Author Topic: The PL run-in  (Read 984779 times)

Offline simesy

• Legacy Fan
Re: Attacking #20
« Reply #280 on: October 25, 2020, 06:10:07 pm »
I think we could lose 3 or 4 games and still win it seeing as anyone can beat anyone else on their day in this league and already some unexpected wins against the "big" clubs from smaller teams. We certainly wont need any where near the same amount of points as the last 2 seasons I think 80+ will do it.
When you're in the penalty area & dont know what to do with the ball, stick it in the net & we'll discuss the options later"  Bob Paisley

Offline Simplexity

• Do we need the xity? (apparently not)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #281 on: October 25, 2020, 06:18:29 pm »
First time in a long time where I have no idea who will win it. If City end up winning it I will be absolutely amazed, they look a million miles from a title winning side.

Offline Wingman

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #282 on: October 25, 2020, 06:50:14 pm »
First time in a long time where I have no idea who will win it. If City end up winning it I will be absolutely amazed, they look a million miles from a title winning side.

No idea? Really? So how many teams do you think will be in the title race?

I’m predicting one. Us. Not by as much as last year, but at least 5 points clear at the finish line

Offline Reeves

• Back from the dead. Bit simples.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "THE DISTANCE BETWEEN INSANITY AND GENIUS.........
    • RAWK
« Reply #283 on: October 25, 2020, 07:20:06 pm »
Spurs to challenge this season? Win their game in hand and they're fourth. Great manager who can organise a defence, with a point to prove and looking deadly up front.
..........IS MEASURED ONLY BY SUCCESS"

RAWK - HJC Champions 2003
Former RAWK Scribe 2002 - 2004

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #284 on: October 25, 2020, 07:22:07 pm »
I don’t think anyone is capable of getting over 90 points this season. We might be but the CB position is a big worry. Fortunately no one else is either which is a relief. City have massive issues at the back and up front and if De Bruyne has another injury hit season there’s no way they can possibly win it.

Offline SinceSixtyFive

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We are Liverpool. Resistance is futile.
« Reply #285 on: October 25, 2020, 07:22:30 pm »

I beg yer fecking pardon?  :o :no

Offline Knight

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #286 on: October 25, 2020, 07:24:08 pm »
Spurs to challenge this season? Win their game in hand and they're fourth. Great manager who can organise a defence, with a point to prove and looking deadly up front.

They’ve definitely got a decent team again. Signings from last season have settled. They can’t defend at the moment though. And I suspect mourinho can’t fix that without breaking his attack.

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #287 on: October 25, 2020, 07:25:11 pm »
People need to calm down a bit about all this ''crazy season'' and ''I genuinely can't predict...''

It's been a weird start, but there's a pretty good chance things will settle down as we go into the new year, if not before.
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #288 on: October 25, 2020, 07:25:48 pm »

No chance.

But I do hope they are our main challengers because that means we are 100% winning the league. The only team that challenges that makes it 80-20 in our favour is Man City. Anyone else and it’s 100-0 in our favour.

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #289 on: October 25, 2020, 07:56:19 pm »

They've got the firepower. Mourinho will put his best team out in the Europa League and go for all the cups, so they'll be shattered by the run in and unlikely to keep Bale and Kane fit. You can't completely write off a side with Bale, Kane and Son in it though and coached by a manager who knows how to win titles. It's their best chance to win a cup though.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #290 on: October 25, 2020, 08:18:56 pm »
no

Online Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #291 on: October 25, 2020, 10:50:58 pm »
People need to calm down a bit about all this ''crazy season'' and ''I genuinely can't predict...''

It's been a weird start, but there's a pretty good chance things will settle down as we go into the new year, if not before.

From our perspective it’s not even been *that* mad.

The Villa game, thankfully, appears to have been a freak. Other than that we’ve won every other match bar a draw at Goodison which were extremely unlucky not to have won.

That performances yesterday was no worse than the one against Watford at home (or a few others) last season either - as ever we found a way to get it done.

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #292 on: October 25, 2020, 10:55:41 pm »
Losing Virgil for the season is a huge blow but I'll still be disappointed if we don't retain our title this season. We're yet to really click and after quite a tricky start, we're only a VAR mess away from winning 5 out of the first 6. The Villa result was embarrassing but hopefully down the line it'll turn out to be a freak aberration and nothing more (results have been fucking crazy all over Europe this season, so bare that in mind).

Our strength in depth from the midfield upwards looks good and the players still look hungry and motivated which is key. They'll also want to prove they aren't reliant on Van Dijk while simultaneously wanting to win things for him.

I think we'll get about 90 points and that should be enough.

Offline Larse

• Kopite
« Reply #293 on: October 25, 2020, 11:09:11 pm »
If all our players were fit Id have no doubt we are in a great spot. What worries me and most fans is VVDs injury and our overall CB situation. Only having one fit CB is worrying. If Matip gets and stays fit then I have no doubt of us winning the league.

I think we'll get about 90 points and that should be enough.

The way its looking 85 might be enough. If you look at City up until now there is no way they reach 90 points.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2020, 11:11:43 pm by Larse »

Offline Mr_Shane

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #294 on: October 26, 2020, 12:22:49 am »
Losing Virgil is a blow, but we know how to win titles now. The two players we cannot afford to lose for long periods of time are Henderson and Alisson. I would probably add fabinho to the list now because of Virgil's injury.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #295 on: October 26, 2020, 01:12:27 am »
It reminds me of a league table from the late 70s, just missing Ipswich  ;D

1 Everton
2 Liverpool
3 Aston Villa
4 Leicester City
5 Leeds
6 Southampton
7 Crystal Palace
8 Wolves

Offline Richie69

• Benefits from 20:20 hindsight because he owns a time machine and a perfect decision making brain.
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #296 on: October 26, 2020, 02:21:29 am »
They should really have 4 more points too, threw away two home games at the death.

They have a great forward line but the rest of the team is pretty average.

Offline him_15

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #297 on: October 26, 2020, 03:07:09 am »
Everyone seems average this year.
Believer

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #298 on: October 26, 2020, 05:36:54 am »
Except us.  If you take out the fluke Aston Villa game we've been the best and most consistent team so far.  Unfortunately we can't take out that game so peoples opinions are going to be affected by that but from a stats perspective we're the best team in the league and should only get better assuming we get someone on the field that can win some headers.

Offline PentaJ

• Boys Pen
« Reply #299 on: October 26, 2020, 06:37:15 am »
I know this is not a transfer thread and neither am I intending to turn this into one. But over the weekend links have emerged to CB`s. I know the sample size is small but based on the games so far do you guys think we need another senior CB or do we play out the season as it is. If we are to attack the title, we still need proper defense. Not advocating new CB will improve it but it will reduce the stress on players by a lot

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #300 on: October 26, 2020, 07:26:20 am »
If all our players were fit Id have no doubt we are in a great spot. What worries me and most fans is VVDs injury and our overall CB situation. Only having one fit CB is worrying. If Matip gets and stays fit then I have no doubt of us winning the league.

The way its looking 85 might be enough. If you look at City up until now there is no way they reach 90 points.

At the start of the season i predicted we would need 85 points and I am sticking to that. The only slight doubt would be that City lost 9 games last year but still clocked up 81 points.

Offline Knight

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #301 on: October 26, 2020, 07:53:09 am »
At the start of the season i predicted we would need 85 points and I am sticking to that. The only slight doubt would be that City lost 9 games last year but still clocked up 81 points.

Very few draws last season for City?

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #302 on: October 26, 2020, 08:18:46 am »
Think we'll walk it myself...the rest are all average/shite!
Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)

Offline Reeves

• Back from the dead. Bit simples.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "THE DISTANCE BETWEEN INSANITY AND GENIUS.........
    • RAWK
« Reply #303 on: October 26, 2020, 08:48:11 am »
I know this is not a transfer thread and neither am I intending to turn this into one. But over the weekend links have emerged to CB`s. I know the sample size is small but based on the games so far do you guys think we need another senior CB or do we play out the season as it is. If we are to attack the title, we still need proper defense. Not advocating new CB will improve it but it will reduce the stress on players by a lot

We can cope if our centre halves stay fit but if they don't we will lose points. And chances are they won't. Given what's at stake I think it would be prudent to buy another and treat Matip as a bonus when he's fit. We've not been this dominant for 30 years and in a few season may fall back again. We need to take advantage whilst at the top.
..........IS MEASURED ONLY BY SUCCESS"

RAWK - HJC Champions 2003
Former RAWK Scribe 2002 - 2004

Online JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #304 on: October 26, 2020, 08:54:30 am »

Yup ....teams have played 5 or 6 games after a severely limited preseason

Offline Morgana

• Legacy Fan
  • Sanity is overrated.
« Reply #305 on: October 26, 2020, 09:07:00 am »

Now the wheels are falling off Everton I’d be surprised if we aren’t 10 points ahead going into the New Year

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #306 on: October 26, 2020, 09:41:09 am »
We'd be 3 points clear if it wasn't for VAR and refs who don't know the rules.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline na fir dearg

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #307 on: October 26, 2020, 10:21:07 am »

good one  ;D

Online JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #308 on: October 26, 2020, 11:24:38 am »
Just checked fbref.com and we have comfortably the best xG/90 in the league - you can't put your house on xG averages of course but they're indicative

Given how many players we've had out but more than that one of our 6 games was the worst xG against game since Klopp came here (Villa obv) - that's pretty remarkable

Online Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #309 on: October 26, 2020, 12:04:18 pm »
Agree with those who say that not having fans isn't necessarily the cause of some of these strange results. City last season were dropping points often way before lockdown, the only reason they were even considered to be in the title race was because of their form the previous season. United have been terrible since that 'wonderful night in Paris', Chelsea are entering their second season with a fraud in charge so nothing shocking there, Spurs are Spurs and Arsenal have an awful squad.

The only real outlier is the Villa game and we've had those types of games before, albeit very rare and not as absurd (Watford/City last season, Spurs just before van Dijk arrived). The first few games always result in the odd team or two in the top four that you wouldn't expect, the only difference this season is the teams that you would expect to see there have mostly been out of form for a long time.

I do think teams like Spurs and Leicester have another great shot at top four this season, though the latter will probably struggle with injuries and fitness, especially as they're so reliant on Vardy.

Offline iamnant

• ...call me Adam
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bob Mortimer stan account
« Reply #310 on: October 26, 2020, 12:13:38 pm »
We'd be 3 points clear if it wasn't for VAR and refs who don't know the rules.
And it would have been a deserved win - not only should Pickford have been sent off, but obviously with the clearly onside goal.

The narrative would already be very different and more along the lines of where we are this season so far.
"If anyone at my funeral has a long face, I'll never speak to them again."
Stan Laurel

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #311 on: October 26, 2020, 05:54:29 pm »

I mean he hasn't been able to organise a defence in about 5 years.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #312 on: October 26, 2020, 09:37:47 pm »
Aguero out for a month according to the guardian.

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #313 on: October 26, 2020, 09:42:29 pm »
Aguero out for a month according to the guardian.

Tampon
Jurgen YNWA

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #314 on: October 26, 2020, 09:49:49 pm »
I think we could lose 3 or 4 games and still win it seeing as anyone can beat anyone else on their day in this league and already some unexpected wins against the "big" clubs from smaller teams. We certainly wont need any where near the same amount of points as the last 2 seasons I think 80+ will do it.

We lost 3 games last season and still finished wtih 99 points.  :D

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Marty 85

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #316 on: October 26, 2020, 10:15:53 pm »

This! Given teams never had a pre season and the situation with covid it was always going to be a bumpy start to the season for all teams. We will see a return to the mean pretty soon. We're only 5 games in for crying out loud. I know SKY/BT/Premier League want everyone to believe it's a wide open race but it's really not. We'll pull away soon.

Offline ljycb

• RAWK's Bullen Oracle of Wisdom & Knowledge, the Collective Voice of our Moral Conscience
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #317 on: October 26, 2020, 11:46:52 pm »
We'll pull away soon.

That City game next months feel massive. Still think it’s between just us two.

Online wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #318 on: October 27, 2020, 10:57:44 am »
That City game next months feel massive. Still think it’s between just us two.

I don't. City have been exactly what the table suggests - average. Not attacking well and still vulnerable. TAW Neil was comparing their xG values between this and last season at same stage, they're way down.

Whoever finishes above us wins the league I think. City don't look any better than Spurs from what I've seen.

If Fab & Gomez, supported by Matip, form a decent partnership - I think we win this league by about 10 points.

Online smutchin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #319 on: October 27, 2020, 11:42:10 am »

Aye, we're only six games into the season. Let's not forget that after six games last year, Bournemouth and West Ham were both in the top six.

Crazy Villa result aside, we've made a pretty decent start, all things considered. Long, long way to go though. Spurs are clearly improving but it's too early to talk about them as genuine title contenders. City don't seem to have progressed from where they were last season, but again it's too early to write them off. Can't see the table starting to settle down before the end of November at the earliest, but I do see every reason to believe we can retain our title.