Poll

Who is the best British Sportsperson ever at their sport?

Andy Murray
Jessica Ennis-Hill
Kelly Holmes
Laura Kenny
Lewis Hamilton
Ronnie O’Sullivan

Author Topic: Best British Sportsperson Ever at their Sport  (Read 2049 times)

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Best British Sportsperson Ever at their Sport
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2023, 12:24:54 pm »
Jonathan edwards was a beast who jumped past the measuring board he was so good then presented songs of praise then sacked it off, a clear winner.
He was the one that immediately came to mind.  I remember watching his two world record jumps "live" (as in, on the telly) and briefly falling in love with athletics.

That it's still the record nearly three decades later is amazing when you think of all the technological advances in that time and what triple jump actually involves.  As a lay person it seems like an event that should really benefit from sports science and footwear developments.

The only thing that counts against him is that triple jump is a bit... niche.  Technically it's an event that is open to anyone really but I can't imagine there's the talent spotting network globally to unearth many of the promising talents.

As a relatively small island we've turned out some great cyclists over the years but I can't get over the technical advantages provided to our cyclists - many fair, some less so - and that diminishes it a bit.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2023, 12:36:21 pm »
Brian Jacks.

No contest.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • At the End of a Storm there's a Golden Sky.
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2023, 12:59:53 pm »
If you believe that Nadal, Federer and Djokovic are numbers 1-3 in an all-time list, then in terms of ability Murray would easily make top 10. If however you think that the likes of Sampras, Becker, Bjorg and Agassi would have competed for slams even in this era then yeah, he's not that great.

The problem with lauding Andy Murray and his winning of 3 grand slams in the era is Stan Wawrinka. And whilst he reached an additional 8 finals, he only one four sets in those. He was emphatically the fourth best in the world. I have no doubt the greats from other eras would have won more slams during the era.
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are." - Bill Shankly

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2023, 01:13:20 pm »
The problem with lauding Andy Murray and his winning of 3 grand slams in the era is Stan Wawrinka. And whilst he reached an additional 8 finals, he only one four sets in those. He was emphatically the fourth best in the world. I have no doubt the greats from other eras would have won more slams during the era.
Do his Olympic and Davis Cup achievements count in his favour?  The former is clearly a great achievement and winning the Davis Cup in 2015 - the first time in a couple of generations - almost solely off the back of the efforts of Murray was very much unexpected.

The dearth of talent either side of the Murray era elevates him more than should maybe be the case but I'd have him in my top five for the original question.

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2023, 01:28:03 pm »
Do his Olympic and Davis Cup achievements count in his favour?  The former is clearly a great achievement and winning the Davis Cup in 2015 - the first time in a couple of generations - almost solely off the back of the efforts of Murray was very much unexpected.

The dearth of talent either side of the Murray era elevates him more than should maybe be the case but I'd have him in my top five for the original question.

Of course they do. I personally don’t see how he can be elevated above the likes of Sampras, Borg, McEnroe, Connors and Agassi. The one thing going for him compared to them is longevity as their careers were markedly shorter than his for the most part.
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are." - Bill Shankly

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2023, 01:51:37 pm »
Was the fortune teller arrested for dangerous driving?  ;D

£100 fine* which she more than covered with the bet she'd placed

*That's the actual fine that the driver got
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Jean Girard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2023, 02:19:04 pm »
Phil Taylor!

Also Paula Radcliffe was ridiculously good in her day.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 02:25:18 pm by Jean Girard »
And now, the matador shall dance with the blind shoemaker!

Offline stoopid yank

• Legacy Fan
  • Bird is the Word
« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2023, 03:36:38 pm »
why isn't Chris Froome on this list????
I don't always listen to Black Sabbath, but when I do, so do the neighbors.

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2023, 03:39:54 pm »
why isn't Chris Froome on this list????

Asthma

Offline stoopid yank

• Legacy Fan
  • Bird is the Word
« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2023, 03:41:48 pm »
Asthma

Thought he had been cleared of that?

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2023, 03:43:31 pm »
Still hangs around like a bad smell, especially in cycling

Offline stoopid yank

• Legacy Fan
  • Bird is the Word
« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2023, 03:49:58 pm »
Still hangs around like a bad smell, especially in cycling

sorry to hear, it was always my understanding he got an unfair rap

https://www.forbes.com/sites/briangoff/2018/07/09/chris-froome-is-not-lance-armstrong/?sh=5acb92952aed

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: January 26, 2023, 10:00:20 am »
Incredibly tight pool. Amazing how the results differ from the men’s only poll, probably due to that having a wider selection of options and an impossible to say option too.

Do we want to put a time limit on this and close the poll after a while with a declared winner, or just leave it open?

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #53 on: January 31, 2023, 03:32:59 pm »
Can't believe that 52 posts in and 2 pages in no one has even mentioned Steven Redgrave

5 Gold Medals at 5 different olympics is absolutely incredible.
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: January 31, 2023, 03:46:53 pm »
Can't believe that 52 posts in and 2 pages in no one has even mentioned Steven Redgrave

5 Gold Medals at 5 different olympics is absolutely incredible.

He was an option in the 'Sportsman' thread but only got 4 votes.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #55 on: January 31, 2023, 03:54:07 pm »
He was an option in the 'Sportsman' thread but only got 4 votes.
I didnt see that thread sorry

just this one

of the above I will go with Hamilton
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: January 31, 2023, 04:12:44 pm »
If you believe that Nadal, Federer and Djokovic are numbers 1-3 in an all-time list, then in terms of ability Murray would easily make top 10. If however you think that the likes of Sampras, Becker, Bjorg and Agassi would have competed for slams even in this era then yeah, he's not that great.

Personally, I think Sampras and Becker would have 100% competed against the big 3 at Wimbledon, but have no more chance than Murray in the other Slams. Borg would definitely be competitive in at least France and probably US & Aus as well. Peak Borg against Nadal in France would be very interesting.

Online Scottymuser

• Has many leather bound books (about football), and his home smells of rich mahogany. Bow to his superior knowledge of central defenders.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: January 31, 2023, 05:05:26 pm »
I like Andy Murray, and if he had been born 10 years earlier or later he would have won 10+ grand slams. He has landed slap bang in the middle of literally the 3 GOATs (alongside Rod Laver) of his sport and still competed. The only other person on this list in the conversation is Ronnie.

I disagree - if he was born 10 years earlier, and was competing with Sampras/Agassi/Becker in the 90s, and Sampras and early Federrer in the early to mid 00s, I can't see him winning more major titles than the 3 he has; if he was born a decade later, and still coming up against an ageing Nadal/Djoko, he'd still be losing to them right now anyway, but maybe over the next, say, 5-6 years he might win some more (especially as it looks like the weakest ever era of tennis players, but that could just be because Nole and Nadal are still playing).  Sampras and Agassi are way, way underrated - Agassi especially, still a top 5 returner of all time for my money.

But then again, I'd also not have Hamilton (I'd argue his cars are even more dominant than Schumachers were in most of his world titles, and even then he lost 2/3 of them whilst being in that dominant car), Ennis Hill OR Holmes (Farah would be closer but still not quite there for me); of the 6 I voted for Kenny, up there with her hubbie and/or Hoy as the greatest ever British Olympian (with Regrave and probably Ainslie rounding out a top 5 of Olympians). 

And I am probably being harsh there on Adam Peaty - in terms of pure statistics (world Records, margins of victory, etc) across two Olympics he was ridiculously dominant and nobody can touch him on that front - even Phelps at his most dominant was not regularly beating the entire field by as much, or holding 20 of the top 20 fastest times of all time (as Peaty did in April 21 in the 100m breast stroke) -  since then, Kamminga has gone 57.8 which would have been good for 13th/14th - but then Peaty went quicker 3 times at the same meet, so thats now 19 of the top 20 (with Kamminga having the 16th/17th spot) and 7/8 of the next 10.

Cavendish (and maybe Wiggins/Froome) would also be up for consideration - people forget just how good Cav was (still holds the record for most sprint victories at the TDF, and 2nd only behind the GOAT Merckx for overall wins) at his peak. 

Online Scottymuser

• Has many leather bound books (about football), and his home smells of rich mahogany. Bow to his superior knowledge of central defenders.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: January 31, 2023, 05:07:04 pm »
Personally, I think Sampras and Becker would have 100% competed against the big 3 at Wimbledon, but have no more chance than Murray in the other Slams. Borg would definitely be competitive in at least France and probably US & Aus as well. Peak Borg against Nadal in France would be very interesting.

I think Agassi would have also had a very decent chance (better than Murray maybe) at both US and Aus, and a similar chance at Wimbledon.