Author Topic: The PL run-in  (Read 984825 times)

Offline King Kennys Pumas

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Attacking #20
« Reply #320 on: October 27, 2020, 04:51:32 pm »
Agreed, and despite all the gnashing of teeth, we did ok against Sheffield United, some of the midfield and attacking play was very fluid, and earned a victory. With Mane, Salah, Firmino, Jota in the side, you always have a chance. Onwards and upwards.

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #321 on: October 31, 2020, 08:39:14 pm »
It looks to me that we are going to win the No.20 ...

Online JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #322 on: November 1, 2020, 12:33:41 am »
There are only 2 teams that can win this league and they play in a week

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #323 on: November 1, 2020, 01:07:18 am »
There are only 2 teams that can win this league and they play in a week

And we’ve got ourselves into a strong position, despite all the problems we’ve faced so that even a defeat next week and it’s ‘in our hands’... far too long a way out to be saying that obviously but hopefully you know what I mean. Feels like we’re being written off but I think we’re only going to get better in the next few weeks and we’re already coming from a pretty handy base.

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #324 on: November 1, 2020, 06:21:01 am »
Even with so many injuries, we are still top of the league. Hopefully, we will have Thiago, Matip, Keita, Fabinho, Tsimikas and AOC back from injury in the coming weeks, so our position will be even stronger during the congested fixtures.

Online deano2727

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #325 on: November 1, 2020, 08:15:41 am »
Even with so many injuries, we are still top of the league without being close to our best. Hopefully, we will have Thiago, Matip, Keita, Fabinho, Tsimikas and AOC back from injury in the coming weeks, so our position will be even stronger during the congested fixtures.

Added in the bolded part. We will need to find an extra gear if we want to win the league. You'd fancy us to manage it. It also has to be said that none of our genuine competitors look solid either.

Offline Larse

• Kopite
« Reply #326 on: November 1, 2020, 09:12:07 am »
This coming week will be really exciting and show us where we really are. Would take a draw against Both atalanta and city, if we can manage that there is a good chance we can be top by christmas and well most likely top our group

Online MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #327 on: November 1, 2020, 09:57:04 am »
The thing is even without VVD, we are still the best team in the league. City will drop points no doubt because they dont seem to deal with adversity well. That's why a draw next week would be decent. I'm willing to stick my head out and say that IF we beat them, we'll finish above them.

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #328 on: November 1, 2020, 10:45:53 am »
Added in the bolded part. We will need to find an extra gear if we want to win the league. You'd fancy us to manage it. It also has to be said that none of our genuine competitors look solid either.

I doubt that we will see any team's best form this season, due to no real pre-season, and the increased number of injuries because of the congested fixtures. I'd be surprised if more than 85 points are needed for winning the league. That is less than 2.3 points per game, and we are on that course, even with our early troubles.

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #329 on: November 1, 2020, 11:21:15 am »
Not convinced it's a two horse race at all (despite being certain we were gonna walk it after the Chelsea & Arsenal games).

Think we're seeing right now exactly how tough this season is going to be, and there's at least another 8 weeks of this intensity to go. Injuries will play a big part, as will squad depth, as will mentality and fight. We're probably the best equipped to cope, but think it's far too early to be writing teams off or out of the race.

Also, from what I've seen there's little to no difference in terms of quality between City and a few others this season - especially with them missing Aguero, Jesus and Fernandinho. Think Spurs & Chelsea are just as likely to finish closer to us than City this year.

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #330 on: November 1, 2020, 10:05:23 pm »
I don't know.  Everybody else is extremely flawed in comparison to us and ManC.  Over time it should lead to a pretty clear advantage for both teams.   That's not to say we both don't have issues as well but they seemingly aren't as big as every other team whether it be from a squad or manager perspective.

Early days still but you have to like how we're handling everything that has been thrown at us and while the Villa performance was truly dire it seems so far to be a one off freak occurrence.  Assuming we get a good run of health (knock on wood) after this next international break then I think we should be setup really well for a good season and hopefully a vaccine or good therapeutics will be available come the end for the fans to enjoy it this time.

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
« Reply #331 on: November 1, 2020, 10:28:15 pm »
Even if City beat us, the thing with us is we get better after adversary, City get worse. That's why we're always favourites.

We're also top of the league, with our injury list being the best team in the country.

WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Offline Barrow Shaun

• Legacy Fan
  • Off the coach, through the park.....
« Reply #332 on: November 1, 2020, 11:07:22 pm »
I don't buy this 'only 2 teams' thing. It just feels like another Leicester-type season where anything could happen.
officially accepted RAWK source of information

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #333 on: November 1, 2020, 11:11:18 pm »
I don't buy this 'only 2 teams' thing. It just feels like another Leicester-type season where anything could happen.

If by Leicester you mean we only need 82 points to win the league? If so then we will easily do that.

Offline Barrow Shaun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #334 on: November 1, 2020, 11:13:14 pm »
If by Leicester you mean we only need 82 points to win the league? If so then we will easily do that.

We won't easily do anything. We very rarely do. Apart from blitzing it last year aside.

Offline keano7

• Legacy Fan
  • Alonso follows it in!
« Reply #335 on: November 1, 2020, 11:15:37 pm »
We won't easily do anything. We very rarely do. Apart from blitzing it last year aside.
And even that very nearly got taken away from us!
"Can't wait for this one me mates picking me up in a van"

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #336 on: November 1, 2020, 11:17:25 pm »

Ok then the year before last.

Do you really see us dropping our levels by 20 more points?

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #337 on: November 1, 2020, 11:22:11 pm »
It’s early days and we won’t run away with it like last season. But that’s ok, you can’t expect that every season and it would be ridiculous to live in fear of it not happening.

Given our recent record at City I’d say there’s a decent chance we’ll head into the next international break not top. It won’t convince me we won’t win it though. It’s a long season, even if it’s extra concentrated. If someone else goes top, let them be talked up in the media. Let people underestimate us. Just looking on the collective intelligence free zone on Twitter it’s clear loads of other fans have just seen the 7-2 v Villa and assumed we’re shit. Fine. Let Spurs get talked up. See if they go the way of Everton and Villa.

We might have a season where the unexpected teams challenge for longer. We don’t need to panic about it. Take care of our own business, get mid 80s and I’d be very surprised if we’re not Champions at the end of it.

Offline Barrow Shaun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #338 on: November 1, 2020, 11:33:28 pm »

Not really. But 80 points as opposed to 99 wouldn't surprise me right now. I guess a 7.2 defeat does that to you.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #339 on: November 2, 2020, 12:08:48 am »

I can see us dropping our levels by 20 points. City dropped that many last season. It happens, particularly when you lose a VvD for the season.

But I can also see us being pretty close to winning the league even with anything over 80 points. It's going to be a weird season and I'd be shocked if anyone got 90 points this season. The disruption of COVID means everyone's going to be just a little bit less organised than they would be otherwise - and there were only going to be 2 teams capable of it to begin with.

I'm pretty optimistic about our changes, but I expect us to drop more points.

Online JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #340 on: November 2, 2020, 12:33:13 am »

Based on 6 or 7 games... better to base opinions on the level teams and squads have achieved over time than what happened recently
The fact that we're top despite injuries and disruption should tell you its not an 'anything can happen' season

Lot of under rating City on here as usual .. the level they've put up over the last 3 years with the same squad tells you all you need to know - they're the only team that can threaten us until proven otherwise... and by proven that means a 25 games still within range of us

A good question to ask is to pretend we don't exist and then pick a team you think will finish ahead of City if you had to bet your entire net worth... there isn't one

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #341 on: November 2, 2020, 12:45:17 am »
Based on 6 or 7 games... better to base opinions on the level teams and squads have achieved over time than what happened recently
The fact that we're top despite injuries and disruption should tell you its not an 'anything can happen' season

Lot of under rating City on here as usual .. the level they've put up over the last 3 years with the same squad tells you all you need to know - they're the only team that can threaten us until proven otherwise... and by proven that means a 25 games still within range of us

A good question to ask is to pretend we don't exist and then pick a team you think will finish ahead of City if you had to bet your entire net worth... there isn't one

Yep.

I agree with the notion that 'anything can happen', but in practice what that means is everyone's going to be screwed by COVID one way or another and it'll still be us or City at the end of the season.

And to be honest, if we buy a CB in January I can't see us not being the heavy favourites. Our depth is going to really shine through this season, whereas a lot of other teams are going to get seriously caught out.

Online GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #342 on: November 2, 2020, 02:30:21 am »
Nice habit we're developing of scoring again very quickly after disallowed goals. Sends a clear message to the league that we won't be fucked over, and will keep coming at you.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #343 on: November 2, 2020, 03:58:52 am »
I wonder if the signing of Jota, #20, has more symbolism than it appears on the surface. Either way, No20 is coming home. Our. Fucking. Perch. It’s always been ours, we just let them borrow a seat on it for a bit.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Macca201188

• Kopite
« Reply #344 on: November 2, 2020, 08:23:21 am »
Game v City on Sunday is absolutely massive, not worried about how early it is. If we can win, we will have a bit of breathing space to them, and most of the others.
The reds are comin up the hill boys....

Offline macmanamanaman

• S art Arse.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Robbie Returns!
« Reply #345 on: November 2, 2020, 08:30:27 am »
I want to temper the positivity in this thread by saying: No, we won't win the league this season.

Chances are
- Something that can go wrong, will (another 2-3  key injuries e.g)
- Someone else out of left field will
- City will (after spending a billion in Jan)
- Football gets canceled after the virus goes out of control in its winter phase

No need to thank me for my optimism, I am a cup half full kinda guy
"A Football team is like a Piano: You need 8 people to carry it and 3 to play the damn thing" - Shankly

Offline kloppagetime

• Is severely disappointed with Liverpool’s performance levels in 2020, especially pre-season.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #346 on: November 2, 2020, 09:03:57 am »
Us attacking number 20 is being spearheaded by our attacking number 20

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #347 on: November 2, 2020, 09:44:22 am »

Totally agree. If City were in our position then this idea that someone else will win this league would seem mad. Obviously because we are involved, a number of people dont think we can.

Not surprising. Last season many in here had us finishing 3rd or 4th and the mighty Spurs finishing ahead of us.

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #348 on: November 2, 2020, 04:31:20 pm »
Not surprising. Last season many in here had us finishing 3rd or 4th and the mighty Spurs finishing ahead of us.
That seems to have started again, already. Seems like Appalled's ''the reality is...'' parodies are coming to life. Odd fanbase.
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline dutchkop

• has an issue with his phlemish phalange (bunch of jackals, leave him alone).
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #349 on: November 2, 2020, 04:49:25 pm »
Totally agree. If City were in our position then this idea that someone else will win this league would seem mad. Obviously because we are involved, a number of people dont think we can.

A Spurs fan mate - says we are business as usual top of the league.  Without VVD & Alisson (until recently) & loads of other injuries, plus the Villa anomaly - he cannot believe that we are top and still not even playing close to our level.

We will need to see where we are in Jan and who we bring in then as CB cover.

Offline Bob Sacamano

• Legacy Fan
  • Alleged Manc and/or Gooner
« Reply #350 on: November 2, 2020, 05:42:50 pm »
Far too early to draw any conclusions.

Positives so far:

- We're still able to grind out wins when not at our best
- Jota is absolutely massive for our attacking depth
- United and Chelsea still don't look ready to challenge. I thought with their squads one of them might breakout this year.

All depends on who the "real" City is. I still think they're really really good and we'll need 90 + points to win it. A win on Sunday would be put us in great position...essentially 5 points up having played a tougher schedule with them still to come to Anfield. 

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #351 on: November 2, 2020, 06:57:57 pm »
Game v City on Sunday is absolutely massive, not worried about how early it is. If we can win, we will have a bit of breathing space to them, and most of the others.
'

It's still too early to take the table too seriously but we could be 6th come kick off (and then City would be above us by winning their game in hand if they beat us). The top of the table could change hands 4 times between Friday and the end of play Sunday.

So it is a big game that'll really shape the mood going into the international break. If we're top after the start we've had with fixtures, injuries, Covid, Var, tough CL games etc it'll be miraculous. But it could go the other way if we lose.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #352 on: November 2, 2020, 09:03:25 pm »
We will win the league by at least 10 points.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #353 on: November 2, 2020, 11:27:22 pm »
https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/soccer-predictions/premier-league/

Fivethirtyeight currently has us about second favourites, and projects City will win with 83 points.

The third favourites are a long way off us.

I'd say that's probably about right at the moment, except I don't think we're anywhere near as far off City in terms of our chances.

Before VvD's injury I would have put us fairly comfortably ahead. With him out, I'd say we're very marginal underdogs. That's not a bad place to be.

Offline Danny_

• Amnesiac_
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #354 on: November 3, 2020, 12:07:40 am »
Ctiy game coming up.  Lets see how we do in it before I start to get my hopes up.  We have had terrible injuries this season and have 31 games still left to go in the league.  It is a very long haul and now, more than ever, I think we need a lead in the title race to have a shot of repeating.

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #355 on: November 3, 2020, 12:19:18 am »
We’ve definitely been spoilt the last couple of seasons. That kind of consistency and points scoring isn’t normal and as Nick mentioned above, we shouldn’t be afraid of that.

Most seasons there will be a challenge and most of the time we won’t win by a street. We will lose more often than we have, but we shouldn’t fall apart in half time or full time threads when we do. Just accept it’s part of the journey and we’ll win the next game. However even if it is likely to be closer I don’t think the games against City will define the season like they did two seasons ago, so even if we happen to lose to them this Sunday I still think we’ll win it.

Even without Virgil I believe we have the strongest squad and as long as we aren’t blighted by too many injury crisis’ we’re winning 20 this season, it just won’t be as smooth as last time round. Which might actually turn out to be more fun in the end.
« Last Edit: November 3, 2020, 12:21:54 am by duvva »
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline bornandbRED

• ... an ESL super fan. aka physioSTALKER
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #356 on: November 3, 2020, 01:24:50 am »
We’re still the most consistently dominant side in the league, from what I’ve seen. More or less guaranteed to sustain pressure for 90% of the game, even on a bad day. We even did this against Villa for large parts - although our defence and off ball play completely fell apart obviously.

We are also conceding from very few shots currently, which is a trend I expect to recede. Clean sheets will begin filtering through soon (no way we continue conceding the most goals in the league). Our current injury list suggests we’re at the low point of our season RE: player availability too. Get through City unscathed and I think we will have ridden out the toughest part of the season pretty damn well given the circumstances.

Online Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
:D

Online JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #358 on: November 3, 2020, 09:49:48 am »
Worth noting that the above graphics include our worst ever defensive performance vs Villa where we conceded 3.5xg in 90 minutes

Offline na fir dearg

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #359 on: November 3, 2020, 10:24:18 am »
The signings of Jota and Thiago have widened the gap between us and City imo ... just a pity we have suffered some injuries but I don't see any other team finishing ahead of us