Author Topic: League Cup R3 - Man United v Liverpool - Wed 25/9 - 19.45  (Read 85927 times)

Offline Gaz123456

• Legacy Fan
  • 2005 - The best and worst year of my life
    • Elite Financial Planning Consultants
Re: C1Cup R3 - Man United v Liverpool - Wed 25/9 - 19.45
« Reply #320 on: September 22, 2013, 06:26:55 pm »
I can see Suarez starting from the bench.......... just so he can get the cheers from the crowd when he comes on.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #321 on: September 22, 2013, 06:27:24 pm »
Two bald men fighting over a comb...
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #322 on: September 22, 2013, 06:30:19 pm »
One of the reasons man utd were so successful under whiskey nose was that they would always go for the win in home games, even if it meant finishing a game with 5 strikers. They won more points from winning late and risking losing than routinely drawing by going safe. I would like to see us be abit more adventurous this season as we've had so many games in the last few years drawn when we could have gone for them. one win and one loss count more than two draws after all

Offline liverpooldas

• Kemlynite
  • Make us dream
« Reply #323 on: September 22, 2013, 06:43:24 pm »
I would like to see this:
                                            Mignolet
                           Ilori                             Sakho       
Kelly                                                                         Enrique
                                            Lucas

Allen                     Alberto

Ibe                                                                Moses
                                      Suarez

I feel Aspas and especially sterling have been not been effective when they have had their chance. I would like to see Ibe get his chance. Gerrard and sturridge should be on the bench.
JFT96

Offline Liverbird27

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #324 on: September 22, 2013, 06:44:06 pm »
MIGNOLET
KELLY--TOURE--SAKHO--ENRIQUE
ALLEN---HENDERSON
STERLING--ALBERTO--MOSES
SUAREZ

SUBS: Jones, Skrtel, Wisdom, Lucas, Gerrard, Aspas, Sturridge

Lucas/Gerrard/Sturridge need a break!
....But can be good impact subs. It's an opportunity to try a couple of things out.

Offline Liamski-la

• Beehive Hairdo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverbird upon my chest
« Reply #325 on: September 22, 2013, 06:47:33 pm »
To be honest. I'd rather Ibe get a chance if we had to choose from him and Sterling.

Raheem needs to go away and do something different. Don't exactly know what but he is immensely wasteful and needs to try and get an idea of what his end result will be other than being sat on his arse watching the defender run away with the ball.
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but sometimes I abuse the privilege

Offline LFCDynamic

• Legacy Fan
  • To support a team in bad times shows character!
    • LFCDynamic - I Have a Question
« Reply #326 on: September 22, 2013, 06:48:46 pm »
I think this will be an evenly contested game. Both teams will be looking to come back form their respective set-backs. Manchester United more so than us considering how badly they god beaten.

Fingers crossed Persie isn't available to face us. But, Suarez is back which is obviously a big boost. They should be a bit more tired than us having played today.

Hope all is well come wednesday  :)
To support a team in success is easy. But, to support a team even during bad times shows real character.

Offline steveeastend

• Learnt to play them drums
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #327 on: September 22, 2013, 06:49:29 pm »
Suarez has to start, we need a fighter who isn´t shite scared and leads by example.
One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

Offline LFCDynamic

• Legacy Fan
  • To support a team in bad times shows character!
    • LFCDynamic - I Have a Question
« Reply #328 on: September 22, 2013, 06:51:38 pm »
Suarez has to start, we need a fighter who isn´t shite scared and leads by example.

You can say that again. But, also think we should stick with Gerrard for this one. Rest him in the weekend.
To support a team in success is easy. But, to support a team even during bad times shows real character.

Offline Liamski-la

• Beehive Hairdo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverbird upon my chest
« Reply #329 on: September 22, 2013, 07:08:54 pm »
Gerrard would turn in a performance with 2 broken legs against United.

Its ridiculous to suggest you'd do anything other than play him.
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but sometimes I abuse the privilege

Offline Haggis36

• purveyor of better gifs than trendisnotdestiny
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #330 on: September 22, 2013, 07:15:31 pm »
Mignolet
Kelly (or Flanagan) -- Toure -- Sakho -- Enrique
Allen -- Henderson
? -- Alberto -- Moses
Suarez

Would be my line up. The CB at FB experiment needs to end (and that includes Wisdom), and if Kelly isn't fit then for the love of God play Flanagan, or McLaughlin or even Sterling. Having CBs play there really restricts our game. I'd maybe be inclined to give Toure a rest since he's coming back from injury, and I'd love to see Ilori get a game alongside Sakho but I don't see it happening. With the injury concerns re Agger I think Sakho is nailed on to start, and the sooner we can get him up to speed the better. I think Skrtel will probably play alongside Sakho, which is fine when defending deep, but I'm not sure they particularly complement each other as a pairing and it would be a concern between Sakho wanting to push high and step out and Skrtel wanting to play a deep defensive line.

I'm desperate to see a midfield three of Allen, Henderson and Alberto as I think it'd be boss with them all interchanging and pressing like mad men. They're all mobile enough to get up and down and to track back and cover when required. In the increasingly likely event Allen isn't fit I'd reluctantly replace him with Lucas, but I really think the lad needs a rest. Gerrard on the bench, though ideally I'd have him nowhere near this one - he can play one of this or Sunderland, not both. Alberto needs to be given a chance, otherwise there was literally no point in spending Coutinho-like money on a player who won't even get cup games while we moan about depth. I think his composure and ability to retain the ball will actually pay dividends for us; he manages to create time and space for himself better than any of our other midfielders.

Ideally Suarez would start on the bench but considering Aspas' form and how patently unfit Sturridge is I think he has to start. Moses is still young/fit enough to start on the flank, and the extra game(s) will help get him up to speed quicker hopefully. The other wide forward is a bit of a question mark because I don't think anyone has really done enough to warrant a guaranteed start. Aspas has been wank when played wide or as an AM and Sterling hasn't been much better this season. I'd actually like to see Ibe maybe get a go - he's much stronger on the ball than the other two and won't be pushed around as easily.

The worst possible outcome would be extra-time as I really don't think we have the players or fitness to cope with it. If we play the same side we played against Southampton we'll get absolutely pasted. If we have the courage to make some changes, I can see us nicking something.

Offline phonic

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #331 on: September 22, 2013, 07:36:43 pm »
I don't think this is the game to be resting Gerrard at all. Even though it's the cup, beating this lot will be a major boost, especially if Suarez scores. I'd give our best team an hour and make changes from that. Start Suarez, Gerrard and Sturridge, more than anything it'll give them time back playing together again.

After today they're going to be shit scared to lose imo. Moyes knows he needs to win, get at them early, press them and force them into mistakes and they're there for the taking.

Offline steveeastend

• Learnt to play them drums
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #332 on: September 22, 2013, 07:41:59 pm »
I don't think this is the game to be resting Gerrard at all.

Actually I think it´s the perfect opportunity.
One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

Offline schumi_pete

• Main Stander
« Reply #333 on: September 22, 2013, 07:50:30 pm »
City showed today exactly how to get at United even with that thug playing in the middle for them now.

Carrick hasn't been as good as he was last season which is a big positive for us. If we win the midfield battle in this one, we'll win the game. But our midfield is the one area that gives me cardiac arrest every time I think about it.

Offline Always_A_Red

• Legacy Fan
  • The reds are coming up the hill boys
« Reply #334 on: September 22, 2013, 07:57:23 pm »
Am I reading this right? We are now so good that we can afford to go to Old Trafford and play a 2nd team? C1Cup or not, we play our strongest starting 11 possible for this game. If it was Reading or Stoke or Hull or Swansea then fine, but not UTD, no way. There is absolutely no chance Brendan will rest Gerrard for this. I'll be as gobsmacked as I was when I read he was starting with 4 CB's if he does!

I haven't paid close to £50 for us to turn up and play a bunch of kids. I want us to beat them and trust me when I say that after today, they will do everything to beat us.

Everyone who's calling for a 2nd team would probably be on here at full time after a defeat slagging everything and anything off so lets go there and batter them like city did today and worry about Sunderland next week. 

Come on redmen!
We’ll still finish in top four - and they won’t. You can quote me on this in May.

Offline Tomo!

• Shit post editor! Will be giving his wife one.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #335 on: September 22, 2013, 08:01:56 pm »
Rooney is key for United, he's by far there most creative player and today Kompany didn't give him an inch.
Need something similar on Wednesday from one of ours on Wednesday
Google messi topless on holiday. Now look at david silva, villa, iniesta, xavi, they have the upper bodies of little boys.

Offline Haggis36

• purveyor of better gifs than trendisnotdestiny
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #336 on: September 22, 2013, 08:04:10 pm »
Am I reading this right? We are now so good that we can afford to go to Old Trafford and play a 2nd team? C1Cup or not, we play our strongest starting 11 possible for this game. If it was Reading or Stoke or Hull or Swansea then fine, but not UTD, no way. There is absolutely no chance Brendan will rest Gerrard for this. I'll be as gobsmacked as I was when I read he was starting with 4 CB's if he does!

In fairness, there is a big difference between resting a player because we feel we can and resting a player because they desperately need it. Gerrard has looked utterly fucked in our last two matches with more rest than he will get before Wednesday. Sure, adrenaline might carry him through a half, but equally it might not. Have him on the bench to come on if he needs to.

Offline schumi_pete

• Main Stander
« Reply #337 on: September 22, 2013, 08:07:26 pm »
Rooney is key for United, he's by far there most creative player and today Kompany didn't give him an inch.
Need something similar on Wednesday from one of ours on Wednesday

Sakho will let Rooney know he's there..just like he did Osvaldo ;)

Offline redforlife

• For future reference an equals sign looks like this: =
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We Are Liverpool
« Reply #338 on: September 22, 2013, 08:13:17 pm »
Considering Rodgers saw fit to start Gerrard at home to Notts County, no way is he not starting this one
Didi Hamann

In the corridors and changing rooms of Anfield I met many people - the great, the talented, the legendary.  I know that I only met one genius.  He was a small, smiling man with a neatly clipped beard.  His name was Rafael Benitez.

Offline dmorgan

• Started well, turned out a bit meh.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Going, Going....gone.
« Reply #339 on: September 22, 2013, 08:17:59 pm »
Expecting a backlash from them but if RVP is still not fit, we should fancy our chances with Luis coming back.

Ideally I would start

Mignolet

Kelly-   Toure-   Sakho-     Enrique

Gerrard-             Henderson

Suarez-        Alberto-       Moses

Sturridge

Offline El Ninos Black Eye

• Legacy Fan
  • What we do in life, echoes in eternity!
« Reply #340 on: September 22, 2013, 08:24:44 pm »
Expecting a backlash from them but if RVP is still not fit, we should fancy our chances with Luis coming back.

I'm expecting a backlash from us to
"I'm being watched by the Secret Police and wondering when they’re going to come and take me away"

Offline careca

• Kopite
  • "Shanks - Considered wisdom"
« Reply #341 on: September 22, 2013, 09:05:48 pm »
Would favour Luis being on from the start, he can then get more true match minutes under his belt, preparing himself for the important games in the premiership.
Keeping the faith

Offline princeoftherocks

• Legacy Fan
  • black sheep scouse
« Reply #342 on: September 22, 2013, 09:10:47 pm »
They've got a point to prove- any chance Van persie will be alright for this one?  Hope Brendan can reclaim some positives from that massive hiding we had yesterday.  Excited about this one. 

Suarez to get sent off, or wins the game by himself. hat-trick. 
dios esta buena

Offline Tony19:6

• Begets John 3:16
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born and Bred
« Reply #343 on: September 22, 2013, 09:11:48 pm »
MIGNOLET
ALLEN---HENDERSON
STERLING--ALBERTO--MOSES
SUAREZ

....But can be good impact subs. It's an opportunity to try a couple of things out.
Not a bad starting XI that.
A Great man once said...
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass.
It is terribly simple."

http://twitter.com/Tony19_6

Offline MakeUsDream2005

• Kopite
  • We are Liverpool tra la la la la!
« Reply #344 on: September 22, 2013, 09:12:17 pm »
Anyone taking flags or banners to this one?
7,000 of us will make a scary amount of noise and show the prawn sandwich brigade what an atmosphere is.
Would be ace if we had our flags there too

Offline Pinky_Bieber

• shit fan whose IQ is unlikely to be exceeding 59
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #345 on: September 22, 2013, 09:15:59 pm »
MIGNOLET
ALLEN---HENDERSON
STERLING--ALBERTO--MOSES
SUAREZ

i like that
YNWA

Offline Ski

• daddle. Wouldn't recognise an idea, if it rang his doorbell and got invited in for dinner. He will survive.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #346 on: September 22, 2013, 09:18:31 pm »
Hope we put a strong starting eleven and bench for this one even if they make wholesale changes.

Will be difficult to read until the game actually kicks off whether they'll be the wounded animal to be very wary of or the down in the mouth still from today's spanking but either way I'd like to see us go at them fom the off. After all, we need to pick ourselves up too and what better way?
Has Steven Gerrard scored a goal even more important than the one he got against Olympiakos - Is this the start of something BIG?

Offline Kali Yuga

• Anny Roader
« Reply #347 on: September 22, 2013, 09:22:56 pm »
If Enrique is having issues with his knee and needs managing, then it isn't ideal to play him again, but I don't know what other option we have. Also, one of Lucas/Gerrard has to sit this one out, for me. Both look gassed out. Wouldn't mind Sturridge sitting it out too, to be honest. He's constantly trying to catch up with himself. How do we get him injury free and match fit?

I want to see Allen. And Alberto. And one of Ilori and Kelly.
You can cage an animal, but you'll never take away the rage.

Offline Kopite B205

• Loves Siemen. And Judge Judy. But not at the same time.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In my life, we've won them all.
« Reply #348 on: September 22, 2013, 09:30:08 pm »
Looking forward to this one! My first Liverpool United game at OT since that last minute cup defeat years ago. Suarez must start, and I would like to see us go in with a full strength 11.
Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool.

Offline walshys_mullet

• Aka walshys_mullet. Thinks manager is a coward. Only posts in match threads every other week due to rotation. We suspect this is John Aldridge or Andy Gray posting under a pseudonym.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #349 on: September 22, 2013, 09:34:10 pm »
Play Ilori, Alberto, Kelly and give anyone else like Ibe and Sterling a run out.

I dont give a rats if we lose, but those boys need experience under their belts and id prefer it in the cup. Give Gerrard the night off too, and sturridge.
"If you're in the penalty area and don't know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we'll discuss the options later."

The Great 'Should have been Sir' Bob Paisley

Online robertobaggio37

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • But we will conquer the ball, each fucking time.
« Reply #350 on: September 22, 2013, 09:46:31 pm »
Mignolet; Ilori, Toure, Sakho, Enrique; Allen (if fit), Hendo, Gerrard; Moses, Suarez, Ibe
The biggest problem anywhere in the world is that people's perceptions of reality are filtered through the screening mesh of what they want, and do not want, to be true.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #351 on: September 22, 2013, 09:50:52 pm »
I'm not arsed if Rodgers picks himself, as long as we win I'm happy.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #352 on: September 22, 2013, 09:56:20 pm »
Doubt we'll see Illori. Think both sides will go in pretty strong, with maybe 2 or 3 swaps from the bench/squad coming in.

I'd like to see Aspas up front, in his proper position. Suarez Alberto and Moses behind. Hopefully Allen will be fit, but if not, Gerrard and Henderson. Toure and Sakho in the middle, Enrique on the left and one of Kelly or Wisdom on the right. Mignolet in goal obviously.

Offline TheGOAT

• Gruff handbagger
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #353 on: September 22, 2013, 09:59:21 pm »
Will be interesting to see what we do with Sturridge, I'm not sure he'd even have been on the pitch if we had other options which makes his stats this season all the more remarkable, he looks half fit if that!

Offline duelcandle

• Kemlynite
  • Adam & Callum forever
« Reply #354 on: September 22, 2013, 09:59:39 pm »
What do we do here then? Send out a second string with Suarez or First team with Suarez on the bench. If it was me I would play the second string.

Utd are under pressure and the last thing they need is a tough game against a nothing to lose starting line up which includes an out and out match winner in Suarez.

Middle Linner

Offline johnny74

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #355 on: September 22, 2013, 10:13:56 pm »
You've got to put the best 11 out. We need the best possible performance as an antidote to the weekend. Also, if they don't play a full strength side and we knock them out it will further take a chunk out of their confidence.

I would like to see a packed midfield. We don't have too much quality in the middle at the moment, a tired-looking pair of Gerrard and Lucas, a "competent" Henderson and an unconvincing Allen. Thankfully, neither do they which is why I think putting bodies in the middle will work well. And presumably we have to deal with the lumbering, bruising idiot Fellaini. If we can manage to tie his shoelaces together before kick off then he shouldn't be too much threat.

Offline NeilR

• Anny Roader
« Reply #356 on: September 22, 2013, 10:14:24 pm »
I don't think this is the game to be resting Gerrard at all. Even though it's the cup, beating this lot will be a major boost, especially if Suarez scores. I'd give our best team an hour and make changes from that. Start Suarez, Gerrard and Sturridge, more than anything it'll give them time back playing together again.

After today they're going to be shit scared to lose imo. Moyes knows he needs to win, get at them early, press them and force them into mistakes and they're there for the taking.

There is zero chance of Gerard being rested for this or him wanting to be rested even if its mentioned.

Offline MakeUsDream2005

• Kopite
  • We are Liverpool tra la la la la!
« Reply #357 on: September 22, 2013, 10:18:07 pm »
You've got to put the best 11 out. We need the best possible performance as an antidote to the weekend. Also, if they don't play a full strength side and we knock them out it will further take a chunk out of their confidence.

I would like to see a packed midfield. We don't have too much quality in the middle at the moment, a tired-looking pair of Gerrard and Lucas, a "competent" Henderson and an unconvincing Allen. Thankfully, neither do they which is why I think putting bodies in the middle will work well. And presumably we have to deal with the lumbering, bruising idiot Fellaini. If we can manage to tie his shoelaces together before kick off then he shouldn't be too much threat.
Fellaini is cup-tied, mate.

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #358 on: September 22, 2013, 10:19:56 pm »
First 11, Suarez instead of Sturridge though. We can let Sturridge try and get back to 100% now we have Luis back! Cannot wait to see him play again.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline naka

• Lennart Skoglund Ultra
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #359 on: September 22, 2013, 10:20:32 pm »
As long as he doesn't play 4 centre halfs we have a chance
Really want to see Gerard and sturridge rested
Would like aspas in the middle and raheem and Ibe either side