to balance the books. Gallagher looked a sure thing in terms of going but you’d think they’d keep him given he seems to be their best player other than Palmer.

Olise doesn’t have a massive injury track record, but the hamstring problems will be a red flag. Guess you need to figure out if he’s injury prone or if it’s just isolated incidents that can be managed. So hard to figure out though, Naby had a brilliant injury track record before coming here…
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10