Author Topic: The Strain is Coming!  (Read 24656 times)

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
Re: The Strain is Coming!
« Reply #80 on: July 30, 2014, 03:27:03 pm »
Don't click the spoiler if you haven't seen this weeks ep.

Spoiler
Every time I've had a piss since I watched this weeks ep I've thought....imagine if your junk fell off.... ;D
[close]
Exercise is to the body what reading is to the mind.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #81 on: July 30, 2014, 03:42:23 pm »
Don't click the spoiler if you haven't seen this weeks ep.

Spoiler
Every time I've had a piss since I watched this weeks ep I've thought....imagine if your junk fell off.... ;D
[close]
There's vampires in it? :o

They make a much bigger deal of that in the books...and the scene where he bites that chica too!

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #82 on: July 30, 2014, 03:54:15 pm »
There's vampires in it? :o

They make a much bigger deal of that in the books...and the scene where he bites that chica too!
You can't film the books for tv can you...still enjoying it.

Spoiler
And I know how integral the family dynamic is to the story..but fuckin hell,it's hard work watching it onscreen.....I wasn't irritated by it in the books and you know it took up as much space in them....dunno what it is.
[close]

Thought it best to pop that in a spoiler..just in case.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 03:56:46 pm by dave 5516 »

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: July 30, 2014, 03:59:42 pm »
You can't film the books for tv can you...still enjoying it.

Spoiler
And I know how integral the family dynamic is to the story..but fuckin hell,it's hard work watching it onscreen.....I wasn't irritated by it in the books and you know it took up as much space in them....dunno what it is.
[close]
Spoiler
Yep that's been my gripe so far too. There's no finesse with that part of the story at all, it's just so fucking clunky/forced/contrived.

That story thread was interwoven into the books really well and never seemed to slow the pace or be superfluous.

But you're right, it's super important they get this bit right. Hopefully when the custody bollocks is dealt with sharpish and we can get onto the main course ;D
[close]

Offline Mouth

• Loretta the Wool. Closely related to SHF's Trousers....and thought Thomas Müller was down to miss a penno. He's behind yooo. Wants you to say "what?" one more time! Dreams about anal sex but couldn't come even if he wanted to.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Filmed in front of a live studio audience
    • www.bigassfans.com
« Reply #84 on: July 30, 2014, 04:16:40 pm »
It has improved on all fronts. Story wise its picked up and the direction and acting are better.

Still a few minor problems, the pacing for one. They keep showing the places events are happening, I forget if they are still putting the times up, but its the third ep and technically the second or third day I think, that info was and is being used to inject drama, like a count down or highlighting the area and none of it actually seems to matter, so its not doing that and so its pointless. In the first ep they made a big deal of characters saying the world will change tomorrow, like there is going to be chaos on the streets dah dah dummmm and then next day, nothing has really happened.

I get the whole kid custody issue is the docs narrative, to show how much he loves his kid really and how much whats going to come will probably be based around him trying to protect his son, like his ma will probably be turned or eaten or something and he has to balance fighting vamps and saving the world with being a single dad blah blah. Its just that its dull, its being dragged out, I really don't care and at this point I hope the little tit gets eaten. Its a well used trope, its been done to death, see it with the walking dead. If they are going to use a well worn path, do the my son got eaten and I'm out for revenge one. Then at least you don't have the 24 scenario, of oh no my kids in trouble, aaagain, have to go save the little bleeder. Or the choose between doing the right thing, saving the world/lots of people and putting my own needs first and saving my sprog yaaawn scenario.

I guess the main gripe is its 3 eps in and still in the first act setting up the story. This is a tv writing issue in general though. Its a problem when its a long narrative, rather than episodic monster of the week show. Doesn't help either when its only 42 minutes of screen time.
So, even though I'm moaning, overall its still being done ok given the constraints.
"Paranoia is a very comforting state of mind. If you think they're out to get you, it means you think you matter"

Jurgen! What is best in life?

Crush your enemies. See dem driven before you. Hear d'lamentations of der vimmen.

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
  • My name is Henry Gale. I'm from Minnesota.
« Reply #85 on: August 4, 2014, 09:36:33 pm »

Marlo  ;D

Spoiler
I'm quite enjoying it. Think it will get crazy when/If the virus thingy becomes public knowledge.
[close]

Offline Mouth

• Loretta the Wool. Closely related to SHF's Trousers....and thought Thomas Müller was down to miss a penno. He's behind yooo. Wants you to say "what?" one more time! Dreams about anal sex but couldn't come even if he wanted to.
  • Legacy Fan
    • www.bigassfans.com
« Reply #86 on: August 4, 2014, 09:42:14 pm »
That ep flew by, very enjoyable, pacing was much better.
"Paranoia is a very comforting state of mind. If you think they're out to get you, it means you think you matter"

Crush your enemies. See dem driven before you. Hear d'lamentations of der vimmen.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #87 on: August 4, 2014, 10:30:38 pm »
Loved it.

Last scenes were epic with setrakian

Good to see marlo.  8)
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #88 on: August 5, 2014, 07:28:05 pm »
Really enjoying this.It's slowed down a lot and it's better as it's not trying as hard now.

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: August 5, 2014, 07:43:12 pm »
Yep really coming along nicely now init. Can actually see this making it to the end if the improvement continues :)

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #90 on: August 6, 2014, 05:38:15 am »
Caught up with it over night. Hate vampire stuff, missus loves it, but she started watching this one and I kind of got into it even without knowing anything about it before hand - to be fair, missus didn't know it was vampires and thought it was aliens... Quite like it so far, even with a few provisos attached.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline Oddball

• aka 'Steve'. Thinks Autumn is a series. Shite at COD. Search me. Mathematical legend. "Space". Likes to Fuck holmes. Currently sporting a fetching muzzy. Onion Fondler. Blinded by the light. Would like a small larger beer. Can fakh orf
  • RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
« Reply #91 on: August 6, 2014, 06:27:21 am »
Looks like another programme I shall have to give a whirl.
We may sign Salah, but I'll show my arse in the middle of town if we sign one of VVD or Keita. Not gonna happen.

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: August 6, 2014, 10:02:02 am »
Looks like another programme I shall have to give a whirl.
Do it laaaa :wave

Fisrt epsiode felt a bit rushed but it's come on in leaps and bounds since. I really think it's going to come into it's own over the next few epsiodes and by the time we reach the season finale it'll be missed till the next series!

Offline Oddball

• aka 'Steve'. Thinks Autumn is a series. Shite at COD. Search me. Mathematical legend. "Space". Likes to Fuck holmes. Currently sporting a fetching muzzy. Onion Fondler. Blinded by the light. Would like a small larger beer. Can fakh orf
  • RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
« Reply #93 on: August 6, 2014, 10:03:21 am »
Do it laaaa :wave

Fisrt epsiode felt a bit rushed but it's come on in leaps and bounds since. I really think it's going to come into it's own over the next few epsiodes and by the time we reach the season finale it'll be missed till the next series!

Coolio. Do you know how many episodes there are of the 1st series?
We may sign Salah, but I'll show my arse in the middle of town if we sign one of VVD or Keita. Not gonna happen.

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: August 6, 2014, 10:06:43 am »
Coolio. Do you know how many episodes there are of the 1st series?

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: August 7, 2014, 07:07:12 pm »
Enjoyed that episode, but really don't care about that Hispanic guy and his mother
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #96 on: August 7, 2014, 07:15:31 pm »
Enjoyed that episode, but really don't care about that Hispanic guy and his mother
He's integral to the story though.

Offline Saul Goodman

• Superfluous apostrophe's are us
  • Legacy Fan
  • Better call Saul!
    • Better Call Saul.
« Reply #97 on: August 12, 2014, 01:57:29 am »
This is ridiculously enjoyable. The fifth episode was great.

Offline Oddball

• RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof

Offline Redman0151

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: August 18, 2014, 04:48:09 pm »
Enjoyed that episode again

Spoiler
But the eclipse thing was stupid, it was being built up like it was going to cause the entire city to fall into chaos, and it just sort of happened for 5 minutes, a few died on the street and the city carried on like normal.

Rat catcher guy is the best so far.
[close]

Anybody know how well this is doing in terms of viewing figures now and how likely it is to be renewed? Enjoyable watch, but feels like one of those shows that might struggle
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: August 18, 2014, 04:58:44 pm »

Spoiler
But the eclipse thing was stupid, it was being built up like it was going to cause the entire city to fall into chaos, and it just sort of happened for 5 minutes, a few died on the street and the city carried on like normal.

[close]

Anybody know how well this is doing in terms of viewing figures now and how likely it is to be renewed? Enjoyable watch, but feels like one of those shows that might struggle
http://variety.com/2014/tv/ratings/fxs-the-strain-premieres-to-promising-ratings-showtimes-sunday-series-return-lower-1201262130/#

No idea what any of that actually means lol ;D

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #101 on: August 18, 2014, 05:18:18 pm »
http://variety.com/2014/tv/ratings/fxs-the-strain-premieres-to-promising-ratings-showtimes-sunday-series-return-lower-1201262130/#

No idea what any of that actually means lol ;D
Re-upped for another..is what it means la...it's all good. ;)

Was given a second a few days ago.

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #102 on: August 18, 2014, 05:25:39 pm »

Spoiler

[close]

It's getting over 2 million an episode and with FX losing both Justified and SOA this winter it's already been given a second...inevitably if these numbers continue we'll get the third and final in 16...hopefully.

Offline Redman0151

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: August 18, 2014, 05:28:13 pm »
It's getting over 2 million an episode and with FX losing both Justified and SOA this winter it's already been given a second...inevitably if these numbers continue we'll get the third and final in 16...hopefully.

That's good to hear, thanks

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: August 19, 2014, 09:52:52 pm »
Was given a second a few days ago.
Aye spotted this but was too busy in work to reply. Belting news :wave

Offline Redman0151

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: August 26, 2014, 12:53:28 pm »
Spoiler
Haha that "good guy" zombie is boss
[close]

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: August 27, 2014, 12:50:42 am »
Spoiler
Haha that "good guy" zombie is boss
[close]
Awhhhh I'm telling! You said the Z word!

Offline pazcom

• Kopite
« Reply #107 on: August 27, 2014, 04:16:09 pm »
Just watched first six episodes good so far....
Keira 29/04/1999
 --- Violet 09/09/2020
 --- Myles 13/10/2021
Sophie 26/04/2006

My little Reds

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: August 27, 2014, 05:20:09 pm »
It gets more interesting by the episode, which is a sign of good story telling. I'm enjoying the flashback scenes too. They explain a lot, unlike that other vampire show where the flashbacks scenes are completely random, stupid and pointless to the fact that I couldn't give two flying fucks and zone out or just skip ahead.

Offline Oddball

• RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
« Reply #109 on: August 27, 2014, 05:25:38 pm »
Is it 14 year old girl friendly or will it scare her?

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: August 27, 2014, 05:29:47 pm »
Not sure what the sensibilities of a 14 year old girl are but....

In the first episode someone gets their head squished into mush......and it a later episode someone's dick drops on into the toilet. The violence does have a bit of a comic book feel to it, there's a dark humour there too.

Not sure if that's a help or a hindrance....check out the first episode on your todd and make a parental decision :wave

Offline Oddball

• RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
« Reply #111 on: August 27, 2014, 05:36:03 pm »
Not sure what the sensibilities of a 14 year old girl are but....

In the first episode someone gets their head squished into mush......and it a later episode someone's dick drops on into the toilet. The violence does have a bit of a comic book feel to it, there's a dark humour there too.

Not sure if that's a help or a hindrance....check out the first episode on your todd and make a parental decision :wave

Hmmmm, ok ta mate.

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #112 on: August 27, 2014, 05:41:29 pm »
Hmmmm, ok ta mate.
You don't see his junk fall off but,when he turns around you see his groin is a lot like Titi's...smooth and hairless like a Ken Doll.... :)

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: August 27, 2014, 05:42:54 pm »
You don't see his junk fall off but,when he turns around you see his groin is a lot like Titi's...smooth and hairless like a Ken Doll.... :)
Fucking cocksucker! Better person than me my arse lol ::)

Offline Oddball

• RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
« Reply #114 on: August 27, 2014, 05:44:10 pm »

Hahahahaaha

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #115 on: August 27, 2014, 05:45:25 pm »
Fucking cocksucker! Better person than me my arse lol ::)
:lmao

What's up la...been arguing with Barbie again.... :P

Sorry brother. ;)

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: August 27, 2014, 05:54:23 pm »
:lmao

What's up la...been arguing with Barbie again.... :P

Sorry brother. ;)
Hippy!

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #117 on: August 27, 2014, 06:04:21 pm »

Offline Mouth

• Legacy Fan
    • www.bigassfans.com
« Reply #118 on: August 27, 2014, 06:15:34 pm »
What else has she seen? Its actually a lot like Blade 2, the vamps are pretty similar. In terms of gore, they show bodies being cut up on the likes of all them CSI shows don't they and kids these days seem to watch them no trouble, don't think its any worse than them.

Offline Oddball

• RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
« Reply #119 on: August 28, 2014, 03:18:46 am »
What else has she seen? Its actually a lot like Blade 2, the vamps are pretty similar. In terms of gore, they show bodies being cut up on the likes of all them CSI shows don't they and kids these days seem to watch them no trouble, don't think its any worse than them.

Sorry mate, my post was a bit ambiguous. We watched it earlier and the rating popped up at the start saying 14+, so it was all good. We were both a bit meh with it, but are going to give it another couple of episodes.