Author Topic: Rox's Dog Advice Thread  (Read 397858 times)

Offline Slippers

• atennerandwesaynomoreyeah?
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Rox's Dog Advice Thread
« Reply #4520 on: March 12, 2021, 07:19:02 am »
Oh and my missus is obsessed with his paw pads. They’re so soft and pink at the moment, like touching a smooth squishy bit of skin, but they’re quickly turning darker and going rougher.

She’s going to get a shock how quickly he grows and changes I think!

When we picked up Scout in November my daughter kept touching her paws and exclaiming 'look at her beans'. ::)

Offline Ratboy3G

• Sworn enemy of Mousegirl5G
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4521 on: March 17, 2021, 07:00:23 pm »
We are hoping to get a dog this year after putting things on hold for the last 12 months (a few friends of mine got dogs before and during the pandemic, but I'm glad we waited).
I had a few questions for the more experienced dog owners on here. Both my wife and myself have had family dogs when we were growing up, but we are undecided on what breed to get. We have a 3 bedroom terraced house with a small front garden and decent sized back yard, 3 kids at primary school and myself and my wife both work so we'll need a dog that may need to be able to spend a few hours on its own in the mornings and afternoons (I can pop home in my lunch breaks).
Any suggestions for a suitable breed? I have done countless questionnaires online and seem to get a variety of responses, but we are hoping to get a dog small to medium sized who is good with kids.
I am a man of few words.....any questions?

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4522 on: March 17, 2021, 08:42:23 pm »
Most dogs will adapt to your lifestyle, but some will be harder (so for example a very energetic dog will happily be alone during the day but you’d need to make sure they got the exercise required before/after).

Are there any sorts of breeds you maybe had in mind?

Offline Ratboy3G

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4523 on: March 17, 2021, 09:01:15 pm »
Cheers for the reply Craig.
The Mrs and I aren't too fussed, as we individually have had a variety of dog breeds before we got together (Keeshond, Patterdale, Cretan Hound, Pomeranian and Old English Sheepdog to name a few) but nothing for the last 12 or so years and we've never owned a dog together.
We were looking for local rescue dogs in our area, but there wasn't anything suitable for re-homing with kids our age (we have a 9, 7 and 6 year old).
My daughter really wants a Cockapoo, but I'm not sure that would be a good idea as I've heard they aren't the best dogs to leave at home alone even for only a few hours.
Our house isn't the biggest (post war ex-council terrace), but we do have an enclosed garden and back yard and are a 2 minute walk from a huge park and woodland nature reserve and we go walking a lot with the kids.

I know it's a personal choice, but we're just struggling a bit with breeds at the moment as there is so much choice and we want to make the right one.

Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated from anyone on here.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 09:04:58 pm by Ratboy3G »

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4524 on: March 17, 2021, 09:23:40 pm »
My sister has a cockapoo and it’s fine with being left alone. It really does depend on how you bring it up.

We’re going through it now, finding reasons to go out everyday so we leave Norbert on his own and he learns we come back (and often with treats). Started from just leaving the room for a few mins and built it up to over an hour today. We’ll keep doing that for the next few months and it’ll become normal for him to be alone.

You can make life a tad easier and go for a non super high energy dog (so spaniel, huskey, etc type), but otherwise it’ll be down to the home life and amount of exercise they get.

Offline Ratboy3G

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4525 on: March 17, 2021, 09:28:40 pm »
Is Norbert a Frenchie?
A neighbour of mine breeds them and my youngest really wants us to get one, but a mate of mine has three and says they are a nightmare 🤣
I told him I'd happily swap a child for a dog, but surprisingly he said no.

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4526 on: March 17, 2021, 09:34:59 pm »
Nah he’s an English Bulldog, just with a bit of merle/chocolate in him so not a standard colour.

From my understanding frenchies are pretty similar to most bull breeds (and sure Claire will back me up) - so stubborn when they want to be, quirky, but full of personality and absolutely devoted to their family. They’re nothing like the nature the media would like to portray - I had an 80kg bullmastiff as he was as soft as anything and amazing. 

I absolutely love bull breeds. I’ve grown up with loads of other breeds, and experienced even more through my sisters, but nothing compares to the personality of a bull breed for me.

Offline Ratboy3G

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4527 on: March 17, 2021, 10:30:26 pm »
Fantastic choice, English bulldogs are great!
A mate of mine who lives on my way home from work has one, I always pop round to see him when I can (well used to pre-pandemic). I think he had figured out I was only mates with him because of the dog 😂

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4528 on: March 17, 2021, 10:32:39 pm »
Yeah this is my second. He’s only young but already showing the same typical bullheaded and quirky nature.

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4529 on: March 19, 2021, 09:21:21 am »
Nearly 2 weeks since we got him and it’s like he’s always been here, he’s settled in really well. Loves his food and has already gone from around 4.5kg to nearly 6.5kg.

Gets his second jab today, and getting out can’t come soon enough as he’s got so much energy to burn. He’s sleeping through the night (he did 1am to 9am last night before I woke him up making a brew) without any mess, and is only making the very odd mistake during day (normally our fault for not noticing he’s about to).

He’s nailed quite a few commands already - eye contact on name, sit, stay, leave, down and paw are all good in the house. Will be interesting just how non-existent these are when there are distractions outside though  ;D

He’s an absolute twat for nipping though. Hands and feet especially. So that’s a major work in progress!

Online reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4530 on: March 19, 2021, 01:28:42 pm »
Nearly 2 weeks since we got him and it’s like he’s always been here, he’s settled in really well. Loves his food and has already gone from around 4.5kg to nearly 6.5kg.

Gets his second jab today, and getting out can’t come soon enough as he’s got so much energy to burn. He’s sleeping through the night (he did 1am to 9am last night before I woke him up making a brew) without any mess, and is only making the very odd mistake during day (normally our fault for not noticing he’s about to).

He’s nailed quite a few commands already - eye contact on name, sit, stay, leave, down and paw are all good in the house. Will be interesting just how non-existent these are when there are distractions outside though  ;D

He’s an absolute twat for nipping though. Hands and feet especially. So that’s a major work in progress!

Ooh puppy teeth hurt too when they nip!

Can't wait to move on Tuesday so we've finally got some outside space for ours.  Don't get me wrong, I love my walks but I don't enjoy the fight to get out the door first or the excited squealing if I go anywhere near the boot cupboard!

To be able to have the door open permanently so they can come and go as they please, with a garden to play and chase around in is going to be heaven for them and me.

Weather forecast is good too thankfully as we need to fence the garden off and get the veg plot going soon as we're in.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4531 on: March 26, 2021, 07:35:10 am »
So, what happened with his photo shoot, Craig?

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4532 on: March 26, 2021, 09:43:14 am »
Wow Craig, your dog is fantastic! He is making me want another one even though mine is not even 2 years old yet!

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4533 on: March 26, 2021, 11:06:48 am »
So, what happened with his photo shoot, Craig?

Haha, she did it. I refused to be involved...think Norbert wanted to refuse too!

I'll post up some more pics later. He can go out on his first walk today, so he's going to get introduced to the waterfront.

Can't come soon enough either, he's now just over 7k so packed on 3kg in the last 3 weeks since we've had him and his energy levels are through the roof.

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4534 on: March 26, 2021, 11:12:34 am »
Wow Craig, your dog is fantastic! He is making me want another one even though mine is not even 2 years old yet!

Ta mate. He's been great.

Bit of a devil dog for puppy nipping, but he's def getting better at that. Otherwise he's picked everything else up really quick and is really laid back - nothing seems to phase him.

Offline Slippers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4535 on: March 26, 2021, 11:51:25 am »
Ta mate. He's been great.

Bit of a devil dog for puppy nipping, but he's def getting better at that. Otherwise he's picked everything else up really quick and is really laid back - nothing seems to phase him.

Scout hasn't been too bad for nipping,I had cuts and scrapes from wrist to elbow on both arms when our old dog was a puppy.

I was her favourite victim too.

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4536 on: March 26, 2021, 11:54:38 am »
Scout hasn't been too bad for nipping,I had cuts and scrapes from wrist to elbow on both arms when our old dog was a puppy.

I was her favourite victim too.

He's been pretty good with it not being too hard, but it's just constant. He's caught me a few times on my hand, and the worst is he caught my gf on her lip when she was carrying him out, but that's the worst of it.

Offline Slippers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4537 on: March 26, 2021, 11:56:58 am »
He's been pretty good with it not being too hard, but it's just constant. He's caught me a few times on my hand, and the worst is he caught my gf on her lip when she was carrying him out, but that's the worst of it.

Scout nipped me on the nose once when I was putting her in the car,that was an attractive look.

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4538 on: March 28, 2021, 12:05:35 am »
This was 2 weeks ago... https://streamable.com/sqcglt

And a few pics. Most of these are at least a week old. I need to get new ones off the gf as she takes more than I do.

Offline Slippers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4539 on: March 28, 2021, 08:46:23 am »
He looks like he's laughing his bits off in that last photo. :)

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4540 on: March 28, 2021, 11:46:23 am »

Yeah he absolutely loves his belly being tickled and pulls a weird bat face when you do  ;D

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4541 on: March 28, 2021, 01:52:54 pm »
That pic of him in the shelf reminds me of when Floyd was a puppy and he kept climbing in the shelves in my office 🥰

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4542 on: March 28, 2021, 01:57:22 pm »
That pic of him in the shelf reminds me of when Floyd was a puppy and he kept climbing in the shelves in my office 🥰

Yeah he’s obsessed with that shelf and the bottom shelf on the TV cabinet. Continually gets on them and falls asleep.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #4543 on: March 28, 2021, 02:38:24 pm »
I have to update Mrs. Spion with the latest pictures of Norbert, and when she saw that one last night she said "aww, he's laughing his head off there." 😄

I think she loves Norbs more than she loves me these days. 😤
« Last Edit: March 28, 2021, 02:40:29 pm by Son of Spion* »
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4544 on: March 28, 2021, 02:47:53 pm »
I have to update Mrs. Spion with the latest pictures of Norbert, and when she saw that one last night she said "aww, he's laughing his head off there." 😄

I think she loves Norbs more than she loves me these days. 😤

Yeah I’ve def fallen into second place with my missus.

Just taken him on a walk down Albert Dock and he’s such a fucking flirt. Sitting nicely to be stroked then rolling on his back to have him belly tickled.

Offline Ratboy3G

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4545 on: April 2, 2021, 09:59:30 am »
I hope all of you with pups weren't woken up too early this morning 😊
The Mrs and I have decided we are going to adopt a rescue dog, rather than go for a puppy.
We were 50/50 before, but after reading this article we've decided to adopt (we don't live in Scotland, but I can see things being similar in England). https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-scotland-56546206

I was recently told about a friend of a friend who returned his Beagle puppy bought during lockdown to the breeder after a week as it was "barking too much", but I suppose atleast it wasn't just dumped at a shelter.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4546 on: April 2, 2021, 10:14:09 am »
Cant even read those stories cos they make me so angry, just selfish c*nts.

We never get a sleep in with ours, he wakes you up religiously at 7 cos he wants his breakfast, best advice I can give anyone is don’t even entertain feeding your dog early if you’re not a morning person, once they’re in a routine you’ve got no hope of a lie in ever again!

Offline Ratboy3G

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4547 on: April 2, 2021, 10:28:49 am »
Cant even read those stories cos they make me so angry, just selfish c*nts.

We never get a sleep in with ours, he wakes you up religiously at 7 cos he wants his breakfast, best advice I can give anyone is don’t even entertain feeding your dog early if you’re not a morning person, once they’re in a routine you’ve got no hope of a lie in ever again!

I have three kids, the days of a lie in are long gone for me 😭

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4548 on: April 2, 2021, 10:37:36 am »
Ha, get the kids to do the dogs breakfast!

Offline Ratboy3G

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4549 on: April 2, 2021, 10:42:35 am »
Ha, get the kids to do the dogs breakfast!

Claire you are a genius!!!

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4550 on: April 6, 2021, 10:03:31 pm »
Our little 4.2kg bulldog is now 9.2kg and growing fast.

Stayed at my gf’s parents this weekend (she helps with her mums business) and he got some nice walks in Heaton Park. It was packed with people and dogs - took it all in his stride. Met dogs much smaller and wayyyyy bigger without a problem, walked off lead and ignored people, kids, dogs and kept relatively close, met kids and sat there as they stroked him and met adults and rolled on his back more excited.

His nipping has got harder but less often - he’s def teething quite badly I think. It’s really his only fault at the moment though, he’s a proper relaxed lad.

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4551 on: April 17, 2021, 04:36:36 pm »
Embarrassed to say but had my first visit to Formby beach yesterday, having lived in Liverpool years ago and regularly visiting the in-laws in Manchester/Bolton over the years since. Great beach, can’t believe we’ve never taken the dogs up there before. Any way we did it properly, had 5 dogs with us in total all off the lead was good fun! No surprises the dogs have been pretty quiet today ;D

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4552 on: April 17, 2021, 04:53:17 pm »
Embarrassed to say but had my first visit to Formby beach yesterday, having lived in Liverpool years ago and regularly visiting the in-laws in Manchester/Bolton over the years since. Great beach, can’t believe we’ve never taken the dogs up there before. Any way we did it properly, had 5 dogs with us in total all off the lead was good fun! No surprises the dogs have been pretty quiet today ;D

When we bought our now dearly departed dog as a puppy his first proper walk was up there. We parked up near Freshfield station then walked alongside the railway line then crossed the tracks at Fisherman's Crossing. You then get on Fisherman's Path, which takes you through pine woods to the dunes then the beach. Once on the beach we walked south again and came off at the car park that leads you back to Victoria Road.

He loved the entire day, and he had plenty of good socialising encounters. Another dog had a bit of a snarl at him too, but he stood his ground and toddled off full of confidence afterwards, so we knew he was going to be a feisty one. That was 15 years ago now, but we still remember it as a lovely day with our boy. Priceless memories.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4553 on: April 17, 2021, 06:50:59 pm »
Weird you say that, I’m staying at my parents tomorrow / Mon which is that way and said we’d go for a walk there one or the days.

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4554 on: April 17, 2021, 07:19:35 pm »
Weird you say that, I’m staying at my parents tomorrow / Mon which is that way and said we’d go for a walk there one or the days.
It's a nice walk. Norbert will love it if you are taking him.  :)

Offline Scottish-Don

• Maggie May, Kez, Kopbird, LFCMunkee and gerrardspetal in any order
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'Cause he's a dedicated follower of fashion
« Reply #4555 on: May 3, 2021, 04:46:45 pm »
Cracking deal on Premium Dog Food here guys.

All natural food for your dog, first box less than £10, Human-quality meat and vegetables, gently cooked to create simple, tasty, and complete meals. All created with the right balance of vitamins and minerals for dogs of every age.

butternutbox.com/David1079

I get 50% off my next box if you sign up, then you can share with your friends and get the same if they sign up.
Follow me on Twitter - @achtung_davie

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4556 on: May 3, 2021, 04:49:53 pm »
Nothing but raw food for Norbo!

Offline Scottish-Don

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4557 on: May 3, 2021, 04:54:31 pm »
Nothing but raw food for Norbo!

Unfortunately raw doesn't agree with my 2

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4558 on: May 3, 2021, 04:57:35 pm »
Unfortunately raw doesn't agree with my 2

Oh really? Were you switching them from another type to raw? As it can take a while for their digestive systems to adapt to raw and it can get messy in the meantime!!

Offline Scottish-Don

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4559 on: May 4, 2021, 08:15:32 am »
Oh really? Were you switching them from another type to raw? As it can take a while for their digestive systems to adapt to raw and it can get messy in the meantime!!

My youngest had his nose & soft palate operated on (French Bulldog) so never took to it, preferred expensive tins of wet food. My oldest Frenchie has a very low tolerance to different foods than what she was raised on (Kibble), as you said messy backyard.

Introduced the food I posted to them last month and they both love it and its perfect for their digestive system.