Author Topic: Leaving before the final whistle.  (Read 17163 times)

Offline scouse neapolitan

• Legacy Fan
Re: Leaving before the final whistle.
« Reply #240 on: December 2, 2016, 07:09:08 pm »
Just heard that the club are introducing a new rule:
Anyone leaving early has to hand in their ticket stub to be scanned. Getting off early incurs the following punishments:
 Ten minutes from the end  the offender is  suspended for two games.
Fifteen minutes , the'yre suspended for  four games,
Twenty minutes, and serial offenders have to go to the Liverpool Football Club official supporters' rehabiltation course held every Saturday afternoon. The course includes, compulsory song-learning, flag-making , and a street knowledge course of good parking in Liverpool 4 to avoid problems after the final whistle. During the course they will also have to watch videos of famous last minute victories.

Offline Haemoglobin

• The Phantom Drive-By Dunker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #241 on: December 2, 2016, 07:40:04 pm »
For most of fans it's a bit of both.

A lot of people on this forum  are obsessed with football. I've seen many posts before from people saying how they are in a bad mood for the rest of the week after a bad result. You only have to read this thread to see how seriously people take it and how they think a supporter should act.  The vast majority of football fans are not like this. For most people it's a bit of fun and something to look forward to and be excited about. It's something to chat with their friends about. Most don't get upset if their team loses, mainly because they have more important stuff going on in their lives.

I love football but I am shocked at how seriously grown men take it on here.

As for people leaving early, I couldn't care less. Happens at most grounds.
I'm not obsessed, I'm a very casual supporter indeed really, and if I hadn't been born and lived in the city and so hadn't been indoctrinated into LFC by family members from quite a young age, I doubt I would be that into football at all. My thing's always been more music, film, literature, etc. and I most certainly wasn't the athletic sporty type in school.

All that said, I too have a problem with half-arsed fans leaving early to avoid a bit of slow traffic, especially when it dismays the manager. And if you try to couch the issue as another superfan vs normal people debate, you're missing all the vital nuances, just like both sides of the local vs OOT arguments tend to.

"Normal" not-so-arsed customer-type fans don't generate the type of scintillating heightened-emotion atmospheres everyone buzzes off witnessing, because it doesn't matter that much to them either way. They won't belt out a song in proud passionate consolation to a defeated team, they won't inspire a fightback, they won't fill the air with urgency and romance. You pander too much to the ones who aren't arsed, and any good thing will go to shit in no time. In music terms, I for one am fucking glad that John Peel was obsessed, 'not normal'.
"under-promise and over-deliver"

Offline LJA

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #242 on: December 2, 2016, 08:29:16 pm »
I'm not obsessed, I'm a very casual supporter indeed really, and if I hadn't been born and lived in the city and so hadn't been indoctrinated into LFC by family members from quite a young age, I doubt I would be that into football at all. My thing's always been more music, film, literature, etc. and I most certainly wasn't the athletic sporty type in school.

All that said, I too have a problem with half-arsed fans leaving early to avoid a bit of slow traffic, especially when it dismays the manager. And if you try to couch the issue as another superfan vs normal people debate, you're missing all the vital nuances, just like both sides of the local vs OOT arguments tend to.

"Normal" not-so-arsed customer-type fans don't generate the type of scintillating heightened-emotion atmospheres everyone buzzes off witnessing, because it doesn't matter that much to them either way. They won't belt out a song in proud passionate consolation to a defeated team, they won't inspire a fightback, they won't fill the air with urgency and romance. You pander too much to the ones who aren't arsed, and any good thing will go to shit in no time. In music terms, I for one am fucking glad that John Peel was obsessed, 'not normal'.

Huge difference between not being obsessed and not being arsed. Some people love their football, will join in with creating an atmosphere but would rather miss a few minutes of the game in order to save a lot of time getting home. People have busy lives and missing a few minutes isn't a big deal (not that I would leave early). Now I think about it, there isn't anything wrong with fans who don't want to sing either.

This isn't a Liverpool thing. It happens everywhere. I was in Ipswich for around a year and went to their games during that time. People left early there as well, this was a 30000 stadium that was half full but the roads were always gridlocked afterwards. I was sensible and walked.

« Last Edit: December 2, 2016, 08:36:54 pm by LJA »

Offline Haemoglobin

• Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #243 on: December 2, 2016, 09:31:56 pm »
I understand it happens in loads of other grounds, but our manager himself has expressed his concerns about it! Not even considering responding to a call from Klopp himself kind of does smack a bit of non-arsedness, in my opinion.

It may not be a problem when it's a small minority, just like a ground can still be loud and atmospheric with sections just watching and not singing. But when that minority grows and grows, and are very visible too, does it forever remain a non-issue?

You'll obviously miss some of that atmosphere not sticking around, and if enough people leave with you, it actually noticably changes the mood of the place. It might well happen everywhere, but Anfield isn't everywhere - what Ipswich fans do doesn't matter; the idea that we do things differently, better, is valuable to our culture, I reckon. And as well as creating something of a reputation to live up to - which you might consider a negative pressure placed upon matchgoing folk just looking for a fun time, to dress and behave in a certain way strictly in line with our peculiar terrace ettiquette - it also creates a strong communal identity and often a siege mentality when needed.

Plus, many people who make sure to stay behind have busy lives too. It's not really fair on them to imply that they can afford to do it because they're manchildren (guilty as charged though, myself).  ;D

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #244 on: December 2, 2016, 09:42:00 pm »
And we're paying such high prices because those with a bit of spare cash who happen to fancy catching 83 minutes of a football game keep coming in their droves and supply and demand has gone tits up.

If you are only half arsed, or 80% arsed even, fair enough it doesn't make you a worse person. But you're taking the seat of someone 100% arsed.
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline Billy Elliot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #245 on: December 2, 2016, 09:54:15 pm »
And we're paying such high prices because those with a bit of spare cash who happen to fancy catching 83 minutes of a football game keep coming in their droves and supply and demand has gone tits up.

If you are only half arsed, or 80% arsed even, fair enough it doesn't make you a worse person. But you're taking the seat of someone 100% arsed.

I reckon I'm around 70% arsed.  Be careful what you wish for, there's far more 25% arsed people waiting to take my seat than 100% arsed.
With me 3 star jumper half way up me back!

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #246 on: December 2, 2016, 10:15:44 pm »
Really struggling to get my head around this Manc family tree. So did the sister or the mum have the baby? Or is it some sort of inbred Manc thing and they're the same person? Cant figure out what's going on here.

No offence intended towards your good lady wife of course  :wave

Didn't word it very well, the Ma was minding the baby while the wife and her sister where at the game.

See, if I lived 5 minutes drive from the ground I'd just walk.....

Its up the dual carriageway from the M60, takes about 5 minutes in the car but its about 3 to 4 miles in distance, so you're looking at about an hours walk.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #247 on: December 2, 2016, 10:20:14 pm »
I reckon I'm around 70% arsed.  Be careful what you wish for, there's far more 25% arsed people waiting to take my seat than 100% arsed.

True. Maybe there aren't 53,000 100% arsed who can get in.

I reckon if the tickets were 20 quid and you could spend the extra 20 quid on more ale and stand with your mates, that extra 30% would start to surface.
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline Haemoglobin

• Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #248 on: December 2, 2016, 10:30:59 pm »
Disposable income and arsedness in life do seem to be inversely proportional  :D

Offline Fluke

• aka the recently dismissed General Consensus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop.
Look down, look down, you'll always be a slave.
Look down, look down, you're standing in your grave.

Offline SingFongFC

• Kopite
  • L-I-V, E-R-P, Double O L, Liverpool FC
« Reply #250 on: December 3, 2016, 01:21:01 am »
Bottom line for me is that Klopp himself keeps re-asserting that we've all got a job to do.

Absolutely anything can happen in the last 15 or so minutes of a match, so unless we're 4 up and in cruise control, assuming the win's in the bag is mighty complacent, and certainly not befitting followers of a club like ours, who should by now be very accustomed to the possibility of late dramatic twists. Likewise, if you leave just assuming we've already been beaten or can't possibly nab the required points, then that's a bit rubbish in another way for a football supporter; you're there really to provide encouragement and inspiration right to the death, and lift them when their heads have dropped both during and immediately after the match - you aren't simply a paying spectator, that's for another sport.

Getting home a bit earlier just is not worth it considering how pathetic it looks, people streaming out of the ground with plenty left to play. You could avoid the rush by staying in Town for a bit, making more of a day out of it. Fair enough, if you're a regular matchgoer and a local there eventually won't be much new for you to see or do, but it's a small sacrifice that you should be willing to make if you want the honour and privilege of closely following the team as it challenges again.

Is us losing a complete waste of your time and money? It's just not a good way to think about it, purely in terms of personal convenience. You might well regret having missed those little moments later in life, and probably won't reminisce fondly about all those times you got home a bit quicker just to turn the tele on and watch some shite or other.

Great post. Sums it up perfectly for me!

Offline DyingAtheist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #251 on: December 3, 2016, 10:18:18 am »
You don't leave the cinema 10 minutes before the end of the film because the hero has just defeated the bad guy, do you?

Offline Igor Biscuit please?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
« Reply #252 on: December 3, 2016, 11:47:18 am »
Anyone here use their bike to get to the ground. What are the facilities like for parking them?

Offline Benitez Adoramus

• Main Stander
  • The reds are coming up the hill boys
« Reply #253 on: December 3, 2016, 02:45:02 pm »
Solution to this is all the people who want to leave early should leave at half time as there will be no traffic whatsoever and they can get home nice and early. It will also mean that they are not blocking the views of those who want to stay and support the team as everyone stands up at half time anyway.
One of the few singers left in the Kop

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #254 on: December 3, 2016, 03:18:36 pm »
Liverpool: The Perfect Fit – Jürgen Klopp’s Issue With The Anfield Atmosphere
2 December 2016 1:45 pm by Mike Nevin

HE doesn’t give a shit does he, old Kloppo?

There he is going nuts on the touchline against Sunderland; first berating one moaning, negative dickhead, then offering the whole of the Main Stand out.

After the game, my Dad — who loved Jürgen Klopp much earlier than I did — intimated that Klopp needs to be a bit careful. He reminded me, and stated correctly that the Main Stand, and indeed Anfield, is full of old men who feel the cold of a winter’s day. It is absolutely not a bouncing Teutonic hotbed of sinewy lads with their tops off.

We hear regularly this manager is the perfect fit for Liverpool and in many footballing ways he is, but the requirement for him to coach, cajole and rouse our home crowd goes way beyond the job description.

Klopp should be at Crystal Palace really; conducting their little mob of black-clad ultras. Instead, he’s director of an old people’s home, which stands on the footprint of the shrine which once rocked to a St Etienne beat.

The good news is that Klopp is winning this laborious, necessary struggle.

Our manager isn’t just winning football matches but winning a tussle of minds with our ageing, innately conservative, fearful home crowd.

Mercifully we have the master conductor. He’s nearly 50 (I know this because we were born exactly a month apart in 1967) but he breathes the fire of a young man. Thankfully Jürgen Klopp is athletic, hairy, angry and insane, and he’s just what we need.

Not so much the perfect fit as just what the doctor ordered; a sustaining medicine that keeps us old guys compos mentis for one last league title.

Imagine Roy Hodgson doing that what Klopp did last week. Not only would his peculiar form be contorted into the weirdest of shapes but his arm would probably come off, fly over the truss and end up in Dog Shit Alley.

There is a serious point to all this.

Klopp isn’t shouting at everyone because he wants to finish top four. This is all about winning the league. The fact he can’t say so publicly is an indictment of our timid mentality. Some of the old stagers won’t admit it; some of the new breed just can’t see it. And sadly, loads inside Anfield for a home league game don’t even feel it.

In my bit of The Kop, and no doubt in your seat or front room, Divock Origi’s winning goal last Saturday was celebrated like a cup final winner. Yes, greeted with the same relief felt when you find your cash-card but with unbridled ecstasy too. How annoying then to see on Match of the Day the lower reaches of the Kop, to a man wearing brown leather driving gloves, offer just polite applause.

Get on board, knobheads — or let the kids in.

The type of football Liverpool have played at Anfield this season would have had crowds from years gone by shouting about it from the rooftops.

“We’re gonna win the League.”

“We shall not be moved.”

“Ole, Ole, Ole, We are the Champions.”

They rained down from the Kop in anticipation of the next title. It was all part of the process, to give players belief, months and months before red ribbons adorned the trophy.

To air such songs now would bring shouts of “don’t jinx it” from those conditioned by years of waiting. The fear is that we’ll end up looking stupid; but that’s no way to embrace a title challenge.

When Klopp had his mad moment last week it was more of a wake-up call than a bollocking. He’s telling us we’re in with a massive shout and what’s needed is a massive shout – from the crowd.

Quiet hushed conservatism brings only anxiety that transmits to the pitch. Most of us are too fat to take our tops off but the least we can do is bring some energy to override the angst. Klopp has well and truly got our number and he’s calling us out – again. It’s a year on from his feeling “alone” moment against Crystal Palace and he senses that not much has changed.

If we’re going to win this title we all need to be on the same page and that means mirroring the zest, the brio and the balls this gang of young lads are bringing to the actual footy.

“I believe in atmosphere, I think it’s a big, big part of the game, part of the joy. Atmosphere is more than a detail…it makes everything easier.”

In my bit of The Kop, and no doubt in your seat or front room, Divock Origi’s winning goal last Saturday was celebrated like a cup final winner. Yes, greeted with the same relief felt when you find your cash-card but with unbridled ecstasy too. How annoying then to see on Match of the Day the lower reaches of the Kop, to a man wearing brown leather driving gloves, offer just polite applause.

Get on board, knobheads — or let the kids in.

The type of football Liverpool have played at Anfield this season would have had crowds from years gone by shouting about it from the rooftops.

“We’re gonna win the League.”

“We shall not be moved.”

“Ole, Ole, Ole, We are the Champions.”

They rained down from the Kop in anticipation of the next title. It was all part of the process, to give players belief, months and months before red ribbons adorned the trophy.

To air such songs now would bring shouts of “don’t jinx it” from those conditioned by years of waiting. The fear is that we’ll end up looking stupid; but that’s no way to embrace a title challenge.

What doesn’t make it easier is holding back, dreading the worst, not wanting to look foolish and generally being a miserable old twat. We may or may not win this league but let’s not die wondering. It’s better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all. Fight the fear with passion; embrace the tension and feed off it.

The players can keep their calm, and are ably demonstrating so through their patient, precise probing and an 11-match unbeaten run, but it’s alright for us to lose in the stands our shit. We should be kicking every ball and, for us, it doesn’t matter if we slice the odd one into the Kemlyn.

Injuries are mounting, games are getting harder, and goals will perhaps be in shorter supply. This is exactly the time when a team needs its fans; when the symbiotic relationship leans more on one partner than the other.

It’s colder, darker and the threat of points dropped seems more acute than during the heady days of summer and autumn. These are actually the periods when titles are won; when strength is drawn from adversity, everyone pulls together and we grind things out. I know because I’ve seen it countless times before from great Liverpool teams, and some that at times were distinctly average. In 1983/4, when we ended up with a treble in Rome, we were for the most part, fucking crap.

As we enter Advent, that we’re not winning by four, five and six every week isn’t to signify hopes about to be dashed or that “one of those days” is in the offing. From the mood of the crowd, that was nearly the case last week and Klopp was right to act in a manner that says “I’m just not having this — and neither are you”.

In Jürgen’s head, it is time to circle the wagons until we get dizzy. Or, at least until Philippe Coutinho is fit again.

While Klopp is very much the believer, many of his staunchest fans are still doubters. Nigh on 30 years of pain has seen to that. In that sense, Klopp most definitely is not the perfect fit with many of the lucky ones who are privileged to watch this title bid.

But, week-by-week, he is bending us to his will.

https://www.theanfieldwrap.com/2016/12/liverpool-the-perfect-fit-jurgen-klopps-issue-with-the-anfield-atmosphere/
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline LJA

• Main Stander
« Reply #255 on: December 3, 2016, 04:21:31 pm »
You don't leave the cinema 10 minutes before the end of the film because the hero has just defeated the bad guy, do you?

A few people have made posts like this. It's hardly the same thing is it? I doubt 30 people leaving the cinema causes traffic problems and delays people getting home.
« Last Edit: December 3, 2016, 04:23:20 pm by LJA »

Offline JP!

• An infinite ocean of joy. May in fact be the reincarnation of the Buddha.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Save us Fowler
    • Cranky Englishman - Yes, that's me.
« Reply #256 on: December 3, 2016, 05:14:36 pm »
A few people have made posts like this. It's hardly the same thing is it? I doubt 30 people leaving the cinema causes traffic problems and delays people getting home.

Depends, is it a multiplex?
I don't agree, he'd go to Legoland. Bye.

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #257 on: December 3, 2016, 07:13:14 pm »
All you need to do is look at the Etihad earlier and the Olympic Stadium now to see how embarrassing it is to see people leaving early and what they leave behind.

Stay and support the team, winning or losing.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #258 on: December 3, 2016, 07:31:19 pm »
All you need to do is look at the Etihad earlier and the Olympic Stadium now to see how embarrassing it is to see people leaving early and what they leave behind.

Stay and support the team, winning or losing.

A mate of a lad at work dragged his daughter out on 90 mins when City were playing QPR, soft c*nt denied himself and his daughter the best 3 minutes of their footballing lives, they only managed to get back in after Aguero scored.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #259 on: December 3, 2016, 07:42:40 pm »

A lot of people on this forum  are obsessed with football. I've seen many posts before from people saying how they are in a bad mood for the rest of the week after a bad result. You only have to read this thread to see how seriously people take it and how they think a supporter should act.  The vast majority of football fans are not like this. For most people it's a bit of fun and something to look forward to and be excited about. It's something to chat with their friends about. Most don't get upset if their team loses, mainly because they have more important stuff going on in their lives.

One of the main reasons we've got one of the best managers in the world is because he said he loves the way people on Merseyside live and breath football. That's why Liverpool is a special club, it hasn't totally succumbed to the "customer" style that most modern football clubs have, it still has it's own culture and way of operating.

If people don't get upset when Liverpool lose, i'd rather they were fucked off out of the ground and replaced with people who it means the world to. That'd improve the atmosphere tenfold.

I'm not sure why being a grown man means you have to stop caring loads about footy, but each to their own I guess
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline andy07

• Shat himself
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #260 on: December 3, 2016, 07:53:06 pm »
Feel the same way about footy as I did when I started going 46 yrs ago.  As my dad used to say, boring old people used to be boring young people.  If you are naturally lively and enthusiastic then that stays with you as you get older. What we lack is a younger generation who come to the match for the same reason as we did in the 70s and 80s.
We are Loyal Supporters

Offline andy07

• Shat himself
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #261 on: December 3, 2016, 07:57:49 pm »
Think we also have to differentiate between those that are on their way out ten to fifteen minutes from the end with the match in the balance and those who go on 90 minutes to beat the traffic.   I did one on 90 against Leeds to leg it to the car so I could get into work. 
We are Loyal Supporters

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #262 on: December 3, 2016, 08:01:09 pm »

That's a piss-poor post, and it sums up everything that is wrong with the issue.

I suppose you're one of those that'll leave when we're 2-0 up so you can go home early for dinner when there are thousands upon thousands who would kill to have the experience you're having and for whom it would mean the world.

Offline Billy Elliot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #263 on: December 3, 2016, 10:55:27 pm »
That's a piss-poor post, and it sums up everything that is wrong with the issue.

I suppose you're one of those that'll leave when we're 2-0 up so you can go home early for dinner when there are thousands upon thousands who would kill to have the experience you're having and for whom it would mean the world.

Just because you don't like what he said doesn't mean it's a piss poor post and I think what he says is probably the same as a lot of people who go to Anfield regularly.  There have always been people who went primarily to be entertained.  When I started going I'd say that around 25% of the people went primarily to be entertained and 75% went primarily to support the team.  Since then, football has became a middle class sport and has been marketed as a form of entertainment.  So that's what it is now for the majority of people, entertainment.  At one time it felt very tribal, as if we were going to war every week with a rival City or something.  People felt a big emotional attachment to the Club because they felt the club was emotionally tied to the City. 

Not that long ago, if we got beat it'd ruin my entire weekend.  I just don't get that anymore.  I can still enjoy the match as a form of entertainment but most of the time, it's not much more than that for me.  Occasionally a match will come along (e.g. United in the Europa last year) that has an old time feel to it and I'll momentarily get lost in it and feel about it how I used to.  Most of the time though it's just about meeting up with family and some old mates, having a drink with them and watching a match.  I've not always been like that but I don't think it's me that's changed.  Football has changed and the match has changed, and I don't feel as passionate about how it is now, compared to how it once was.

With me 3 star jumper half way up me back!

Online swoopy

• not a mod. At all. Like ever. And certainly not on the ticket board that's for sure. Not for want of trying. Can't spell Irmingham either.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #264 on: December 3, 2016, 11:02:39 pm »
A mate of a lad at work dragged his daughter out on 90 mins when City were playing QPR, soft c*nt denied himself and his daughter the best 3 minutes of their footballing lives, they only managed to get back in after Aguero scored.

Shoudln'tve let them back in.

Bet he was a Chelsea fan about 5 years ago

What a wanker

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #265 on: December 3, 2016, 11:50:49 pm »
How about not being able to leave at all.

96 Liverpool fans went the game and never came back.

Spread the word. http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=330676.0
« Last Edit: December 4, 2016, 12:00:56 am by Al 555 »
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Bold Warrior

• Anny Roader
« Reply #266 on: December 3, 2016, 11:58:33 pm »

Looks shit and the managers said it.Was getting home at 2am from every Europa League game last year and stayed to the end and to applaud the players off.They were the only tickets i could get my hands on last season.Cant get fuck all this season and i filled the survey in and said get more locals in the ground to help the atmosphere.
If anyones not arsed ill happilly have your ticket,sing through the game and stay till the end no matter what.Just something ive done for 40 years.If you get chance to go, appreciate it and listen to what the manager says.Hes the best one out there you know.

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #267 on: December 4, 2016, 12:49:58 am »
Leave the main stand with 5 minutes left and you lose 3 quids worth of football

I'm old enough to remember that £3 bought you the whole game, at the home of what was the best team in the world.

In those days going home early was reserved for the Kemlyn Roaders, they were famous for it.
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Online Historical Fool

• A fool in the present too. The ban on drivel from 666 has led to a remarkable increase in forum quality. Currently being spectacularly wooshed. Seemingly by, well, just about everything.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FSG EOTM June ‘23
    • Fenway Sports Group
« Reply #268 on: December 4, 2016, 06:21:15 am »
One of the main reasons we've got one of the best managers in the world is because he said he loves the way people on Merseyside live and breath football. That's why Liverpool is a special club, it hasn't totally succumbed to the "customer" style that most modern football clubs have, it still has it's own culture and way of operating.

If people don't get upset when Liverpool lose, i'd rather they were fucked off out of the ground and replaced with people who it means the world to. That'd improve the atmosphere tenfold.

I'm not sure why being a grown man means you have to stop caring loads about footy, but each to their own I guess

And thrrein lies the problem. How many people at the match actually live on Merseyside?
You're all too fucking serious, the lot of you. Relax, we don't really matter.

Oh, and we should have an in's and out's topic, stickied.

Offline The 1989 Brit Awards

• He may be of thome aththithtanthe if there ith a thudden kwaithith!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #269 on: December 4, 2016, 07:32:18 am »
Superfans out in force I see.

At the vast majority of games, very few people leave early. Last night was an exception (note I was not at the game). However, when people do leave early it is their choice. I left when the pen went in on Saturday (so missed injury time). That's my choice. Other times I stay to the end. Again, my choice. I've stayed to the end to congratulate the team after big wins and I've stayed to the end during tight games.

Tell me to give up my ticket or be a better fan all you like. I sing, I bounce and I support. And sometimes I leave early (normally as the board goes up for injury time).

Maybe I have kids and want to get home to see them (clearly I should give up my ticket to someone more deserving as Liverpool is more important than anything? Right?). Maybe I have a life outside of football (clearly I'm a shit fan then). Maybe I have work to get to (unimportant, Liverpool comes first).

You know what? 20 odd years ago when I got to go to Anfield for the first time as a 17 year old I made a promise to myself. That one day, I would earn enough money to go to as many games as I could. It wouldn't matter where I lived, I'd go. It took me a fair while but for the last 6 years I've loved going to games. It costs me a fortune and several hours of driving each time and I'm fine with that, because I love it.

And now that I've reached this point were I have the means to go to 15+ games a season, no-one gets to tell me whether I can or can't leave a game when the injury time board goes up. Particular not some faceless keyboard warrior. And as for it making me less of a true fan, or Liverpool not meaning as much to me as it 'should', don't tell me what this club means to me, or presume to think it makes you a better what? Person? Liverpool fan? Give me a break.

As for the Klopp statement, it was made with regards to droves of people leaving really early (82 minutes, similar to what happened last night). He was right on this (it was 2-1, not game over), but it, again, was an exception. Droves of people do not leave on 80 minutes week in week out.

I look forward to being told I'm a crap fan now.
I get the other side of opinions at its core (except for some of the more houlier than thou ones), but this is the most sensible post.

Offline davidsteventon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #270 on: December 4, 2016, 09:19:25 am »
I left on 75 minutes once because I was on a promise. It was not worth it.

Glad I've got that off my chest.

Offline andy07

• Shat himself
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #271 on: December 4, 2016, 10:05:26 am »
When we all left on 77 minutes against Sunderand it was a really eerie experience,  walking away being a mile from the ground.  checking phones etc for updates and some people do that every week.........or are they just not arsed and pick the result up in passing much later on.
We are Loyal Supporters

Offline LJA

• Main Stander
« Reply #272 on: December 4, 2016, 10:24:27 am »

Actually, I've never left before the final whistle in any game I've been to. This includes when I've gone to where I don't support either teams. I can't afford to go to games these days. You're wrong on both.

Think we also have to differentiate between those that are on their way out ten to fifteen minutes from the end with the match in the balance and those who go on 90 minutes to beat the traffic.   I did one on 90 against Leeds to leg it to the car so I could get into work.

Yes. There is a big difference between leaving after 80 minutes and leaving a couple of minutes early to beat the traffic.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #273 on: December 4, 2016, 10:49:28 am »
Yes. There is a big difference between leaving after 80 minutes and leaving a couple of minutes early to beat the traffic.

Why is there?

The game lasts until the final whistle has blown. Why does it matter whether the players and manager look up after 80 minutes to see fans streaming out, or after 89 minutes, or a minute into injury time?

Surely people can see the impact of sticking around until the end, roaring the team home? The whole point the manager has made, surely, is that as fans we can have a massive impact and a big part of that is being there with the team through the whole game?
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline BlackandWhitePaul

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #274 on: December 4, 2016, 11:10:38 am »
I've not left a game before the final whistle in my life, I wouldn't consider it.

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #275 on: December 4, 2016, 11:44:47 am »
Some just don't get it,they'll never get it-its just how it is.
The only way i'd try & express how others may feel is to ask whether those who leave early..
Would you leave your kids xmas panto early to beat the traffic?
Not a comparison so don't jump all over it.
The answer would be a resounding no.
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline BlackandWhitePaul

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #276 on: December 4, 2016, 12:11:07 pm »
I was at a game a couple of years ago against Arsenal when hundreds walked out when Arsenal went 4-0 up. . 

Go to the match, support the team from start to finish.     . :wanker

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #277 on: December 4, 2016, 12:45:56 pm »
And thrrein lies the problem. How many people at the match actually live on Merseyside?

We've got what 35,000-40,000 season ticket holders. All from Norway I suppose. :-P

True we get tourists and oot'ers but they aren't the major part of the support on matchday.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline Haemoglobin

• Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #278 on: December 4, 2016, 12:54:29 pm »
How mad is it to think that our manager, one of the very best in the world working currently, and one that we should feel privileged to be able to call our own (and do our damnedest to hang onto for as long as we possibly can), has actually felt the need to come out in public and politely suggest to us all that it'd be sound if more of our supporters would stay for, like, you know, the actual duration of a game... and those backing him up here are "superfans"!?! Lolz

The parameters of 'superfan' seem to be shifting into standard 'football supporter' territory a tad.

If Bill Shankly himself appeared to you one night as LFC's ghost of Christmas past, took you firmly by the hand, looked intensely into your eyes and said he wanted us to show more passionate support for our team right till the death for the rest of this potentially defining title-challenging season and beyond, only excusing ourselves in a genuine emergency, would you more or less tell him to go fuck himself?

"I pay me money to get in Shanks, I can do what the fuck I like la. I've got a nice convenient routine going, I'm not changing shite for anyone, fucking holier-than-thou superfan bollox. Now do one, ya spectral cunt"

Offline G a r y

• Sexist Pig. Wants to mate with Dan Bilzerian
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kop 306
« Reply #279 on: December 4, 2016, 01:33:10 pm »
Some just don't get it,they'll never get it-its just how it is.
The only way i'd try & express how others may feel is to ask whether those who leave early..
Would you leave your kids xmas panto early to beat the traffic?
Not a comparison so don't jump all over it.
The answer would be a resounding no.
Well seen as though my kids are the most important thing in my life, of course not. They don't even compare to Liverpool FC and never will. But I wouldn't be competing with 53,000 people trying to get home at the same time either.

It's been massively blown out of proportion this.

Its not like thousands get up and leave with 10 mins to go. I think a lot of people are similar to me, on the rare occasion you take the car leaving with 1/2 mins before the whistle with the game in the bag makes that trip home easier. If the game is still in the balance, you don't leave until the whistle.

No car, no issue. Which for me is 95% games.