Author Topic: RAWK's The King Banner  (Read 2005 times)

Offline stoz

• John Motson. The Flag Bearer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
RAWK's The King Banner
« on: May 7, 2023, 12:04:54 am »
As many of you will probably have seen today, we at OTK Flags held The King banner in the centre of the Kop, prior to Kick-off. Early in the week, it dawned on me that it was necessary to track it down and that it was hugely appropriate that it should be out today. Fortunately we managed to do this, and also the weather was kind to us today.

Now, not so many of you will know that this is a banner that was designed and funded many years ago on this very website. I just thought I'd post to let you all know that the banner is with me at the moment, and to see what, if anything, those involved in it want to do.

I'm happy to keep hold of it, and to get it out occasionally. Realistically, that's only going to be maybe around 4 times a season.

Alternatively, if someone wants to take it over an get it out much more often, or wants it for an alternative use, then feel free to let me know.  :)

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: RAWK's The King Banner
« Reply #1 on: May 7, 2023, 09:17:03 am »

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2 on: May 7, 2023, 12:29:35 pm »
on 41 seconds a fantastic ray of light show us who the real King is

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/OeKJtyRwnME" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/OeKJtyRwnME</a>

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: May 7, 2023, 07:25:25 pm »
Yeah, superb mate. I meant to mention it to my lad. It was back up at HT as well. Looked boss and significant.
What year was it?

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #4 on: May 7, 2023, 07:43:57 pm »
I remember the fundraising for it, it looked fantastic, great to see it out again.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: May 7, 2023, 07:47:58 pm »
BTW Stoz you and your mates do a fantastic job with the flags.
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Offline stoz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: May 8, 2023, 01:10:06 am »
Kavah - Thanks for putting the picture up. That was something I struggled with, and couldn't get one added to this post, so I appreciate you doing this  :)

The first memory I have of the banner, was helping to get it displayed at the Derby when Kenny returned as manager in January 2011. I can't remember whether I held it myself that day, but I definitely helped arranging getting it set up and out into the middle spot. The banner itself was probably organised and funded some time within the previous year or two, but I can't seem to locate a thread about it.

Indeed John, we put it up for a few minutes at the front at half-time

Offline Johnny Aldridge

• Kopite
  • Red & White Crown Paints Kop
« Reply #7 on: May 8, 2023, 02:43:54 am »
As many of you will probably have seen today, we at OTK Flags held The King banner in the centre of the Kop, prior to Kick-off. Early in the week, it dawned on me that it was necessary to track it down and that it was hugely appropriate that it should be out today. Fortunately we managed to do this, and also the weather was kind to us today.

Now, not so many of you will know that this is a banner that was designed and funded many years ago on this very website. I just thought I'd post to let you all know that the banner is with me at the moment, and to see what, if anything, those involved in it want to do.

I'm happy to keep hold of it, and to get it out occasionally. Realistically, that's only going to be maybe around 4 times a season.

Alternatively, if someone wants to take it over an get it out much more often, or wants it for an alternative use, then feel free to let me know.  :)

Feels like this should be reserved for European nights, or occasions worthy of The Kings flag, not a 12:30 kick off against whoever. Unlike the lizard folk, our King has earned his title and his title is respected. (Thanks for giving some history behind it, seen it on the tellybox a few times and never knew it was funds from this site that put it together.
For a player to be good enough to play for Liverpool, he must be prepared to run through a brick wall for me then come out fighting on the other side.
Bill Shankly 1913-1981.

Offline stoz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2023, 02:28:14 pm »
Feels like this should be reserved for European nights, or occasions worthy of The Kings flag, not a 12:30 kick off against whoever. Unlike the lizard folk, our King has earned his title and his title is respected. (Thanks for giving some history behind it, seen it on the tellybox a few times and never knew it was funds from this site that put it together.
Not necessarily mate. But it should be out more than it has been, and that's really down to the people on this website if they want it to be out a lot more. As I've mentioned above, I'm happy to keep hold of it and get it out occasionally. What I'd much prefer is if a couple of RAWKites who are also Kop regulars, would get together and take ownership of it and get it out regularly, which I'm more than happy to help with in the beginning.