Author Topic: What you eating on Christmas Day?  (Read 6502 times)

Offline Lo

• is Hamilton
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: What you eating on Christmas Day?
« Reply #80 on: December 6, 2007, 12:05:53 pm »
Just loosly shove some foil around it.

I always put the bacon on after seasoning butter, oil, salt pepper and a few mixed herbs and then take it when you want the skin to crisp up.

I always cook it the right way up.

Basting to me is as you said throw some juices on it every so often.

Have never stuffed a turkey, wouldnt even know where to start, arent you supposed to not do that anyway?

Hope that helps :wave

Offline Sat1

• Banned
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81 on: December 6, 2007, 12:12:02 pm »
Shall I stab the fuck out of it before doing everything?

Cheers for the info

Offline Maggie May

• A true Grandmother of Sirs. The Next Vera Lynne. The Pigeon Queen. Lobster Botherer Knockout Champ. RAWK's favourite gog. Belshie Gets Hard For Her. Call that a knife??
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit. Semper Fi
« Reply #82 on: December 6, 2007, 01:03:38 pm »
As im taking on the task of cooking the turkey I 've been doing a bit of reading, but might need a bit of help off the cooking experts here:

1) I should cover the turkey loose with foil, in a tent like shape. Yes? How? Meaning I can open the tent like foil from the top?

No.  You double the foil over to add extra strength to save it coming to bits.  You make like a hood of it, which you lift off and then put back from time to time.  What you also need to do is to put the turkey on an oven rack with a roasting size pan beneath, so as all the lovely juices fall into the pan.  The turkey is not sitting in grease and you can easily scoop up the juices to baste the turkey with.  And you tuck your "tent" in around the rack.

2) Seasoning it, give it a good old rub with butter or oil, then salt and pepper over the top?

Yes.  I prefer butter as opposed to oil - but there you go.

3) Cook it with the breast down so that the breast dont dry out? Normally seen them cooked the other way.

4) Streaky bacon, when do I apply that, at the start, midday?

Breast side up.  After you've liberally applied the butter/oil, lay the streaky bacon over the breast right away.  There is very little flesh on the breast bone, so you need to get as much lubrication in from the kickoff.  As the turkey cooks, the bacon will crisp.  No problem.  Remove the crispy bacon and apply fresh.  Reserve the crispy bacon and crumble it onto your sprouts.  You clever haute cusine person you.   ;)

5) Basting, just get a large spoon and pour the juices at the bottom over it every so on?

6) Im guessing the cooking time will come on the packaging or if I get from a butcher he'd tell me?

7) I might not stuff it in fear of poisoning everyone

5.  Yep.

6.  For up to 12lb weight it is 20 minutes per 1lb at about 320F/160C/Gas 3.  Over 12lb it is 15 minutes per 1lb at the same temperatures.  To test if it is cooked, pierce a thigh with a skewer or sharp kitchen knife.  If the liquid is creamy the turkey is cooked.  If the liquid is reddish the turkey requires further cooking.

7.  Non stuffed is getting more popular on the one hand, and traditionalists thrown their hands up in horror on the other.  Up to you really.

Shall I stab the fuck out of it before doing everything?
Nope.  Its a turkey, not a duck. 
Rather a day as a lion than a lifetime as a sheep.

I can only be nice to one person a day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
I tried being reasonable.  I didn't like it.  Old enough to know better.  Young enough not to give a fuck.

Offline Marcus6

• QueenOfTheSouth7 (steals food from children)
  • Legacy Fan
  • 6 ft 2, Eyes of Blue, Billy Bonds is after you...
« Reply #83 on: December 6, 2007, 01:05:02 pm »
My mummys cooking it, i don't need to know details :wave
From custard slices to menstrual waste in 4 posts. That's impressive, even for RAWK.

Offline Maggie May

• A true Grandmother of Sirs. The Next Vera Lynne. The Pigeon Queen. Lobster Botherer Knockout Champ. RAWK's favourite gog. Belshie Gets Hard For Her. Call that a knife??
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: December 6, 2007, 01:10:53 pm »
My mummys cooking it, i don't need to know details :wave

Brilliant.  There are times like this which remind me of how much I adore you Marcus.   :-*

I can only be nice to one person a day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
I tried being reasonable.  I didn't like it.  Old enough to know better.  Young enough not to give a fuck.

Offline Marcus6

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: December 6, 2007, 01:16:23 pm »
Brilliant.  There are times like this which remind me of how much I adore you Marcus.   :-*

;D

As long as I eat it all up she's happy. Even the sprouts :D
From custard slices to menstrual waste in 4 posts. That's impressive, even for RAWK.

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: December 6, 2007, 01:45:43 pm »
;D

As long as I eat it all up she's happy. Even the sprouts :D

You are, as ever, a darling.  After all that hard work, the most sincere compliment is a well cleared plate.  Well done you.   :champ

Offline dampaddy

• Can't anyone dry this poor mans addy?
  • Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #87 on: December 6, 2007, 01:47:51 pm »
Christmas is all about children.   I like them grilled, myself.

Offline Ben_JP

• Where is my file?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You've just got to let them know you exist
« Reply #88 on: December 6, 2007, 02:16:12 pm »
I'm having my first Christmas in Poland with the missus' family, so the big meal is on Christmas Eve (nine dishes or something like that). Christmas Day will most likely be chicken noodle soup followed by pork escalopes with mash and thick gravy. Later there will be plenty o' Polish cakes. I'm also taking a Christmas pudding over.

I'm going to be a blimp by Boxing Day :D
Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

XBL: MisiuPysiu / PSN: PysiuMisiu
Gamestyle articles what I wrote.

Offline Sat1

• Banned
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: December 6, 2007, 03:35:14 pm »
No.  You double the foil over to add extra strength to save it coming to bits.  You make like a hood of it, which you lift off and then put back from time to time.  What you also need to do is to put the turkey on an oven rack with a roasting size pan beneath, so as all the lovely juices fall into the pan.  The turkey is not sitting in grease and you can easily scoop up the juices to baste the turkey with.  And you tuck your "tent" in around the rack.

Yes.  I prefer butter as opposed to oil - but there you go.

Breast side up.  After you've liberally applied the butter/oil, lay the streaky bacon over the breast right away.  There is very little flesh on the breast bone, so you need to get as much lubrication in from the kickoff.  As the turkey cooks, the bacon will crisp.  No problem.  Remove the crispy bacon and apply fresh.  Reserve the crispy bacon and crumble it onto your sprouts.  You clever haute cusine person you.   ;)

5.  Yep.

6.  For up to 12lb weight it is 20 minutes per 1lb at about 320F/160C/Gas 3.  Over 12lb it is 15 minutes per 1lb at the same temperatures.  To test if it is cooked, pierce a thigh with a skewer or sharp kitchen knife.  If the liquid is creamy the turkey is cooked.  If the liquid is reddish the turkey requires further cooking.

7.  Non stuffed is getting more popular on the one hand, and traditionalists thrown their hands up in horror on the other.  Up to you really.
Nope.  Its a turkey, not a duck. 

Maggie, I love you. Thank you very much

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: December 6, 2007, 03:46:49 pm »

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: December 6, 2007, 04:09:32 pm »
Maggie, I love you. Thank you very much

You are most welcome.

And if you are unsure of how to prepare roasties or yorkshires, there is absolutely nothing to be ashamed of in going for Auntie Betty's (or similar) frozen best.   

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Semper in excremento, sole profundum qui variat.
  • Super Title: Coming soon! Official Launch May 2008
« Reply #92 on: December 6, 2007, 04:13:31 pm »
You are most welcome.

And if you are unsure of how to prepare roasties or yorkshires, there is absolutely nothing to be ashamed of in going for Auntie Betty's (or similar) frozen best.   

M&S do a fucking great pre-prepared roastie in goose fat which comes in it's own foil tray and everything.
I'm no longer on RAWK, but if you need to contact me about anything, you can email me on nigelmorrison@connectfree.co.uk

Offline so kop end lad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: December 6, 2007, 04:15:46 pm »
Same as every year, will eat soooo many sweets/crisps/cakes/mince pies and other goodies that by the time dinner is ready im more stuffed than the turkey!!

Offline BIGdavalad

• Major Malfunction. Yearns To Be A Crab! MOD Agony Aunt. Dulldream Believer. Is the proud owner of a one year old login time.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: December 6, 2007, 04:17:16 pm »
You are most welcome.

Auntie Betty's Yorkshires are lovely. Almost as good as homemade.
Joining Betfair? Use the referral code UHHFL6VHG and we'll both get some extra cash.

All of the above came from my head unless otherwise stated. If you have been affected by the issues raised by my post, please feel free to contact us on 0800 1234567 and we will send you an information pack on manning the fuck up.

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: December 6, 2007, 04:23:30 pm »
M&S do a fucking great pre-prepared roastie in goose fat which comes in it's own foil tray and everything.

Well there you are.  Two good examples from lads who love their food.  It doesn't have to be an ordeal you know. 

Offline flw

• Famous Last Words
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • History is made so we never forget
« Reply #96 on: December 6, 2007, 04:28:41 pm »
everything thats not good for me .Pig out day
If you have faith, you have everything.
Without it  , you have nothing.

If you are blind, you cannot see, If you are deaf you cannot hear, but if you are dumb God help you

We are like grains of sand, one amongst millions ,  and like sand ...when you walk this earth we leave behind out footprints

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...we had dreams and songs to sing...
« Reply #97 on: December 6, 2007, 04:29:03 pm »
Champagne and Strawberries in the morning no doubt, with a few beers

Champagne on Christmas morning is a tradition in my family too, everyone gathering as the kids open their prezzies and necking the shampoo in our pyjamas   :D

"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline nyctex

• God Bless America
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Close your eyes...and imagine it's Jason McAteer
« Reply #98 on: December 6, 2007, 04:45:53 pm »
Would love to do a Turducken this year - just for a change

A Turducken is a semi-boneless turkey that is stuffed with a deboned chicken that is stuffed with deboned duck breast. A layer of Cajun dressing is placed in between each bird to create six flavorful layers of stuffing and poultry.

http://www.cajungrocer.com/fresh-foods-holiday-dishes-turducken-c-1_15_24.html

Offline bryanod

• Probably in Boyzone with a name like that...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RPLP Champion 2012/2013 & 2013/2014 Double Winner
« Reply #99 on: December 6, 2007, 04:59:26 pm »
Would love to do a Turducken this year - just for a change

http://www.cajungrocer.com/fresh-foods-holiday-dishes-turducken-c-1_15_24.html

You are John Madden and I claim my $5.
Men of lofty genius when they are doing the least work are most active

- Leonardo Da Vinci

Offline gerrardspetal

• Rabid psycho nut harvester with no idea - but she did have some points
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • miaaaaaaaaaaow
« Reply #100 on: December 6, 2007, 11:43:20 pm »

Have you tried them Bisto ones ??  :lickin
“You could say it’s not about being local, but about being vocal.
Kristian is a idiot.  A bad idiot.  Also a virgin.

@gerrardspetal - twitter

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: December 7, 2007, 10:01:55 am »
Sat1.  Sorry.  I forgot to say that if you do decide to stuff the turkey, add 20 - 30 minutes to the cooking time.  And when the turkey's nearly cooked, take off the foil "tent" and the bacon to crisp the skin up. :wave

Offline Dragonshadow

• Needs to work on his grovelling.
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #102 on: December 7, 2007, 12:53:24 pm »
Well, I live on my own and I'm working all day so it'll be the usual of cornflakes for breakfast, ham and pickle sandwiches for lunch, follwed by probably a microwave curry for dinner!
"The supporters here are amazing, I am very happy, they give me a lot of support and we try always like Bill Shankly said to make people happy"

Rafa Benitez

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
« Reply #103 on: December 7, 2007, 09:06:40 pm »
Well it wont be the absolutely horrendoeus meat that is Turkey. Dry tasteless crap

Lamb and Mint sauce or Beef and Horse-Radish?

Who can tell?
If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Offline TheRedBaron

• Mock Conkey
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dont Fuck With Guillem Balague!
« Reply #104 on: December 7, 2007, 09:12:39 pm »
Well, I live on my own and I'm working all day so it'll be the usual of cornflakes for breakfast, ham and pickle sandwiches for lunch, follwed by probably a microwave curry for dinner!

God that is very depressing...think you've just ruined my christmas.
'Jimmy, I get home, I shut the curtains and I sleep'.

- Mascherano after running out of petrol, forgetting his money then being hit in his car on his way home

Offline Kez

• hallowed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: December 7, 2007, 10:55:49 pm »
Around 1pm - Take a stroll down the local for a couple of pints and toast baby Jebus.

Back to the house around 2.30, for a 3pm kick-off.

Starters
----------
Home made smoked salmon and prawn cocktail.
Medley of freshly sliced melons

Main meal
-------------
Roast turkey with sage and onion stuffing
Wiltshire Ham
Joint of Roast beef
Mini sausages wrapped in streaky bacon
Swede and carrots mashed with butter
Roast potatoes
Honey glazed roasted parsnips
Petite pois slowly shallow fried in water, finely chopped onions and seasoned with dill (trust me, they are beautiful! No oil required)
Gravy
Condiments: Cranberry sauce, Horseradish, Mustard

Dessert
----------
Choice of home made Christmas cake
or Christmas pudding coated in Brandy
or Mince pies.
All served optionally with Double Whipped cream or Vanilla ice cream

Evening
----------
Cold turkey breast and Helmans Mayo sandwiches.
Selection of snacks (crisps, Pringles, dry roasted nuts, salted nuts)
Selection of cheeses and crackers/biscuits
Selection of chocolates (belgium, ordinary Cadbury stuff)

Boxing Day
--------------
Selection of cold meats
Homemade chips
Selection of pickles, pickled onions, picked eggs (this used to be a family tradition, where we'd pile down to my late Nans and scoff her home made picked eggs and picked onions!)
Fresh white bread and butter (for the chip butties)
Condiments: mustard, Mayo

My mum truly is a legend of the kitchen :D

Apart from the salmon starter....have you invited yourself to my parents' for dinner and not told me? That's almost word for word our xmas dinner, especially the cold meats and home made chips on Boxing Day. Family tradition!

Offline Wait for it!!!

• Unimaginative pisshead!!! +!!
  • Kopite
  • hat, cap, scarf or your banner??
« Reply #106 on: December 8, 2007, 01:02:10 am »
We will be having grilled salmon with boiled potatoes and boiled veg with salad. On account of the fact the ccoker is knackered and has been for over a year!!
Keegan to Smith to Keegan and Newcastle were undressed!!!!!
Wembley Stadium May 1974 - as a 12 year old flared, stack shoed Alsop Comp LFC diehard. The joy!!

Offline Jason McG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: December 10, 2007, 02:49:52 pm »
Champagne and Presents followed by:

Carrot and Coriander Soup

Turkey, roasties, carrots and parsnips, sprouts, pigs in more pigs, stuffing and gravy (and yorkshire puds 'cos my g/f is strange)

Christmas Pud

Cheese and biscuits, Port followed by

an awkward silence as mine and Sam's family search for common ground and we decide to go and play family fortunes DVD or Triv and I start thinking 'right can everyone just fuck off now'. It'll be great!

I'm so fucking angry I'm rubbing my face!!!

Offline Marcus6

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: December 10, 2007, 02:54:12 pm »

You've made baby jesus cry :(

No family? Someone needs to adopt you for Christmas, no one can be alone at Christmas.

Online Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #109 on: December 10, 2007, 03:18:42 pm »
Christmas Dinner in the _F household:

No starter

Main
Turkey - free range with stuffing (with added sausage meat).
Ham
Sausages in bacon (selection of sausages)
Roast potatoes, parsnips and carrots
Mashed potatoes
Mashed swede
Brussel sprouts and shallots*
Peas, fine beans & carrots
Gravy (home made from juices and giblets)
Home made bread sauce
Cranberry sauce

*I boil the sprouts with some shallots (no too big) and when they are done quickly fry them in a little oil for a couple of minutes - add a few bits of bacon off the turkey and serve.... delicious.

Dessert selection from:
Mince pies
Christmas pudding
Stollen
Cream
Brandy butter
Custard

High Tea
Turkey sandwiches
Cold meats
Cheese selection
Pate
Salas
Pickles and condiments

Boxing Day:

Full breakfast

Lunch
Cold meats including Turkey and Ham from Christmas dinner.
Bubble & Squeak*
Chips
Salad
Pickles and condiments - gherkins, beetroot, Branston, homemade chutneys, mayo,
New potatoes

*Make sure I do plenty of veg on Christmas Day to make a good bubble and squeak for Boxing Day.

Tea/Supper as Christmas Day

I always make sure we have plenty of brown turkey meat for Turkey curry the next day.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Marcus6

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: December 10, 2007, 03:20:39 pm »

Online Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: December 11, 2007, 12:58:50 pm »
???

Never heard of that?

It's a German Christmas cake - with fruit and marzipan. Delicious.

Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #112 on: December 11, 2007, 01:02:33 pm »

No starter

Lazy c*nt!          :wave
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline Shazz

• Boutros Boutros Shazz, negotiator of world peace. Got the hump. Looking forward to 1,500 pennies from 24/7.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Happy Hump Day
« Reply #113 on: December 11, 2007, 01:07:01 pm »

No idea what we'll be eating or where for that matter.  :(

Oh, but we'll deffo have a Panettone.
http://www.voteswap.org/     

Get them out!

Offline Marcus6

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: December 11, 2007, 01:19:15 pm »
It's a German Christmas cake - with fruit and marzipan. Delicious.

looks nice

give me pudding any day though

Online Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: December 11, 2007, 01:19:38 pm »
Lazy c*nt!          :wave

No mate - keeping space for the good stuff.   :lickin
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline Sat1

• Banned
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: December 11, 2007, 01:48:58 pm »
I see that Nigella program and the joint of ham boiled in ginger beer and covered looked lovely. Might attempt that too.

Offline Jason McG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: December 11, 2007, 03:56:13 pm »
Stollen, mmmmmmmm.

If you haven't tried it, get on it! You'll thank him for it. Delicious with a nice cup of tea or a brandy.

There seems to be a lot of ham and yorkshire puds on here, me and the missus had a bit of a disagreement on this 'cos I said it wasn't right (yorkshire puds more than the ham). I said if you want them, you cook 'em. Am I wrong? Do the majority have yorkshire puds?
I'm so fucking angry I'm rubbing my face!!!

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: December 11, 2007, 06:10:15 pm »
Stollen, mmmmmmmm.

If you haven't tried it, get on it! You'll thank him for it. Delicious with a nice cup of tea or a brandy.

There seems to be a lot of ham and yorkshire puds on here, me and the missus had a bit of a disagreement on this 'cos I said it wasn't right (yorkshire puds more than the ham). I said if you want them, you cook 'em. Am I wrong? Do the majority have yorkshire puds?

Seconded with the Stollen.  It is really lovely, as you say Jase.  And Pannetone also - much lighter and lovely with a cuppa.

Yorkshires.  They seemed to be almost compulsory years ago, but appear to have tailed off nowadays.  But having said that, I saw two women nearly fight to the death in ASDA over the last bag of frozen yorkshires a year or so ago.  If you've got a mixed age group for dinner, best thing is to buy a bag of frozen yorkies.  Then (if you want) you can casually ask who likes them, and stick however many in the oven accordingly.  They cook from frozen and take only a few minutes.  Not worth the hassle of making your own unless you are a yorkie fanatic.  And if they don't all get eaten, they're cheap enough not to make any moment about, and the birdies are always grateful.

Hams and things.  I've been surprised by this too.  In ye olden days there was just the one Chrissie fowl.  Then came the turkey, which everyone went mental over, but then the poor turkeys were so mass produced that the quality of meat was low, and people opted for a booster - ham being the favourite.  But I have been surprised that people have said they have both ham and turkey for Christmas dinner.  I'd have thought ham would be part of the cold cuts on Boxing Day, or perhaps for New Year, or between Christmas and the New Year.  But then again, I am arl ..........

Helly

« Reply #119 on: December 11, 2007, 11:00:27 pm »
Plan at the moment is...

Melon starter (for -HH- read Pate with toast - fussy bugger ;) )
Turkey with lemon and thyme, beef, tons of roast potatoes, sprouts, cabbage, carrot and turnip, corn on the cob for Mark, Yorkshires, parsnips.

For dessert, strawberries and creme chantilly in a brandy snap basket, possibly with chocolate sauce dribbled over.  Fussy arse can have a banana split.

Obviously mince pies with cream after.

Never done a family christmas dinner before so i'm making it up as I go along.