Author Topic: Booing Players  (Read 3257 times)

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
Booing Players
« on: April 16, 2023, 09:29:30 am »
I see that Sanchez was booed repeatedly for Spurs yesterday, for the simple reason that he’s not very good. The current league leaders Arsenal have definitely booed their players in the past.

Has this ever happened at Anfield? Maybe I’m being naive but I honestly can’t recall it. I know Lucas struggled early on to win fans over, but was he ever actually booed?

Just to reiterate, this is booing purely because of a players performance, not anything off-field related.

Offline red1977

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Booing Players
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2023, 09:44:04 am »
load of entitled shite booing. Support, don't go the game and do the opposite. Don't think we need to cast our minds back to think of a time when one of our own got booed. More be happy we don't see fit to do it.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2023, 09:46:50 am by red1977 »

Offline JRed

• After a 2L bottle of strongbow I’d do anything!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2023, 09:45:59 am »
Aslong as a player is trying they should never be booed by fans, if they’re shit then that’s in the manager/club for playing them.
Only exceptions would be the likes of Diouf.

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2023, 09:49:41 am »
Didn't the team get booed when we drew 0-0 at home against West Ham in 08/09, when it took us top?

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2023, 10:00:13 am »
load of entitled shite booing. Support, don't go the game and do the opposite. Don't think we need to cast our minds back to think of a time when one of our own got booed. More be happy we don't see fit to do it.
This was actually why I brought it up though. I thought about how often United have also booed players in recent years and was glad I couldn’t remember a time when we did similar.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2023, 10:17:09 am »
I see that Sanchez was booed repeatedly for Spurs yesterday, for the simple reason that he’s not very good. The current league leaders Arsenal have definitely booed their players in the past.

Has this ever happened at Anfield? Maybe I’m being naive but I honestly can’t recall it. I know Lucas struggled early on to win fans over, but was he ever actually booed?

Just to reiterate, this is booing purely because of a players performance, not anything off-field related.

Rarely while on the pitch. Substitutions have been booed (Lucas and others) when the player is coming on or off, or ironic cheers when a player is subbed. Shithouse things like that. There's certainly games where the players/team have got dogs abuse coming off after a bad result, some games at Stoke or Burnley for example where the tunnel was right at the away end.

I recall Karius getting shit in a pre-season game at Tranmere, just after Kiev, but then that wouldn't be representative of the usual away support.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2023, 10:27:04 am »
Didn't the team get booed when we drew 0-0 at home against West Ham in 08/09, when it took us top?
I hate booing and am glad that it's never been a big thing at Anfield compared to other clubs. but to be fair United had two games in hand because they were at the club world cup. Ultimately it was that shit spell of drab draws that cost us that year.

Offline Macc77

• Anny Roader
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2023, 10:41:45 am »

I think it was our second 0-0 home draw in a week when we had a real chance to get a lead over United. I think the overall feeling was not that we'd gone top but that we'd blown 4 points in a week at home when we had a chance to get a decent lead. Those draws and a load of others ultimately cost us that season.

I still think the booing was out of order, and I've never done it, but I do remember thinking we'd messed the week up and would regret it.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2023, 10:44:21 am by Macc77 »

Offline Cormack Snr

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2023, 06:00:45 pm »
I went to Strasbourg when we got 3-0, it was a hell of a journey by road and after the match the thousand or so Liverpool supporters were behind the goal and as the players came down at the end of the game probably half were booing them.
All the players turned around and walked away apart from Paul Ince who was shouting Fuck-Off and putting two fingers up to the travelling Reds.
He would of been tucked up in bed a few hours later while we were trying to get comfortable on our Barnes Travel coach..

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2023, 06:04:29 pm »
Lucas was booed when he came on as a sub once. Can't remember the opposition or context. Presumably came on at the expense of someone more attacking maybe
It's wonderful, it's marvellous, it's 3-3

Offline smithy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2023, 06:13:54 pm »
Lucas was booed when he came on as a sub once. Can't remember the opposition or context. Presumably came on at the expense of someone more attacking maybe

Was that Everton away? Replaced Gerrard and helped win the game iirc .

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2023, 06:14:22 pm »
Shithouses booing players unless they are opposition.

Offline BornRedSince76

• Main Stander
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2023, 07:36:35 pm »
If a player is putting in 100% then booing is a disgrace irrespective of how bad a player may be etc. 

Offline BornRedSince76

• Main Stander
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2023, 07:37:19 pm »

Lucas wasn’t booed, it was the substitution decision being questioned by fans.

Offline ianburns252

• RAWK Economist not the MP spelling and Crosby background differentiate
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Gentleman in the streets; freak in the spreadsheet
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2023, 07:42:55 pm »
Lucas wasn’t booed, it was the substitution decision being questioned by fans.

Regardless of if it was directly at him, it was in his direction - whether it is the player or the decision doesn't matter, the player doesn't know what everyone is thinking and so it will affect them.

Offline BornRedSince76

• Main Stander
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2023, 07:53:34 pm »
Regardless of if it was directly at him, it was in his direction - whether it is the player or the decision doesn't matter, the player doesn't know what everyone is thinking and so it will affect them.

Don’t disagree, but given the thread title the response is in that context.

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2023, 08:01:36 pm »
i think sometimes a collective 'groan' can be seen by some as booing when in reality it's just a disappointed reaction from the crowd
Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2023, 08:02:29 pm »
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO S!

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO S!

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2023, 09:08:20 pm »
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO S!

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO S!

Samie needs booze...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2023, 09:55:09 pm »

Believe Lucas Leiva was booed onto the pitch in his first season

Offline Kalito

• Legacy Fan
  • ***JFT97***
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2023, 11:11:59 pm »
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Mr Bill Shankly

"be careful of media, they can make you hate the oppressed and love the oppressors." - Malcolm X

The notion that an Occupier is defending itself is as absurd as the notion that the rapist is defending itself from the victim.

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2023, 11:14:03 pm »
Lucas comes to mind.
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Online johnathank

• youverymuch
  • Main Stander
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2023, 03:37:56 am »
I was saying “Boocus Leiva”

Offline mullyred94

• Legacy Fan
  • Darwin Nunez's lovechild
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2023, 05:36:06 am »
Lucas comes to mind.

Wasn’t it more booing the decision to take off Gerrard at 1-1?

Offline groove

• eeeeee baby!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2023, 07:54:53 am »
Lucas was booed at Anfield. In his first season. At like 21 years old. It was only like 1 in 10 people or something but it was obviously noticeable. Only time I remember our own fans having arguments in the ground about it.

Offline groove

• eeeeee baby!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2023, 07:58:05 am »
Was basically a bunch of day trippers booing then a load of other people telling them to shut the fuck up.

Offline JRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2023, 09:38:15 am »
I think because Lucas was Brazilian, some people were expecting him to be a Zico . Some people just don’t understand football.

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2023, 09:55:34 am »
IIRC there was a game the fans walked out of to protest rising ticket prices, we were winning 2-0 when the walk out happened and then drew 2-2 and the players were booed at the final whistle.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2023, 09:58:49 am »
IIRC there was a game the fans walked out of to protest rising ticket prices, we were winning 2-0 when the walk out happened and then drew 2-2 and the players were booed at the final whistle.

Sunderland in Klopp’a first season. Adam Johnson scored for them whilst awaiting trial I think. Last game or goal for them.

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2023, 10:17:53 am »
Sunderland in Klopp’a first season. Adam Johnson scored for them whilst awaiting trial I think. Last game or goal for them.

Thanks, I remembered it being a crap team but couldn't remember which one.

Offline Speedy Molby

• Not as fat as his name suggests but is still a bad formby wool :)
  • Campaigns
  • Kopite
  • Satire? In Wigan?
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2023, 10:19:01 am »
Kevin MacDonald was booed in 1984/5. It was our worst season in 10 years and he became a scapegoat.
I am alone now. I am beyond recrimination. The curtains have shut, the furniture has gone. I am transforming. I am vibrating. I am glowing. I am flying. Look at me now.

Offline Baby Huey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2023, 11:11:23 am »
You’ve got one job at the game; support the team. Anyone who
Boos is a c*nt.

I remember being at Villa in 76 and we were losing 5-1 at half time…this was the team that would win the league and UEFA CUP that year, no one booed or bitched, we did a conga though.

The pub after the game is where you can vent not the ground. One job, support the team - good times, bad times.

Offline Jwils21

• Justwindy,innit,lowestspeed21 (knots)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2023, 11:18:19 am »
It'll only get worse. The old school football fan is being rapidly replaced by the Twitter influenced banter brigade entitled dickhead. Starts off with "Who are ya", develops into "Easeh Easeh", then into "You're shit aaaaaaaahhhh" on goal kicks. It's the instant gratification generation who see City winning 4-0 and 5-0 against dross every week and think we need to be at the same level, or we're shit.

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2023, 11:25:04 am »
I think this stuff comes with a certain set of circumstances. Being an Everton or Spurs supporter brings very specific grievances with it. Your team never wins anything despite being a heritage 'big club', you never really progress and false dawns end in disappointment. Of course, they're very different football clubs in different states of health but the context of these clubs gives fans a real reason to be unhappy. Liverpool have had lean times and disappointments, but it's never been bad enough for long enough for fans to get really viscerally angry at the players.

Offline stewy17

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2023, 11:35:14 am »
They'll be booing at City as soon as they drop off for a season or so. Guaranteed.

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2023, 11:45:26 am »
They'll be booing at City as soon as they drop off for a season or so. Guaranteed.
Possibly. I don't think the long-time City fans will do that.

Offline stewy17

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2023, 11:55:17 am »
Possibly. I don't think the long-time City fans will do that.

Pretty sure they've booed them off the pitch this calendar year.

Edit: Here we go - https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/manchester-city-fans-boos-spurs-29002575

Offline JRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2023, 12:13:47 pm »
As soon as Saudi takeover as the sportswashing club of choice and overtake Abu Dhabi in the league then they will be booing like an Evertonian

Offline Macc77

• Anny Roader
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2023, 02:05:20 pm »
As soon as Saudi takeover as the sportswashing club of choice and overtake Abu Dhabi in the league then they will be booing like an Evertonian

And those lot up there booed Newcastle off after the 0-0 home draw with Leeds over Christmas. I think they'd won 4 or 5 on the spin either side of the WC and they got booed off for a draw. I also remember Keegan having a pop at them for booing after the odd home defeat back in the 90s. For all their talk of just wanting their club to compete, they have a collective memory lapse and quickly turn on their side up there. The fallout from their defeat at the weekend has been ridiculous, again after a 5 match winning run and sat in the top 4.

We have always (I hope) aimed to be better, to be different, and more often than not we succeed.

Offline BornRedSince76

• Main Stander
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2023, 06:11:49 pm »
Was basically a bunch of day trippers booing then a load of other people telling them to shut the fuck up.

Yeah day trippers. In fact, I stubbed my toe on a door frame today, I think I’ll blame the day trippers for that too, oh and I put too much milk in my tea, bloody day trippers again no doubt…