Author Topic: New York... have you been?  (Read 234390 times)

Offline Agger

• Do Do Do.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: New York... have you been?
« Reply #240 on: July 25, 2009, 02:02:09 pm »
Its the easiest major city in the world to get around in. People come from places like Bangladesh and within a month they're driving taxis in Manhattan!

After seeing taxi driver I thought that being a taxi driver in NYC must be awsome! Think of all the people you get to meet  but ofc you'll probably need a gun with you
If there was ever a reason for human cloning, Steven Gerrard is it.

Offline sarch

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #241 on: July 25, 2009, 03:02:34 pm »
I but there is *no* way the pizza is better here

i've heard it all now

Offline nyujvary

• RAWK's finest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay calm, all is well!
« Reply #242 on: July 25, 2009, 03:27:02 pm »
Its the easiest major city in the world to get around in. People come from places like Bangladesh and within a month they're driving taxis in Manhattan!

classic!

Offline Benitez

• Legacy Fan
  • Nunca caminarás sólo
« Reply #243 on: July 25, 2009, 04:16:40 pm »
Was considering going to New York with the missus as a suprise christmas present around mid december. Can anyone recommend where the best area to stay is ? Any hotels/restaraunts that are def worth considering ?

The 'obvious' place is near or around Times Square. But really, don't think you have to stay near there! Anywhere midtown is great location wise, but then so is being a further up.  Lot of people like the character and architecture and proximity to Central Park of areas in the Upper West Side.

Go over to Tripdvisor.com and have a look there at the hotels. There are just so damn many, but you have to be careful, alas New York has a lot of shit hotels. I don't think they bother with hotel inspections! Just do your research. It ain't cheap ether.

I just booked a flight back there :D Not going till next March, but got a good fare with American, cos I am flying into NYC and back from Chicago, didn't have many options regards airlines that didn't involve mulitple changes, and I can't be arsed with that.

Week in New York, 2 days in Pittsburgh, 8 days in Chicago  8)
"Stay humble. Work harder than the other team every game, and work harder in practice. Take nothing for granted, especially on a day like today. How could you? It’s a gift to be playing in this league, a gift to walk the planet. So you know what, leave it on the ice every single night and let the results take care of themselves"

Offline nyujvary

• RAWK's finest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #244 on: July 25, 2009, 04:24:12 pm »

Just curious, why Pittsburgh?

Offline Benitez

• Legacy Fan
  • Nunca caminarás sólo
« Reply #245 on: July 25, 2009, 04:34:56 pm »
Just curious, why Pittsburgh?

Good question, and I shall tell you why :D

I have wanted to go to Pittsburgh for a while, for just one reason - to go to the Andy Warhol Museum :)  I am hugely into pop art, and Mr Warhol is about my favourite artist ever.

So this trip, I've tacked on a couple days in between my favourite 2 cities, to go visit! And as it happens, I can also fit in a hockey game there, so even better  ;D 

"Stay humble. Work harder than the other team every game, and work harder in practice. Take nothing for granted, especially on a day like today. How could you? It’s a gift to be playing in this league, a gift to walk the planet. So you know what, leave it on the ice every single night and let the results take care of themselves"

Offline nyujvary

• RAWK's finest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #246 on: July 25, 2009, 05:57:49 pm »

I have wanted to go to Pittsburgh for a while, for just one reason - to go to the Andy Warhol Museum :)  I am hugely into pop art, and Mr Warhol is about my favourite artist ever.

So this trip, I've tacked on a couple days in between my favourite 2 cities, to go visit! And as it happens, I can also fit in a hockey game there, so even better  ;D 

Be sure to check out the Chelsea Hotel then on W23rd  and 7th Ave in NYC... :wave

Offline Benitez

• Legacy Fan
  • Nunca caminarás sólo
« Reply #247 on: July 25, 2009, 06:06:47 pm »
indeedy, may even stay there LOL - you can get rooms for $99+tax a night sometimes :D Just to say 'I've stayed there'.  I've been past the Chelsea a few times, got some pics.  I even got the addresses on my GoogleMaps of all Warhol's old 'Factory' locations!

Offline MidwestWool

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Wool
« Reply #248 on: July 25, 2009, 06:59:34 pm »

And try and get to the Steelers stadium too! Super-Bowl champions!

Offline Benitez

• Legacy Fan
  • Nunca caminarás sólo
« Reply #249 on: July 25, 2009, 07:16:39 pm »
meh, I'll give that a miss ;)

Warhol Museum, hockey game, Mattress Factory, The Strip, them funny funicular doobries - that'll be me done in Pittsburgh!  I ain't there long, if I can fit those things in, then great!

Offline sarch

• Kopite
« Reply #250 on: July 25, 2009, 09:38:16 pm »
meh, I'll give that a miss ;)

Warhol Museum, hockey game, Mattress Factory, The Strip, them funny funicular doobries - that'll be me done in Pittsburgh!  I ain't there long, if I can fit those things in, then great!

go get a sandwich at primanti's (http://www.primantibros.com/) i saw it on the food channel and it looked great

Offline Eric

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #251 on: July 26, 2009, 05:53:10 pm »

You might want to check out the new modern wing of the Chicago Art Institute, and the MCA (Museum of Contemporary Art) while in Chicago.

Offline Jon G

• I'm Jim Rockford, at the tone leave your name and number and I'll get back to ya. PM Jon Hall if you can read this...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 78 stone wobble
    • not mine
« Reply #252 on: July 26, 2009, 06:16:30 pm »
Can someone give me some tips what to do on New Years Eve in New York. I've heard Times Square can be a bit of a nightmare, with you bwing put in pens, so I'm not planning to go there. Anything else worth knowing about NYE in Manhattan?
NOTHING GREAT HAS EVER BEEN ACHIEVED WITHOUT PASSION - CARRAGHER 23

Offline sarch

• Kopite
« Reply #253 on: July 26, 2009, 09:11:02 pm »
Jon G - most bars require tickets to get into.  they are normally something like $100 and open bar/some free food from 7pm-1am with a champagne toast.  you can normally buy them in advance online.  some of them can be a good deal btu most are over crowded.  when the time gets closer you may want to check out nymag.com or one of the other local sites with more details about specific bars.   there should be some bars just letting people in though.

Offline Benitez

• Legacy Fan
  • Nunca caminarás sólo
« Reply #254 on: July 26, 2009, 09:16:51 pm »
You might want to check out the new modern wing of the Chicago Art Institute, and the MCA (Museum of Contemporary Art) while in Chicago.

went to the Modern Wing when I was there early this month. It's a lovely new building for sure :) Love the way they have fitted it in not only with the original Art Institute, but also with Millennium Park. It's very cool.

I'll go there again though in March. The Art Institute is just an amazing gallery, and so huge that it'd take many visits!

The Contemporary Art museum - first time I went, I was very underwhelmed to be honest. I fluked going on a Tuesday without realising that was the freebie day, so I wasn't really that bothered that it underwhelmed me  :D BUT, I went in July again, and they had a really cool exhibition on, by Olafur Eliasson.  Well worth seeing.

Can someone give me some tips what to do on New Years Eve in New York. I've heard Times Square can be a bit of a nightmare, with you bwing put in pens, so I'm not planning to go there. Anything else worth knowing about NYE in Manhattan?

Central Park is a good place to go for New Years Eve :)

« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 09:27:47 pm by Benitez »

Offline Jon G

• I'm Jim Rockford, at the tone leave your name and number and I'll get back to ya. PM Jon Hall if you can read this...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 78 stone wobble
    • not mine
« Reply #255 on: July 26, 2009, 10:56:05 pm »

Cheers, I've hear d that, and also around Brooklyn Bridge too.

Jon G - most bars require tickets to get into.  they are normally something like $100 and open bar/some free food from 7pm-1am with a champagne toast.  you can normally buy them in advance online.  some of them can be a good deal btu most are over crowded.  when the time gets closer you may want to check out nymag.com or one of the other local sites with more details about specific bars.   there should be some bars just letting people in though.

Nice one, had a look at nymag.com, but nothing much on NYE yet, so will check it out nearer the time. $100 isn't too bad if it's an open bar, could demolish a few Brooklyn Lagers on that :D
NOTHING GREAT HAS EVER BEEN ACHIEVED WITHOUT PASSION - CARRAGHER 23

Offline Benitez

• Legacy Fan
  • Nunca caminarás sólo
« Reply #256 on: July 26, 2009, 11:06:53 pm »
you could maybe go out and then head to Central Park late on or something? They have great fireworks there, there is a spot near 72nd st, by the bandstand I think, where a lot of people gather. It's probably one of them things where you don't want to be there all evening, cos you'd freeze yer bits off :D But a good spot to go for the fireworks, without being penned in like in Times Square.

Offline NewHampshire_Exile

• Ambassador
  • Legacy Fan
    • www.YNWA.TV
« Reply #257 on: July 27, 2009, 02:11:15 am »
The 'obvious' place is near or around Times Square. But really, don't think you have to stay near there! Anywhere midtown is great location wise, but then so is being a further up.  Lot of people like the character and architecture and proximity to Central Park of areas in the Upper West Side.

Go over to Tripdvisor.com and have a look there at the hotels. There are just so damn many, but you have to be careful, alas New York has a lot of shit hotels. I don't think they bother with hotel inspections! Just do your research. It ain't cheap ether.

I just booked a flight back there :D Not going till next March, but got a good fare with American, cos I am flying into NYC and back from Chicago, didn't have many options regards airlines that didn't involve mulitple changes, and I can't be arsed with that.

still avoiding new england and the magnificent Monarchs then????

Offline Eric

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #258 on: July 30, 2009, 03:27:24 am »
went to the Modern Wing when I was there early this month. It's a lovely new building for sure :) Love the way they have fitted it in not only with the original Art Institute, but also with Millennium Park. It's very cool.

I'll go there again though in March. The Art Institute is just an amazing gallery, and so huge that it'd take many visits!

The Contemporary Art museum - first time I went, I was very underwhelmed to be honest. I fluked going on a Tuesday without realising that was the freebie day, so I wasn't really that bothered that it underwhelmed me  :D BUT, I went in July again, and they had a really cool exhibition on, by Olafur Eliasson.  Well worth seeing.

Next time you visit Chicago go to the MCA on the first Friday of the month.  They have a after work party with food drink and DJ's.  During the summer it gets pretty busy, but they have a nice courtyard in back.

http://www.mcachicago.org/programs/ff.php?page=friday

Offline Benitez

• Legacy Fan
  • Nunca caminarás sólo
« Reply #259 on: July 30, 2009, 09:14:17 am »
still avoiding new england and the magnificent Monarchs then????

One day Mike I will make it there :D

Actually, I am waiting on the AHL schedule coming out. If Chicago Wolves have a game when I am there, I'll head out to see 'em.  I'm working this trip around 6 NHL games, and it'd be nice to get an AHL game as well in there!

Hiya Eric, I'd heard about that MCA thing, cheers for the link, sounds cool :) So far I've managed to not be there the first friday though! And this time, I will actually be there the 1st Friday, but I'll be going to see a play that night at Steppenwolf.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 09:19:10 am by Benitez »

Offline sarch

• Kopite
« Reply #260 on: July 30, 2009, 02:10:34 pm »
One day Mike I will make it there :D

Actually, I am waiting on the AHL schedule coming out. If Chicago Wolves have a game when I am there, I'll head out to see 'em.  I'm working this trip around 6 NHL games, and it'd be nice to get an AHL game as well in there!

Hiya Eric, I'd heard about that MCA thing, cheers for the link, sounds cool :) So far I've managed to not be there the first friday though! And this time, I will actually be there the 1st Friday, but I'll be going to see a play that night at Steppenwolf.

which games are you going to? just curious

Offline Benitez

• Legacy Fan
  • Nunca caminarás sólo
« Reply #261 on: July 30, 2009, 02:15:49 pm »
which games are you going to? just curious

Defo going to:
NY Isles @ NY Rangers
NY Rangers @ NJ Devils
St Louis Blues @ NJ Devils
Columbus @ Chicago Blackhawks
Calgary Flames @ Chicago Blackhawks

And if I can snag a ticket for Flyers @ Pittsburgh Penguins I'll do that too.

Only pisser is that there is only 1 home Rangers game when I am there, but at least it's v's a hated oppo :D

Offline sarch

• Kopite
« Reply #262 on: July 30, 2009, 02:33:26 pm »
Defo going to:
NY Isles @ NY Rangers
NY Rangers @ NJ Devils
St Louis Blues @ NJ Devils
Columbus @ Chicago Blackhawks
Calgary Flames @ Chicago Blackhawks

And if I can snag a ticket for Flyers @ Pittsburgh Penguins I'll do that too.

Only pisser is that there is only 1 home Rangers game when I am there, but at least it's v's a hated oppo :D

edit: just realized that it is in march - i think i will have tickets to both of those devils games
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 02:43:21 pm by sarch »

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
« Reply #263 on: July 31, 2009, 12:28:41 am »
Going in October for my birthday

Looking for hotels at mo. Everything in Manhattan looks so expensive
If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Offline Benitez

• Legacy Fan
  • Nunca caminarás sólo
« Reply #264 on: July 31, 2009, 11:01:57 am »
alas they are! That is the one downside, NYC is very expensive for hotels.

Check out here:
http://www.hotwire.com/
And then:
http://www.betterbidding.com
To figure out which hotel is which!

Or checkout
http://www.priceline.co.uk/

Hotels.com sometimes have good deals as well.

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #265 on: July 31, 2009, 01:16:35 pm »
Cheers Benitez

Would be so good if you WERE actually rafa telling me which Hotels in New York to look at!!

Jurgen Klopp

Offline safhossain03

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #266 on: July 31, 2009, 02:09:15 pm »
rushyman, the Pod Hotel is in midtown seems reasonable. I'm looking at places for next year. Anyway, it appears clean and nicely furnished but it does have a distinct youth hostel vibe. Dunno if that's what you were looking for.

http://thepodhotel.com

Offline sarch

• Kopite
« Reply #267 on: July 31, 2009, 02:20:19 pm »
you should check out hotels in hoboken/jersey city.  you get the best views of nyc (just request a room with a view) and they are usually a bit cheaper.  There is a new Westin hotel in hoboken which is supposed to be great.  Both have 24 hour train access to nyc ($1.75) and during the day it will probably take about 20 minutes to any destination.

Offline rushyman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #268 on: July 31, 2009, 02:39:46 pm »
rushyman, the Pod Hotel is in midtown seems reasonable. I'm looking at places for next year. Anyway, it appears clean and nicely furnished but it does have a distinct youth hostel vibe. Dunno if that's what you were looking for.

http://thepodhotel.com

Know what youresayin mate, Id sleep Im on a closeline personally but the mrs is coming so...

Jurgen Klopp

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #269 on: August 6, 2009, 01:50:21 pm »
Just got back, fucking hell what a place, I love it!
My feet are killing from all the walking but still!
Hotel was incredible, New York Palace, a little haven of peace in the middle of Midtown, reasonable prices for what it is too.
Not gonna rush back too soon there, but would definitely like to experience it in winter one day too

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #270 on: August 6, 2009, 05:16:36 pm »
We stayed in Jersey City for 5 days before staying in Manhattan and it is 11 mins on their train (cant think what it is called now...) from our stop to WTC.

Stayed at the Alex Hotel (got comped 2 nights in a suite, er sweet ;D ) and was a great hotel.  Even did the horse and carriage around Central Park with me missus.

Offline Benitez

• Legacy Fan
  • Nunca caminarás sólo
« Reply #271 on: August 6, 2009, 06:22:52 pm »
We stayed in Jersey City for 5 days before staying in Manhattan and it is 11 mins on their train (cant think what it is called now...) from our stop to WTC.

Stayed at the Alex Hotel (got comped 2 nights in a suite, er sweet ;D ) and was a great hotel.  Even did the horse and carriage around Central Park with me missus.

PATH? (aka Port Authority Trans Hudson).

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #272 on: August 6, 2009, 07:49:24 pm »
Yep the path it is.

Offline Canada Loves Anfield

• Everything you do is a balloon
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born Under a Liverbird
« Reply #273 on: August 6, 2009, 08:20:09 pm »
Going to be down there for the Bolton game on the 29th...

Connie you going to be there? I owe you some pints on behalf of the Toronto supporters club ;)

Any other Rawkites like to join a drunken 23 year old in a little sing song? Going to be with the missus and some mates, but pretty sure none of them will be up with me (maybe the missus cause she's been on the Kop with me before). So would love some company if she aint...
If it acts like a cock and a banner appears on the kop with its name written down the shaft of a cock, it probably is...

Liverpool FC - Toronto Supporters Club: http://lfctoronto.com/

Offline Johnny Foreigner

• King of the Trabbies. Major Mod Thruster.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #274 on: August 12, 2009, 07:51:58 pm »
Hello all.

The second:

Is there a really good website like wotif.com that deals with getting bargain hotels in New York? We have a budget of about £200 a night for hotels, but rather than saving that, we'd rather get something worth £400 p/night for £200.

Not sure if you're familiar with it, but www.hotwire.com is always an option.

Some draw-backs though :

* no cancellation possibilities, have to pay now
* don't know the name of the hotel when you book (although you can have a educated guess based on stars etc
* can give you a smoking room for instance and have to upgrade.
It’s not even about individuality, it’s about the team. Our game was based on his controlling of the tempo. Squeeze the life out of the opposition and then strike. That is our game. Like a pack of pythons.

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #275 on: August 12, 2009, 10:02:02 pm »
We paid about £130 a night for the New York Palace, much better hotel than the Crowne Plaza and incredible value (prices may go up for November tho). Perfect location I thought, near enough to Times Sq and Central Park but more peaceful in where it is. Give it a look if I were you

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #276 on: August 12, 2009, 10:06:00 pm »
Mate of mine just returned from his first trip to nyc with his gf and
he hated it and said he's never go back.

He went there for a few days whilst staying in Boston for a fortnight.

Said he had to shower twice a day, he told me he thought it was
basically a very dirty grimey city and he didn't see what the appeal was.
He wasn't impressed at all.

Hope no one takes offence to that, am just relating it.

Funny how peoples opinions can differ.

I enjoyed my only visit there.

It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #277 on: August 12, 2009, 10:45:32 pm »
Jesus Christ, £450 for the Palace, that's quite a seasonal increase from what we paid for two weeks ago. Easily the best hotel I've stayed in, perfect in every way, rooms to public areas to service. Did manage to blow $110 dollars on burgers and fries in the restaurant there tho :o

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #278 on: August 12, 2009, 10:58:08 pm »
Not at all, the fries were 'truffle fries' tho, and the burgers came with onion rings. Also included a $10 beer and $16 wine.
Check out the courtyard bar even if you don't stay there, pricey but a haven in the middle of a busy city :)

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #279 on: August 12, 2009, 11:55:50 pm »
Will definitely put that in the Excel spreadsheet (Phil take note).

;D

Noted.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.