Author Topic: Liverpool to play the national anthem v Brentford.  (Read 24358 times)

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Liverpool to play the national anthem v Brentford.
« Reply #40 on: May 5, 2023, 11:25:25 am »
Don't know why people are flapping about the reaction. The paying crowd will be exercising their free speech, who cares what anyone else thinks.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #41 on: May 5, 2023, 11:26:04 am »
Expect endless renditions of god save the king from the Brentford fans during the match.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #42 on: May 5, 2023, 11:27:54 am »
Expect endless renditions of god save the king from the Brentford fans during the match.

They’re not really twats in my experience but their songbook is a bit lower league/crap so I do fear there will be a bit of ‘wind up’ shite being sung from them thinking they’re being hilarious.

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: May 5, 2023, 11:29:43 am »
Yeah but videos of thousands of fans booing the national anthem is just going to be played constantly. Thats far more impactful than just knowing we didnt play it.

What it comes down to is the CLUB are SEEN to be doing the 'right thing' [parking my personal views for now]. So the press reports on it will be about the FANS and not the club. I don't love it, but it's clear in the announcement there's pressure on them to do this, and I think they've handled it about as well as they can. Over to the fans now to make their feelings clear.
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: May 5, 2023, 11:32:09 am »
Don't know why people are flapping about the reaction. The paying crowd will be exercising their free speech, who cares what anyone else thinks.
Also we live in a system with a monarchy. It's not crazy therefore that this would happen. However we also live in a country with free speech where people are allowed to criticise the monarchy. We are allowed to have opposing views like many of the country does. I like that they have given us the opportunity for those inside Anfield to voice it. There will be some criticising any negative reaction, some defending our right to do so and praising us. All part of a valid conversation (granted there may be some nutters saying we shouldn't have the right to react this way, but they are just that, nutters)

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: May 5, 2023, 11:33:14 am »
Yeah but videos of thousands of fans booing the national anthem is just going to be played constantly. Thats far more impactful than just knowing we didnt play it.
Who cares? Our fans would not be doing anything wrong, just some people disagree.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: May 5, 2023, 11:35:49 am »
I mean it's pretty stupid, but it's gonna be pretty funny tomorrow

I do feel it was strong armed onto the club, mainly because of the line in the official statement which was " It is, of course, a personal choice how those at Anfield on Saturday mark this occasion and we know some supporters have strong views on it."

Basically outright saying they know we are going to boo it and everyone knows it, so don't be surprised that we don't respect this occasion

I'm surprised they're going ahead and playing the national anthem. They know it'll get booed though and it will be pretty funny when that happens. Not surprised with the spineless comments though, everything the club does at the moment is spineless for some.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #47 on: May 5, 2023, 11:35:55 am »
to be honest I intend to do the Pledge Saturday...I love its woody goodness and smell.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #48 on: May 5, 2023, 11:39:15 am »
to be honest I intend to do the Pledge Saturday...I love its woody goodness and smell.

Class, from a Mr Sheen fan. 👏

Offline rojo para la vida

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #49 on: May 5, 2023, 11:41:55 am »
Bring it on. Scousers are ahead of a lot of things and the majority up and down the country will also be booing it in a decade.

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #50 on: May 5, 2023, 11:42:31 am »
Exactly. Plus it’s not like the country thinks we’ll have changed our minds since the last time we booed it, so it’ll come as no surprise. Give em something to moan about whilst they’re tugging their forelocks and shouting their allegiances to some big-eared posh get that none of them know or really give a shite about.

Offline Kennys from heaven

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition!"
« Reply #51 on: May 5, 2023, 11:48:45 am »
Perhaps a mass showing of complete disdain to it is far more impactful so have the crowd turn their back to the pitch when it's being played would be much better message?

The most important people at Liverpool Football Club are the people who want to be here

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #52 on: May 5, 2023, 11:50:36 am »
You do all know that GSTK is about Kenny Dalglish, don't you?
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #53 on: May 5, 2023, 11:51:03 am »
Exactly. Plus it’s not like the country thinks we’ll have changed our minds since the last time we booed it, so it’ll come as no surprise.

Absolutely. There will be plenty, who while perhaps not admitting it openly, would be glad to see a counter reaction to it. Not everyone will be falling over themselves for an archiac institution and we'll be the reminder

Offline gray19lfc

• Would like a McFly hairstyle
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the end of a storm, there's a golden sky ★★★★★★
« Reply #54 on: May 5, 2023, 11:54:26 am »
Boo the fuck out of it and anyone who doesn’t understand our reasons for doing so are not worth your energy.

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #55 on: May 5, 2023, 11:54:37 am »
Are we sure Liverpool will be the only ones booing? All the commentary about the coronation i've seen has been about how ridiculous it is in the year 2023 and how much it's costing the taxpayer in a cost of living crisis.

Online redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: May 5, 2023, 11:56:44 am »
Bring it on. Scousers are ahead of a lot of things and the majority up and down the country will also be booing it in a decade.

This. There'll be loads around the country who'll wish they could join in.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: May 5, 2023, 11:57:20 am »
Always found 'booing' bit lame....to drown out blowing a whistle more effective imo

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #58 on: May 5, 2023, 12:01:06 pm »
Always found 'booing' bit lame....to drown out blowing a whistle more effective imo

Agreed about the booing, and whistling does carry better.

But there is plenty that could be sung over the top as an alternative. Booing is the lazy option.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: May 5, 2023, 12:07:04 pm »
What it comes down to is the CLUB are SEEN to be doing the 'right thing' [parking my personal views for now]. So the press reports on it will be about the FANS and not the club. I don't love it, but it's clear in the announcement there's pressure on them to do this, and I think they've handled it about as well as they can. Over to the fans now to make their feelings clear.

Yeah, the club have bowed to pressure and instead thrown their fans under the bus.

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: May 5, 2023, 12:09:37 pm »
Yeah, the club have bowed to pressure and instead thrown their fans under the bus.

Personally I'm looking forward to what mad, right wing loons have to say about this after. I reckon peter shilton will call for a points deduction or something.
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #61 on: May 5, 2023, 12:11:39 pm »

Exactly.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Online DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: May 5, 2023, 12:12:27 pm »

Supporters are responsible for their own actions and in this case, it's freedom of speech which will antagonise gammons en masse.

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #63 on: May 5, 2023, 12:15:22 pm »
Everyone knows it will be booed. Cue faux outrage when it happens.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #64 on: May 5, 2023, 12:15:30 pm »
Not unexpected to be honest. Fans will boo, people will be outraged, storm in a teacup forgotten in  a couple of days.
« Last Edit: May 5, 2023, 12:22:53 pm by Chakan »

Offline Vauxy head red

• Main Stander
« Reply #65 on: May 5, 2023, 12:18:10 pm »
Perhaps a mass showing of complete disdain to it is far more impactful so have the crowd turn their back to the pitch when it's being played would be much better message?

Great idea.

Offline b_joseph

• b_jesus, b_mary, b_joseph and the wee b_donkey. Unloyal gloryhunter who was probably Kelly Osbourne in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: May 5, 2023, 12:18:45 pm »
Everyone knows what will happen and it will be more impactful, than if it wasnt played at all.

Certain media outlets will feign outrage. But that is just another day in this country.
« Last Edit: May 5, 2023, 12:23:15 pm by b_joseph »

Offline DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #67 on: May 5, 2023, 12:19:48 pm »
YNWA over the top of it is another.

That would be horrendous, why on earth would anyone want YNWA associated with that shite?

Offline seandundee123

• Main Stander
« Reply #68 on: May 5, 2023, 12:22:03 pm »
That would be horrendous, why on earth would anyone want YNWA associated with that shite?

Spot on mate

Online jacobs chains

• Legacy Fan
  • The fight will not be attaining dreams.
« Reply #69 on: May 5, 2023, 12:24:27 pm »
Other than the usual internet warriors/worriers who gives a fuck?

It's a non-event.

Online stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #70 on: May 5, 2023, 12:26:55 pm »
Not sure about the throwing the fans under the bus part. I feel there's been massive pressure on the club by the PL and I wouldn't be surprised, if there were heavy threats being made in case the club refuses to play the anthem. I like the part in the statement saying that the supporters have a right to react to it whatever way they see fit to it. For me it's about how the club handles it after the booing has happened, if they're throwing the fans under the bus. If they come out right afterwards with a strong statement saying, that there's free speech in this country and people have every right to boo the national anthem to make their feelings known, I don't really think fans would have been thrown under the bus. If it's some kind of weak sort of apology then the club should be heavily criticised for what they've done.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: May 5, 2023, 12:33:17 pm »
Not sure about the throwing the fans under the bus part. I feel there's been massive pressure on the club by the PL and I wouldn't be surprised, if there were heavy threats being made in case the club refuses to play the anthem. I like the part in the statement saying that the supporters have a right to react to it whatever way they see fit to it. For me it's about how the club handles it after the booing has happened, if they're throwing the fans under the bus. If they come out right afterwards with a strong statement saying, that there's free speech in this country and people have every right to boo the national anthem to make their feelings known, I don't really think fans would have been thrown under the bus. If it's some kind of weak sort of apology then the club should be heavily criticised for what they've done.

Threats of what though?
It's been repeatedly said on here that the Premier League is the clubs. So all the other 19 clubs ganged up and told Liverpool to play it or else?
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Spanish Al

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: May 5, 2023, 12:33:24 pm »
Delighted the club are playing it as I’ve been looking forward to booing the fuck out of it it all week. Might get the crowd going a bit as well when Brentford fans predictably sing it to through the game too.
Rafa Benitez: "I’ll always keep in my heart the good times I’ve had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager."

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #73 on: May 5, 2023, 12:43:00 pm »

I’ll be massively dissapointed if I see anyone sing it  :P

Daft decision by the club, but not cos of what reaction might be - cos yeah, who cares, I love it when it gets booed at Wembley. But more so that celebrating this god awful man and family, while they spend a disgusting amount of money taken from the people for this garish coronation is truly unnecessary, and a decision to not join in would have been a great stance to take.

Offline Dougle

• and the bleu cat!
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: May 5, 2023, 12:43:07 pm »
Quite looking forward to voicing my opposition to the coronation without the fear of being arrested for protest

Touché

Offline A Red Abroad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We had dreams and songs to sing
« Reply #75 on: May 5, 2023, 12:54:25 pm »

Good! Let the world see and hear it.
My marmoset, to get things done,
You fell in Loch Ness with Major Tom.

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #76 on: May 5, 2023, 01:03:27 pm »
It’s what we did at most cup finals to be honest. Doesn’t associate YNWA with GSTK. Just sends a message we care more about LFC and that’s what we’re there at the match for.
« Last Edit: May 5, 2023, 01:10:46 pm by Red_Mist »

Offline pascoli

• Shit Googler & Easily Amused Bar Steward...
  • Legacy Fan
  • PER ARDUA AD ASTRA
« Reply #77 on: May 5, 2023, 01:03:46 pm »
Isn't that what used to be done at Cup Finals?
INTERNET TERRORIST. AND PROUD TOO.

Offline FlashingBlade

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: May 5, 2023, 01:05:36 pm »
Why are people 'worried' about our 'reputation'...fuck me the shite weve taken nationally about our City and fan base for decades and your worried these twats may think bad of us??. ..hahaha

Boooooooooooooo!!!

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #79 on: May 5, 2023, 01:07:16 pm »
Why are people 'worried' about our 'reputation'...fuck me the shite weve taken nationally about our City and fan base for decades and your worried these twats may think bad of us??. ..hahaha

Boooooooooooooo!!!

Like this is something new that's gonna happen, baffling.