Author Topic: The Level 3 Thread  (Read 1190314 times)

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The (Level 3) Sanctuary
« Reply #8520 on: October 21, 2009, 02:05:48 pm »
Great second post, that.
And yes, of course you're right hbhr, this boardroom crap seems to have affected us, big-time. If you don't reinvest the incoming transfer money in new players what sort of message does it send to the players about the club's ambitions?

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #8521 on: October 21, 2009, 02:10:40 pm »
it's right some balls need to be grown now, we can't have Anfield as quiet as it was last night against the Mancs, they'll have a field day.
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline hassinator

• RAWK Funk Soul Brother
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • oot and proud
    • good egg hq
« Reply #8522 on: October 21, 2009, 02:11:00 pm »

My take. Benitez's project has been harder than he could of expected because we originally didn't have the resourses to compete at the highest level. he got around it with a strategy of gradual improvement which took more of his most precious commodity time. Then he's faced political battles which were not of his making but which he couldn't ignore, which took up masses of his energy and drive and again eat into his time. According to Tony Barrett we've got no real money for transfers and after last night I fear Rafas on borrowed time. Yet I agree with Hank Scorpio, now is the time to grow balls. It hangs in the balance but all is not lost, that was second string team out last night that was putting up a brave fight up to seventy minutes. When we,ve overcome some vital injuries we are not as bad as our lack of confidence suggests. If Rafa is able to turn this around then he is a genius, If Rafa is sacked then our carpetbaggers will have a fire sale, Torres, benayoun, gerrard, reina, mascherano could bring in some cash to dint that debt. The stakes are that high. Thats why Benitez needs uncondital support right now, even if he makes mistakes, the alternative with these buyout merchants is unthinkable.

great post sir and much more eloquent than i could have been this exactly sums up how i feel

Offline JP-65

• FA/UEFA/FIFA are not fit for purpose
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #8523 on: October 21, 2009, 02:18:36 pm »
That was fucking Awesome post 92A.

I'll second that.
And Roy, the name change is appropriate, this is the only place of sanity in the whole of RAWK right now!
Went to my barber this morning, who's a Liverpool fan, and the first thing he said to me as I entered his shop was if I thought Rafa should be fired...sheesh!

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #8524 on: October 21, 2009, 02:24:36 pm »
It is very very important we get behind Rafa 100% at the moment. The alternative is both not worth thinking about and potentially even more damaging to the club.

The injury crisis right now is as bad as it gets for a major club. The only way forward is continued, deafening support for the manager and team until we reach the sanctuary of the next transfer window.

Make it to January, starting with a good result on Sunday, and the message will be to the owners: (including Mega Rich Middle Eastern investors if we are lucky) if we don't steady the ship with 2 or 3 quality signings, there is a risk of falling out of qualification for next year's Champions League - for which we have no divine right in a Premiership of oligarchs and foreign millions.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline hassinator

• RAWK Funk Soul Brother
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • oot and proud
    • good egg hq
« Reply #8525 on: October 21, 2009, 02:25:03 pm »
I'll second that.
And Roy, the name change is appropriate, this is the only place of sanity in the whole of RAWK right now!
Went to my barber this morning, who's a Liverpool fan, and the first thing he said to me as I entered his shop was if I thought Rafa should be fired...sheesh!

i've had the same posted on my facebook were fucking mancs can read it.  shocking.  yes its shit to lose but lets get behind the boss and the team.  we can't lose to the mancs and if we beat them we really are looking at a whole new ball game.

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8526 on: October 21, 2009, 02:28:44 pm »
Thanks HBHR. Without turning this into a wank fest, I hadn't seen your post and was going to finish mine with an appeal for your take on the situation, an opinion I tend to agree with most times. Last night was one of the lowest points I've had since going to my first match in 1967, because I fear that a section of our support have had their heads turned by the media and have lost confidence in Benitez, with the stakes so high this is disastrous. In that situation I needed some sensible opinions to get me through before I click the 'In the News' button, and die a little inside. On the brightside at least a quarter of us stayed and clapped the team (and Lyon) off the pitch, their confidence looked shot but by Carraghers reaction I could tell it meant alot that some of us  had stayed, he clapped back the 4 sides of the ground and meant it.

I'm glad your reading of the game tallied with mine, After some of the shit I've been hearing, I was begining to doubt my analysis of the game. Sometimes when everyone expects you to lose, like against the mancs, this can take the pressure off and the team can be freed from their burden of lack of confidence (although this could be counteracted by the pressure on Benitez). I agree The off the pitch stuff is stiffling us and the football can only be seen with this in context. Football at this levels not played in a vacuum, as for Souness, I didn't see his comments but one of the truly great world class players Ive had the priveledge to have watched and one of the worst managers, what a contradiction
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 03:01:07 pm by The 92A »
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
    • Collaborative thoughts on Euro 2012
« Reply #8527 on: October 21, 2009, 02:33:20 pm »
In some ways the sack Rafa stuff is almost funny.

There's a warped, cynical part of me that would almost like to see it happen. Let him take, say, the City job in the summer - because their owners are bright enough to see an opportunity there, and one that could land them their prize of Torres, for example - let's take the £10million+ out of the coffers that paying Rafa's contract would take.

Lets get in the sort of realistic manager we might be able to afford - say Martinez of Wigan (because we have neither the money nor the board to hire anyone but someone young, up and coming - though I doubt the board would be shrewd enough to give someone like Martinez a chance, nor would they hire somone like, say, Ramos, who could at least offer continuity).

Then lets see just how 'shite' Rafa was, as the 'fans' continue to irrationally demand that we win everything yesterday, especially with the Mancs about to overhaul our precious record, with Waldorf and Statler doing everything they can to support him with statements like 'it's all the managers fault. What do you want from us? We sacked Rafa. We spend £250billion on replacing Torres with Chopra in January...' after our first defeat.

Meanwhile, just watch Rafa ripping the league to pieces with the money and stability City could offer him. While I'm indulging it he could take Lucas with him - see how much better a player looks from having the confidence you get from, maybe, just maybe, having his name sung just ONCE by the fans, or at least not being booed that time -and tutted and groaned at constantly other times.

------------------------------

Back in the real world, we really need to been the Mancs and get our confidence back, and we really need a clean sheet soon...we need a clean sheet worse than Newcastle need a new away kit.
He is the cat who walks by himself, and all roads are alike to him.

Offline Hank Scorpio

• is really a Virgo, three pinter. Royhendo's stalker.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • POOLCHECK HOMIE
« Reply #8528 on: October 21, 2009, 02:36:41 pm »
I'll second that.
That's the thing though JP, in the money driven Premier League, those are the thoughts which creep into nearly every fans mind after a couple defeats.

Honestly feel Benitez is going to come under major pressure in the next few weeks.  A bad result on Sunday and a CL exit could be enough for c*nt & Cunter to pull the trigger.  In fact, perhaps even a bad result on Sunday could be enough, they just need to get the majority vote and that is from the fans.  The fans saved Benitez once and if most of them turn on him (like the booing of the substitution last night) then he is fucked.

But these are money men and perhaps that compensation payment, on top of losing the CL money, may make them think twice.

P.S

Saw the Benitez interview post-match yesterday.  Is he looking a little greyer than usual?

Offline JP-65

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8529 on: October 21, 2009, 02:45:53 pm »
That's the thing though JP, in the money driven Premier League, those are the thoughts which creep into nearly every fans mind after a couple defeats.

Honestly feel Benitez is going to come under major pressure in the next few weeks.  A bad result on Sunday and a CL exit could be enough for c*nt & Cunter to pull the trigger.  In fact, perhaps even a bad result on Sunday could be enough, they just need to get the majority vote and that is from the fans.  The fans saved Benitez once and if most of them turn on him (like the booing of the substitution last night) then he is fucked.

But these are money men and perhaps that compensation payment, on top of losing the CL money, may make them think twice.

P.S

Saw the Benitez interview post-match yesterday.  Is he looking a little greyer than usual?

That was just the start, everything he trotted out is what you hear & see in the media.....not one independent thought!

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #8530 on: October 21, 2009, 02:49:02 pm »
Well that's as a refreshing post as I've seen in a while. Good stuff 92A. I remember the Kemlyn bourgeoisie always leaving the game with 5 minutes to go from my spec on the Kop. All you could hear was the sound of their seats flipping up and hitting the wood - a little like gunfire, and positively the only noise that you'd heard coming from that stand all afternoon.

My fear for Rafa now is that he'll hunker down and take on a siege mentality. I'd like him to bold and bring pace and flair into the team that faces Man Utd. Pacheco would be an inspired choice. But maybe it's too late. If he takes on under-performing senior players now it might be like signing his own arrest warrant.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline hassinator

• RAWK Funk Soul Brother
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • oot and proud
    • good egg hq
« Reply #8531 on: October 21, 2009, 02:54:23 pm »
Well that's as a refreshing post as I've seen in a while. Good stuff 92A. I remember the Kemlyn bourgeoisie always leaving the game with 5 minutes to go from my spec on the Kop. All you could hear was the sound of their seats flipping up and hitting the wood - a little like gunfire, and positively the only noise that you'd heard coming from that stand all afternoon.

My fear for Rafa now is that he'll hunker down and take on a siege mentality. I'd like him to bold and bring pace and flair into the team that faces Man Utd. Pacheco would be an inspired choice. But maybe it's too late. If he takes on under-performing senior players now it might be like signing his own arrest warrant.

yorky people are hammering n'gog for what i thought was very good performance from an understudy with limited support last night and rafa's been slaughtered also for throwing spearing to the lions at the weekend so bringing pacheco into the team would be both a balls out decision and probably out of character.  still we need some kind of spark and at the moment we're lacking leaders on the pitch.

what do we think the starting 11 is going to be if johnson, torres, gerrard and now kelly aren't available?

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8532 on: October 21, 2009, 03:00:26 pm »
Thanks HBHR. Without turning this into a wank fest, I hadn't seen your post and was going to finish mine with an appeal for your take on the situation, an opinion I tend to agree with most times. Last night was one of the lowest points I've had since going to my first match in 1967, because I fear that a section of our support have had their heads turned by the media and have lost confidence in Benitez, with the stakes so high this is disastrous. In that situation I needed some sensible opinions to get me through before I click the 'In the News' button, and die a little inside. On the brightside at least a quarter of us stayed and clapped the team (and Lyon) off the pitch, their confidence looked shot but by Carraghers reaction I could tell it meant alot that some of us  had stayed, he clapped back the 4 sides of the ground and meant it.

I'm glad your reading of the game tallied with mine, After some of the shit I've been hearing, I was begining to doubt my analysis of the game. Sometimes when everyone expects you to lose, like against the mancs, this can take the pressure off and the team can be freed from their burden of lack of confidence. I agree The off the pitch stuff is stiffling us and the football can only be seen with this in context. Football at this levels not played in a vacuum, as for Souness, I didn't see his comments but one of the truly great world class players Ive had the priveledge to have watched and one of the worst managers, what a contradiction
Yeah I know exactly what you mean.

In the game I watched yesterday we made more clear chances, had chances, and clear ones, to go 2-0 up, were ripping apart a good Lyon team with literally half of our first team injured, even the commentator on the Guardian minute by minute, who was bitter as lemons about us throughout his 'commentary', more accurately described as a Rafa and LFC slating fest, said on 66mins, shortly before Lyon scored, that they'd done 'nothing' up to that point in the second half. Then Kelly got injured trying to save the goal, and bam, we lose one of our main outlets on the night, the defence has to readjust totally and Carra is unfortunately limited in that position. It boggles my mind that there's people saying he should have started there last night - he simply could not have offered the pace and drive Kelly did so impressively, and to lose that was a huge blow on the night.

I thought it was an improved performance and had we won there would be a lot of love for how our young players performed. Plus we had a good and legit goal chalked off because the Lyon defender dived.

Yet to read about it that's about the worst Liverpool have ever played, with everyone bar Benayoun, Kelly and Reina a total and utter disaster. A lot of people are saying that Benayoun was the only one creating anything last night. Really? He was alright at times but apart from the goal I thought he was largely anonymous. It was Aurelio and Kelly creating most things... and the horrifically maligned Lucas drove forward with the ball more than I've seen him do in the past, and it was his turn, drive and nice lay-off that Aurelio crossed in to score from. Still too anonymous though, for whatever reason.

But anyway, suffice it to say that the match I watched bears absolutely no resemblance to the one watched but most people, it seems - one in which Liverpool were woeful, created nothing (except of course for those multiple clear chances to win the match which, seen through the funk of anger and depression apparently didn't happen at all) and were utterly destroyed by a rampant Lyon who, from what I saw, actually made fewer clear chances than we did.

It sometimes makes me doubt what I've seen as well - but then that's why a thread like this (or indeed the new Tomkins site - http://tomkinstimes.com/ ) is so valuable - sure opinions differ, but you can at least be confident that pretty much everyone sharing their views knows a thing or two about football, and it reassures you that it is indeed the rest of the world that is insane.

Unfortunately, we live in a society, especially in this country, were people are, from the earliest days of their schooling, from all mainstream media and cultural outputs, taught not to think. Taught to receive and be spoon fed. Taught that ignorance is cool and that learning and understanding are at best geeky and at worst outright deviant. Subjects which demand critical thought, especially those which apply that critical thought to the real world and contemporary events (for example philosophy, politics, economics, sociology, psychology, media studies even) are all noticably absent from the school curriculum , which itself has for many years now been moving away from creativity and independent thought in favour of prescribed learning and teaching to meet arbitrary targets.

The media prey upon and feed this relentlessly, and are themselves in many ways victims of it - the individual journalist has little to no time for actual research and thought, and his job has been reduced to essentially editing press releases - and a huge proportion of those are nothing but PR produced propaganda for either government or corporations.

This is a massive factor in the 'want it know' and 'it's all your fault' culture so prevalent, and of course this mentality is absolutely perfect in terms of fuelling consumer based capitalism. Something wrong in your life? Buy some shit. See something you hate? Buy some shit. Rational thought is really not conducive to buying shit for no good reason, and there are few countries on Earth more tragically wedded to the creed of buying shit for no reason than this, our Albion.

Sorry to go a bit political but I really believe it very strongly. One thing I've always loved about Liverpool, and the thing that's ultimately drawn me ever further in is that this is both a socialist and thinking man's club, in many ways. It's heartbreaking to see that tradition (though it is still here, there is still a seperation, I'm convinced of it - you still see it in the quality of RAWK as opposed to the fan sites of other clubs, for example. Like, say, the Simpsons, it may not be what it used to be but it's still better than most of the rest on offer) being undermined, and it's heartbreaking to see how the media - themselves puppets in many ways - seem able to work large sections of our 'support' like bloody ventriloquists dummies.

I can give no better example of that than rotation. How often has that one been brought up this season? Hardly ever. Rafa hasn't stopped rotating - the point is that the media have been unable to ignore the spinning top at castle greyskull. Therefore, without any announcement, any journalist actually acknowledging their change of opinion and explaining why, rotation has become (and I predicted this ages ago...it's really shit when cynical predictions based on the worst of people/society come true) the orthodoxy.

Now, to a FUCKING MAN, the same journalists who spent 4 loooong years slating, piss taking, shitting all over and denying the validity of RAFA'S rotation - and it was HIS system remember - are now, to a man, slating Rafa for the paucity of our squad, because it's a squad game y'know, the best 11 that ruled all at the start of last season is no longer relevant, and Fungus is, to quote the times today 'the master of replenishment'.

You see, sadly also as I predicted - it's Fungus system now. HE invented it, and deserves all the credit. So, like bloody parrots the same fans who at the start of last season were mocking Rafa's rotation are now moaning and whining and screaming blue murder because our squad isn't strong enough.

Oh well. The beauty of the reactive nature of this culture is that a win against Man U really would change the mood overnight - it's not like it hasn't happened before.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 03:13:38 pm by hesbighesred »

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8533 on: October 21, 2009, 03:12:12 pm »
even the commentator on the Guardian minute by minute, who was bitter as lemons about us throughout his 'commentary', more accurately described as a Rafa and LFC slating fest, said on 66mins, shortly before Lyon scored, that they'd done 'nothing' up to that point in the second half.

Comments like that make me doubt my memory of the match, too, though. Because at the point at which they scored I thought it was obvious they were going to. The momentum had begun to swing (though we were very good, in patches) and I thought an imaginative substitution might give them something new to deal with. But the 'small details' did come back to haunt us - not much we could have done about the disallowed goal, (wrongly, I agree) but the N'gog shot wide and the Aurelio header - those we can only rue. 

Offline sjh

• Main Stander
  • Anyone who slates Lucas knows jack about football
    • www.learnasone.org
« Reply #8534 on: October 21, 2009, 03:26:14 pm »
Completely agree with all the lack of strong foundation comments. However, a solution still needs to be found as we all know it could be a long while until the off the pitch stuff is sorted.

I've decided to analyse the two goals against last night to see if anything can be learnt. Link (trying to ignore the url) http://www.101greatgoals.com/video-liverpool-in-crisis-after-last-gasp-lyon-win-arsenal-held-in-alkmaar-rangers-embarrassed-by-unirea/39062

Goal 1:
Two mistakes here. Reina flapping and then a bad one from Kelly for poor execution of zonal marking. You see Cara appealing for offside with Kelly trying to cover on the line and playing the guy who had the second shot onside.

Conclusion:
- Being ruthless it was a pretty bad 'team' play mistake by Kelly but he is young, should learn and had a very promising debut.
- We badly need someone more height in the side. A CB dominant in the air and ideally a tall CM as a replacement for when we have to sell Masch.
- I'm not sure if Reina's flap was a rush of blood or lack of confidence in our ability in the air. If a GK comes he has to deal with it.

Goal 2:
This was a terrible goal to give away. Lucas and Agger caught out of position initially. Lucas and Insua fail to track the runner who puts the cross in. Kuyt fails to track the LW who scores (probably a bit harsh). Carra being stationary on the far post. It was however a pretty good counter attacking goal.

Conclusion
- Thing it's hard to conclude much from this other than we need to track back better and I like many am worried my Carragher's recent form.

Thoughts on how key areas to improve

This is more general rather than a reflection on last nights performance in isolation.

- A new CB
I think we badly need to replace Sami properly. I don't see Skrtel as good enough for a starting position. To defend deep you need at least one CB who is dominant in the air. We don't have this. On the flip side to defend high (like we are attempting far more now we have Johnson) you need at least one of your CBs to be quick. Again we don't have this. And to be a top side you also need your CBs to be comfortable on the ball. Only Agger falls into this bracket. Sami wasn't bad in this area either. Conclusion. We badly need either a tall or speedy CB to play alongside Agger.

- Set pieces
Following on from my thoughts re a new CB we need to be better at set pieces at both ends of the pitch. A tall CB and possible a tall CM would help massively at both ends of the pitch.

I also think we badly need one of the attacking 4 to be top notch at both direct and in-direct set play delivery. Other than Aurelio's direct free kick at Old Trafford last year I struggle to remember any direct goals. Gerrard gets a few from lay-offs but we really lack a Baggio type of dead ball specialist who can make the difference in tight games.

We obviously have other issues that need to be solved too but these would be my two top priorities come the next transfer window. Hopefully we can get rid of some of the dead wood in January and make at least one key signing.

But until then it's vital to get behind the team and hope and pray that Gerrard, Torres, Johnson, Aquilani and Riera get fit again asap.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 03:34:10 pm by sjh »
Yes. That is a badger advertising my favourite charity. www.learnasone.org

Offline hesbighesred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8535 on: October 21, 2009, 03:26:20 pm »
Comments like that make me doubt my memory of the match, too, though. Because at the point at which they scored I thought it was obvious they were going to. The momentum had begun to swing (though we were very good, in patches) and I thought an imaginative substitution might give them something new to deal with. But the 'small details' did come back to haunt us - not much we could have done about the disallowed goal, (wrongly, I agree) but the N'gog shot wide and the Aurelio header - those we can only rue. 
Absolutely - and it's fair to say they pressured us more in the lead up to the goal, but confidence and fatalism comes into play there too. Remember Liege last season anyone? Home and away they battered us as much as any team I've seen, wave after wave of attacks, but I never felt the danger. Nerves yes, but there is a worrying weakness that Killer_Heels and plenty others have identified - no doubt also closely related to the poor form of our most driven players in Carra, Gerrard and Mash.

But the overall balance of play in the match - it was about 50/50, and we had the better of the chances, no doubt in my mind. Yet the favoured story still tends to follow the tune of 'no creativity' - when we created more than enough chances, clear chances not hopeful 25 yard punts, to have been 3-0 up by the time they came back into the game.

To be honest, that's why I'd agree with JL in terms of change Carra if you're going to change anything big. He has been the constant in our defence, I'm not convinced that the pressure, physical demands and undroppable status he has are doing him any favours at all, Skrtel and Agger are theoretically the future and, hell, we've tried most other things. When we were on top yesterday I thought Agger made a massive difference in terms of allowing our midfield to push forward more, and in that spell I thought Lucas also really benefitted from that. By no means at all do I want Carra out of the side, and of course he'll rightly start against Man U, but our shakiness in defence has undermined everything else we've done - it's impossible pressure for attackers, especially young ones, to feel they have to score twice for us to have a chance. 1-0 should have been held on to, and should have been a platform to rip them on the break as they tired towards the end of the match, but yet another mistake (though followed by horrible luck as Reina made two superb saves that randomly went straight to Lyon feet), and it's panic stations again - exacerbated by re-organisation and injury to one of our main outlets on the night.

Still, I keep coming back to confidence - the difference it made after our first goal, for example. We really looked a proper team again, at least for a while. I say again I'm delighted we've got Man U - no possibility of anyone not being up for it, and I'd be bricking it if it were, say, Birmingham at home. No thanks. That's a lose/lose situation at this point in time.

We need both to regain confidence and to show that we can beat good opposition, it really is the perfect fixture IMO. I just hope we can at least get 2 of G, T and GJ properly fit for it, and I really hope Agger starts instead of Skrtel too - not that I think Skrtel particularly deserves to be the one missing out, but no way at all Carra will be 'rested' for this one (and to be fair rightly since he was also solid against Chelsea) and we need Agger's composure.

Offline Franck Le Poof

• Blonde transvestite who is utterly haunted by the idea of sitting in other mens piss. Has ticked the box for no publicity ;)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8536 on: October 21, 2009, 03:26:59 pm »
Eeesh. Just been reading through the post match thread and weaving through the interminable dross to read my highly respected opinions of the people in here was just too much work, so I'll be taking refuge in here if nobody minds.

I'm totally with you HBHR. It feels as if the match I watched and the match the rest watched were completely different. People are saying we were shite and deserved to lose but I saw enough clear cut chances to win the game - it wasn't as if we did absolutely nothing for 90 minutes a la the match against Sunderland. Off the top of my head there was the N'gog chance and the Aurelio header. As it has already been said; Pepe was boss, Martin Kelly is a beast of a prospect, and N'gog definitely has a great future ahead of him, hopefully with is. Who knew Jean-Alain Boumsong's cousin, the lad who came in having scored one in 18 for PSG, could be such a prospect? I really rate him.

Pepe Reina is the man I sympathise with most. He's been having to pick the ball out on more than one occasion on nearly a match-by-match basis, none of it really being his fault. The only one you could possibly point the blame at him for would be the 'flapping' off the corner yesterday and even then, it's blatant to see that it's because he doesn't trust the defenders in front of him.

You get used to the doom and gloom that surrounds this club year in year out whenever things aren't going our way. Hell, lately it's even the same scapegoats as the years preceding. 'Zonal Marking', 'Sack Rafa', 'Kuyt's a headless chicken', 'Lucas isn't good enough', et cetera and ad nauseam. At least in this thread you get a more level-headed look at things and every now and then a new member will come in and add a blinder of a post, like The 92A.

If ever it was a great time to thank royhendo and the rest of you that contribute regularly in here, it's now. I think a great many of us would be lost having only the Post Match thread to read.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 03:29:15 pm by Muser »
Whenever I meet a French girl I kiss her on both cheeks. Then I stand up and say hello

Offline JP-65

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8537 on: October 21, 2009, 03:36:45 pm »
HBHR, you're much more competent in analyzing a footie match than I am, it seems to me we've lost our pressing game, can't remember whether it's just lately or all season.

What's your take on this?

Offline hesbighesred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8538 on: October 21, 2009, 03:37:00 pm »
Skrtel is both tall and speedy - I honestly think he's rather under-rated in the air. Nothing wrong with his heading against Chelsea, and you have to give him some leeway in that respect this season because he's played (prior to Chelsea) all his games with a broken jaw. Even if you don't rate his heading I don't think there's any doubting his speed, he's plenty quick.

The Sami thing is in some ways a total white elephant. If you say we're missing his calm off the pitch, his leadership in the dressing room, and the pressure he puts on the other CBs to perform then I 100% agree, and I'm gutted we couldn't keep him on the pitch. It seems crazy to me though, to say we miss his heading ability on the pitch - how many times did he play last season? 8? The games he was deliberately used in were also against the Stokes and Bolton's of this world - who we've obliterated this season. We can't be missing his aerial ability against the likes of Chelsea or Villa because he didn't play against the likes of Chelsea or Villa, and hasn't done for several seasons. Off the pitch, yes. On the pitch - dubious in my view.

Still, I agree with much of what you're saying there - but I must add Mascherano into the equation for the winning goal. That break, and the players being out of position, came directly from Mash ineffectually shooting from long range with multiple red shirts ahead of him - and several in the box. It was a stupid piece of decision making that ended up costing us - and it was the same against Chelsea as well. I rate Mash higher than some attacking wise, but I don't think he takes the attacking initiative well. He's great at taking obvious opportunities, but if he feels he HAS to make things happen he makes bad decisions. Whether it's management or personal I don't know - he should be giving the initiative to Lucas in that respect IMO, and again whether that's management, mash or Lucas I can't say. Hopefully though Aquilani has the seniority, pedigree and ability for Mash to go back to supporting and destroying again.

Things could look very, very different if we can beat Man U, somehow scrape a win at Lyon and then have Aquilani to come into the team just in time for when it really starts to get serious.

Offline Vulmea

• Almost saint-like.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8539 on: October 21, 2009, 03:41:55 pm »

Right, one last issue that's been doing my HEAD in recently: Young Players.

Mmmm not sure I can agree with your optimism

Benitez has invested in a few prospects recently Ngog(19), Lucas(20), Plessis(19), Insua(18)  and  a couple look decent but to be honest they aint pulling up any trees like Gerrard or Owen at that age and at that age we shoud be looking fo a bit more success - Houllier identified the likes of Riise(20) and Baros(19)  and its Wengers forte bringing in players in this age bracket which become top quality I'm not sure any of our lads have the ability to rise to the very top.

Insua doesn't defend well imo and Ngog I believe has a suspect attitude less interested in scoring than not getting hurt.

In terms of Spearing again can't buy it - Jay's 21 next month Muamba and Cattermole are 21 are streets ahead in development and I wouldn't have either in our midfield - neither has jay got any international caps or first team experience I'd love him to succeed but its not going to happen -
His only chance is defensive midfield where his height and lack of pace wouldn't be an issue - it would also make best use of his ability to read teh game and his determination - problem is he should have been groomed for that position for the last 5 years.

Kelly looks to be the best prospect since Warnock but Warnock needed to leave to get the games he needed - how is Kelly going to get those games?

We do have genuine prospects in the stiffs - loads of them but how will they get the chance - I happen to think Nemeth is more Mellor than Fowler btw but a loan spell at AEK isn't any real preparation for the Prem.

By my reckoning we've had Warnock and Guthrie (via the mancs)  come through the academy since 1999  when traditionally we've had 4 or 5 players a decade in the first team. Warnock only really got his chance because we were skint and was very soon relegated to 3rd choice becaus he made too many mistakes learning his trade.

Evertons much vaunted systems has produced Osman, Hibbert and Jeffers in the same period none of whom would make our team and of course Rooney who would.

At the same time we've seen Baines, Nolan, Nugent and Barton come through elsewhere.

The pool of talent aint great but its clear we dont make the best of what there is so much so that in ours stiffs now we have not one genuine scouse propsect. The Liverpool Repulic 11 is never going to materialise at this rate.

Ignoring 'scouseness' - Rafa is giving Ngog and Insua extended runs in the team which is great because its the only way they can learn and develop but it costs - its costs results and time - - the Arsenal fans and the media have been largely patient with Wengers because of their style of footbal and his past success I'm not sure Rafa will be given the same - in fact I'm sure he wont be.

oh and great post from a92

The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate, contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.

John F. Kennedy/Shanklyboy.

Offline hassinator

• RAWK Funk Soul Brother
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • oot and proud
    • good egg hq
« Reply #8540 on: October 21, 2009, 03:43:11 pm »

Oh well. The beauty of the reactive nature of this culture is that a win against Man U really would change the mood overnight - it's not like it hasn't happened before.

would anyone else settle for 4-1?  ;D

Offline hesbighesred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8541 on: October 21, 2009, 04:03:21 pm »
HBHR, you're much more competent in analyzing a footie match than I am, it seems to me we've lost our pressing game, can't remember whether it's just lately or all season.

Fair point. I think there's probably a lot of factors:

1) Confidence - I'm sure pressing is as affected as anything else. Watch the Real game from last season and the way we move as a unit is absolutely breathtaking. There's one bit where their passing among themselves comfortably - one bit of harrying leads to a slightly (but only slightly) awkward pass, and the whole team has moved, almost Aikido style, 10 yards forward and is now directly pressing their CB's instead of standing off and another hurried pass leads to the ball being taken from the reciever like candy from a baby. Probably team familiarity is a huge factor there as well - we've struggled for confidence, and had to make a lot of less than ideal changes.

2) Fitness. Some individuals don't seem part of our pressing game - Gerrard is a great example. I suspect this is because he has so many games to play, we can't afford to have him and Torres employing 'full' pressing and still expect 50 games a season from them. It's a problem when Gerrard plays in midfield, but it also makes it harder for them to gain the initiative in games.

3) Rafa paces his squad. This last is a very big factor I think - Valencia were well known for starting slowly, and also varying their intensity according to opponents. Look at the change from Debrecen to West Ham - you'd think we were playing through treacle against Debrecen but against West Ham we had no shortage of intensity. Rafa doesn't employ, I don't think, full pressing game in game out until the season reaches the business end, the whole fitness regime is geared towards us peaking then and rightly so. It means we always walk a tightrope at times in the season, so when you get confidence shattering blows (starting with the Spurs non penalty and defeat), horrific luck and awful reffing decisions (beachball goal, mystical minute of injury time Villa goal) and then follow it up with a series of injuries it's like taking away the balancing stick for that tightrope.

In an ideal world, I suspect Rafa would rotate more to keep everyone fresh but up till now he hasn't had the job security (rotating someone like Gerrard has generally led to an instant backlash that has even affected more sensible fans, and with these owners he's walked a job tightrope too until the contract was signed) and he's never really had the finances to build the squad to do it seamlessly. I personally doubt that had Rafa been able to pay the wages he'd liked we'd have seen, say, Sissoko sold to bring someone else in. Crouch might well have stayed had we been able to throw money at him - ditto Arbeloa. Look at someone like Kalou at Chelsea. The only real difference between him and a Crouch isn't rotation, isn't ambition, it's money. Maybe that's harsh on Crouch but if not him personally then I think the general point is a valid one - we can't pay quality players enough that they stay happy on the bench when they get more money AND more games elsewhere, and not even at 'bigger' clubs.

4) Team unity. Walshy posted a thread called 'are we sulking' and, honestly, I think there's some truth in that. This summer was a massive, massive blow. We really needed a few wins to start and Lucas to catch fire, but what we had is players still playing a bit like as if Alonso were still there - Gerrard in particular seems to have adapted very poorly and started in one of his occasional phases where he just looks sort of depressed and not quite with it. I'm sure the court case hasn't helped in that respect either. So, senior respected players leave, no investment and for one or two players though I don't doubt they're still trying and working hard, maybe their heart just isn't quite in it at the moment, and in a way who could blame them? We needed so little to build on last season, and we're given less than nothing, really. Then the doom and gloom merchants took all of ONE MATCH to forget last season completely, and have been picking at our carcass with relish in some cases since before the season even started.

That sort of belief and heart (mingled with confidence) can be the difference between closing someone down, doing all the right things but being brushed off and them scoring, compared to doing all those same things but with fire, belief, commitment to the cause and winning the ball right back and getting attacks going again.

5) In these last few games, I'd say it's also been massively compounded by Mash and Kuyt's absurd travels. That thing about not stumping up for a jet for Mascherano has to be one of the most sickening things I've heard this season - that's the difference between him starting against Sunderland and not being able to risk it. I'll eat my shoes if it turns out that failure to stump up about £50,000 turned out to be Rafa's decision - of course it wasn't. He doesn't hold the purse strings for stuff like that and the owners are clearly happy to cut any corner they deem necessary, hence the lack of real investment. Add that to Kuyt playing a half in Australia on a dodgy ankle, and that drastically reduces the effectiveness of the two players who are our pressing machines, the ones who are tasked with that job even when we aren't 'full' pressing.

Plus also from Mash's point of view, if he's already had his head a little turned, what sort of message does that send to him about how much this club values him? Sure, he may be being a selfish twat, but other clubs throw money at their selfish twats because they are good enough, a la Ferdinand and Terry's (far more) disgraceful contract behaviours - it's not like Mash has publicly spoken out against the team or anything. Any other club they'd have just given him his pay rise, and would certainly find the money so he can share a flight back to England with one of his best friends.

It's a lot of factors, but we'll see a comitted (even If I can't guarantee it'll be effective) performance against the Mancs - even more so than Chelsea because, like Arsenal, they are vulnerable to full pressing high up the pitch. Get confidence back, and now that we are getting into the real business end of the season, and we'll see the crushing machine again - I also think Aquilani's return will help. Not so much for his pressing (though Spalletti is I believe even more of a fundamentalist about it than Rafa, a contributing factor in all their injuries I would assume) but because it also means we have proper competition in CM, Mash can't afford to be complacent because Lucas has been a good presser/tackler this season and can certainly take his place against lesser teams, and pressure it for better ones, also because Mash goes back to concentrating on the destructive side of his game, also because then we can afford to rotate some. An Aquilani who hits the ground running also pressures Gerrard - he's a player who you could honestly see having enough about him so that we could maybe even rest Gerrard through choice in the odd game, which again means Gerrard has more fitness and can press more effectively in more matches - it's a virtuous cycle where at the moment we're in a catch 22.

Offline hesbighesred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8542 on: October 21, 2009, 04:05:18 pm »
would anyone else settle for 4-1?  ;D
Yeah - go on then ;)

To be perfectly honest with you though - I'd prefer a dominant 1-0. a 2 or 3-0 would be absolute heaven - I honestly think a solid clean sheet against a tough opponent would be better for us right now than multiple goals. We need that steel back more than anything, even more than Alonso wearing a cape with an 'S' on it and his underpants on the outside of his shorts.

Offline Roger Federer

• Christ imagine naming yourself after Roger Federer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8543 on: October 21, 2009, 04:06:57 pm »

I'm not HBHR, but I think the big reason why, is Mascherano's new role. He is playing where Alonso used to, infront of the CBs.  Before he had freedom to roam and hunt down the opposition wherever he wanted, he's more restricted now, and I don't think that suits him fully (not to mention that his passing from deep is pretty poor, especially when under pressure, so we have the ball less - need to chase more - tire faster - the pressing game deteriorates). So we lost our best player at harrassing the opposition high up the pitch (Kuyt is not the same this season either), and the organizational skills of Alonso deeper.

Edit: Typed that before I saw HBHR's post, I'm guessing his answer is a bit more detailed!
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 04:11:53 pm by Roger Federer »

Offline sjh

• Main Stander
    • www.learnasone.org
« Reply #8544 on: October 21, 2009, 04:09:39 pm »
@HBHR
But re Skrtel and being good in the air how many goals has scored from set pieces for Liverpool? He's not bad in the air but I simply don't have the confidence in our defence when crosses come in since the big blonde mop stopped playing reguarly. Fully take your point about Sami not being on the pitch much last season. My point is more that we need one of our CBs to be like Terry is in the air (at both ends of the pitch).

And you are correct about Skrtel's pace, he just isn't great at 1-on-1 covering, especially when pulled out wide. Something CBs obviously need to be able to do if you want to play high. So mybad in not explaining myself very well. I said pace when I meant something a bit different.

Didn't realise it was Mach who gave the ball away so thanks for pointing that out. Still think we had enough players back to deal with the situation however.

Offline Vulmea

• Almost saint-like.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8545 on: October 21, 2009, 04:09:44 pm »

Interesting take on things -  not saying its wrong just not the way I saw it

I thought Insua was crucified all game except for 15 minutes at the end of the first half when Aurelio was told to cover him and we attacked - other than that they had the run of the left had side at will - only desprate lunges from Masch and Agger prevented more damage. the second goal had a definate air of inevitability about it.  Aurelio's experience at left back would have been useful but double coverage of Gouvou was a must I thought - either the players or Rafa did not react to the danger imo.

I'd say Kelly was partly to blame for their first goal but they reacted first three times which is not good enough and again you knew they would get the chnace because we were doing so little.

I thought our tactics second half were acceptable if you get the 1-0 win and awful if you dont. Playing a team with no centre halfs in our own half when one nil up was cowardly imo - I can understand the thinking behind the caution i can understand the lack of confidence but yesterday was about putting that right and once again we showed a lack of mental strength - used to be called bottle and we failed.

I thought Rafa had got the game by the balls replacing Insua so early only to find out it was Gerrard..........another mistake by the gaffer imo-  Gerrard taken off after 20 minutes as a precaution - should never have started talisman or not.

The difference when we forgot to be scared showed that the players are capable of better but there is an underlying fear in our play - it was eveident in Fiorentina and against Debrecen - the way we hoofed the ball  from the back to nobody 1-0 up at home whenever we were put under pressure was shocking - we needed everyone together, we needed to want to turn the season around not hang on -  the crowd , the players and the manager had a mare and its been happening since we kicked off against Spurs - I dont know why nor what the answer is - maybe that hypnotist bloke off the tele - but its certinly depressing

The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate, contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.

John F. Kennedy/Shanklyboy.

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8546 on: October 21, 2009, 04:20:06 pm »
That's the worrying thing. given an amnesty of twenty games I have every confidence rafa would turn it around and we could be on the verge of great things. The problems are there but  I have every confidence he would solve them, With a bit of money I'm certain he would.

But in the real world every game has become vital, We've had some serious bad luck but that is never taken into account. This is played out against a background of two Venture Capitalists who have come unstuck with their plans because of the credit crunch, but are determined to get a decent return on their assets and are ambivalent whether in this process Liverpool football club is damaged as long as the damage doesn't mess up their revenue streams. The manager knows this and has had to find space to operate on what  is a project he has invested the best years of his managerial career. In his favour has been the fans hatred of the Yanks, Benitez is a football man and he is put up with for political reasons by the Yanks if they see a chance to get rid of him they'll take it, He sees footballers not Multimillion pound assets.

Imagine the interviews for a new Manager. With Hicks and Gillette on the panel,  We'd get a yes man who would allow them to rape the club while he said nothing to embarrass the Yanks. The relationship between any new manager and the Yanks would be different than their relationship with Benitez , they would be writing the job criteria and that would include no backchat from uppity employees. Whats protected Benitez is the culture surrounding the club. It has been different, we have a tradition of patience of not sacking the manager, but The constant media slagging off Benitez is beginning to find an echo in some sections of our support.

The ex players and media hate him because he approaches things differently from their certainties, new thinkers always get stick until their ideas are incorporated into the orthodoxy.  Benitez is always going to be at odds with Andy Greys Sunday league analysis.

I went to a funeral last Friday, The  lad who died did so from aggressive cancer. A lifelong Liverpudlian the last two games he listened to were Fiorentina and Chelsea, even on his deathbed he was trying to put it into perspective and wouldn't hear a word against Benitez from one of his young nephews. That's our tradition, It made us different but its under threat from the sky 'we want a result now' culture. The cocaine culture. You get a immediate buzz from beak but it leaves you with nothing.  We can't compete purely financially our only hope until we rid the club of these leeches is someone who does it differently, a truly new thinker, but he needs more time. Yeah the Mancs may get 19 but if we implode now, our competitors in the future will be Leeds and Newcastle not the Mancs. We need to back the manger and take the pressure of the team.
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Offline sjh

• Main Stander
    • www.learnasone.org
« Reply #8547 on: October 21, 2009, 04:21:35 pm »

I thought Insua was crucified all game except for 15 minutes at the end of the first half when Aurelio was told to cover him and we attacked - other than that they had the run of the left had side at will - only desprate lunges from Masch and Agger prevented more damage. the second goal had a definate air of inevitability about it.  Aurelio's experience at left back would have been useful but double coverage of Gouvou was a must I thought - either the players or Rafa did not react to the danger imo.

Agree. And when something like this happens it makes it hard to have the confidence to play high and really take the game to the opposition.

I'd say Kelly was partly to blame for their first goal but they reacted first three times which is not good enough and again you knew they would get the chnace because we were doing so little.

But if you are playing zonal and the plan is to push out on the second ball to play everyone offside and one of the defenders doesn't it leaves you screwed. That's the team tactic for defending corners and Kelly did something else. This invalidates the fact that Lyon reacted first because a Liverpool defender reacting to a player in the 6 yard box was doing his job wrong in the first place. Hence everything that happened from the second ball onwards was Kelly's fault.

Offline redy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8548 on: October 21, 2009, 04:30:59 pm »
I disagree with HBHR regarding youth. IMO Insua is the only one who has become a regular squad member. And while you are looking at the likes of Ayala,Kelly, Spearing etc as evidence that it is working, I am not sure Ayala and Spearing will indeed become regular squad members, maybe Kelly.

But that's not to say that he is a failure with regards to youth. Not at all. I don't think there has been enough time for it to fully bear fruits. If anything, this couple of years should be the time seeing as there is a chance Kelly, Nemeth and maybe Pacheco could be regular squad members. If they are not by the end of 2 years, then I would say he has failed to bring in any youth. In many ways I think it will be key coz no matter how much/less money you have, you can't buy a whole squad. You will need to get quality squad members for cheap. The best way is youth or like Ngog rather than Deger or Voronin.

Also wanted to say that this is probably his biggest crisis as I see it as more of a long-term issue with the team (with issues with the midfield and defence) So does one get rid of their manager the moment he has a crisis? No you give him a chance to work through it, the chance to get the team back up from the down. Of course only if you trust him. And I am pretty sure he has earned that trust.

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8549 on: October 21, 2009, 04:32:27 pm »
92A - do you mind if I post that last one of yours to the main board. Is roy's 'important posts you might have missed' still floating in the ether?
Dammit man, 4 posts and every one considered.

Offline hesbighesred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8550 on: October 21, 2009, 04:33:45 pm »
@Vulmea.

I can't agree one bit about Ngog's attitude - his attitude looks fine to me. As for the relative ages - Rafa prefers to bring his players through when they're physically ready. Whatever you say about Insua, physically he's been massively impressive. To an extent the same goes for Ngog and the bought in young players.

In terms of them developing, well, I think there's also a fan attitude problem you touch on. Arsenal are only perceived to be better to watch because, quite frankly, a lot of people only watch half a football game. Their defending is absolutely painful to watch and I'd be horifically depressed if Liverpool defended so horifically, making the same basic mistakes and with the defence actually purely set up to attack and not really to defend at all, after tumpty years under a manager who still hasn't managed to come close to replacing a defence he inherited from someone else. Wenger is the definition of a limited manager, and he will never take Arsenal further than they are now, because their limitations will always be exposed by teams above a certain level. His real problem is that there's more of those teams in England now than there were when he started.

Insua, for example, is a better defender now, after half a season around the first team, than Clichy will ever be - and he's catching up quick in attack. I've no doubt he'll improve. But the pressure is also an issue - I'm convinced we could see a very different Lucas if he had his name sung loudly by the Anfield crowd just once. He desperately needs a break but the pressure is insane and stifling, unjustified and coming from sources that should be the bedrock of our stability - the media will always twist the knife but fans and owners should be rock solid foundations. Instead the owners are a total joke and too many of our fans are simply led by the media.

Anyway, that's me getting hugely sidetracked. I still can't remember there being better youngsters on the fringes than Kelly, Ayala, Spearing, Ngog, Insua etc for many a long year. Insua has already shown that the good ones will get minutes - so will Kelly. He should now be 2nd choice RB after Johnson, and should play in the Carling and get a few appearances and plenty on the bench too - his versatility is also a huge asset because he can play across the back 4, it doesn't take that many injuries for him to be rotated in again.

Plus, he's only 19 and I think Rafa only likes to really blood players in when they are properly physically developed - stopped growing etc, which means 20-21 years.

It's only now that he's got a crop of youngsters that he's got faith in - and Kelly (Insua too) look far better than Warnock did in his early appearances, and you say he didn't get games but in fact he did, he got lots of chances under Rafa, none under Houllier at all and frankly owes a lot to Rafa, who showed faith in the lad, but the lad didn't play as well as he is now, or as well as Insua has in starting out, for example, and was replaced by a significantly better player in Aurelio, with a desperately needed £1.5million profit on that deal to boot - and you ask when they'll get games - but they are getting games.

For years we've been saying he should try youngsters instead of cheap squaddies - well - isn't that exactly what he's doing? How else do youngsters get games? Ayala put himself right on the radar but is too young - but is excelling in the reserves. Spearing had a poor debut and will be back on fringe duty, and we'll hopefully see him come back stronger in the Carling Cup - Kelly had a top debut, looks physically ready, is in the CL squad ahead of Degen and I would be surprised if we see Degen at all now, I would think Kelly has displaced him as reserve RB.

I've always said that we'll see youngsters when a) there's players Rafa has faith in and b) when chances present themselves. Well, it's now the time I predicted should be enough for Rafa to have a crop and, lo and behold, they have indeed been tried when injuries, their form, and the poor form of others have given them a realistic chance.

That seems to me to be the way it should be, and I'm convinced that if Rafa stays we will see more and more of this in seasons to come - not least because that's one of the only ways we can surmount our financial handicap, and now that Rafa's had some measure of control you can see that, at least tactically, players like Ngog and Kelly and Ayala step in with a lot more comfort (in Spearing's case he's looked more comfortable playing further forward, as he's been more regularly employed in the reserves and his cameos, that was a huge ask but then I think it shows faith in him too, rather than playing Plessis who he's rightly moved ahead of in the pecking order, or Aurelio who was awful on his midfield outing) than, say, Degen and Kyrgiakos did on their debuts.

In short, you're not going to dent my optimism in that respect ;) Of course, Gulasci and Nemeth have also both excelled on loan, and were stars in the Hungary u20's run to the semi's of the world cup for that age group - having done the same at the u19's where I first really noticed just how good Gulasci is - that's a great sign because that's a massive, massive over-achievement for a nation of Hungary's side, who will of course rely on outstanding individuals, lacking the population to have depth like a Brazil do, or we should.

I also remember what the reserves were like under Houllier, the comparison to now is like night and day. Pacheco and Della Valle are just the pick of the iceberg - there's very few players in that reserve team who don't look to at least have the potential to raise some decent cash - we made money off Anderson, for example, and have replaced him with Amoo who looks, for me, just as good at that level, and with a far more likely to succeed type of physique. Bouzanis is another one, Ecclestone another - it's a far cry from when Djimi Traore was one of our hottest defensive prospects - I remember seeing him and he was hugely limited compared to Ayala, for example, yet he really was one of our hottest defensive prospects.

Right now, I'd take the potential of Ayala, Kelly, Mavinga over the likes of Potter, Raven and Whitbread which constituted the cream of our youth crop not so long ago. It also means a level of competition and ability and hopefully motivation in training that was not there a few years ago, where the reserves had a lot of demotivated failed signings, and the better youth prospects basically had no real competition and were seemingly never tested on loan, nor given the kind of chances in the first team that Benitez has offered ever since his arrival - if the likes of Mellor got a chance then I honestly don't worry about Nemeth and Pacheco getting minutes.

Offline matrishka

• Kemlynite
« Reply #8551 on: October 21, 2009, 04:41:39 pm »
Can I just say really quickly that its great to see some level headed and coherent analysis of the match last night and of the situation we find ourselves in, in general. Very appropriate re-name of the thread too!

Keep up the great work guys, I've learnt loads from reading this thread and hopefully one day I'll be brave enough to post some of my own opinions. ;D
"I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager.

"Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone." - Rafael Benitez

Offline hesbighesred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8552 on: October 21, 2009, 04:46:34 pm »
@HBHR
But re Skrtel and being good in the air how many goals has scored from set pieces for Liverpool? He's not bad in the air but I simply don't have the confidence in our defence when crosses come in since the big blonde mop stopped playing reguarly. Fully take your point about Sami not being on the pitch much last season. My point is more that we need one of our CBs to be like Terry is in the air (at both ends of the pitch).

And you are correct about Skrtel's pace, he just isn't great at 1-on-1 covering, especially when pulled out wide. Something CBs obviously need to be able to do if you want to play high. So mybad in not explaining myself very well. I said pace when I meant something a bit different.

Didn't realise it was Mach who gave the ball away so thanks for pointing that out. Still think we had enough players back to deal with the situation however.
SJH - I mean in terms of defensive heading. The lack of goals in attack, for me, is a product of us not having a proper reliable corner taker. Someone mentioned something about Rafa being reluctant to have Aurelio on corners, especially from the right, because if it breaks down the team is pulled out of shape. Gerrard is chosen because he's the best of the players with a 'free-er' role, which makes a lot of sense to me. I'm really hoping Aquilani can rectify that long-standing issue at least to a degree. I say this because Skrtel has a decent scoring record for Slovakia. Indeed Agger does as well, and he doesn't score from corners for us either - no-one does. Even Hyppia didn't score nearly as many as he used to, even when a regular in the team. Maybe it's wishful thinking, but then again in the games where we've had a different corner taker, who's played it accurately, with Gerrard in there we've suddenly looked quite dangerous.

I also wonder if it might be one of the last details for Rafa to work on - attack wise I mean. In that he started with the defence, moved to midfield then attack, then it should be about putting in the last bits of the jigsaw, but then this season we've had defensive problems so if he was planning on filling that in as a detail he'd have other, far more important priorities now.

I also think Hyppia kind of disguised how good Skrtel actually is in the air. When people say he's lacking, do they actually mean he isn't very good, or is it just that we're comparing him with Hyppia?

Because the thing is, NO-ONE is as good in the air as Hyppia, at either end of the pitch. Without any doubt at all, aerially he's one of the very best there has ever been - I mean that - ever. I remember when Berbatov beat him twice from a similar situation against Spurs - but I remember it because it's so stupendously rare. Hyppia being beaten in the air full stop was something of an event - twice in the same match was like Haley's comet landing right in my tea of a morning. The kind of thing that sticks in your head.

There is no replacing that. But in his own terms I see nothing wrong with Skrtel's defensive heading at all, and I think in time, while he will never be Hyppia, I see no reason why he can't go from being good to being dominant, because he has a good leap and gets some huge distance on it.

The combinaition of Hyppia's memory being too fresh, and Skrtel having played with a broken jaw (which would explain tentative and poor cleared headers - much of Hyppia's secret was his absolute commitment, which Srktel showed against Chelsea, for me, where he was very good in the air against extremely tough opponents in that respect) has led to people dismissing his aerial ability, when I think it's actually pretty good.

Fair point about his composure in 1 on 1 situations though - he still has a lot to learn about using his brain, positition and timing in tackles rather than just his considerable brawn. Again it's something that Hyppia was a master of, and it's a shame that Skrtel doesn't have him to learn from because technically he's a better role model than Carra for a defender to model himself on.

Offline hesbighesred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8553 on: October 21, 2009, 04:58:16 pm »
92A - do you mind if I post that last one of yours to the main board. Is roy's 'important posts you might have missed' still floating in the ether?
Dammit man, 4 posts and every one considered.
Yup, well and truly welcome aboard 92. That last paints a very worrying picture - but I agree, I think losing Rafa would be a disaster.
Sorry, Redy, I should really clarify. I'm not saying our youngsters right now are just breathtakingly stunning, a Man U of 92 style crop of world beaters who will take us to the title.

What I mean is there's a good number of players on the fringes who look to have the potential to achieve for us on a sliding scale from future first team, future squad to future decent fee. I've always said to people that that is the aim of a youth system - the odd bonus quality, the future bulk of our squad and a profit making enterprise, indeed we need all three from it to compete with better funded rivals. I also always said you wouldn't start seeing the fruits of it until round about now, and that's exactly what we are seeing - youngsters with promise who are considered good enough to try in games, rather than us signing frees in the transfer window or whatever. Indeed, were Kelly and Ayala a year or two older, or even if Kelly didn't have the u20 competition, we may not have seen Kyrgiakos signed.

I'm not saying they're all destined to fire us to dominance, but there's on or two future first teamers in there, one or two future squaddies and the rest I think should make us a bit of cash - Ngog for example. Make it or not, but he's got to be worth more than £1.5million based on what he's done so far. The likes of Nemeth, Gulasci and behind them Pacheco then Mavinga, Della Valle etc etc suggest to me we are seeing the first examples of a genuine production line.

Not Barca style yet, but Hopefully something like Man U have with money saved on squaddies and cash in the bank for re-investment.

Offline sjh

• Main Stander
    • www.learnasone.org
« Reply #8554 on: October 21, 2009, 05:03:51 pm »
Agree with you about a lack of good corners takers. When was our last good one? Garry McAllister?

I really don't understand why a top-notch set piece taker isn't a key, key part of our side. Now this is a massive overstatement but it's a bit like a rugby team not picking a world-class kicker because they feel they think they can win through scoring more tries than the opposition.

Re Skrtel I agree that he's good in the air. The problem is that we are supposed to be one of the best sides in Europe and he isn't world class in the air and he isn't world class in 1-on-1 defending. He's also no better than ok as a ball playing centre half. Hence he shouldn't be good enough for our first XI. I'm not for a moment saying he is a bad defender, just is he good enough for the level we want and the style of football we want to play?

Offline redy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8555 on: October 21, 2009, 05:05:08 pm »
Yup, well and truly welcome aboard 92. That last paints a very worrying picture - but I agree, I think losing Rafa would be a disaster.Sorry, Redy, I should really clarify. I'm not saying our youngsters right now are just breathtakingly stunning, a Man U of 92 style crop of world beaters who will take us to the title.

What I mean is there's a good number of players on the fringes who look to have the potential to achieve for us on a sliding scale from future first team, future squad to future decent fee. I've always said to people that that is the aim of a youth system - the odd bonus quality, the future bulk of our squad and a profit making enterprise, indeed we need all three from it to compete with better funded rivals. I also always said you wouldn't start seeing the fruits of it until round about now, and that's exactly what we are seeing - youngsters with promise who are considered good enough to try in games, rather than us signing frees in the transfer window or whatever. Indeed, were Kelly and Ayala a year or two older, or even if Kelly didn't have the u20 competition, we may not have seen Kyrgiakos signed.

I'm not saying they're all destined to fire us to dominance, but there's on or two future first teamers in there, one or two future squaddies and the rest I think should make us a bit of cash - Ngog for example. Make it or not, but he's got to be worth more than £1.5million based on what he's done so far. The likes of Nemeth, Gulasci and behind them Pacheco then Mavinga, Della Valle etc etc suggest to me we are seeing the first examples of a genuine production line.

Not Barca style yet, but Hopefully something like Man U have with money saved on squaddies and cash in the bank for re-investment.

That's exactly what I think the aim should be. It will never be Barca style coz of the 90 minute rule, although it probably won't be even without the 90min rule.

I think where we disagree is that you think a good number of potential squad players are coming through, while I am looking at willl they actually be a part of the regular squad with no competing buys in their positions. You are seeing potential while I think we will find out in the future. Either way I think we both agree that the time to judge is in 2 years to see if Kelly, Nemeth, Ayala or anybody else has become a regular squad member.

Offline JP-65

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8556 on: October 21, 2009, 05:08:57 pm »
Thanks HBHR,

I'd say that this lack of pressing capability is the route cause of our defensive problems.  In the past, it took teams an awful lot of effort and skill to get the ball into and through our midfield.

Poorer teams didn't have the capability to do it, so had to lump it up and rely on a big guy to control it, or a speedy guy to get on it, and we were generally able to handle this as the oppo's numbers would be limited.

Good teams had the capability to get through us, but required great effort, and we were often able to "outlast" them.....or as you say, we pressed selectively and maintained our shape defensively to frustrate them.

It seems to me that right now, we are completely open to be attacked.  We're not pressing effectively and being cut apart, and when we don't press we're not maintaining a solid defensive shape, and of course, individual errors and set plays have cost us big time

Offline Juan Loco

• down in Acapulco. LIkes 'em salty and succulent, the wee lambies!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We've got our valuation and we're sticking to it
« Reply #8557 on: October 21, 2009, 05:27:13 pm »
Nothing like a defeat the dust the soapboxes off and get the creative juices flowing, eh lads?

Some good stuff in here today. Wordy, but good.
"It's the football philosophy that counts, not the system."

A fully signed-up member of SPAS
The Stuart Pearce Apologist Society

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8558 on: October 21, 2009, 05:37:28 pm »

Nice one. Please do us all a favour and stay!

This is a salvation from the rest of RAWK. And I've, to be honest, been treating it like that pretty much since the thread's inception (purely because I know pretty much everyone on this thread's opinions are worth a read). We've shared the good times- looked at why we're playing so great, and we've also had a few chances to discuss the problems this team's facing. And as I said- it's the people's opinions on here that are well constructed and well thought out rather than just the banal "RAFA out" or "We were shite" we get on the main board.

I've not got much to add these days- as (thankfully, I guess) football's not been on the forefront of my mind lately so I've not had much time to dwell on our last 4 matches- watch them all in frustration, yes, but dwell on them, no.

“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #8559 on: October 21, 2009, 05:45:03 pm »
ah set piece delivery, Aurelio's delivery has been a bit odd in the last 2 games, noticed him overhit corners a few times yesterday and it really annoyed me especially as Agger usually gets himself on the end of a lot of near post corners. This definately needs to be improved, goals from set pieces make all the difference, who can take set pieces for us now? who should we have taking them?

EDIT:

just read a Gedo post saying that Gerrard and Torres are not going to be fit in time for Sunday..
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 05:56:08 pm by rapcage »
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England