Author Topic: A Song of Ice and Fire general thread: BOOK AND SHOW spoilers galore  (Read 234492 times)

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: A Song of Ice and Fire general thread: BOOK AND SHOW spoilers galore
« Reply #3200 on: January 30, 2019, 07:39:48 pm »
Was on Youtube passing the time before the game starts and came across this video.

Interesting viewing and does make me wonder about Littlefinger, there is another video floating around on Youtube with the theory that Littlefinger is the actual protagonist of GoT.

Not buying that,he is off chasing Aliens.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3201 on: January 31, 2019, 04:57:22 pm »
Alt Shift X new video today.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/A3iWCi7yYSc" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/A3iWCi7yYSc</a>
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #3202 on: April 30, 2020, 10:50:17 pm »
There seems to be rumours that it could be this year that the next George RR Martin book on Westeros is released. (Yes, I know we've had that before!) He has already hinted in interviews that the show's ending was one ending but not his. So the questions are, what would you like to see happen? What do you think will happen? I read another theory that Daenerys will not make Westeros until the final book, as she will travel Asshai first.

Time for some predictions.  :D 
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3203 on: April 30, 2020, 11:17:38 pm »
I wonder if the shows ending has put people off the final 2 books. I'll read it either way but hopefully it's very different. Obviously there's many more characters in the books. Need a catch up to make predictions
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3204 on: April 30, 2020, 11:21:53 pm »
I wonder if the shows ending has put people off the final 2 books. I'll read it either way but hopefully it's very different. Obviously there's many more characters in the books. Need a catch up to make predictions

I don't have much time to read books, but I download on audible. Just listening to A Clash of Kings now, I will listen to them just to see what the differences are.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3205 on: May 1, 2020, 09:13:58 am »

It has definitely ruined my interest. The last few seasons of the show really left a bad taste in my mouth to the point where I just stopped caring. 
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3206 on: May 1, 2020, 09:21:47 am »
I'll definitely be reading this if it comes out this year - will believe it when I see it!

The books will go in a much better direction IMO. Two subplots not included in the show which I'm intrigued about are:

Spoiler
Lady Stoneheart and the return of Aegon Targaryen
[close]

Will have to re-read Dance with Dragons at some point.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3207 on: May 1, 2020, 05:15:38 pm »
I'll definitely be reading this if it comes out this year - will believe it when I see it!

The books will go in a much better direction IMO. Two subplots not included in the show which I'm intrigued about are:

Spoiler
Lady Stoneheart and the return of Aegon Targaryen
[close]

Will have to re-read Dance with Dragons at some point.

Spoiler
How is Aegon Targaryen coming back? :o
[close]

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3208 on: May 1, 2020, 05:40:53 pm »
Spoiler
How is Aegon Targaryen coming back? :o
[close]

Massive spoiler revealed so don't read if you don't want to know:
Spoiler
did you not read Dance with Dragons? He's revealed to be 'Young Griff' and Varys tells a Lanniester at the end that Aegon never died as a baby during Robert's Rebellion- he was swapped with another baby and survived. He's apparently been training to take back the throne all these years.
[close]
« Last Edit: May 1, 2020, 05:43:23 pm by UntouchableLuis »

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3209 on: May 1, 2020, 05:59:44 pm »
Massive spoiler revealed so don't read if you don't want to know:
Spoiler
did you not read Dance with Dragons? He's revealed to be 'Young Griff' and Varys tells a Lanniester at the end that Aegon never died as a baby during Robert's Rebellion- he was swapped with another baby and survived. He's apparently been training to take back the throne all these years.
[close]

Spoiler
I am only on A Clash of Kings, as I decided to watch the series before reading the books. But I do look at a lot of fan videos and now you mention it, I had heard of that one. It will be interesting to see how differently he ends it overall. I just hope the new book does arrive shortly.
[close]

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3210 on: May 1, 2020, 06:47:40 pm »
Spoiler
I am only on A Clash of Kings, as I decided to watch the series before reading the books. But I do look at a lot of fan videos and now you mention it, I had heard of that one. It will be interesting to see how differently he ends it overall. I just hope the new book does arrive shortly.
[close]

If George can't finish this in isolation for months I dont think he ever will.

Offline redan

• yellowan pinkan green. purplean orangean blue.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'd prefer a beer!!
« Reply #3211 on: May 1, 2020, 08:08:02 pm »
The TV show has had the opposite effect for me. The last two series were so utterly dreadful that I can’t wait to read the books so I can get the proper endings and erase the shitshow which was GOT from my mind

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3212 on: May 1, 2020, 11:00:18 pm »
The TV show has had the opposite effect for me. The last two series were so utterly dreadful that I can’t wait to read the books so I can get the proper endings and erase the shitshow which was GOT from my mind

While I would agree, the last series was not one I enjoyed that much, there is still plenty that I like and admire about the rest of it. The problem was once the book material ran out, it became more of a challenge to develop the show with how it was initially written. But I am intrigued to see what differences Martin will take in terms of direction. I don't even mind Dany going down, providing it's written in a believable way and consistent way.

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3213 on: June 24, 2020, 05:09:10 pm »
Tweet from GRRM:

I have to confess, after half a year of pandemic, I am showing signs of cabin fever. If nothing else, the enforced isolation has helped me write. I am spending long hours every day on THE WINDS OF WINTER, and making steady progress. https://t.co/i0DRw51PC7

----

That should mean it could be ready in a few years then.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #3214 on: June 25, 2020, 12:13:14 am »
Tweet from GRRM:

I have to confess, after half a year of pandemic, I am showing signs of cabin fever. If nothing else, the enforced isolation has helped me write. I am spending long hours every day on THE WINDS OF WINTER, and making steady progress. https://t.co/i0DRw51PC7

----

That should mean it could be ready in a few years then.

May I remind everyone:

https://mashable.com/article/george-r-r-martin-new-zealand-jail-winds-of-winter/

Unlikely this convention will go ahead, however.

If he doesn't get it done this year he's gotta be confronting the strong probability that he won't finish the series.

Update: https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/george-rr-martin-winds-of-winter-release-date-game-of-thrones-1234647456/

He now says 2021.

hahahahaha
« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 12:16:50 am by Redcap »

Offline Shankly998

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3215 on: June 25, 2020, 12:53:25 am »
I'm thankful for the TV show as badly as they cocked up the ending, at least they finished the story and I can live in peace now knowing how it ends. GRRM will never finish the books I cared about that at one point but far past that now.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #3216 on: June 25, 2020, 05:21:28 am »
Fuck the fat fuck, he can shove it.

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #3217 on: June 28, 2020, 11:20:56 am »
It only took a global pandemic for him to knuckle down and do some real work on a book already five years "overdue", and it still sounds years away. Just bemused at this stage, if he hates writing it so much why not just bring in a team of ghost writers to help get it done, if only to rid himself of the burden?

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3218 on: June 28, 2020, 03:49:33 pm »
I'm thankful for the TV show as badly as they cocked up the ending, at least they finished the story and I can live in peace now knowing how it ends. GRRM will never finish the books I cared about that at one point but far past that now.

It can't end like that in the books. I think I could even write a better end than Bran randomly becoming King and the hero who saved everyone from a tyrant, mental, dragon controlling Queen being exiled to the Wall to fight fuck knows what.

Offline Shankly998

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3219 on: June 28, 2020, 09:01:30 pm »
It can't end like that in the books. I think I could even write a better end than Bran randomly becoming King and the hero who saved everyone from a tyrant, mental, dragon controlling Queen being exiled to the Wall to fight fuck knows what.

I think it will be exactly the same but how it gets there will be vastly different, in isolation I don't have a problem with the ending but a big problem with how they arrived at it. Bran won't be king because he has the best story but because he's no longer really human and thus isn't corruptible as others would be which will be explained better in the books. Jon will still kill Dan and Dany's descent into madness will be more gradual rather than completely out the blue as in the TV series. It was a happy ending for Jon he wasn't going to fight anything it was their way of giving him his freedom by the back door. Of course that assumes GRRM manages to finish the books which I don't think will happen.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 09:03:42 pm by Shankly998 »

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3220 on: July 1, 2020, 03:28:52 pm »
I think it will be exactly the same but how it gets there will be vastly different, in isolation I don't have a problem with the ending but a big problem with how they arrived at it. Bran won't be king because he has the best story but because he's no longer really human and thus isn't corruptible as others would be which will be explained better in the books. Jon will still kill Dan and Dany's descent into madness will be more gradual rather than completely out the blue as in the TV series. It was a happy ending for Jon he wasn't going to fight anything it was their way of giving him his freedom by the back door. Of course that assumes GRRM manages to finish the books which I don't think will happen.

All of that stuff is actually thematically hinted at in the books. The lead up is where the TV show fecked up.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3221 on: July 2, 2020, 09:58:24 am »

I suspect most, like you, are well past the point of caring. It won't be long before even the end of GoT is so far in the rear view that we'll just forget about ever giving a fuck.

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
  • My name is Henry Gale. I'm from Minnesota.
« Reply #3222 on: July 2, 2020, 02:41:53 pm »
No way on this earth he finishes the story. May squeeze 1 more book as he's been writing it for 8 years but no way he will do another two.

Offline Dubred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3223 on: July 6, 2020, 12:12:54 pm »
I suspect most, like you, are well past the point of caring. It won't be long before even the end of GoT is so far in the rear view that we'll just forget about ever giving a fuck.

This.  I think the longer he leaves it after the show, the less and less people give a shit.

Not that he probably needs the money, but if he does eventually finish it, many who would have bought the book probably won't be arsed

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3224 on: July 6, 2020, 12:35:38 pm »
This 1000%

Wasting years writing bloody history books on the Targaryans and the history of fucking Westeros, that could have been done after he finished the two books.

I'm past caring now, it's never getting written and i don't think he cares, pisses me off when he leaks a chapter, the hairy tease.

I can see someone in about 10 years after he's passed away and his publisher gets someone to finish the novels, the same way they do with the Jack Ryan novels from Tom Clancy that Mark Greaney does.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #3225 on: July 6, 2020, 12:37:37 pm »
If he doesn’t finish them, maybe get someone else to do it. Just echo the tv series, which ended perfectly.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Hendollama

• Baldanovski stan. Injustice can be committed only by persons who cannot be touched, only by persons who have power and authority.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3226 on: July 6, 2020, 12:48:25 pm »
If he doesn’t finish them, maybe get someone else to do it. Just echo the tv series, which ended perfectly.
:o
Happy is the man who avoids hardship, but how fine is the man who is afflicted and shows endurance.

Offline ChrisOH

• Main Stander
« Reply #3227 on: July 6, 2020, 04:18:57 pm »
Some people in this thread are so entitled. It's art, you get what you're given by the artist. He didn't demand you buy the previous books.

For what it's worth, he's obviously branched the story out so far that Winds of Winter is the attempt of pulling it all back together. Because of this, don't be surprised if it's a double book of some sort. It should also make the last book more streamlined to write.
Ye wha la.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3228 on: July 7, 2020, 08:11:37 am »
Some people in this thread are so entitled. It's art, you get what you're given by the artist. He didn't demand you buy the previous books.

For what it's worth, he's obviously branched the story out so far that Winds of Winter is the attempt of pulling it all back together. Because of this, don't be surprised if it's a double book of some sort. It should also make the last book more streamlined to write.

Without allowing myself to be drawn into a debate about whether ASOIAF is art or not, I think you could equally argue that people are frustrated because they've cared. That's a massive compliment to GRRM's writing. But just as we didn't buy his previous books because he made us, we can choose not to buy his remaining books, because people are caring less and less all the time.

A hell of a lot of water has passed under the bridge since the date of TWoW was even on the radar as a remote concern.

Offline ChrisOH

• Main Stander
« Reply #3229 on: July 7, 2020, 08:35:48 am »
Without allowing myself to be drawn into a debate about whether ASOIAF is art or not, I think you could equally argue that people are frustrated because they've cared. That's a massive compliment to GRRM's writing. But just as we didn't buy his previous books because he made us, we can choose not to buy his remaining books, because people are caring less and less all the time.

A hell of a lot of water has passed under the bridge since the date of TWoW was even on the radar as a remote concern.

By all means be frustrated, it was more aimed at people having a personal go at him.
Ye wha la.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3230 on: July 7, 2020, 09:03:24 am »
This 1000%

Wasting years writing bloody history books on the Targaryans and the history of fucking Westeros, that could have been done after he finished the two books.

I'm past caring now, it's never getting written and i don't think he cares, pisses me off when he leaks a chapter, the hairy tease.

I can see someone in about 10 years after he's passed away and his publisher gets someone to finish the novels, the same way they do with the Jack Ryan novels from Tom Clancy that Mark Greaney does.

He's a writer and this is what happens when you write. It happens to me all the time, you start on one story and its full scale ahead everything comes out in a rush, but those are the good moments when everything is free and flowing. I think when you write you have negative moments far more than the good ones and by that I mean you dry up with both ideas and ways of expression. It happens to me all the time, I often end up working on three different stories, mainly due to the fact that I can't contain the original standard. That often means going off and working on another story is a good thing, as it gives you time away from the story where your motivation has flopped. I'm sure it will get finished, but people need to realise that writing is not easy and you ebb and flow through the whole concept, which means its not always possible to end it each time to a set time frame. If it was everyone would write as it would be easy.