Author Topic: London Hotels  (Read 1795 times)

Offline Col

• Shaves his tongue and shares makeup tips. May be a little camp.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
London Hotels
« on: September 25, 2023, 03:53:59 pm »
Anyone have any suggestions for decent hotels in London that won't break the bank?

Ideally somewhere central to the touristy things and suitable for a toddler.

Everything we've looked at so far is either wildly expensive (looking at July) or pretty far out.

Cheers
I don't have to sell my soul... he's already in me.

Offline Only Me

• Insufferable twat. Brexiteer supreme.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: London Hotels
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2023, 04:44:13 pm »
Had same issues mate for a midweek trip we're taking at end of November.

Prices are a piss take nowadays - must've been to London about 30 times for weekends away over the years. Cockneys always did love a rip off, but you could find somewhere nice at a reasonable cost if you looked hard enough. Since Covid though, everyone's prices seem to have virtually doubled. Greedy twats.

We've ended up booking the Travel Lodge at Kings Cross. Its walking distance from Euston, has really good Tube links to virtually everywhere, and isn't eye wateringly expensive.

I know a few people who've stayed there and said its a decent, clean and convenient hotel.

Downsides are its obviously a basic gaff, and round that area it can occasionally be a bit moody, and stink of rats piss.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2023, 04:58:49 pm »

Prices are a piss take nowadays - must've been to London about 30 times for weekends away over the years. Cockneys always did love a rip off, but you could find somewhere nice at a reasonable cost if you looked hard enough. Since Covid though, everyone's prices seem to have virtually doubled. Greedy twats.

We've ended up booking the Travel Lodge at Kings Cross. Its walking distance from Euston, has really good Tube links to virtually everywhere, and isn't eye wateringly expensive.

I know a few people who've stayed there and said its a decent, clean and convenient hotel.

Downsides are its obviously a basic gaff, and round that area it can occasionally be a bit moody, and stink of rats piss.

We're doing that ABBA Voyage thing in June, booked the Premier Inn near Euston as I stayed there with work years ago and it was decent. Still taking the piss though, £200 for a night for the pay on arrival/last minute cancellation rate.  There were cheaper hotels but they looked to be the size of a shoebox with small beds, we're both near 6ft tall and I'm a bit "chunky" these days, so that's no use to us ;D
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Too early for flapjacks?

• It is? Hmm. How about a Groundhog steak? No? Damn. Thinks James Milner has the perfect body.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2023, 05:21:44 pm »
London has a super well connected underground network. Get an Airbnb closer to the suburbs a short walk from a train station and save yourself some money.

Offline only6times

• a night. Founder of the Breck Road Brasses mediation service. Owner of an out of control Fat Finger.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2023, 05:49:35 pm »
We're doing that ABBA Voyage thing in June, booked the Premier Inn near Euston as I stayed there with work years ago and it was decent. Still taking the piss though, £200 for a night for the pay on arrival/last minute cancellation rate.  There were cheaper hotels but they looked to be the size of a shoebox with small beds, we're both near 6ft tall and I'm a bit "chunky" these days, so that's no use to us ;D
Stayed there a while back, missus told them we had been woken up by deliveries in the night. Full refund. Worked a few times since.
bitter,not me.a granddad,but I'm not even 40

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2023, 07:50:33 pm »
Stayed there a while back, missus told them we had been woken up by deliveries in the night. Full refund. Worked a few times since.

;D

I got woken at about 6:30 when I was staying there - we're going to keep looking anyway, see if we can get a better deal on another hotel.

We stayed ay the Travel Lodge next to Euston last time in London, we were at the rear so got a good sleep, the rooms on the front couldn;t kip due to all the fighting going on in the street
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2023, 09:56:13 pm »

Which one you staying in? the one on king's cross road or Gray's Inn? Gray's Inn looks a bit fancy on the outside, King's X is a bit 70s office looking. Never stayed in either but used to work round there and was always oddly curious about that travel lodge cos it looked like an upmarket one! If you're going in the week, get yourself down Exmouth Market or Leather Lane, was always great food places on both markets and not sure if they're there on weekends, if you like a burrito then leather lane has Daddy Donkey which is one of the only things I genuinely miss about London 😆

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2023, 10:06:03 pm »
London has a super well connected underground network. Get an Airbnb closer to the suburbs a short walk from a train station and save yourself some money.
Get a place at either end of the Elizabeth line. It’s super quick and super easy
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2023, 10:13:11 pm »
Get a place at either end of the Elizabeth line. It’s super quick and super easy

Fuck off with that Super shite :no

;)

Offline Only Me

• Insufferable twat. Brexiteer supreme.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2023, 11:34:39 pm »
Which one you staying in? the one on king's cross road or Gray's Inn? Gray's Inn looks a bit fancy on the outside, King's X is a bit 70s office looking. Never stayed in either but used to work round there and was always oddly curious about that travel lodge cos it looked like an upmarket one! If you're going in the week, get yourself down Exmouth Market or Leather Lane, was always great food places on both markets and not sure if they're there on weekends, if you like a burrito then leather lane has Daddy Donkey which is one of the only things I genuinely miss about London 😆

Put this down to an age thing.

Its the Premier Inn, not the Travelodge.

The Kings Cross bit was spot on though...

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2023, 11:42:15 pm »
Personality River View Suite at The Savoy is reasonable.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2023, 11:43:15 pm »
The people I work with generally use the Travelodge in Barking or Wembley. The latter being more aesthetically pleasing, the former with better transport links.

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2023, 11:45:15 pm »
Airbnbs are proper Tory. They’re overheating the rental market for the yoot.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline NarutoReds

• Looking for an alcohol-fuelled sixsome with Crosby Nick, Ghost Town, WhereAngelsPlay, Charlie Adams fried egg and Al 666. Any takers?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Saw Everton - "I'd shut the curtains..."
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2023, 08:39:18 am »
My good experience. Premier Inn, Old Street, London.

Clean, near the Tube, near the bar.
It's there to remind our lads who they're playing for and to remind the opposition who they're playing against!

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2023, 02:59:44 pm »
the Moxy

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2023, 03:13:44 pm »
The Premier Inns are mostly decent enough. If you're only staying a night or two, they're perfectly fine.

Depends where you plan to visit, but London Bank Tower is between the Tower of London/Tower Bridge and Monument. St Pauls & The Shard easily walkable. Close to Tower Hill & Monument underground stations.

Bit quiet on a night round that area, though.

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2023, 07:05:10 pm »
The Premier Inns are mostly decent enough. If you're only staying a night or two, they're perfectly fine.

Depends where you plan to visit, but London Bank Tower is between the Tower of London/Tower Bridge and Monument. St Pauls & The Shard easily walkable. Close to Tower Hill & Monument underground stations.

Bit quiet on a night round that area, though.

I stay there quite a lot and head over London Bridge to Borough Market which is great.

Depends on how old the kids are but close to the Tower and Tower Bridge is a great sight. DLR takes you down to the museums at Greenwich via Canary Wharf.

Offline pw1008

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2023, 12:07:32 pm »
I've stayed at the Citadines in Holborn a couple of times and price very good although has bumped right up recently but they do have other ones I think in Islington, Trafalgar Sq, Barbican maybe Kensington way.

Not cheap but its more of any apartment with kitchen which is handy couple of variations between studio to 2 bedrooms but with pull out beds even in the studios from memory in holborn

Other than that always found decent deals around out towards Notting Hill\Queensway tube on Bayswater Road and even Shepherds Bush