Author Topic: Pep Lijnders  (Read 150601 times)

Offline Mactavish

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Pep Lijnders returns to Liverpool with immediate effect
« Reply #480 on: January 9, 2020, 10:08:29 pm »
Great article but I really feel the whole thing shouldn’t be published here.

I get what you're saying, bud, and I really did think twice but you know what? What an advert for The Athletic that is. I think if their stuff getting posted in full on here  became even slightly regular then it'd be a bad thing. But just that? I think it  being seen more broadly does more good than harm for them to be honest.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #481 on: January 9, 2020, 10:13:47 pm »

Why? I put on an article from Jonathan Norcroft after asking his permission, which he was happy to give.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Mactavish

• Anny Roader
« Reply #482 on: January 9, 2020, 10:17:29 pm »
Why? I put on an article from Jonathan Norcroft after asking his permission, which he was happy to give.

I think he's saying it because it's behind a paywall.

Offline red vinyl

• Kopite
« Reply #483 on: January 9, 2020, 11:50:57 pm »
Loved that great insight into our number 2.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #484 on: January 9, 2020, 11:52:00 pm »
I think he's saying it because it's behind a paywall.

The Jonathan Norcroft article is behind a paywall as well, but you can get around things by asking their permission to use it.

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #485 on: January 10, 2020, 05:01:25 am »
So unless there is confirmation of permission from the author to post an article that’s behind a paywall, for free to the public, then it shouldn’t be posted. I subscribe and pay for The Athletic (as do many others on here) and posting articles without permission cheapens what is an outstanding product.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 05:04:51 am by Lone Star Red »
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #486 on: January 10, 2020, 08:08:21 am »
It's not that it cheapens the product that's the issue. It's that the post has potentially given RAWK a copyright problem. You can post up to 500 words with a credit without running into that.

Offline ThePoolMan

• Not quite the Pool Man, more like the ESL Man
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #487 on: January 10, 2020, 09:00:34 am »
That article reveals just  how well run every aspect of Liverpool FC is and how excellence and perfection is being chased by the entire club from top all the way to every level, and that the greatest resource of the club is in the quality of the character, relentless drive and sheer technical competence of its human capital. But first comes always the character, and it makes me so proud of how far the club hsa gone in the years since FSG has taken over. We were not fulfilling our potential in how well we were run though the character was not in question under Moores, then we received a big shot of competence with Houllier and then boosted by Benitez but then our club fell into the hands of two owners who should never have been owners of the club, leading to open warfare between owners on one hand and manager and fans on the other side.  But so much credit is due to FSG which came in from the get go to  do their best to understand football, Liverpool and the Premiership and then to build character and competence back into the DNA of the club again, and propelling the club back to the zenith of football where it belongs.

Offline Sinyoro

• Give the ball to Bobby and he will scyoro
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #488 on: January 10, 2020, 09:06:07 am »
Too many Pep interviews, at times he just needs to say no. We understand he is great but some things just skate on the verge of revealing way too much info on how the organisation works. Not impressed

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #489 on: January 10, 2020, 09:21:04 am »
Too many Pep interviews, at times he just needs to say no. We understand he is great but some things just skate on the verge of revealing way too much info on how the organisation works. Not impressed

There's nothing he said in there that's new or secret, though. It's fundamental coaching stuff, done to a high level of intensity, consistently.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline Sinyoro

• Give the ball to Bobby and he will scyoro
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #490 on: January 10, 2020, 09:26:37 am »
There's nothing he said in there that's new or secret, though. It's fundamental coaching stuff, done to a high level of intensity, consistently.

If you say so POP but I am more on the side of less talking. The press here builds you up and prey on you like vultures when things go wrong. The Athletic journos do seem to be a good bunch though

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #491 on: January 10, 2020, 09:30:57 am »

I agree but some people believe everything should be free on the internet.
Those people have obviously never been journalists or have friends who make money this way.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #492 on: January 10, 2020, 09:32:37 am »
If you say so POP but I am more on the side of less talking. The press here builds you up and prey on you like vultures when things go wrong. The Athletic journos do seem to be a good bunch though

I don't think we'd see that unless and until he became Liverpool boss, or boss of another premier league club. Right now, I think he has enough "hiddenness" to be able to talk technical stuff without being torn down for it by the mainstream press
Better looking than Samie.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #493 on: January 10, 2020, 10:05:37 am »
Are there any books on Dutch coaching that you could recommend, mate?
It depends on how technical you want to get. "Teambuilding" by Michels is essential. "Brilliant Orange" by Winner is also excellent. "Ajax, Barcelona, Cruyff" by Barend has some great insights too.

If you want more technical "coaching" stuff. I can give you a list of those too.
i am actually beginning to think POP is someone i know

i just text a fella i know who also recommended teambuilding and brilliant orange.

bloke i know is a part time football coach and he is absolutely obsessed with Rinus Michels. He loves those books and gave me a great insight into them.

said the dutch pretty much went though euro 88 with a back two. From what i recall the team that played Ireland was

Van Breukelen

Van Aerle  Rijkaard  RonKoeman Van Tiggelen

e. Koeman, wouters, Vanenburg, Muhren

Gullit Vanbasten

effectively two defensive mids at centre back, full backs pushed way up, Wouters sat in. I could be wrong on that line up, i didnt google, i think Vanenburg played left wing, simply because i remember him cutting in from the left for a dangerous shot. Muhren was left sided from what i recall given his asssist for van basten in the final is way out left. whats confusing me is Erwin Koeman may not have been right sided

but anyway they played a very unreal formation but hell it was very effective

Just talking to this mate of mine he will blow you away with his coaching technique and he highly recommends those books   
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline Dubred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #494 on: January 10, 2020, 12:17:13 pm »
Clearly we've got the best professionals now top to bottom running the club.

Clearly we've got the best personalities now knitting the whole thing together and everyone singing from the same hymn sheet.

One word that springs to mind now that embodies everything we've become from the owners, right down through the management team, players, club staff etc - TEAM

Everyone's together.  Its bloody great.  And its something that takes time, patience, humility and dedication.

This isn't a short term fix to our club.  This really is the building of a sustainable dynasty that can be handed down to the next manager, and the next, and the next.

Everything Utd are missing these days and its bloody fantastic   ;D

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #495 on: January 10, 2020, 12:26:23 pm »
Excellent, fascinating interview.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #496 on: January 10, 2020, 12:28:05 pm »

Simon Hughes was one of my favourite Liverpool journos, was really gutted when he left the Independent.

Offline Desert Red Fox

• Legacy Fan
  • Orange and Red!
« Reply #497 on: January 10, 2020, 01:17:33 pm »
excellent interview!

I love the way Lijnders expesses himself - he's both really articulate but crystal-clear in what he's trying to convey. Minimal filler. Could probably explain complex stuff in really easy terms so even a kid could grasp it.

People like that, they're essential.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #498 on: January 10, 2020, 01:47:21 pm »

If you want more technical "coaching" stuff. I can give you a list of those too.

You know I want to see that list, PoPs...

Thank you and yes please!

Edit: apologies to others for wandering off topic but could I also ask for help in obtaining the best things to read on under 7s football, too, please?

An open and polite request for coaching suggestions with 7s, and you've yet to to reply.

Thousands of gags about 7s being naturally gifted, "heavy-metal football gegenpressers" going missing, slack work PoPs... 8)
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #499 on: January 10, 2020, 02:15:06 pm »
i am actually beginning to think POP is someone i know

i just text a fella i know who also recommended teambuilding and brilliant orange.

bloke i know is a part time football coach and he is absolutely obsessed with Rinus Michels. He loves those books and gave me a great insight into them.

said the dutch pretty much went though euro 88 with a back two. From what i recall the team that played Ireland was

Van Breukelen

Van Aerle  Rijkaard  RonKoeman Van Tiggelen

e. Koeman, wouters, Vanenburg, Muhren

Gullit Vanbasten

effectively two defensive mids at centre back, full backs pushed way up, Wouters sat in. I could be wrong on that line up, i didnt google, i think Vanenburg played left wing, simply because i remember him cutting in from the left for a dangerous shot. Muhren was left sided from what i recall given his asssist for van basten in the final is way out left. whats confusing me is Erwin Koeman may not have been right sided

but anyway they played a very unreal formation but hell it was very effective

Just talking to this mate of mine he will blow you away with his coaching technique and he highly recommends those books
So, you're mates with Colin Pascoe?

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #500 on: January 10, 2020, 02:44:19 pm »
So, you're mates with Colin Pascoe?
ah now it makes sense, hes always ordering cones off me
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #501 on: January 10, 2020, 03:01:22 pm »
Clearly we've got the best professionals now top to bottom running the club.

Clearly we've got the best personalities now knitting the whole thing together and everyone singing from the same hymn sheet.

One word that springs to mind now that embodies everything we've become from the owners, right down through the management team, players, club staff etc - TEAM

Everyone's together.  Its bloody great.  And its something that takes time, patience, humility and dedication.

This isn't a short term fix to our club.  This really is the building of a sustainable dynasty that can be handed down to the next manager, and the next, and the next.

Everything Utd are missing these days and its bloody fantastic   ;D
That all started with Henry. We are really blessed to have an owner like him. A very good ambassador of his country after the abortion that were the Cancers.

You get people who know what to look for in others that would make a project, venture,business, career etc a success and John has surrounded himself with extra-ordinary individuals who themselves know how to recruit the people who would help them the most, as well as to inspire those people to greatness, like themselves.

Even down to the players- they all think and act like Klopp to a degree and they take responsibility and their destiny into their own hands. Who needs one player to take a game by the scruff of the neck, when you can have 11?

It's a wonderful Gremlin-effect. A beautiful viral operation. They're all spawning great copies everywhere! :)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 03:06:49 pm by the_red_pill »
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #502 on: January 10, 2020, 04:17:54 pm »
That all started with Henry. We are really blessed to have an owner like him. A very good ambassador of his country after the abortion that were the Cancers.

You get people who know what to look for in others that would make a project, venture,business, career etc a success and John has surrounded himself with extra-ordinary individuals who themselves know how to recruit the people who would help them the most, as well as to inspire those people to greatness, like themselves.

Even down to the players- they all think and act like Klopp to a degree and they take responsibility and their destiny into their own hands. Who needs one player to take a game by the scruff of the neck, when you can have 11?

It's a wonderful Gremlin-effect. A beautiful viral operation. They're all spawning great copies everywhere! :)

It took a while for them to get everything right, although the intent was always there. Ian Ayre was overpromoted too many times and in way over his head and a lot of transfer window fuck ups pre-Klopp. It took them a long time to get the right people in to run the club which led to omnishambles like the Suarez thing killing seasons.

The absolute key obviously was Klopp. Overnight you went from Rodgers undermining the people behind the scenes briefing against transfer committees and what have you to a proper collegiate effort. Ayre being binned off after one disaster too many (his pathetic crisis management leading to the Sunderland protest) helped sow the seeds off the pitch as well.

Klopp has got everybody working together and revitalised the club the way Shankly did.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 04:21:14 pm by Fromola »
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #503 on: January 10, 2020, 07:57:48 pm »
It took a while for them to get everything right, although the intent was always there. Ian Ayre was overpromoted too many times and in way over his head and a lot of transfer window fuck ups pre-Klopp. It took them a long time to get the right people in to run the club which led to omnishambles like the Suarez thing killing seasons.

The absolute key obviously was Klopp. Overnight you went from Rodgers undermining the people behind the scenes briefing against transfer committees and what have you to a proper collegiate effort. Ayre being binned off after one disaster too many (his pathetic crisis management leading to the Sunderland protest) helped sow the seeds off the pitch as well.

Klopp has got everybody working together and revitalised the club the way Shankly did.
Agree mate. I've always felt they (Henry and Werner) gave people a real, decent chance before they let them go. I also think they first kept Ayre around to buy some time and get this football-lark down. He really grew the business commercially, much moreso than anyone before him. Moore seems a big improvement in the management sense though.

Once they did, they tried their hand a bit, but it was only going to be a matter of time till the right man would come along. They did after all, prize Klopp highly and approached him after Hodgson. Then first there was Comolli, followed by an even more massive success in Edwards.
Mike Gordon was another huge influence who recruited Pep for instance.

Klopp though- makes it ALL come together.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 08:09:35 pm by the_red_pill »
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
  • ♪ ...and now Jürgen-a believe us... ♬
« Reply #504 on: January 10, 2020, 08:20:13 pm »
Sounds like Klopp is building a new "boot room" culture at the club. Doing amazing things now, but looking to leave an ongoing legacy for the future.

What a time to be a Liverpool fan.
"I said to the boys before the game it would be impossible. But because it’s you, I say we have a chance."
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

"I told them if we score it will be different. We scored. It was different."
Rafael Benitez, 25 May 2005

Offline Mackeroo

• Like mackerel, just more impressive. And bouncier.....now with added joeys.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #505 on: January 10, 2020, 11:53:39 pm »

It's one thing the opposition knowing what you are going to try to do. It's another thing altogether trying to stop it.

Offline RedBootsTommySmith

• Kopite
Pep Lijnders
« Reply #506 on: October 27, 2021, 04:31:04 pm »
Just watched his pre-match interview for the Preston game. How impressive is this guy! He was also talking about the role Milner still has to play while injured, in support of the training sessions, like an extension of the coaching staff.

I think when Klopp decides to take a rest, we have a succession already defined. Bootroom Generation 2.0. The future looks good.

Victorious and glorious....

Offline Notorious IT

• Gilt complex.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Alcoholic
Re: Pep Lijnders
« Reply #507 on: October 27, 2021, 04:32:10 pm »
Give Klopp his 6 months to a year off and have Pep take control for that period.

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #508 on: October 27, 2021, 04:40:06 pm »
He must be a great coach.

Ever since Buvac left and he joined, we have totally transformed as a team, obviously, some of it is down to the acquisition of players like Fabinho and Alisson. But even our playstyle has changed from being a counter-pressing, counter-attacking team to a team that dominates with and without the ball.

Offline bornandbRED

• ... an ESL super fan. aka physioSTALKER
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #509 on: October 27, 2021, 04:59:23 pm »
Only 38. Coaches don’t always translate into great managers and his stint in Holland didn’t go too well, but he seems to be a bit of a Vilanova type for us.

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #510 on: October 27, 2021, 05:01:17 pm »
I'd be amazed is he's not being blooded to take over from Klopp.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #511 on: October 27, 2021, 05:06:14 pm »

I'd be quite amazed if we were looking to give anyone with such little experience as the main man the role personally.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #512 on: October 27, 2021, 05:33:49 pm »
The best Pep in the league.

Also he may or may not be Musialowski's father.  :o  I want to know what he was doing in Warsaw 19 years ago?

Offline 67CherryRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #513 on: October 27, 2021, 06:43:02 pm »
I'd be quite amazed if we were looking to give anyone with such little experience as the main man the role personally.
Whereas I'd be amazed if we looked elsewhere.

One of us is in for a shock in 2024.

Offline gray19lfc

• Would like a McFly hairstyle
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the end of a storm, there's a golden sky ★★★★★★
« Reply #514 on: October 27, 2021, 06:44:30 pm »
Also he may or may not be Musialowski's father.  :o  I want to know what he was doing in Warsaw 19 years ago?

Wondering the same thing now!

Online mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #515 on: October 27, 2021, 07:45:22 pm »

He's definitely a great coach. But it's such an unknown quantity making that step up to management. There's the issue of tactics, in game management and leadership capabilities.

Not saying that Pep doesn't have these or doesn't contribute his fair share already, but there have been plenty of technically brilliant coaches making the step up who have severely lacked the key aspects of management.

Those in the club will know better, and FSG are certainly no sentimentalists, so if he does, then I have every confidence they have made the right decision.

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #516 on: October 27, 2021, 11:40:21 pm »
What would Manchester United give to get this fella to coach them? Of course it would never happen. Pep's a Red. But it must be galling for them to realise that Liverpool have three of the best coaches in the world and they're stuck with the bloke who toe poked an injury-time winner once long ago.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline JonnyCigarettes®

• Airfix salesman (rumoured to be training a secret wankfest monkey arsegravy army)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty fly for a white guy
« Reply #517 on: October 28, 2021, 12:42:47 am »
I wouldn't be sad if Pep took the reins for a period.  The main thing would be that he was surrounded by strong leaders that understand the current set up, such as Milner and Henderson, rather than any ex-player whose frame of reference is former managers and players.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2021, 12:45:19 am by JonnyCigarettes® »
Johnny Sack: 200 grand for insulting my wife. What's next, Carmine, he gets to fuck her for a million?

Carmine: He wants to fuck her?

Johnny Sack: I'm making a point.

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #518 on: October 28, 2021, 12:47:59 am »
It’s great hearing Lijnders talk about football. Could listen to him all day.

I think it’s clear Lijnders’ role is gradually becoming more and more prominent. If Klopp was to take some time off then it’s pretty obvious he’d step in as temporary manager. That could work as a sort of easing into the role that he might one day have full-time.

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #519 on: October 28, 2021, 12:51:55 am »
I wouldn't be sad if Pep took the reins for a period.  The main thing would be that he was surrounded by strong leaders that understand the current set up, such as Milner and Henderson, rather than any ex-player whose frame of reference is former managers and players.
Totally agreed. The last thing we need is a “Class of 92” situation like at United.

They mentioned this on the Guardian’s Football Weekly podcast this week. How United have developed a policy of just letting in random ex-players into pivotal roles.