Poll

How do we think the UK Will do - Assuming Brexit happens (Hard or Soft..)

Things will be brilliant from the word go and will get better every week!
Things will start off a bit dodgy, but over time things gradually improve and get better
Things will start off dodgy and remain that way for the forseeable future
Things will start off dodgy and then decline slightly with things getting a bit worse
Complete clusterfuck from start to finish

Author Topic: Brexit - doesn't really seem to be a very good idea does it? (*)  (Read 870605 times)

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
Re: Brexit - What would those in power get out of it? The Fallout Thread..
« Reply #2240 on: January 18, 2017, 12:27:58 pm »
Its a bit like if my auntie had balls etc. People had the chance to vote and the result was the result. Nothing can be done about it. What happened to the people who didn't vote? 60+ million people live in the UK, 46 million people on the register and 33 million voted.

It is just like the Trump situation. I was listening to someone the other day talking about over 100k people didn't vote this time in a certain area who voted in the last election. An African American woman said she didn't vote for Hillary because she is a woman. You get the government you deserve.

But why can nothing be done about it? The referendum result based on that question is not a mandate for May's plan. Just because Cameron was a lazy arsehole who screwed up the question, and failed to offer any clarity as to what Leave would mean. The public has not given any informed consent. The referendum result is not carte blanche to a Tory Government elected on a Remain manifesto.

The Tories need to be constantly challenged. The British public have not given a mandate for this cause of action. 

Offline Banquo's Ghost

• Macbeth's on repeat. To boldly split infinitives that lesser men would dare. To.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2241 on: January 18, 2017, 12:28:15 pm »
Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the Foreign Secretary, Britain's chief diplomat, laying the ground for these complex negotiations.

The Foreign Secretary appeared to liken French president Francois Hollande to a Second World War German general, in the fallout from Theresa May’s plan for leaving the EU.

Speaking in India, Mr Johnson said: “If Mr Hollande wants to administer punishment beatings to anybody who seeks to escape [the EU], in the manner of some world war two movie, I don’t think that is the way forward, and it’s not in the interests of our friends and partners.

Silver-tongued charmer. It's a good job the French didn't suffer any such things in the past.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/boris-johnson-french-president-francois-hollande-nazi-brexit-eu-a7532981.html
Be humble, for you are made of earth. Be noble, for you are made of stars.

Offline oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2242 on: January 18, 2017, 12:30:46 pm »
Its a bit like if my auntie had balls etc. People had the chance to vote and the result was the result. Nothing can be done about it. What happened to the people who didn't vote? 60+ million people live in the UK, 46 million people on the register and 33 million voted.

It is just like the Trump situation. I was listening to someone the other day talking about over 100k people didn't vote this time in a certain area who voted in the last election. An African American woman said she didn't vote for Hillary because she is a woman. You get the government you deserve.
It's nothing like the Trump situation, millions may not want Trump as president but the vote was clear, people knew exactly what they were voting on, Clinton or Trump. people didn't vote Trump and get Ted Cruz and get told you voted for a republican candidate and that's what you've got.
The majority of voters did not vote for this Brexit, that is a fact. so the Torys have no right to impose it on the country.
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #2243 on: January 18, 2017, 12:33:17 pm »

Choosing between Trump and Clinton is very different from choosing between Brexit and Remain. No-one could be in any doubt at all as to exactly what they were going to get when they voted for either Trump or Clinton (or Remain, for that matter).
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2244 on: January 18, 2017, 12:35:57 pm »

I don't get that. The whole point of electing a government is that you can change it. Otherwise we could just go back to accepting the divine authority of a born monarch.

Additionally, the referendum was advisory. There is nothing stopping those in power from saying. 'Thanks, we listened to your opinion,  but we are not going to implement it.'

Someone should have the balls to say that Brexit is a shite idea and is not going to happen.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline Cliff Bastin

• Big Exeter fan, pretending to be a gooner, pretending...yawn
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2245 on: January 18, 2017, 01:00:17 pm »
I don't get that. The whole point of electing a government is that you can change it. Otherwise we could just go back to accepting the divine authority of a born monarch.

Additionally, the referendum was advisory. There is nothing stopping those in power from saying. 'Thanks, we listened to your opinion,  but we are not going to implement it.'

Someone should have the balls to say that Brexit is a shite idea and is not going to happen.

But it is going to happen though. When I said you get the government you deserve, I also include the referendum result. 44+ million registered voters and only 33 million people voted. Something went seriously wrong or those people just weren't taking the referendum serious enough. If those people had voted and I presume a great many of them would have voted remain, this wouldn't be happening.

As it is a serious issue for the Labour party and those who vote Labour, why didn't they get rid of a Pro Brexit leader and get in a Pro remain leader to challenge the Tories on the issue? Why did the Labour membership stick with someone who has no intention of challenging Brexit itself. Owen Smith who challenged him said he would implement another referendum if he was leader and Labour formed the next government.

It is too little too late now. Corbyn is sticking around it seems, the Tories have a big enough majority and Labour MPs don't seem united enough on the issue.

Offline Rastas

• Kemlynite
« Reply #2246 on: January 18, 2017, 01:39:49 pm »
Is the term bed-wetters appropriate for most in this thread or are we really on the verge of the worst thing happening in the history of mankind.

Think some people need to take a step back and go for a walk, picnic or something. It's the stress that kills you.

Offline Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #2247 on: January 18, 2017, 01:46:01 pm »
Is the term bed-wetters appropriate for most in this thread or are we really on the verge of the worst thing happening in the history of mankind.

Think some people need to take a step back and go for a walk, picnic or something. It's the stress that kills you.

This is probably the most important issue to affect the UK in my lifetime.  It is going to be disastrous.

In the original campaign, the Leave faction, lied to the voting public.  The Tories are now going off on their own tangent, totally ignoring what is right for the country, and indeed, what many leavers voted for.  Norway  was constantly mentioned during the campaign, by the Leave campaigners.  So what remit does May have to do what she is now proposing?  What?

This issue has to potential to damage the UK for many years to come, if not decades.
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline Thush

• Spawwow, Tit. Anal Chat is "Equidistant between chit-chat and analysis"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • It's pronounced "Toosh"
« Reply #2248 on: January 18, 2017, 01:46:14 pm »

They don't even need to say that they are not going to implement it, only that they investigated it and couldn't find a way of exiting in a way that would make the nation better.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2249 on: January 18, 2017, 01:50:19 pm »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-38658998

Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson has warned EU leaders not to give the UK "punishment beatings" for Brexit "in the manner of some World War Two movie".

The foreign secretary said penalising "escape" was "not in the interests of our friends and our partners".

:duh :duh

Offline Libertine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing behind me, everything ahead of me
« Reply #2250 on: January 18, 2017, 01:57:37 pm »
@WYeates
On #r4today David Davis said the civil service had coped with WW2 so could cope with #Brexit. I found this graph.

https://twitter.com/WYeates/status/821687098629570564

Offline Commie Bobbie

• Just woke up......Member of the Committee for State Security. More Folkestone Fashionista than Sandon Sandanista......
  • Legacy Fan
  • #WTRWWAW
« Reply #2251 on: January 18, 2017, 02:11:32 pm »
No ones has died because of Brexit, a lot of people died in Iraq. But in all honesty it's apples and oranges at best though.

Someone got murdered on the way to this shitpoint - and the way things are going I'd say it's evens what direction the country goes.

History teaches that insular behaviour never has a happy ending.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 02:13:42 pm by Commie Bobbie »
Twitter: @atypicalbob

DON'T BUY THE S*N

MacKenzie Is Still A Fucking c*nt

Offline oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2252 on: January 18, 2017, 02:14:22 pm »

Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson has warned EU leaders not to give the UK "punishment beatings" for Brexit "in the manner of some World War Two movie".

The foreign secretary said penalising "escape" was "not in the interests of our friends and our partners".

WW1 seems more appropriate.
Torys acting like WW1 generals screaming over the top, cowards. over the top

How can the EU penalize us, the voters who voted to leave the SM were told when we leave the EU we will be far better off as we can make all those fantastic deals straight away. I take that to mean theres nothing the EU can do to stop us having a successful Brexit.
He is admitting we are throwing ourselves at the mercy of the EU. we heard nothing about this before the referendum did we. he was talking about how scared the EU would be to impose tariffs on our French knickers and Gateau. lying bas....
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #2253 on: January 18, 2017, 02:15:30 pm »

Fuck me, how is this clown even allowed to walk the streets never mind hold a position in government?

Maybe we could reform the wartime alliance with the Americans and Russians too as they seem to be pretty much on the same side these days.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline nick_8589

• Kopite
« Reply #2254 on: January 18, 2017, 02:19:41 pm »

I isolation it's bad  but combine brexit with a trump presidency and possibly la penn taking power or just more influence in France and everything that putin is up to plus the Middle East being the powder keg that it is, you're looking at all the ingredients for something catastrophic, that's not factoring China getting more and more pissed off with trump

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2255 on: January 18, 2017, 02:23:19 pm »

Well versed on history are you? 

Are you familiar with any EU legislation and the benefits they have brought to the UK?

Nationalism is never a good thing, and looking at the bigger picture, with everything else happening right now, it could be seriously seriously bad!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 02:25:38 pm by Red-Soldier »

Offline oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2256 on: January 18, 2017, 02:29:13 pm »

Yeah, we heard that talk when Maggie smashed the unions and put millions on the dole, now we have low pay and no pensions. you fight to protect your interests.
               Emily Maitlis

Offline west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2257 on: January 18, 2017, 02:30:51 pm »

I would have to agree. There is a ridiculous level of hyperbole going on in this thread.
Thinking is overrated.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #2258 on: January 18, 2017, 02:33:27 pm »
History teaches that insular behaviour never has a happy ending.

One quote that sums up the whole stupidity of Brexit & Trump for me.

Isolationism has never ever lead to good outcomes....
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Libertine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2259 on: January 18, 2017, 02:36:11 pm »
The Flight of the Bankers begins....

https://twitter.com/Brexit/status/821660014150565889

Offline west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2260 on: January 18, 2017, 02:38:38 pm »
One quote that sums up the whole stupidity of Brexit & Trump for me.

Isolationism has never ever lead to good outcomes....

Really depends what you mean by Isolationism, as in the context of Brexit its a pretty unique case.
Thinking is overrated.

Offline west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2261 on: January 18, 2017, 02:39:28 pm »

That must have been the small silver lining I was looking for!
Thinking is overrated.

Offline TravisBickle

• KnowsVotersAreFickle!
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK n' Roll
« Reply #2262 on: January 18, 2017, 02:41:09 pm »
As an aside, I hope all those all knowing business leaders who condemned Ed Miliband for being "anti-business" are suitably excited for Article 50 being triggered. Maybe they could write another cute little letter to The Telegraph to tell us how great the Tories are for business?

The arrogance is mind blowing.
"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea and he conquered the bloody world! And that's what I wanted; for Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline Cliff Bastin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2263 on: January 18, 2017, 02:43:04 pm »
I would have to agree. There is a ridiculous level of hyperbole going on in this thread.
People will eventually get used to it. That is what happens in life, people adapt and it becomes the norm.

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #2264 on: January 18, 2017, 03:00:13 pm »

But there's no way the current government is going to do that because a large part of the electorate would completely turn on them, and they care far more about winning elections and keeping power than actually doing what's best for the country.

Offline west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2265 on: January 18, 2017, 03:02:03 pm »
As an aside, I hope all those all knowing business leaders who condemned Ed Miliband for being "anti-business" are suitably excited for Article 50 being triggered. Maybe they could write another cute little letter to The Telegraph to tell us how great the Tories are for business?

The arrogance is mind blowing.

Further cuts to corporation tax will soften the blow I am sure.
Thinking is overrated.

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2266 on: January 18, 2017, 03:02:55 pm »
People will eventually get used to it. That is what happens in life, people adapt and it becomes the norm.

And it keeps going to the right, until we need to change it, only we can't because we've given up all our power due to getting used to it and adapting.

Brexit is very serious and very detrimental.
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline Crumble

• It's rhyming slang
  • Kopite
« Reply #2267 on: January 18, 2017, 04:02:51 pm »

Yes. All the investment banks will be moving their European headquarters. It remains to be seen how many staff will stay in the London offices.

Offline ShakaHislop

• Shocktrooper of the Vinny Cable Nasties
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2268 on: January 18, 2017, 04:15:57 pm »
This is a course that's occurred to me in my what-would-I-do reveries.  The downside is it would absolutely finish me in public life.  While that's a price I'd gladly pay, I'm a daydreaming nobody and she's a tory career politician who'd need to drag a cats-in-a-sack europhobe party along behind her.

What's the position with fixed-term parliaments btw?  Are we locked into this government until 2020 (i.e. after the two years)?  Well done Lib Dems if so, fucking masterstroke there.Oh man.  Every consensual mutual-benefit euro treaty negotiation I can remember has been reported here like it's a reënactment of Waterloo.  I cannot even imagine how this one's going to go.

If 2/3'rds of Parliament turn against May, then a general election is called straight away. Alternatively, if an ordinary majority pass a vote of no confidence, the Government has 14 days to save its skin before an election is called.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2011/14/section/2

Offline Cliff Bastin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2269 on: January 18, 2017, 04:28:19 pm »
And it keeps going to the right, until we need to change it, only we can't because we've given up all our power due to getting used to it and adapting.

Brexit is very serious and very detrimental.
It isn't a left or right issue if you have prominent left wing MPs in the Labour party supporting it. The political diagram has changed dramatically.

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2270 on: January 18, 2017, 04:30:25 pm »
It isn't a left or right issue if you have prominent left wing MPs in the Labour party supporting it. The political diagram has changed dramatically.

Brexit has given the right the mandate to go much further to the right and they will keep doing so.
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline Libertine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2271 on: January 18, 2017, 04:31:53 pm »

The EU has always been opposed by the far left and the far right. In every country.

Problem is the right have taken over the moderates and centrists in the Tory Party and Labour is MIA.

Offline Party Phil

• Boring Cunt that flies Air Bizarre
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Big in Japan
« Reply #2272 on: January 18, 2017, 04:46:13 pm »
Brexit is very serious and very mental.

Can't argue with that
If you're lying, I'll chop your head off.

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2273 on: January 18, 2017, 05:13:31 pm »
Yeah, you can get used to all sorts of shit.

People get used to living in war-torn countries, under tyrannic governments or in total poverty too. That doesn't mean that its in any way desirable.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2274 on: January 18, 2017, 05:40:24 pm »
http://www.thepoke.co.uk/2017/01/18/brexit-books/

Top 10 #Brexit children’s books – your complete guide

These are genius  :lmao

Offline Cliff Bastin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2275 on: January 18, 2017, 10:44:06 pm »
Yeah, you can get used to all sorts of shit.

People get used to living in war-torn countries, under tyrannic governments or in total poverty too. That doesn't mean that its in any way desirable.
False equivalency to be fair. The country will have no choice but to make it work as it is going to happen anyway. The only option is to make it work. Article 50 looks like being triggered in March and negotiations will then start. Once that happens, it is over as far as the UK remaining in the EU and the single market.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2276 on: January 18, 2017, 10:52:00 pm »
False equivalency to be fair. The country will have no choice but to make it work as it is going to happen anyway. The only option is to make it work. Article 50 looks like being triggered in March and negotiations will then start. Once that happens, it is over as far as the UK remaining in the EU and the single market.

Making it work is as patronising as when Leavers and Remainers say we need to unite. What does that even mean? I will continue to call Leavers a bunch of c*nts should i wish. Or i will continue to not give a shit and instead just live my life. Or ill just leave the country.

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2277 on: January 18, 2017, 10:57:01 pm »

Why is the only option to make it work? Nothing has happened yet. Just say no.

Offline Cliff Bastin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2278 on: January 18, 2017, 10:57:14 pm »
Making it work is as patronising as when Leavers and Remainers say we need to unite. What does that even mean? I will continue to call Leavers a bunch of c*nts should i wish. Or i will continue to not give a shit and instead just live my life. Or ill just leave the country.
Do what you want. Doesn't change anything to insult people who voted. You would be better insulting the people who didn't vote as that is what cost remain.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2279 on: January 18, 2017, 11:04:45 pm »
Do what you want. Doesn't change anything to insult people who voted. You would be better insulting the people who didn't vote as that is what cost remain.

Yeah. Insult the people who we dont know are racists rather than the ones we know who are.