Author Topic: Sony PlayStation 4  (Read 506301 times)

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Sony PlayStation 4
« Reply #8400 on: April 16, 2019, 12:21:12 pm »
Review embargo for Day's Gone will be lifted the day before release.

Not a good sign but I hope it turns out decent.

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #8401 on: April 16, 2019, 12:29:34 pm »
Review embargo for Day's Gone will be lifted the day before release.

Not a good sign but I hope it turns out decent.

Why is that not good, if it's the day before release? People could still cancel their preorders.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8402 on: April 16, 2019, 01:22:57 pm »
Why is that not good, if it's the day before release? People could still cancel their preorders.

God of War reviews came out a week before release which suggests Sony were confident in the game.

It’s good for the consumer obviously but it might suggest the game isn’t up to much.

Offline GiorgosCarraGoonies

• Kopite
« Reply #8403 on: April 16, 2019, 04:01:25 pm »

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #8404 on: April 16, 2019, 05:05:20 pm »
God of War reviews came out a week before release which suggests Sony were confident in the game.

It’s good for the consumer obviously but it might suggest the game isn’t up to much.

You could also argue that they don't want to have too much build up for the release so people don't get fed up with watching content while they still can't play the game. Surely, if it was shite they'd just have the embargo last until release day or even the day after that like others have done in the past.

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8405 on: April 16, 2019, 05:12:57 pm »
I don’t think review embargo’s really matter that much. My concern for Days Gone comes from those who’ve played it at preview events, it just sounds like a decent game, but nothing spectacular.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8406 on: April 16, 2019, 05:46:45 pm »
I plan on getting Days Gone but if it tanks in the reviews then I'll swerve it.

I know the BR genre is getting a bit saturated right now but i really thought this would be the perfect BR game if they included that mode in an online component. Its 3rd person, its open world, with vehicles, with heavy aspects on crafting and upgrading and survival in general. Alas there isn't even an online mode.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8407 on: April 16, 2019, 05:53:33 pm »
Specs for PS5 officially revealed.

Btw anyone see that interview with mane a few weeks back where he credited part of his success was because he didn't spend time on the PlayStation?  ;D
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8408 on: April 16, 2019, 06:35:54 pm »
Specs for PS5 officially revealed.

Btw anyone see that interview with mane a few weeks back where he credited part of his success was because he didn't spend time on the PlayStation?  ;D

Backwards compatibility for PS4 games and 8K apparently.

Once everything goes digital/streaming I’ll be packing it all in.

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8409 on: April 16, 2019, 08:49:22 pm »
They haven't been officially revealed. They've just offered a few tidbits in terms of architecture and such. 8k is a pipe dream right now, hitting 4k at a consistent 60fps is much more realistic. I know they said its 8k capable but I wouldn't really expect that. 4k is only just becoming more mainstream.

Offline Ultimate Bromance

• The Crab
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8410 on: April 17, 2019, 03:09:22 am »

If it ever comes to pass, think I'm of the same mind to be honest, just doesn't appeal to me.
Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose.

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #8411 on: April 17, 2019, 10:10:48 am »
Backwards compatibility for PS4 games and 8K apparently.

I digitally buy all my games, have for about a year, makes it much easier to swap games, no more scratches discs etc... love it

I have to say I am not sure I am a fan of the streaming method previewed on Google Stadia though.

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8412 on: April 17, 2019, 10:19:57 am »
I tried Playstation Now and thought it was absolute shite. Not sure how others found it, but we got the 360 back out and the original Red Dead Redemption played much better. Granted that was over a year ago but I can't imagine it's improved that much.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #8413 on: April 17, 2019, 10:38:05 am »
Biggest issue with digital is drive space. I've got a 2TB internal and 4TB external drive in my setup and it is really starting to struggle. The 100+GB Red Dead 2 meant I had to make a few sacrifices with some old PS+ games.

Other big issue is the god awful wifi the PS4 has and even with a Cat6 ethernet cable going from the router, through a gigabit Powerline upstairs to my games room it still isn't great.

Plus the library needs tweaking to best suit your needs. It doesn't sort your menu in terms of disk vs digital games unless you do it yourself

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #8414 on: April 17, 2019, 11:46:22 am »
Biggest issue with digital is drive space. I've got a 2TB internal and 4TB external drive in my setup and it is really starting to struggle. The 100+GB Red Dead 2 meant I had to make a few sacrifices with some old PS+ games.

A digital game and a disc game both take up the same space.

Offline has gone odd

• a tru-ro...I mean....red!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #8415 on: April 17, 2019, 01:06:26 pm »
exactly, the disc is just a piracy check. you'll note the drive goes quiet a minute or so after the game has launched. still prefer physical over digital as i like tangible items, though if a digital version is dirt cheap im happy to buy it twice.

in other news the PS5 though! a few more details are out now, 8 core Ryzen CPU sounds great but PS4 compatibility would certainly sell me on a day one purchase. Not sure about the GPU though, anyone have exact info on this yet?
- all in my opinion of course -

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #8416 on: April 17, 2019, 02:01:55 pm »
A digital game and a disc game both take up the same space.

Yep. But sticking a disk in vs downloading 100GB at 700kb/s

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8417 on: April 17, 2019, 04:45:56 pm »

in other news the PS5 though! a few more details are out now, 8 core Ryzen CPU sounds great but PS4 compatibility would certainly sell me on a day one purchase. Not sure about the GPU though, anyone have exact info on this yet?

I imagine we will get ps4 bc as it will.still be x86. There isn't any other more info other than what was in the wired article.

It's a smart move on Sony's part, they've basically told us nothing but used a few buzzwords like 8k, ray tracing etc. All stuff MS will speak about in their conference at E3.

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #8418 on: April 17, 2019, 05:21:32 pm »
Yep. But sticking a disk in vs downloading 100GB at 700kb/s

Actually not to be that guy but sometimes installing from disc is actually slower, it is definitely the case for RDR2 for example. Another example was the new Spider-Man game, most people reported it as about 45 minute install from disc, my friend had it downloaded and installed in less than that.

On disc it is compressed, it removes compression first then install - however if you're on potato internet I can understand the difference, I use fibre myself which is the default in my area and find digital purchases quicker than going down the shop, getting it, coming back and installing, by a long shot.

Also pre-loading for new games is ace.

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8419 on: April 22, 2019, 03:59:32 pm »
Yeah but digital versions of games are nearly always £10 - £15 more than physical copies, even more so when you consider you can re-sell or trade in a physical copy.

Offline skooma

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Our change into rain is no change at all.
« Reply #8420 on: April 24, 2019, 09:13:40 pm »
I kind of wish I got more of my games digital just so I don't swap disks. I'm still in the old mentality of consoles=disks even though my Steam library is 500+ games deep.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8421 on: April 25, 2019, 08:28:52 am »
Yeah but digital versions of games are nearly always £10 - £15 more than physical copies, even more so when you consider you can re-sell or trade in a physical copy.
I usually only buy games on sale, and where I'm from I find they are always cheaper on the PS Store (although not resellable).
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 08:34:42 am by Malaysian Kopite »
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8422 on: April 25, 2019, 10:43:38 am »
Review embargo lifted at 1pm today for Day’s Gone.

And they seem mixed. Probably get this further down the line.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 01:32:23 pm by AndyMuller »

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8423 on: April 25, 2019, 08:47:52 pm »
Seems to be clocking in around the 5-7 mark on reviews.

Many saying it’s to repetitive and the world is quite bland.

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8424 on: April 25, 2019, 08:53:18 pm »
I'm not gonna bother.

It looks like a good bit of mindless fun but if your gonna make a single player only game it really needs to be of the calibre of GoW, TLOU (I know it had a mp), Spiderman etc. (That's the bar which playstation sp games have set)

I always thought this was an opportunity missed in a saturated sub genre where the open world, motorbike and crafting aspect really lent its self to a battle royale mode.

The story seems average and the missions repetitive and not at all memorable, two things which you need to nail if your going SP only.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8425 on: May 1, 2019, 10:55:29 pm »
Anyone ever succesfully got a refund from playstation for an unauthorised payment? Just had £50.98 come out of my paypal tonight. It's for 2 games that are on my profile that were downloaded some time ago. Makes no sense.

Edit - 1 of them is Call of Duty Modern Warfare Remastered. My lad downloaded this on 9th March when it was a free PS plus game.
The other is Ark: Survival Evolved. Fuck knows when this is from.

Edit 2 - I can see on his profile he earned a trophy on Ark from 2017
« Last Edit: May 1, 2019, 11:58:43 pm by Barneylfc »
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline dalarr

• hästarr. Call me sensitive.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8426 on: May 3, 2019, 02:52:52 pm »
Evwry single time I have to update my credit card information on PSN something goes wrong. Either it won’t accept my ccv code or my adress. Everything is typed in correctly. A lot of people are having the same problem.
It’s odd, that entering payment information is so easy everywhere else, yet Sony seems NOT to want their customers money.

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8427 on: May 12, 2019, 10:27:28 am »
Rage 2 is out on Tuesday, anyone picking it up? I never played the first one, but obviously love Quake, Doom etc. Watched some preview videos yesterday and it looks like they’ve done a really good job, can’t see this getting less than 8/10.

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8428 on: May 13, 2019, 01:45:48 pm »
Yet another average set of reviews for Rage 2. Bought 1 game for the Switch this year and that's it.

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8429 on: May 13, 2019, 05:10:31 pm »
Saw someone has done a FULL GAME walkthrough of Rage 2 on youtube already.

Video clocks in at 1 hour 20 minutes...

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8430 on: May 14, 2019, 07:32:23 pm »
Yet another average set of reviews for Rage 2. Bought 1 game for the Switch this year and that's it.

This year has been a bit dry for great games.

Sekiro and Smash Bros being the standouts so far.

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8431 on: May 14, 2019, 08:15:27 pm »
DMC V has been the best I've played so far. Granted not played Sekiro but didn't fancy it in the end to be honest.

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8432 on: May 16, 2019, 06:33:46 pm »
Yeah that got some good reviews. Played the old ones, will defo look to pick that up in a summer sale.

Online Garlicbread

• Veet lurk brurred.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8433 on: May 16, 2019, 09:03:14 pm »
Bought Days Gone despite the mild reception and I have to say that I really like the game actually.

I would recommend people giving it a go once it's cheaper in the future.

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8434 on: May 16, 2019, 09:25:42 pm »
Yea I'm gonna get it when it drops to about 30 quid

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #8435 on: May 16, 2019, 10:03:00 pm »

Microsoft and Sony strike games streaming deal

Microsoft and Sony have formed a partnership on video games streaming, despite being fierce competitors.

It is expected Sony will use Microsoft’s Azure cloud service to host its upcoming PlayStation streaming service.

Microsoft has been trialling a streaming offer of its own, under its Xbox brand.

The firms said they would also work together on semiconductors and artificial intelligence applications.

"For many years, Microsoft has been a key business partner for us, though of course the two companies have also been competing in some areas,” said Kenichio Yoshida, Sony’s chief executive.

“I believe that our joint development of future cloud solutions will contribute greatly to the advancement of interactive content.”

Microsoft’s chief executive, Satya Nadella, said: "Sony has always been a leader in both entertainment and technology, and the collaboration we announced today builds on this history of innovation.”

The two companies have been bitter rivals in gaming since the launch of the first Xbox console in 2001.

But in its pursuit to compete with Amazon Web Services, hosting PlayStation’s streaming service would be a major coup for Azure, the fastest growing part of Microsoft’s business.

For Sony, if its PlayStation is to remain competitive, it too is likely to need to move heavily into streaming full, high-quality games over the internet.

Industry analysts say Sony might have struggled to do it alone.

"Everybody else has a head start on them,” said Rebekah Valentine, from GamesIndustry.biz.

“There was a lot of discussion that Sony seemed to going the traditional route of making a normal console and continuing with what they had been doing in the past. This partnership with Microsoft shows they are fully exploring streaming technology.”

'Best choice'

Sony already has a significant footing in games streaming - its PS Now service, which offers streaming access to the PlayStation back catalogue, accounts for 36% share of the $387m global games streaming market, said analyst Piers Harding-Rolls, from IHS Markit.

However, with the streaming market expected to expand rapidly over the next five years, Sony’s comparative lack of expertise and infrastructure left it exposed.

"It is clear that Microsoft is the best choice for Sony even with the competitive dynamic between Xbox and PlayStation,” Mr Harding-Rolls said.

"Working together they have a better chance to head off competition from the likes of Google, which has gone on to dominate the last wave of technology disruption in the mobile space alongside Apple."

While precise details of the partnership are still vague, the companies also said they would be working together on new semiconductors, image sensors and artificial intelligence.

For Microsoft, that opens the door to getting its cloud technology integrated into more consumer products, such as cameras and televisions, rather than working mostly on business applications as it does today.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #8436 on: May 29, 2019, 08:20:51 pm »
Death Stranding release date trailer:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/piIgkJWDuQg" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/piIgkJWDuQg</a>

Rumours going around said Death Stranding and Last Of Us 2 trailers this week, both releasing this autumn. So perhaps TLOU before the end of the week.
:D

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8437 on: May 31, 2019, 01:49:05 pm »
I dont know what the fuck kojima is making but I'm getting it! That decima engine is unreal

Offline Casta

• way
  • Anny Roader
  • Kiba, Per Sempre nel mio Cuore...
« Reply #8438 on: May 31, 2019, 05:43:16 pm »
Death Stranding looks fked up but supeb, launch day purchase i think...
Nostalgia isn’t what it used to be

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8439 on: August 1, 2019, 07:35:18 pm »
How is it that the past 2 years when my PS Plus has ran out I’ve bought it from cdkeys and it hasn’t automatically took the funds from my wallet for buying from PlayStation themselves but this year it has? Pretty sure the past 2 years I’ve had automatic renewal turned off!