Author Topic: New York... have you been?  (Read 234360 times)

Offline El Phes

• Answers to Judith, but only on Thurdays.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Portraits / Weddings / Commercial / Events
Re: New York... have you been?
« Reply #360 on: September 22, 2009, 09:18:59 pm »
That is unfortunate but it's the sort of thing which can happen in any major city. Were you pissed up at the time?

No mate. Was around dusk when we walked back from the centre area. As I said it was only 2 blocks away, but we probably stuck out like sore thumbs with our 'travelling' kit on!

Offline potatomato33

• Combat Carl
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #361 on: September 23, 2009, 01:43:38 am »
Heard "Empire State of Mind" on the radio and thought of this thread  ;D

Offline Agger

• Do Do Do.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #362 on: September 23, 2009, 01:16:22 pm »
Heard "Empire State of Mind" on the radio and thought of this thread  ;D

That song is class. Love it
If there was ever a reason for human cloning, Steven Gerrard is it.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #363 on: September 23, 2009, 03:00:10 pm »
funniest thing over there was some woman getting pulled over by cops. she ust kept shouting out the window "5 hours  FIVE HOURS ive been driving and this cop pulls me over"

just walked on and she start shouting at me "alright go on then ignore me, walk on by"

just shouted back "fine then i will"

at the same time some guy was there with flyers for a comedy club "well folks we gotta a stand up right here"
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline gray19lfc

• Would like a McFly hairstyle
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the end of a storm, there's a golden sky ★★★★★★
« Reply #364 on: September 23, 2009, 03:11:22 pm »
Just got back yesterday.  Loved the place and would defo go back again.  Went to the supporters club on Saturday to watch the West Ham game, the place was packed by kick off and the Torres chant was even given an airing after the first goal.  Was amazing to see this on the wall too...

Well in.

Offline LOKKO

• Legacy Fan
  • what chu talkin' bout willis?
« Reply #365 on: September 23, 2009, 06:14:51 pm »
im going new york 26th november for about a week, then heading over to the west coast till january, cant fucking wait.
will defo be watching the derby in the 11st bar

can anyone recommend any cheap hostel/hotels??
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 10:43:50 pm by LOKKO »

Offline MidwestWool

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Wool
« Reply #366 on: September 30, 2009, 05:57:04 am »
Going to NY last week of December and first week jan. Fucking pumped! Love the city and can't wait to get back.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #367 on: September 30, 2009, 08:58:10 pm »
im going new york 26th november for about a week, then heading over to the west coast till january, cant fucking wait.
will defo be watching the derby in the 11st bar

can anyone recommend any cheap hostel/hotels??

The 11th St Bar is ace and I was only watching us against Wigan.
Memory serves me right there is a Y up on 63rd St near the Dakota buildings.
Plenty more in and around the East Village.
Hotels in Manhattan tend to be quite expensive and the time your going is prime shopping time.
I'd start looking sharpish mate

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #368 on: September 30, 2009, 09:27:47 pm »
went over in march, went the 11th street bar for the Aston Villa game, great game and atmosphere. Great bar as well, bought the t-shirt as well, saw another lad before the Debreceni game wearing one as well.

Stayed in a hostel on the upper east side around York Avenue and 73rd Street, great city to visit. So many great things to see and do, will definitely have to back at some point. I'd definitely recommend Top Of The Rock, some great sights from up the top, and alot less queing than Empire State. In fact just do both, did Top Of The Rock in the day and Empire State around 11pm at night. 
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John

Offline timiano

• Flatlander
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #369 on: September 30, 2009, 10:25:22 pm »
I'd definitely recommend Top Of The Rock

Quality tourist sight. One of my favourites. I'm hoping to go back 1st week of Feb. Expensive, but highly recommend the River Cafe at Brooklyn Bridge.

Offline timiano

• Flatlander
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #370 on: September 30, 2009, 10:56:54 pm »
You buggers, it's all your fault.

Just booked it. £508 per person, KLM connecting in Amsterdam, 4 nights at the Salisbury Hotel in Midtown. That's a bargain and half that!

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #371 on: October 1, 2009, 03:16:29 am »
What's the best thing to do as regards buying dollars?

Would you get a better exchange rate here or in the states?
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Franck Le Poof

• Blonde transvestite who is utterly haunted by the idea of sitting in other mens piss. Has ticked the box for no publicity ;)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #372 on: October 1, 2009, 03:41:29 am »

People looking at living there -go check the rents out on craigs list or somewhere. A small apt. even in not so attractive neighborhoods in Manhattan can be $2000 a month.
Hell, in our old three bedroom apartment (me, my sister, and our parents in it) in a fairly unattractive area cost around $6000 in rent a month.
Whenever I meet a French girl I kiss her on both cheeks. Then I stand up and say hello

Offline potatomato33

• Combat Carl
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #373 on: October 1, 2009, 05:13:46 am »
Hell, in our old three bedroom apartment (me, my sister, and our parents in it) in a fairly unattractive area cost around $6000 in rent a month.

Where the hell did you live? You got fleeced for that price!

Offline ceros

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #374 on: October 1, 2009, 08:57:02 am »
people in NY are cold towards tourists, i felt

That wasn't my experience at all. Every time I've been to New York, I've had a blast and people have been very friendly and helpful.

Love NYC.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #375 on: October 1, 2009, 10:12:36 am »

I bank with barclays and they have a set up with banks round the world where you only get charged a small comission by the barclays and you get the bank exchange rate NOT the tourist rate. You have to stick with certain banks (in the US it was bank of America) but it worked out ok with me. I'd check with your bank first.

As for exchanging over there you'd in effect be served as a customer that needs your sterling bought back. Over here you get a shifty exchange rate when bringing back euros, dollars or whatever. I guess this is the same worldwide as it's quite lucrative for exchange companies.

Offline El Phes

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #376 on: October 1, 2009, 10:30:54 am »

to be honest mate, unless you're talking about exchanging £5000+ it really doesn't matter. I would get your money over here and then you haven't got to worry about money over there.

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • June 20, 2009. Still no justice for Neda
« Reply #377 on: October 1, 2009, 12:48:05 pm »
Why get stuck exchanging currency then worrying about carrying or secreting large amounts of cash?

Just use your cash card to withdraw $100-$200 whenever you need it.  You should get a decent rate without commission.
Kill the humourless

Offline El Phes

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #378 on: October 1, 2009, 01:18:42 pm »
Why get stuck exchanging currency then worrying about carrying or secreting large amounts of cash?

Good point.

I always take a small amount of local currency and then use my cash card for any extra withdrawals.

Offline Franck Le Poof

• Blonde transvestite who is utterly haunted by the idea of sitting in other mens piss. Has ticked the box for no publicity ;)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #379 on: October 1, 2009, 01:37:52 pm »
Where the hell did you live? You got fleeced for that price!
Waterside Plaza, around 25th street by the FDR drive/ the water. We live in a big house now in Westchester for cheaper than that shit hole. Their prices really take the piss, they're driving more and more people out of there. Wankers.
Whenever I meet a French girl I kiss her on both cheeks. Then I stand up and say hello

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • June 20, 2009. Still no justice for Neda
« Reply #380 on: October 1, 2009, 04:52:54 pm »
Waterside Plaza, around 25th street by the FDR drive/ the water. We live in a big house now in Westchester for cheaper than that shit hole. Their prices really take the piss, they're driving more and more people out of there. Wankers.

Dude, it's all about convenience to your job.

Not everyone wants to deal w/ trains to Westchester, some like to walk or bike to work.

And I thought you were in Egypt.  I would've invited you to McCormacks to meet El Campeador.
Kill the humourless

Offline Franck Le Poof

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #381 on: October 2, 2009, 04:53:16 pm »
Dude, it's all about convenience to your job.

Not everyone wants to deal w/ trains to Westchester, some like to walk or bike to work.

And I thought you were in Egypt.  I would've invited you to McCormacks to meet El Campeador.
Oh no I definitely agree with you mate, is why my parents put up with that rent for ten years, but as it increases every year it has become ridiculous and I guess my parents were looking for a long term investment in buying a house.
Mind you the train is quite pleasant, only 35 minutes to get to Grand Central!

Ahh that would have been boss, shame. I really really need to get over there for a game. Hopefully we'll have those 12:30 kick offs (US time) so I can trek my way over there!

Offline sarch

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #382 on: October 5, 2009, 02:30:20 am »
if you are using a cash machine for withdrawing money, try and withdraw a lot at one time.  US banks charge foreign transaction fees and each transaction with withdrawal fees, foreign fees or whatever else they make up will end up being a few extra dollars every transaction.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #383 on: October 5, 2009, 11:29:40 am »
if you are using a cash machine for withdrawing money, try and withdraw a lot at one time.  US banks charge foreign transaction fees and each transaction with withdrawal fees, foreign fees or whatever else they make up will end up being a few extra dollars every transaction.

It depends on the UK bank. As I said barclays has a sort of deal with banks around the world so using bank of America if you have a barclays account - you don't get this charge. It's worth checking with your bank to see if others have a similar set up

Offline potatomato33

• Combat Carl
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #384 on: October 5, 2009, 06:58:00 pm »
I'm out in Queens myself, the prices are much better and pretty convenient as well.

As a matter of fact, I see El C quite regularly up in Boston. Haven't met too many RAWKites in NY mind.

Offline blert596

• or is it Simon Peg, Advert: Buy incontinence bed pads from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk Wash & disposable. Trade & Public.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #385 on: October 5, 2009, 07:43:56 pm »
We're off on Friday morning for the honeymoon.

Probably not everyones taste for a honeymoon, but much better than sitting on a beach in our eyes. We both love the place. Loads to do, loads to see.

Have actually done some sort of itinary this time instead of cuffing it and just popping into various pubs/places as we come across them.

All the badge kissing in the world don't make up for the fact that they are, frankly, not Liverpool Football Club. It's not their fault. Its just how it is.

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
« Reply #386 on: October 5, 2009, 11:54:38 pm »
Am going at end of month and looks like the 11th street bar for the Man U game aty Anfield yeah?

Also, people on this thread are worryying the shit out of me about beggars. I fucking cannot deal with them at all.
If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Offline Bronx Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #387 on: October 6, 2009, 12:06:05 am »
Am going at end of month and looks like the 11th street bar for the Man U game aty Anfield yeah?

Also, people on this thread are worryying the shit out of me about beggars. I fucking cannot deal with them at all.
Unless they are only visible to tourists I don't think ya will have a problem !

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #388 on: October 6, 2009, 12:33:44 am »

9am drinking and the Reds against the mancs in NY - your a lucky guy.

I've been to NY twice and rarely seen beggars. If you spend a lot of time in and around Times Square (not sure why you would - worth a visit but there is so much more to NY ) then you'll be running into them constantly.

Elsewhere I can say I have never seen many.

Offline ceros

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #389 on: October 6, 2009, 05:11:54 pm »

I've been to NY twice and rarely seen beggars. If you spend a lot of time in and around Times Square (not sure why you would - worth a visit but there is so much more to NY ) then you'll be running into them constantly.

Elsewhere I can say I have never seen many.

There used to be a lot of beggars in Manhattan, then the Mayor got tough and the area got cleaned up. They've now moved out to other areas and you hardly see any beggars in Manhattan. The cleanup has also got rid of some characters though, which is a shame.

Offline exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
« Reply #390 on: October 6, 2009, 08:17:09 pm »

Knock. Them. Out. Simple.
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Offline Jon G

• I'm Jim Rockford, at the tone leave your name and number and I'll get back to ya. PM Jon Hall if you can read this...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 78 stone wobble
    • not mine
« Reply #391 on: October 6, 2009, 08:36:25 pm »
Bank of America cash points charge you for withdrawing money, the others I used didn't
NOTHING GREAT HAS EVER BEEN ACHIEVED WITHOUT PASSION - CARRAGHER 23

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
« Reply #392 on: October 7, 2009, 10:36:00 pm »
Knock. Them. Out. Simple.

Like it. Mancs or Tramps? Last day maybe. An uppercut followed by a thunderous right to some ald twat with a shopping cart
If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Offline BlackandWhitePaul

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #393 on: October 7, 2009, 10:56:41 pm »

Stay away from Middlesborough, there's more beggars, tramps, Chelsea, gobshites and pissed up dickheads than owt else in that god forsaken shithole.      :wave

Offline BlackandWhitePaul

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #394 on: October 7, 2009, 10:58:38 pm »
Stay away from Middlesborough, there's more beggars, tramps, Chelsea, gobshites and pissed up dickheads than owt else in that god forsaken shithole.      :wave
Ha haaaaaaaaaaaaaa,
I typed out = C H A V S and it auto corrected it to = C H E L S E A.

Offline LOKKO

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #395 on: October 7, 2009, 11:51:25 pm »
thinks it a bit cheaper than hotels in mannattan so thinking of staying in newport,nj (right near train over to manhattan),

is it a good idea???
« Last Edit: October 8, 2009, 12:01:08 am by LOKKO »

Offline potatomato33

• Combat Carl
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #396 on: October 8, 2009, 12:03:50 am »
thinks it a bit cheaper than hotels in mannattan so thinking of staying at - courtyard marriott in newport,nj (right near train over to manhattan),

is it a good idea???

Not one bit. It's one thing to stay a little bit further out in Queens or Brooklyn, but definitely not Newport, NJ. First off, it's pretty far out of the way, it'll take you at least an extra 30 minutes to get into the city. That's not considering the fact that you have to plan your trip around a train schedule going back there. Second, it'll be about $30 extra per day (New York City uses the Metrocard, you can buy a 1 week unlimited usage pass for the subway and bus system, but to take the trains into NJ, you need a separate ticket per person, and it's usually around $7-$10, depending on where you're going).

It's just not worth the hassle to save about $20. And, in case you might want to catch a cab back to the hotel one day, it'll cost you loads. When are you coming to NY? I can look up a few places in Queens which might be cheaper.
« Last Edit: October 8, 2009, 12:08:26 am by potatomato33 »

Offline sarch

• Kopite
« Reply #397 on: October 8, 2009, 01:56:10 am »
thinks it a bit cheaper than hotels in mannattan so thinking of staying in newport,nj (right near train over to manhattan),

is it a good idea???

newport  is literally a 5 minute train ride to the city, maybe 15-20 on the weekends or really late at night and has a great walk way if you are going with a significant other.   it lines up basically with lower manhattan (wall street area) and there is also a ferry that can take you over about 15 minutes south, walking.

the area however is not great for a night out, you'd have to go to the city or hoboken, although there are a few bars in downtown jersey city. 

Offline LOKKO

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #398 on: October 8, 2009, 05:45:00 pm »
Not one bit. It's one thing to stay a little bit further out in Queens or Brooklyn, but definitely not Newport, NJ. First off, it's pretty far out of the way, it'll take you at least an extra 30 minutes to get into the city. That's not considering the fact that you have to plan your trip around a train schedule going back there. Second, it'll be about $30 extra per day (New York City uses the Metrocard, you can buy a 1 week unlimited usage pass for the subway and bus system, but to take the trains into NJ, you need a separate ticket per person, and it's usually around $7-$10, depending on where you're going).

It's just not worth the hassle to save about $20. And, in case you might want to catch a cab back to the hotel one day, it'll cost you loads. When are you coming to NY? I can look up a few places in Queens which might be cheaper.

cheers going on the 26th november, im flying to newark was my main reasons for thinking NJ, will probably stay in a hostel in manhatten loads cheaper than the hotels
« Last Edit: October 8, 2009, 08:28:11 pm by LOKKO »

Offline potatomato33

• Combat Carl
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #399 on: October 8, 2009, 10:31:20 pm »
Some of the motels in Long Island City, Queens are very reasonably priced. For around $100 a night, you can be in midtown by Grand Central in 20 minutes. Rooms are clean, neighbourhood is a little dodgy, but manageable.