Author Topic: Preview: West Bromwich Albion V Liverpool 26 September  (Read 84588 times)

Re: Preview: West Bromwich Albion V Liverpool 26 September
« Reply #320 on: September 26, 2012, 05:36:27 pm »
Early round in CC is not the same if you get WBA away. There is a very good chance we will get a much easier opponent in the next round.

Besides Jones can play in the Europa anyways - those are not knockout matches.
Jones is hardly a problem, Reina needs the competition

Offline johnny74

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #321 on: September 26, 2012, 05:38:16 pm »
I suppose it's the worst possible draw for us. Damned if he plays a weakened squad, damned if he doesn't.

I don't think it will go down well if he plays a weaker team. And if West Brom turn up they'd easily beat that weaker team. Even with a full strength side we'd still find it hard work to beat them. Best thing to do might be to just let the youngster have a go. Then if we lose it's less embarassing. It's too early to start trying to stay in every competition. Wait for the FA Cup.

« Reply #322 on: September 26, 2012, 05:38:34 pm »
Perhaps we disagree on the experience of Sahin and Assaidi. For me, only Carra, Downing and Henderson are experienced (in England)
What does experience in England have to do with it, they are both good players who have played alot of professional football at a high level. I'm sure they'll be fine

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #323 on: September 26, 2012, 05:39:55 pm »
No doubt if he chose a full strength side you'd have some on here moaning about him not giving the youngsters / non regulars a chance.

Should be an entertaining game looking forward to seeing Sahin having more influence on a game.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #324 on: September 26, 2012, 05:40:41 pm »
Really hope Robinson, Yesil, Henderson play tonight as well as Wisdom playing alongside Coates.  Not sure about Sahin for tonight but if we start with him and Henderson in midfield and we have some pace on the wings then we should score goals. Also, hows Borini?

Anyway, hopefully we use this competition to progress some of our real lightweights of our youth squad, while using the Europa for higher up, slightly more experienced youngsters
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline jamieredders

• Legacy Fan
  • Upper Centenary Boys - We Are Here
    • Live Online Footy at a bargain price
« Reply #325 on: September 26, 2012, 05:41:57 pm »
Thats the problem. We have our first team.....and then the kids. There is no experienced backup! Of course if Agger, Borini, Kelly, Flanagan, Cole and Enrique were fit and Shelvey not suspended then we could play a stronger team. But thats the situation we're in. Nothing else Rodgers can do without seriously risking injury to our first teamers and our performance at Norwich.

Yep.  The days of highly paid reserver players are well and truly over........well we do have a few left lurking in the background.

I see it like this......the new philosophy......First 11 of the highest quality we can muster..............rest of squad highly talented youngsters with a bit between the teeth.

That's where we have gone wrong in recent seasons..........not enough quality in the first 11 and a bench full of even less quality being paid a Kings ransom.

There is no doubt we are going the Arsenal route.  Some won't like it, but no problem to me.

As for tonight, this is the youngsters opportunity......Arsenal and I think Man U too have had great success using the League Cup as a sort of Youth Cup. Not neccessarily winning it, but going far and the youngsters gaining great experience.

Personally I think WBA away is one of the worst draws we could have got.  Premiership side, away from home and a Premiership side that is likely to be taking it seriously. 

I think our youngsters will do well to go through.

Come on lads

:)

Season Ticket Holder in 2011.  A 16 year wait for a top seat in CE6.

« Reply #326 on: September 26, 2012, 05:41:58 pm »
still want us to win tonight though, thin squad or not, and i reckon the travellnig kop would feel the same, couldnt see them paying money to go to a match and not be arsed if we lose. Always a good chance of silverware this one, should treat it as a trophy we want to win.
I never said I didn't care if we lose and I don't see how that team is as week as some suggest. The only problem I see is the same one we've had and that's a striker. Apart from Yesil, Pacheco, Wilson and Wisdom I'd say the rest of the squad is pretty strong

Offline And Could He Play

• aka And Could He Play.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #327 on: September 26, 2012, 05:46:08 pm »
No doubt if he chose a full strength side you'd have some on here moaning about him not giving the youngsters / non regulars a chance.

Should be an entertaining game looking forward to seeing Sahin having more influence on a game.

and the same people asking for kids to play tonight, will be the same people first in here moaning when we lose.
www. ... .com      RAWK Clique Leader
Not saying my ex girlfriend was a slag but even the label in her knickers said next.

Offline memoriesgone

• Anny Roader
« Reply #328 on: September 26, 2012, 05:48:19 pm »
We can, from the back Reina - Wisdom, Skrtel, Coates, Robbo - Sahin, Hendo looks pretty strong. You can argue about playing Skrtel but he has shown in the last two seasons he can play a lot of games.

Also keep Suarez, Allen on the bench and can bring them on for about 30 mins.

Let me ask you this ... would you be happy if Skrtel got a red card and Coates got injured tonight and we had to play Wilson and Carra at the weekend? Also what if Reina picks up an injury or a card and Jones had to come in against Norwich? With 20 man squad that's already thinner due to injuries/suspensions, I don't know if we could do any better than the team that's being put out. It's not like we're fielding a much weaker team on purpose. You know our next few games are today, Saturday, Thursday and Sunday and we have what 14-15 senior players available? Doesn't look good to me. We need to be cautious. No two ways about it.

Offline eirwen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #329 on: September 26, 2012, 05:48:30 pm »
Excited to see some kids play. Sinclair in the squad? Pretty amazing.

Offline Cadno

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #330 on: September 26, 2012, 05:49:16 pm »
and the same people asking for kids to play tonight, will be the same people first in here moaning when we lose.
Surlely that should be IF we lose?
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former"  - Albert Einstein

Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt - Mark Twain(Was talking about H&G)

"When you can't walk, you crawl. When you can't crawl, you get a friend to carry you" - Firefly

Offline johnhouldinglfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #331 on: September 26, 2012, 05:49:52 pm »
To those saying playing Coates he can handle 2 games in 4 days.

It's not about just West Brom and Norwich, it's about managing the squad for the entire season.

At the moment we have a minimum of 40 games (and that is assuming we lose tonight, lose our first game in the FA Cup and don't qualify from the group stages of the Europa League)

However the maximum possible games we have is 60. YES 60

We have already played 10 competitive games this season.

Our first choice centre-back Agger is currently injured and has a history of constant injuries throughout his career.

If Coates played tonight and got injured, we would be probably looking at a situation on Saturday where it was a Skrtel Carra starting partnership with Wilson on the bench. (The other alternative is rushing Agger back which given his injury history strikes me as reckless.)
This would mean Johnson at right-back and Enrique at left-back.
In terms of sub cover we would be looking at Robinson as left-back cover and with Flanagan injured, Wisdom as cover for right-back.

Given the league situation it's would hardly be the most reassuring of situations.

Let's not forget that we still have the small matter of the Europa League games.

Throw in the fact that when the international "break" comes around a lot of the defence will be travelling at the very least, and will most likely be playing.

To pick one point Pepe could probably handle 70 games in a season.

However what sort of message would this send to Jones and Gulacsi?

Basically - you will be on the subs bench unless we have no other option.

Being a sub keeper means that you know that your chances are restricted but it have it spelled out that you would only see action if there were no other option would surely affect your morale.

This would surely affect Jones and Gulacsi's attitude in training.

In the longer-term how likely would Jones and Gulacsi be to stick around at the club? What sort of message would it send in terms of signing future backup keepers?

You can apply this to other positions in the squad with similar results.

In terms of signing promising young players, this further reinforces the message sign with Liverpool and you with get competitive game time.
Compare this to say Chelsea with their message of sign for us and end up forgotten on loan somewhere.

Just because it's not the strongest possible eleven it's not as if the players are going out to lose.

It's about Rodgers picking the team based on achieving the greatest level of overall success for the club.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 05:53:10 pm by johnhouldinglfc »

Offline jamieredders

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #332 on: September 26, 2012, 05:53:00 pm »
To those saying playing Coates he can handle 2 games in 4 days.

It's not about just West Brom and Norwich, it's about managing the squad for the entire season.

At the moment we have a minimum of 40 games (and that is assuming we lose tonight, lose our first game in the FA Cup and don't qualify from the group stages of the Europa League)

However the maximum possible games we have is 60. YES 60

We have already played 10 competitive games this season.

I make it 69 games we can play this season........59 to go

Soixante-Neuf
 ;D

Offline johnhouldinglfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #333 on: September 26, 2012, 05:54:53 pm »
I make it 69 games we can play this season........59 to go

Soixante-Neuf
 ;D

Semi-final of the League Cup is 2 legged affair. Could that be difference.

Also I've forgotten to take into account possible replays so the number could be even higher.

Offline one2escape

• Main Stander
« Reply #334 on: September 26, 2012, 05:56:57 pm »

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #335 on: September 26, 2012, 05:58:13 pm »
Well done to him. Must be buzzing.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline jamieredders

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #336 on: September 26, 2012, 05:59:12 pm »
Semi-final of the League Cup is 2 legged affair. Could that be difference.

Also I've forgotten to take into account possible replays so the number could be even higher.

Not sure what you've got mate.

I've got a spreadsheet with every possible fixture on it.  Doesn't include replays.  Has 69 rows.

38 Prem
19 Europa - What a joke that is!
6 LC
6 FAC

Offline Gus 1855

• GusMcLean is a direct descendent of wee Jimmy the Jock McSporran, son of Ally McLeod, voted best Flower of Scotland performer 2003. Changed name in hope of attracting Bridesmaid but he's still Scottish as a Glaswegian deep fried Haggis
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #337 on: September 26, 2012, 05:59:15 pm »
Well done to him. Must be buzzing.

Reading that Tweet....he is.
It looks to me as if we have signed another 'average' player. I'll hold back my complete opinion until I see the lad play

Offline Niru Red4ever

• Spoiler spoiler
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #338 on: September 26, 2012, 05:59:41 pm »
Let me ask you this ... would you be happy if Skrtel got a red card and Coates got injured tonight and we had to play Wilson and Carra at the weekend? Also what if Reina picks up an injury or a card and Jones had to come in against Norwich? With 20 man squad that's already thinner due to injuries/suspensions, I don't know if we could do any better than the team that's being put out. It's not like we're fielding a much weaker team on purpose. You know our next few games are today, Saturday, Thursday and Sunday and we have what 14-15 senior players available? Doesn't look good to me. We need to be cautious. No two ways about it.

There is always the risk before every match. You can't take the risk when the next match is  much more important than this one - say a cup semi final or a derby. If you are resting Coates for a small chance that he can get injured/pick up a red card for a match against Norwich then that means you don't value the League Cup at all.

Frankly, if I was the manager I would rest too; coz from the incidents over summer its clear the bosses want higher league finishes only.

I am surprised our fans seem to attach much more importance to a game against Norwich than a Cup match; we always try to the best in every competition we are in.
Would love the 19th more and more trophies; but would love even more to see a fan owned LFC.

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #339 on: September 26, 2012, 06:00:33 pm »
Jerome Sinclair Jerome Sinclair ‏@jeromeNo9

On the bench! So buzz! #dreams!

totes!

Offline RivaGe

• Legacy Fan
  • walk on
« Reply #340 on: September 26, 2012, 06:00:56 pm »
I've never heard of Sinclair before   :-[

Offline Niru Red4ever

• Spoiler spoiler
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #341 on: September 26, 2012, 06:01:40 pm »
Will be interesting to see how many of those who leave even Coates out of their line up will be here angry if we lose the match.
Would love the 19th more and more trophies; but would love even more to see a fan owned LFC.

Offline SteLFC91

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #342 on: September 26, 2012, 06:03:11 pm »
Must be an amazing feeling for Sinclair. He only turned 16 last week!

« Reply #343 on: September 26, 2012, 06:04:38 pm »
Will be interesting to see how many of those who leave even Coates out of their line up will be here angry if we lose the match.
Yes we know, you've made that abundantly clear.

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #344 on: September 26, 2012, 06:05:15 pm »

That's a good thing. You didn't help put pressure on a young player and hype him up leading to his not uncommon breakdown / ego aggrandisement and subsequent fall into League 2 drudgery.

The club shouldn't be showing any youth football footage, marketing overruling sense there.

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #345 on: September 26, 2012, 06:05:22 pm »
He's better than Suarez.

Offline peachybum

• orangeyface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #346 on: September 26, 2012, 06:05:34 pm »

I won't be angry if we lose.  :)

I'd be disappointed because it'll mean the young lads don't get more games to gain experience. I don't start getting angry when we lose in the League Cup until at least the quarter final stage or if we're drawn against United or Chelsea.
I wanna be like Jurgen Klopp

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #347 on: September 26, 2012, 06:06:00 pm »
Reading that Tweet....he is.

I'm a regular Sherlock Holmes.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline RideTheWalrus

• Legacy Fan
  • Urge to kill rising...
« Reply #348 on: September 26, 2012, 06:07:05 pm »
Must be an amazing feeling for Sinclair. He only turned 16 last week!

Younger than me by over a year

Sigh

Sad to see it's finally happening...
Pretty happy with Arse taking it.

Disappointing.
[/quote]

Offline Niru Red4ever

• Spoiler spoiler
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #349 on: September 26, 2012, 06:07:30 pm »
I'd be bloody furious if we played Coates in this game and then against Norwich he was leggy, made a mistake and cost us the game.

I'd be more concerned if a CB becomes leggy by playing 2 games in 4 days after a weeks rest.

Offline one2escape

• Main Stander
« Reply #350 on: September 26, 2012, 06:07:55 pm »

Sigh

Wait till your older than basically everyone

Offline memoriesgone

• Anny Roader
« Reply #351 on: September 26, 2012, 06:11:37 pm »
I'd be more concerned if a CB becomes leggy by playing 2 games in 4 days after a weeks rest.

I don't think that's adding anything new to the discussion. It sounds like a broken record.

Just give it a rest already. Go play FIFA or something.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 06:13:22 pm by memoriesgone »

Offline PhiLFC#1

• The Messiah! He rawks amongst us
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #352 on: September 26, 2012, 06:11:39 pm »

Sigh

Dude you're only like 17 then haha you're not getting old

Is there any team news for this yet? Hoping to see some youngsters again but I hope there is some experience. Don't want to see us get embarrassed by West Brom. Hoping to see Yesil

Offline tommy LFC

• Despite his sophistication, intelligence, wit, charm and extraordinary good looks, nobody wanted to give him one...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • VAR is shite.
« Reply #353 on: September 26, 2012, 06:16:53 pm »
Huge opportunity for either Flanagan, Robinson or Wisdom with Kelly out injured and Enrique hopelessly out of form.
Let us never forget Rafael Benitez and what he did for us. A fighter full of guts and passion. A gentleman full of class and dignity. A football manager full of intelligence and pure genius. A Legend.
Adios Rafa, buena suerte.

Some people say I'm a dreamer...

Offline joezydudek

• Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #354 on: September 26, 2012, 06:19:04 pm »
I am surprised our fans seem to attach much more importance to a game against Norwich than a Cup match; we always try to the best in every competition we are in.

I obviously want us to progress in this competition and perosnally I'd have been tempted to play some players such as Coates and Allen in both games, but given the start to the season we've had, it's clear that the Norwich game is the more important of the two. We really need to start getting points on the board in the league. As I've already said though, that doesn't stop me looking forward to this game and there'll be plenty of those being selected tonight who will feel they are more than capable of working their way into Rodgers' first choice XI.

Offline Niru Red4ever

• Spoiler spoiler
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #355 on: September 26, 2012, 06:19:19 pm »
Huge opportunity for either Flanagan, Robinson or Wisdom with Kelly out injured and Enrique hopelessly out of form.

Flanno is injured, and so is Enrique. Not sure, but think Flanno will be back very soon.

Offline TALBERT

• Shite
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #356 on: September 26, 2012, 06:19:33 pm »
Why Henry and co thought the squad was big enough to manage four competitions is beyond me

and the Europa the biggest competition in terms of games

the only positive out of it all is seeing how good the Kids are compared to the overpriced, over payed has beens still lurking at this club
Number 1 fan of Xabi Alonso Alberto Aquilani Raul Meireles. Barry is pure shite compared to Xabi Alberto Raul!!!!!
KIMI RAIKKONEN LEGEND WDC 2007
Gomes flapping at a ball looks like a sealion trying to have a wank!

Offline Niru Red4ever

• Spoiler spoiler
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #357 on: September 26, 2012, 06:21:45 pm »
I obviously want us to progress in this competition and perosnally I'd have been tempted to play some players such as Coates and Allen in both games, but given the start to the season we've had, it's clear that the Norwich game is the more important of the two. We really need to start getting points on the board in the league. As I've already said though, that doesn't stop me looking forward to this game and there'll be plenty of those being selected tonight who will feel they are more than capable of working their way into Rodgers' first choice XI.

Anyways, we usually end up losing/drawing even when we are favourites. Maybe being the underdog tonight will work in our favour.

Anybody else think that if this match drags into extra time we have the advantage, being with a 'fresh' team?

Offline Art Vandelay

• a.k.a. Terry Gilliam
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #358 on: September 26, 2012, 06:22:28 pm »
I can't see any reason for Coates not to play.  He's young and he needs as much time on the pitch as possible, especially now Agger is out.
"And on the pedestal these words appear: 'My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings: Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!' Nothing beside remains."

Offline joezydudek

• Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #359 on: September 26, 2012, 06:26:27 pm »
Anyways, we usually end up losing/drawing even when we are favourites. Maybe being the underdog tonight will work in our favour.

Anybody else think that if this match drags into extra time we have the advantage, being with a 'fresh' team?

Hopefully so, especially as young kids can usually run for days! I do quite fancy us to win tonight, but am shocked to find the bookies agree.