Author Topic: Boxing thread  (Read 4160712 times)

Offline WhoHe

• Legacy Fan
Re: Boxing thread
« Reply #64400 on: November 15, 2020, 05:15:31 am »
Brook was doing OK then bang. I thought he stopped it too soon but it would have ended the same way if it carried on.

Offline 7777

• RAWK Boxing Prediction League Champion 07
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We see things they'll never see
« Reply #64401 on: November 15, 2020, 05:29:01 am »
He definitely got Crawfords respect, switched up and hit Brook with a shot he didn’t see

Looking forward to Spence Garcia now, some good fights coming up

Offline rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64402 on: November 15, 2020, 05:30:57 am »
No real complaints about the stoppage, Brook didn’t have much of a clue where he was at that point. It’s a shame as he was doing well but soon as Crawford turned on the pressure it was over. Fordy, hope you’re alright mate :(
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #64403 on: November 15, 2020, 05:37:36 am »
Crawford is a proper switch hitter of the Hagler mode. Different level to the Ingles

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64404 on: November 15, 2020, 07:02:44 am »
Stoppage looked a bit soft, but I bet if you looked into Brook's eyes there'd be no one home.

Man, just saw the end of that Franco-Maloney fight, disgusting to see how boxing robs fighters, not a single headbutt to the right eye, and they simply lie in order to either rob the fighter or save face for the referee, what is the point of replay if you can't see the obvious.

Good to see boxing's version of VAR is just as useless. What the fuck was Bob Arum doing getting involved? Don't think it went the way he wanted anyway, but no way he should be able to get involved.

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64405 on: November 15, 2020, 08:21:04 am »
Also thought the stoppage came too quick but the ref must've had Brook's eye in mind and stopped it early for his sake. Pretty much confirms that Brook is done at the top level. Maybe he can go back to fighting Latvian electricians twice a year at Sheffield Arena.

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #64406 on: November 15, 2020, 10:54:51 am »
Also thought the stoppage came too quick but the ref must've had Brook's eye in mind and stopped it early for his sake. Pretty much confirms that Brook is done at the top level. Maybe he can go back to fighting Latvian electricians twice a year at Sheffield Arena.

His best win is against who, Shawn Porter? And that was pretty close. Kell is tough and loves a challenge but he's never been an elite fighter IMO. Very easy to say after the fact but every time he's stepped up he's done well to a degree but never quite been up to it.

Retirement now, surely? He could go up again in weight but to fight who?

Offline dikwad

• Kopite
« Reply #64407 on: November 15, 2020, 11:04:08 am »
Moving up and down the weights hasn't done Kell's career any good but he was a world champion who's only lost to elite level guys so hopefully he'll have a good think about his future now.

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64408 on: November 15, 2020, 11:05:07 am »
Kell was concerning Crawford at the start and it was always going to be interesting to see what happens when Crawford lands a decent punch.

Kell is finished and this is why I am shock Khan is running away from that fight.

As for Crawford he is a class act but needs to fight Spence now. That fight needs to be made if Spence beats Garcia.

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #64409 on: November 15, 2020, 11:06:22 am »
Doesn't matter how much Kell troubled Crawford Khan still last longer than him Fordy ;)

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64410 on: November 15, 2020, 11:10:01 am »
Really hard to judge Brook's career because you'll never know what would have happened had he not committed suicide against GGG. I thought Porter was a 147lb Mike Tyson at the time Brook beat him but time has put that win in perspective.

He's missing a top tier name on his CV and Porter is the only tier 2 name on there. From Porter down it's a long way to his next best name. No harm in losing to the names he has lost to, but he hasn't really beat anyone either.

Offline Legs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #64411 on: November 15, 2020, 11:15:10 am »
As I said the other day he has one cashout fight left does Khan want it ?

Being honest it is a pointless fight now there is no world title on the line.

It is hard to judge Brook as all 3 defeats are to elite boxers id say he is a good boxer not a great one.

Crawford will beat Spence imo too.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64412 on: November 15, 2020, 01:02:36 pm »
While I thought the stoppage came a little early it was the right decision as Crawford would've stopped him within the next round or two.

Only fight left for Kell is Amir Khan and vice versa.

Offline 7777

• RAWK Boxing Prediction League Champion 07
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We see things they'll never see
« Reply #64413 on: November 15, 2020, 01:42:24 pm »
Just like another Hatton Witter isn’t it. Should have fought but their ego’s won’t allow it

Offline 1892tillforever

• "Just call me................daddy.............!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Either the curtains go or I do
« Reply #64414 on: November 15, 2020, 02:16:52 pm »
Really hard to judge Brook's career because you'll never know what would have happened had he not committed suicide against GGG. I thought Porter was a 147lb Mike Tyson at the time Brook beat him but time has put that win in perspective.

He's missing a top tier name on his CV and Porter is the only tier 2 name on there. From Porter down it's a long way to his next best name. No harm in losing to the names he has lost to, but he hasn't really beat anyone either.
Perhaps, but he was 36 fights into his career at that stage. I doubt he would have fought many top WW contenders even if he remained in his lane so to speak. When looking at a career, you need to look at the top 5 wins at least, if not more, to gauge the quality of opposition. Looking at Brook's record, it is pretty bad. Something like:

Shawn Porter
Vyacheslav Senchenko
Lovemore Ndou (MILES past his peak)
Carson Jones
Frankie Gavin

That's pretty grim.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64415 on: November 15, 2020, 02:37:45 pm »
Fordy would  even make Kell's top 10 for fucks sake.

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64416 on: November 15, 2020, 02:38:05 pm »
Perhaps, but he was 36 fights into his career at that stage. I doubt he would have fought many top WW contenders even if he remained in his lane so to speak. When looking at a career, you need to look at the top 5 wins at least, if not more, to gauge the quality of opposition. Looking at Brook's record, it is pretty bad. Something like:

Shawn Porter
Vyacheslav Senchenko
Carson Jones
Frankie Gavin

That's pretty grim.

Yeah it's not great when you look at it like that.

I suppose the real question we'll always have is; what would his career have looked like in a world where Amir Khan didn't exist? I think the JoJo Dan/Frankie Gavin phase of his career might look different because he was in a holding pattern waiting for that fight to come off. Then he only fought GGG to one up Khan when he took Canelo.

It's happened to too many British fighters, and I really hope we're not having this conversation about Callum Smith in a few years.

Offline arthur sarnoff

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #64417 on: November 15, 2020, 02:54:39 pm »
Just like another Hatton Witter isn’t it. Should have fought but their ego’s won’t allow it

Some of the arguments on boxing forums I was on at that time were crazy about Hatton-Witter.  Put Fordy to shame.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64418 on: November 15, 2020, 08:56:27 pm »
Tyson Fury has abandoned plans to fight in London on 5 December. He says he's not going to return to the ring until 2021.

https://bbc.in/38JLYO7

Offline Sammy5IsAlive

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #64419 on: November 15, 2020, 11:34:42 pm »

Shawn Porter
Vyacheslav Senchenko
Carson Jones
Frankie Gavin

That's pretty grim.

I think that's a slightly harsh way of looking at it. For me up to 2014 he did what any boxer would do working up to a world title and took fights that he could win in a fairly straightforward manner whilst getting himself up the rankings. He then won the title against Porter who is and was a genuine world level fighter. That win was his 11th professional fight. If you skip forward a couple of years to 2016 to date, he's had 3 losses against elite fighters (one of whom he had no business being in with weightwise, one of whom he for me stayed competitive with till his eye went and the other maybe being the #1 pound for pound fighter in the world at the moment) with tune-up fights in between.

As was suggested above it is that 2014-16 period that makes his record seem so shallow. He was hanging on for the big money fight with Khan and dodging the banana skins. I think if that pot of gold hadn't been on the horizon he would have had a really good chance of defending his title against legitimate contenders that would have looked much better on his record.

As others have said above - it's a cautionary tale for Callum Smith.

As an aside is it still him and DeGale the last two British boxers to win world titles in the US?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 11:58:33 pm by Sammy5IsAlive »

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #64420 on: November 16, 2020, 12:29:35 am »
Tyson Fury has abandoned plans to fight in London on 5 December. He says he's not going to return to the ring until 2021.

https://bbc.in/38JLYO7

I saw an interview with Frank Warren after the show on Friday and he said that Wilder’s team have taken them to court in the US to get the 3rd fight.

Offline 1892tillforever

• "Just call me................daddy.............!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Either the curtains go or I do
« Reply #64421 on: November 16, 2020, 09:59:11 am »
I think that's a slightly harsh way of looking at it. For me up to 2014 he did what any boxer would do working up to a world title and took fights that he could win in a fairly straightforward manner whilst getting himself up the rankings. He then won the title against Porter who is and was a genuine world level fighter. That win was his 11th professional fight. If you skip forward a couple of years to 2016 to date, he's had 3 losses against elite fighters (one of whom he had no business being in with weightwise, one of whom he for me stayed competitive with till his eye went and the other maybe being the #1 pound for pound fighter in the world at the moment) with tune-up fights in between.

As was suggested above it is that 2014-16 period that makes his record seem so shallow. He was hanging on for the big money fight with Khan and dodging the banana skins. I think if that pot of gold hadn't been on the horizon he would have had a really good chance of defending his title against legitimate contenders that would have looked much better on his record.

As others have said above - it's a cautionary tale for Callum Smith.

As an aside is it still him and DeGale the last two British boxers to win world titles in the US?
You make some good points Sammy, but I don't think it is harsh. I feel that it is a solid way to analyse a boxer's career in what is an industry filled with padded records and other assorted nonsense.

Porter was Brook's 33rd professional fight! His 11th professional fight was against someone called Geraint Harvey who had a 3-26 record. Also, Brook fought someone called Ernie Smith three times in his first 10 fights for some reason. Smith was 11-80-3 first fight and 13-97-5 in the third fight.

His level of competition only went up towards the 20 fight mark, which is fairly standard to be honest. Porter is a good fighter no question, and it was a superb win for Brook. However, his only defences came against Jo Jo Dan, Gavin and Kevin Bizier. He had also been a professional fight for 10 years by the time he fought Porter. For me, there is no doubt that Brook took too long to make the step up as well as not taking on better quality fighters at that point. His career will go down as a 'what might have been' for me, because I think Brook WAS a very good fighter indeed.

I would have favoured him heavily against Khan, but his nemesis has had the better career in terms of who he has beaten IMO. Khan has beaten the following:

Marcos Maidana
Marco Antonio Barrera (The Ghost Of)
Andriy Kotelnik
Paulie Malignaggi
Devon Alexander
Paul McCloskey
Zab Judah (The Ghost Of)
Chris Algieri
Luis Collazo (The Ghost Of)

Not exactly a Hall of Fame resume but still, overall, a better level of competition than Kell.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64422 on: November 17, 2020, 07:31:09 pm »
Wilder has called out Whyte if he can't get the Fury fight...he won't.  :D

Offline Fordy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64423 on: November 17, 2020, 08:19:27 pm »

He won't what?

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64424 on: November 17, 2020, 08:37:46 pm »
Get the Fury fight. So the Whyte fight is a pretty good backup.

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64425 on: November 17, 2020, 08:51:45 pm »

He's also come up with a new excuse based around Fury's fingernails.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64426 on: November 17, 2020, 08:55:04 pm »
Sharp finger nails are a no-no mate.  :D

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64427 on: November 17, 2020, 10:25:09 pm »
Wilder's next excuse will be that the lights were too bright and the ring ropes weren't the right colour.

Offline G a r y

• Sexist Pig. Wants to mate with Dan Bilzerian
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kop 306
« Reply #64428 on: November 17, 2020, 11:43:26 pm »
Callum Smith v Canelo, 19th December  :champ

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64429 on: November 17, 2020, 11:45:14 pm »
Canelo will have so many clauses inserted, Callum will come in looking like a Featherweight.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2020, 11:49:09 pm by Samie »

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #64430 on: November 18, 2020, 12:01:05 am »
Canelo will have so many clauses inserted, Callum will come in looking like a Featherweight.

Well he certainly won’t win without a KO, even if he wins every round

Still a good fight to look forward to
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #64431 on: November 18, 2020, 12:32:03 am »
I wish Callum Smith all the best, he’ll need to knock Canelo out to get the win.

Offline Fordy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64432 on: November 18, 2020, 01:07:23 am »

Kebab time!!

Good fight this.Smith has been chasing the rainbow for years.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64433 on: November 18, 2020, 09:03:26 am »
Hope Smith does it. Looking forward to watching hopefully a good fight for once.

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64434 on: November 18, 2020, 09:09:29 am »
Finally!  Was really worried this wasn't going to come off.

Will be the most competitive fight ginger has been in for years.

Offline G a r y

• Legacy Fan
  • Kop 306
« Reply #64435 on: November 18, 2020, 09:37:33 am »
It's a proper fight isn't it? Really looking forward to this one.

Shame no one can go

Offline Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64436 on: November 18, 2020, 09:57:05 am »

They have plenty of time to plan around that, Smith has always looked very impressive to me but this is a massive step up in class, usually the British fighters lack of defensive skill is what undoes the against the us fighters, he’s got a huge height and reach advantage and his power has always been good so it should be a fight he can win but then again I thought kovalev would smash Canelo

Smith should win this but he needs to push the boat out and find the absolute best team / game plan possible and not stick to his comfort zone

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #64437 on: November 18, 2020, 10:18:26 am »
Smith was becoming a bit of a forgotten man, he's only fought about 6 times in the last 4 years and those years have been his peak. I'm happy he's got this fight, he got a few quid for the WBSS and he'll get a nice wedge here too.

Smith is a legit 6'3 and he'll have to use all of it to his advantage. He has power but Canelo's never been down from my recollection so it'll be interesting to see that play out. I thought Ryder beat Smith last year but you feel he wont be as sloppy for the biggest fight of his career. Canelo absolutely marmalized Rocky Fielding's ribs when they fought and Smith is of a similar height and stature, so look for Canelo to expose the room between Smith's guard and lower body because if he exploits that then Smith wont have a hope in hell. Smith's advantage with his height and reach could be his downfall if he doesn't adjust.

I make Canelo favourite, 70/30, but Smith is a live dog here and it should be an absolute cracker.

Offline G a r y

• Legacy Fan
  • Kop 306
« Reply #64438 on: November 18, 2020, 10:57:02 am »
Smith was becoming a bit of a forgotten man, he's only fought about 6 times in the last 4 years and those years have been his peak. I'm happy he's got this fight, he got a few quid for the WBSS and he'll get a nice wedge here too.

Smith is a legit 6'3 and he'll have to use all of it to his advantage. He has power but Canelo's never been down from my recollection so it'll be interesting to see that play out. I thought Ryder beat Smith last year but you feel he wont be as sloppy for the biggest fight of his career. Canelo absolutely marmalized Rocky Fielding's ribs when they fought and Smith is of a similar height and stature, so look for Canelo to expose the room between Smith's guard and lower body because if he exploits that then Smith wont have a hope in hell. Smith's advantage with his height and reach could be his downfall if he doesn't adjust.

I make Canelo favourite, 70/30, but Smith is a live dog here and it should be an absolute cracker.
Well summarised, my thoughts exactly.

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64439 on: November 18, 2020, 11:32:30 am »

Yeah I agree, 70/30 is about right but a 30% chance is a solid one.  I don't think Canelo will completely go to town on Smith's ribcage the way he did with Rocky Fielding because he'll be a lot more respectful of what's coming back, but I agree that's the weakness. 

As we found out with Lomachenko the other week and Chocolatito a couple of years ago it doesn't matter how good you are if you keep going up through the weights you're going to come up against someone who's too big for you, and Callum might be that someone.