Author Topic: New York... have you been?  (Read 234478 times)

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
Re: New York... have you been?
« Reply #2000 on: August 25, 2023, 08:04:33 am »
We’re going the first week of December this year.

I want to do a match of some sort - my preference was NFL but none of the Giants, Jets or Bills are playing at home that weekend. I’d love to have seen the Yankees but it’s off season at that time so I guess it’s Basketball or Hockey.

We’re having to fly from Manchester to Heathrow, then on to JFK. Got the flights at a reasonable price though, around £600.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #2001 on: August 26, 2023, 04:49:33 pm »
When are you going?

We got tickets to see the Knicks at MSG in 2021, bought them a month before the game on SeatGeek and $85 for 2 - that included all the fees too. Think the tickets themselves were $27 each.

That seems really reasonable.

I find sport tickets here ridiculous. Charlotte is a new team in the MLS. Nose bleed tickets are $46 each, tickets near the half way line are up to $350.

The same same half way line tickets for the NFL are about $2,000 each. It's insane.

Offline Musketeer Gripweed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2002 on: September 17, 2023, 08:22:04 pm »
The rest of the family didn't want to take any chances, so that's me bought tickets for Rangers v Red Wings on 7th November, reservations for Carmines on the 8th and I think I'll not be feeling well on the 9th and might have to stay in my room in the afternoon. I'll have to see what is on the TV that day I think.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2003 on: September 17, 2023, 08:31:39 pm »
The rest of the family didn't want to take any chances, so that's me bought tickets for Rangers v Red Wings on 7th November, reservations for Carmines on the 8th and I think I'll not be feeling well on the 9th and might have to stay in my room in the afternoon. I'll have to see what is on the TV that day I think.

Lots and lots of adverts would be my guess.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2004 on: September 17, 2023, 08:35:31 pm »
Lots and lots of adverts would be my guess.

Toulouse game. ;)

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2005 on: September 17, 2023, 08:39:20 pm »
Toulouse game. ;)

:duh

With lot and lots of adverts (he persists)  ;D
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2006 on: September 17, 2023, 08:45:25 pm »

:duh

With lot and lots of adverts (he persists)  ;D

To be honest, I'll be gutted if the strike isn't over by the time I go. I always love sitting drinking a couple of beers watching Stephen Colbert and Seth Myers in my room and waking up at about 3am. It's like a tradition now. ;D

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2007 on: September 18, 2023, 02:35:02 am »
Love NYC. It's one of the few cities in the world that I'd gladly move to. Fortunately, I'm now in a career where it's not so far-fetched although my girlfriend is a country-girl, and might feel otherwise.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • June 20, 2009. Still no justice for Neda
« Reply #2008 on: September 18, 2023, 06:35:24 pm »
24/7 here last night.

Doing well, sends regards.
Kill the humourless

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #2009 on: September 18, 2023, 06:38:32 pm »
As someone who lives close enough to NYC to visit frequently, I’ve long come to the conclusion it’s a far better a place to visit very occasionally!

I go there very rarely these days.

Offline bryanod

• Probably in Boyzone with a name like that...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RPLP Champion 2012/2013 & 2013/2014 Double Winner
« Reply #2010 on: September 19, 2023, 01:56:54 pm »
Back again over thanksgiving, might skip the parade though....
Men of lofty genius when they are doing the least work are most active

- Leonardo Da Vinci

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • June 20, 2009. Still no justice for Neda
« Reply #2011 on: September 20, 2023, 02:50:03 pm »
THE WORLD’S UNFAIR
September 15-October 15, 2023

Long Island City, Queens
Between 23rd St and 45th Ave

Open Hours:
Thursday-Saturday 12:00 – 8:00 PM
Sundays 10:00 – 6:00 PM

Across an immersive spectacle of animatronics, large-scale sculptures, video installations, and powwow grounds, The World’s UnFair invites you to play a part in a decolonized future. Brought to you by New Red Order (NRO), a public secret society of informants and collaborators dedicated to rechannelling desires for indigeneity towards the expansion of Indigenous futures, The World’s UnFair offers a practical solution to growing calls for the return of Indigenous land: Give It Back.

The Future is Here
NRO’s largest public project to date takes place in an empty lot in Long Island City, Queens. A meaningful location for the fair-cum-encampment, as the borough hosted both the 1939 and 1964 New York World’s Fairs. NRO reappropriates the format of these past international exhibitions or expos, where Indigenous people were often dehumanized or romanticized in exhibits used to dispossess them of their lands and legitimize colonial plunder. At The World’s UnFair, settlers are invited to reverse these nation building models and become accomplices in the process of decolonization—a new world order that NRO describes as “liberatory pathways of border-less, property-less, nation-less imaginings.” While it has taken over 500 years to colonize Turtle Island, and therefore may take 500 more to decolonize it, The World’s UnFair reminds us that we are living in the future, today!

Meet Your Guides
At the fair’s center sits Dexter and Sinister (2023), an animatronic talking tree and giant beaver engaging in a philosophical and occasionally humorous dialogue about land and the origins of private property. Here, the tree calls on the anthropomorphized “wise old tree” representative of nature archetype. The beaver is the animal, besides humans, that perhaps most profoundly alters its environment, and which early settlers saw as a means to capital and property, including New York’s pioneer fur trade dealer turned early real estate mogul John Jay Astor. As a result, beavers were nearly hunted to extinction, yet still hold a prominent place on the New York City Seal.

In contrast, in Anishinaabe culture, beavers represent wisdom, because they are world builders. Beaver dams alter the lived environment in a way that creates new ecosystems and worlds for hundreds of different species, a behavior NRO wants to model for others in The Worlds UnFair.

The Fairground
Upon entry, visitors encounter the 5-channel video installation Give It Back (2023), introducing the “Give It Backers,” a group of elected officials, non-profit leaders, foundation representatives, and individual settlers who have voluntarily given land back to Indigenous people and groups through multiple pathways—a trend with incredible potential to return land as it was taken over time, parcel by parcel. Across the fair, hundreds of tribal flags establish the present-day sovereign Indigenous presence within the borders of the so-called United States.

From multimedia installations and interactive exhibits to a line-up of experimental programs, The World’s UnFair exposes the ultimate public secret—hidden in plain sight across public seals, monuments, mascots, city, town and street names—the United States is an ongoing occupation of stolen Indigenous land. Through The World’s UnFair, NRO also presents the remedy to this disastrous reality: “In a time where the future appears bleak or non-existent, giving it back offers a bright path forward, a way for us to survive an apocalypse together. The landmass here is enormous. And its ecological capacity to sustain life is immense if we care for these resources correctly. You can have a place. But first things first: Give it Back.”

A Call to Action
Ultimately, The World’s UnFair moves beyond the symbolic: it serves as a call to action to rematriate land in so-called New York City.

Weaving between public assembly, academic symposium, experimental music performances, and film screenings, The World’s UnFair will feature the first ever Give It Back Gathering, bringing settlers who have gone through the process of land return in conversation with each other alongside a breadth of artists and thinkers. New York City is home to the largest urban Indigenous population in what is currently referred to as the United States. Noticeably absent are its original stewards, the Lenape, who were forcibly relocated several times with diasporic communities located mostly in Oklahoma, New Jersey, Wisconsin, and Ontario, Canada, today. The festival platforms the “right of return” for the Lenape diaspora in international solidarity with the right of all forcibly displaced people to return to their ancestral lands.

PROJECT SUPPORT
Lead project support for The World’s UnFair is provided by The Andy Warhol Foundation, The Henry Luce Foundation, Native Arts and Cultures Foundation, The Teiger Foundation, Arts, Equity, & Education Fund, Becky Gochman, and an Anonymous Donor.

We are also grateful for the support of the New York State Council on the Arts (NYSCA) with the support of Governor Kathy Hochul and the New York State Legislature; and public funds from the New York City Department of Cultural Affairs (DCA) in partnership with the City Council and Mayor Eric Adams.

https://creativetime.org/new-red-order-worlds-unfair/

MAGA: Give Texas back to Mexico.
Give Florida back to the Seminoles.
Citizenship by DNA (© jambutty 2011)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2023, 02:56:58 pm by jambutty »
Kill the humourless

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2012 on: September 27, 2023, 12:58:38 pm »

To be honest, I'll be gutted if the strike isn't over by the time I go. I always love sitting drinking a couple of beers watching Stephen Colbert and Seth Myers in my room and waking up at about 3am. It's like a tradition now. ;D

Strike over. Time to get Jimmy Fallon out of cold storage.