Author Topic: Liverpool to play the national anthem v Brentford.  (Read 24363 times)

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
Re: Liverpool to play the national anthem v Brentford.
« Reply #160 on: May 5, 2023, 03:53:25 pm »
I remember singing 'Merseyside, Merseyside' over it - or that may have been '86 ??

It was a while back now.
I think that was '86. In '89 I genuinely didn't even know the national anthem had been played. I never heard a note of it.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline A Red Abroad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We had dreams and songs to sing
« Reply #161 on: May 5, 2023, 03:54:01 pm »
I thought that was 84 (could have been both!). I do remember YNWA in 89 but they had Gerry Marsden there for it too didn’t they?

Ah! Yes. :)
My marmoset, to get things done,
You fell in Loch Ness with Major Tom.

Offline Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #162 on: May 5, 2023, 03:54:26 pm »
To who though? Who is it you're worried about?

It's only going to be those who dislike us/the City anyway - it's not going change anything one way or the other.

If 50,000 at Anfield sang GSTK at the top of their lungs tomorrow - you think they're suddenly going to be 'heroes' in others' minds?

I think this has the been the perfect solution - the club are seen to follow PL guidelines - while the rest of us get to show how we feel (in the safety of our own stadium). There will be a fair few folk arrested tomorrow - on the streets of London - just for protesting/expressing their disapproval of the monarchy.

I respect your position is different to mine, but I can't understand why you care what the right-wing media or fans of other clubs might think. It's not like they like us anyway.

:)

The club could have chose not to play it. I think that would have simply been a better solution.

Offline A Red Abroad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #163 on: May 5, 2023, 03:55:45 pm »
The city will look as it has looked for decades or more - like somewhere proud to stick 2 fingers up at the establishment. It should be a sense of enormous pride that booing that dreadful song will make all the right people angry.

I couldn't agree more.

Spot on.  :thumbup

Offline A Red Abroad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #164 on: May 5, 2023, 03:56:53 pm »
The club could have chose not to play it. I think that would have simply been a better solution.

That's where we'll have to agree to differ.

I prefer we get the chance to boo or sing over it.

To each their own. :)

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #165 on: May 5, 2023, 03:57:47 pm »
Didn't we always just sing God Save Our Gracious Team that's how I remember it. Mind you that only worked while the old baked bean was around.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #166 on: May 5, 2023, 03:58:01 pm »
To who though? Who is it you're worried about?

It's only going to be those who dislike us/the City anyway - it's not going change anything one way or the other.

If 50,000 at Anfield sang GSTK at the top of their lungs tomorrow - you think they're suddenly going to be 'heroes' in others' minds?

I think this has the been the perfect solution - the club are seen to follow PL guidelines - while the rest of us get to show how we feel (in the safety of our own stadium). There will be a fair few folk arrested tomorrow - on the streets of London - just for protesting/expressing their disapproval of the monarchy.

I respect your position is different to mine, but I can't understand why you care what the right-wing media or fans of other clubs might think. It's not like they like us anyway.

:)

Someone pointed this out in a thread last week and I completely agreed. What people think/chant at us will never change, it'd be foolish to believe so.

Best thing the club could have done is say we aren't playing it because we don't believe it has a place at football games. Which would be true, there's just no need for it, same with the silence over the Queen's death last year. It had absolutely nothing to do Liverpool Football Club and there was no reason to go ahead with it.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #167 on: May 5, 2023, 04:01:21 pm »
Has this been revoked yet?

We are rioting, yeah?

Fucking hell.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #168 on: May 5, 2023, 04:14:26 pm »
Royal Crescent in Bath

Jurgen YNWA

Offline Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #169 on: May 5, 2023, 04:18:33 pm »

I just don't agree that 'fuck them' is a very valid or good argument.

If that's the case then I guess we can't complain when anyone says anything about the city, shouts anything at matches or anything else, because 'fuck them'.

Offline Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #170 on: May 5, 2023, 04:19:30 pm »
Royal Crescent in Bath

Someone needs to go get the supply of greek yogurt from the nearest tesco.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #171 on: May 5, 2023, 04:19:58 pm »
Someone needs to go get the supply of greek yogurt from the nearest tesco.

And all the tampons they can find
Jurgen YNWA

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #172 on: May 5, 2023, 04:21:14 pm »
YNWA to drown that dirge of an anthem out.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #173 on: May 5, 2023, 04:22:53 pm »

If that's the case then I guess we can't complain when anyone says anything about the city, shouts anything at matches or anything else, because 'fuck them'.

We can complain in the exact same way that anyone can complain about the chorus of boos that will greet the national anthem tomorrow. It is for people's conscience whether you consider mocking a song that says we should offer deference to a monarch on an equal footing with some of the disgusting things that get said about us. Personally, I see a vast, vast difference between sneering at the establishment, and mocking disasters that affect working class people. If other people don't, then as the previous post said, fuck them.
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

Offline paisley1977

• Legacy Fan
  • Bob an ordinary man of extraordinary greatness.
« Reply #174 on: May 5, 2023, 04:28:19 pm »
The premier league know the score with us over the Anthem. So why make us play on Saturday night?
I've been here during the bad times,we finished second once.

Offline Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #175 on: May 5, 2023, 04:30:02 pm »
We can complain in the exact same way that anyone can complain about the chorus of boos that will greet the national anthem tomorrow. It is for people's conscience whether you consider mocking a song that says we should offer deference to a monarch on an equal footing with some of the disgusting things that get said about us. Personally, I see a vast, vast difference between sneering at the establishment, and mocking disasters that affect working class people. If other people don't, then as the previous post said, fuck them.

Never said anything about mocking disasters, so don't try and take it there that's pretty ugly.

I'd rather just not have that anthem played over the tannoy inside Anfield by the club and pretty surprised to be honest at so many happy about the club doing that.

Boo it or not the club will be playing that inside the ground and for me that's pretty fucked up. Hopefully some 'technical' fault stops it going ahead.

Offline Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #176 on: May 5, 2023, 04:30:54 pm »
The premier league know the score with us over the Anthem. So why make us play on Saturday night?

Nobody is making us, the club have chosen to play it in honour of the King for us all to listen to. Just like good old North Korea.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #177 on: May 5, 2023, 04:31:53 pm »
I wonder if us or Celtic will get more of the abuse?  :D

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #178 on: May 5, 2023, 04:33:23 pm »
The Premier League instruction says that the coronation should be marked. It doesn’t say how.

So why not a huge image of Jug Ears on the Kop? Then everyone’s happy.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline A Red Abroad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #179 on: May 5, 2023, 04:35:06 pm »

Where did I write any of that ^ ? ???

'Fuck them'? I don't believe I wrote that.

You replied to:

Your reply (to my post) has confused me. :)

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #180 on: May 5, 2023, 04:39:05 pm »

Some things are worth concerning yourself over, booing that dirge and getting criticism over it, shouldn't be one of them imo.

Offline Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #181 on: May 5, 2023, 04:43:38 pm »
Where did I write any of that ^ ? ???

'Fuck them'? I don't believe I wrote that.

You replied to:

Your reply (to my post) has confused me. :)

Not sure if serious?

Offline Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: May 5, 2023, 04:48:45 pm »
Some things are worth concerning yourself over, booing that dirge and getting criticism over it, shouldn't be one of them imo.

It's a forum mate, people argue over fucking Mbappe in here  ;D

Although yes you're right it's not something to scream and shout about, but having the option I would definitely chose for the club not to play it and I do think they have shifted it onto the fans by doing that. Would rather they just don't play it as I find it really messed up that it is being forced in there like some state run dictatorship.

Offline A Red Abroad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: May 5, 2023, 04:49:58 pm »
Not sure if serious?

Yeah, I'm serious. You replied to (quoted) my post - with a reply that made no sense.

Where did 'Fuck them' come from? I never wrote that.

Offline ScottScott

• Thugby...It's just not rugger old chap!!!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #184 on: May 5, 2023, 04:52:43 pm »

You need to go and have a sit down mate, or at least step away from the keyboard for a while. If people want to come here and sing songs about poverty and the city it's absolutely fine, have at it. If they want to come here and sing about tragedies then we have every right to complain because it's absolutely disgusting

If you think us booing the national anthem is in any way equatable to the stuff that gets sang and shouted at matches then you're a fucked up individual

Offline Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #185 on: May 5, 2023, 04:58:42 pm »
You need to go and have a sit down mate, or at least step away from the keyboard for a while. If people want to come here and sing songs about poverty and the city it's absolutely fine, have at it. If they want to come here and sing about tragedies then we have every right to complain because it's absolutely disgusting

If you think us booing the national anthem is in any way equatable to the stuff that gets sang and shouted at matches then you're a fucked up individual

Said above that I obviously didn't mean that, but if you'd like to pull it apart and make something else from that comment so you can do your little hard man routine over a keyboard then go for it  :D

Go on throw another dig to beef yourself up I'll give you a free shot  ;D

Offline Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #186 on: May 5, 2023, 05:01:05 pm »
Yeah, I'm serious. You replied to (quoted) my post - with a reply that made no sense.

Where did 'Fuck them' come from? I never wrote that.

Ah I get you. The 'fuck them' was just in context from what people had been saying and what you had agreed with such as sticking two fingers to the establishment and things like that.

You were agreeing that we shouldn't care about what anyone thinks right? So was just paraphrasing that's all.

Offline A Red Abroad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #187 on: May 5, 2023, 05:07:19 pm »
Ah I get you. The 'fuck them' was just in context from what people had been saying and what you had agreed with such as sticking two fingers to the establishment and things like that.

You were agreeing that we shouldn't care about what anyone thinks right? So was just paraphrasing that's all.

One man's 'paraphrasing' is another's 'putting words into someone's mouth'.

Enjoy tomorrow's game anyway. :)

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #188 on: May 5, 2023, 05:10:08 pm »

There's a reason why "Fuck them" is and always should be a starting point for us.

So yeah fuck anybody who gets upset or embarrassed over the reaction that shite will get.

I'll button my lip over your last sentence.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #189 on: May 5, 2023, 05:11:59 pm »
One man's 'paraphrasing' is another's 'putting words into someone's mouth'.

Enjoy tomorrow's game anyway. :)

You agreed with sticking your fingers up to them, not worrying about them, I think 'fuck them' it not exactly twisting things.  ;)

Plus everyone hates a pedant.  :)

Enjoy the game too, maybe we will hear your boos in the stadium from France. 

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #190 on: May 5, 2023, 05:12:10 pm »
all this talk over old big ears at this time of year

gotta love it

that joke been done yet?
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #191 on: May 5, 2023, 05:15:16 pm »
all this talk over old big ears at this time of year

gotta love it

that joke been done yet?
Needs a flag: “WHAT’S YOUR PROBLEM? WE LOVE OLD BIG EARS”

Offline Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #192 on: May 5, 2023, 05:15:36 pm »

There's a reason why "Fuck them" is and always should be a starting point for us.

So yeah fuck anybody who gets upset or embarrassed over the reaction that shite will get.

I'll button my lip over your last sentence.

No please go ahead and pick that apart in the way you want to instead of asking what I meant.

Why sit there foaming at the mouth to start an argument when one is sat right here waiting?  ;D

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #193 on: May 5, 2023, 05:16:24 pm »
Nobody is making us, the club have chosen to play it in honour of the King for us all to listen to. Just like good old North Korea.

The difference is, you'd end up in a concentration camp if you booed the DPRK anthem

Here, we get to upset the likes of Piers Moron et al.

Winner :)

Offline Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #194 on: May 5, 2023, 05:19:53 pm »
The difference is, you'd end up in a concentration camp if you booed the DPRK anthem

Here, we get to upset the likes of Piers Moron et al.

Winner :)

I thought we didn't care about what everyone else thinks?  That's been the part line in here ;D

Yeah, to be serious though if the club does go ahead and plays it we'll get shit for booing it so if it's going to be booed I hope it's an ultimate Goodison park at full time kind of boo rather than something half arsed.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: May 5, 2023, 05:24:33 pm »
I hope it's an ultimate Goodison park at full time kind of boo rather than something half arsed.

The booing tomorrow may be the loudest boo we've ever heard at Anfield.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #196 on: May 5, 2023, 05:34:01 pm »
The worst thing about this is that the c*nts in the media have already written the story and the story, on the front and back pages, won't just be about the booing, it'll be about Eurovision and how we are disrespecting Ukraine by booing an anthem that is shite, and has fuck all to do with the UK, its about one person born into a family of priviledge. Shame on the c*nts who will write that shite, but they will gleefully do it.

Normally I wouldn't give a fuck, I've booed the anthem myself, but for tomorrow only, the crowd should do what they don't expect and just be quiet, that'll fuck their stories up.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #197 on: May 5, 2023, 05:45:05 pm »
The worst thing about this is that the c*nts in the media have already written the story and the story, on the front and back pages, won't just be about the booing, it'll be about Eurovision and how we are disrespecting Ukraine by booing an anthem that is shite, and has fuck all to do with the UK, its about one person born into a family of priviledge. Shame on the c*nts who will write that shite, but they will gleefully do it.

Normally I wouldn't give a fuck, I've booed the anthem myself, but for tomorrow only, the crowd should do what they don't expect and just be quiet, that'll fuck their stories up.
“Anfield disrespects the national anthem by not singing it”

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #198 on: May 5, 2023, 05:46:14 pm »
Forced by who? The other Premier League clubs?

Andy makes a great point above. Our club have been silent for over 30 years on Hillsborough chants, but bow down to a request to play a national anthem for a monarchy we don't want? They're pathetic.
The premier league have essentially forced us to either be the club that doesn’t do it and it makes it a news story. Or, be the club that is pretty much compelled to do it, there’s booing and it’s a news story.

Rock and a hard place.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Boston always unofficial

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #199 on: May 5, 2023, 05:55:14 pm »
I won’t take my seat until that shitshow is over.  Be funny as fuck if everyone else did the same and the stadium was empty.

That's what i used to do at Revolution games wait till the American anthem was done then go in,it shouldn't be played at any club games unless a special occasion kinda like a minutes silence,which is way over done now but  ya may not like it or them but suck it up stay silent and  move the fuck on to the important stuff getting 3 points.