Author Topic: Joël Matip (Job Joël André Matip)  (Read 525048 times)

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
    • Collaborative thoughts on Euro 2012
Re: Welcome to Liverpool, Joel Matip!
« Reply #840 on: December 11, 2016, 10:35:37 pm »
I think he's our one genuinely world-class player - he'd be an absolute shoe-in for any other side in the Prem, for sure, and can't be many, if any, other top sides he wouldn't start for either.
He is the cat who walks by himself, and all roads are alike to him.

Offline AaronSingh25

• Never Going to Grow Old. Dis-
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #841 on: December 11, 2016, 10:36:34 pm »
I think he's our one genuinely world-class player - he'd be an absolute shoe-in for any other side in the Prem, for sure, and can't be many, if any, other top sides he wouldn't start for either.

World class is a tad strong. But he is very good.

Online Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #842 on: December 11, 2016, 10:48:37 pm »

Not yet there are a handful of world class cbs in the world, none in this league.

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #843 on: December 11, 2016, 10:52:47 pm »
He's the best defender I've seen for Liverpool, that's for sure - though Hansen was before my time, admittedly.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #844 on: December 11, 2016, 10:54:26 pm »
He's the best defender I've seen for Liverpool, that's for sure - though Hansen was before my time, admittedly.

Dunno but that Hyypia was pretty good.

Offline plasterered

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a....
« Reply #845 on: December 11, 2016, 11:03:50 pm »

hes good but give him a couple of years mate. what did you think about the ball that went over him today that west ham scored from ? karius took the flack but it looked dodgy to me

Offline hesbighesred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #846 on: December 11, 2016, 11:08:31 pm »
hes good but give him a couple of years mate. what did you think about the ball that went over him today that west ham scored from ? karius took the flack but it looked dodgy to me
He was moving to cut out a long ball, like he did for just about every other long ball they played in the match - many of which he then put us on the front foot from. It then took a massive deflection off a Henderson header, I'm not sure there's anything he could have done, to be honest...other than be more of a back foot defender, which of course would remove what makes him so good in the first place. Don't think Karius was at fault for that one, either. That one was just pure bad luck, don't think anyone really did wrong...things like that happen in football.

Offline hesbighesred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #847 on: December 11, 2016, 11:10:18 pm »
Dunno but that Hyypia was pretty good.
He was, aye, but the only thing he was better at than Matip is heading, and that not by that much. Matip is miles ahead of him on the deck, more proactive and far faster too.

Offline na fir dearg

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #848 on: December 12, 2016, 01:16:02 am »
I did find myself wondering how he would look playing in Henderson's position at times today.

He always seems to be a step ahead of the play, shows fantastic anticipation
Same
Brilliant on the ball, he just sees the right pass, just to relieve the pressure, he makes the passes i wish Henderson would make

Pity we couldn't play him in front of the back 4 but is needed at centre half

[You may have an iPhone but you are still using the free version of Tapatalk and spamming us with that knowledge]

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #849 on: December 12, 2016, 01:38:43 am »
Like a boss yesterday! Totally in control and calm under pressure and in possession. This lad doesn't tackle much- he just gets the ball of you if you eventually manage to thwart his anticipation.

Just stepped into the light of the fires and coolly dispossessed Payet who looked like he'd be through on goal. No tackle, not even a bit of physical contact. Just raw boss-ness! "And just like that.. "phew!".. it was gone."
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 01:44:03 am by the_red_pill »
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline JG6

• Anny Roader
« Reply #850 on: December 12, 2016, 11:43:29 am »
Just oozes class doesn't he? Reads the game really well and he's very good on the ball too, now if we cold just find another like him...

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #851 on: December 12, 2016, 01:13:20 pm »
He was moving to cut out a long ball, like he did for just about every other long ball they played in the match - many of which he then put us on the front foot from. It then took a massive deflection off a Henderson header, I'm not sure there's anything he could have done, to be honest...other than be more of a back foot defender, which of course would remove what makes him so good in the first place. Don't think Karius was at fault for that one, either. That one was just pure bad luck, don't think anyone really did wrong...things like that happen in football.

Yeh, the second goal was a bit of a freak. Matip was aligned to clear the incoming ball, not expecting it to skim off Henderson's head. Karius could have spread a bit but Antonio might simply have put it the other side.

Online Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #852 on: December 12, 2016, 03:26:06 pm »
What do you think Matip is worth now?
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline gatcliffe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #853 on: December 12, 2016, 03:29:27 pm »
What do you think Matip is worth now?
Good question if he continues to perform the way he is to end of season I would say 35/40 million.
Like a bottle of wine the reds get better and better.

Offline Lustig

• Kopite
« Reply #854 on: December 12, 2016, 03:49:49 pm »
Good question if he continues to perform the way he is to end of season I would say 35/40 million.

35/40 million would be really reasonable if you don't take into context the money City have spent on their awful defence.

Nowadays though it looks like reliable central defenders that are good on the ball are becoming as precious as strikers.

So if we were offered 50m for Matip, I'd never take it.

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #855 on: December 12, 2016, 03:55:11 pm »
Yeh, the second goal was a bit of a freak. Matip was aligned to clear the incoming ball, not expecting it to skim off Henderson's head. Karius could have spread a bit but Antonio might simply have put it the other side.

Yeah. It's one of those we've all experienced. The way his body position and balance was, he'd have to pretty much break the physical limits of his body to get in the correct body position.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #856 on: December 12, 2016, 03:55:23 pm »
Luis went for 25m, 50m, and 34m...

Offline joezydudek

• Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #857 on: December 12, 2016, 04:05:44 pm »
He was, aye, but the only thing he was better at than Matip is heading, and that not by that much. Matip is miles ahead of him on the deck, more proactive and far faster too.

Other than his heading, Hyypia's biggest strength, in his prime years anyway, was his consistency.
Matip needs to spend a while at the club before we know whether he can match up to Sami in that respect.
Brilliant signing anyway!

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #858 on: December 12, 2016, 04:15:31 pm »
Enjoyed Shearer saying how mediocre he was v West Ham when a deflection ensures the ball goes over his head and Karius is sluggish to close the angle as a result, otherwise he was excellent. If you watched the game and know anything about football you could see that ffs.

He is fucking boss. Loved the advanced positions he took up second half especially, lovely composed passes to feet and he just exudes confidence and has that Sami like air of knowing what position to
take up. Looks one of the best signings we've made for a long time and he's only played a dozen or so games.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline vinothmct

• Kopite
« Reply #859 on: December 13, 2016, 04:24:30 am »
Its a shame we didn't see Matip and Sakho partnership . It would have been perfect.

Matip is just things naturally especially the way he took the ball off payet was top Notch. I hope he carries this form for years and Klopp forgives sakho,. We can Hope

Offline dramared

• No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #860 on: December 13, 2016, 09:17:07 pm »
I love the guy, cool, strong, has a underlying confidence. His long range, low passes are top draw. He was unlucky with the header catching him out against west ham.Boss
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 09:22:25 pm by dramared »

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #861 on: December 13, 2016, 10:20:01 pm »
He's one of those that I have no worries about in the squad. That says a lot because he's a new signing and he's already looking like a veteran. He's solid as fuck and plays the ball with total calm. We need another of his level though for our starting XI. I had forgotten how good a defender had to be to play at the top level to some extent until watching Matip (I don't watch much football outside of Liverpool).
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline plura

• Bear with me
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #862 on: December 13, 2016, 11:01:29 pm »
Hyypia was boss. But Matip from what we've seen so far... Wow. He just oozes class.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #863 on: December 14, 2016, 06:46:55 pm »
Injured tonight?
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #864 on: December 14, 2016, 06:50:07 pm »

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #865 on: December 14, 2016, 07:01:20 pm »
He travelled with the squad so they probably gave him a final check before the teams were announced, and decided not to risk him. It might not even be anything serious.

Offline M7 Heckler

• Anny Roader
« Reply #866 on: December 14, 2016, 07:10:05 pm »

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #867 on: December 15, 2016, 02:02:43 pm »
so I said this in west ham game - he out in an imperious performance but didn't look quite right. It looks like he was still carrying a knock.  Need him back for Monday as the Bitters will be using Lukaku for long balls and knockdowns

Online In the Name of Klopp

• smann. Talks as if he/she/they single handedly saw off H&G in 2010.
  • Legacy Fan
“Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.”

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #869 on: December 20, 2016, 03:57:33 pm »
Just tell them he's injured.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #870 on: December 20, 2016, 05:26:24 pm »

yep - he's definitely "injured"

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #871 on: December 21, 2016, 08:13:21 am »
They can fuck right off!!!  :wanker

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/liverpool-defender-joel-matip-could-9490610
He won't face sanctions most likely, he talked to Broos recently and everything should be fine between them.

Offline Souness1

• Kopite
  • Lallana is the second coming
« Reply #872 on: December 21, 2016, 08:21:56 am »
Have Matip and Klavan started a league match together yet?

Offline mc_red22

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #873 on: December 21, 2016, 08:40:14 am »

He then wouldn't be able to play for us until Cameroon get knocked out. I remember something like that happening with a Prem team a few years ago with the AFCON.

Personally, if Matip or anybody else doesn't want to go and play then that's up to them and no national manager or football association should be able to argue against it. Who do they think they are that they think they could seek punishment for him turning them down? Let's be honest, it's been getting reported for months that he won't be going and he has played just one game in about 2 and a half years. They can't be surprised that he isn't going ;D.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 08:45:13 am by mc_red22 »

Offline mc_red22

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #874 on: December 21, 2016, 08:54:05 am »
Have Matip and Klavan started a league match together yet?

Once, it was against Hull City. They also started alongside each other in the League Cup against Derby County.

Offline Levitz

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #875 on: December 21, 2016, 11:19:14 am »
Sounds like some weird high end enforced labour......

Do Cameroon federation pay players anything for international duty?
Liverpool ist Rad!

Offline Daniel Cabbaggio

• Roughage
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass and move, keep it simple = 19 & 6
    • www.redandwhitekop.com
« Reply #876 on: December 21, 2016, 11:19:48 am »
Is it even legal to impose something like that?
YNWA

Offline the good half

• these days is hard to find so please be gentle with this half of mine
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #877 on: December 21, 2016, 11:36:57 am »
Can always do a 'Stephen Ireland'.

Offline Mr Mingebag Squid

• Wire glory hunter
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #878 on: December 21, 2016, 11:38:17 am »
Surely as we're his employers it's up to us what we let him do?
My Sporting Dream Team:-
LFC - Worcester Warriors - Warrington Wolves - New England Patriots - Jenson Button
My Twatter : @MrHappySquid

Offline hassinator

• RAWK Funk Soul Brother
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • oot and proud
    • good egg hq
« Reply #879 on: December 21, 2016, 11:41:50 am »
Surely that's not right, that players can be banned from playing for their club if they refuse a call up? Can't a player just retire from international duty? WTF?

i think france did this with makele who had retired.

will be interesting to see what happens.