Author Topic: Boxing thread  (Read 3155115 times)

Online Dull Tools

• Likes James Corden.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Boxing thread
« Reply #67680 on: September 21, 2021, 04:36:25 pm »
And by extension DAZN, who will promote the fuck out of him now.
Not sure that is true. AJ is a free agent now and I am sure he has been assured whatever the best deal is for him. I have heard Sky, DAZN and even Amazon are interested.

Offline Samie

• The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67681 on: September 21, 2021, 04:40:34 pm »
Eddie Hearn has got a $1 Billion contract with DAZN mate. Safe to say AJ was negotiated as part of that deal.

Offline Wild Romany Boy

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #67682 on: September 21, 2021, 04:44:02 pm »
Definitely one of the most interesting fights at heavyweight in years for me. Really depends if Usyk can deal with the power, if he can then it’s a very closely matched fight.

Closely matched is a good way of expressing it. A lot of people seem to downplay Joshua's skills. He is an Olympic champion, he's gone the distance, he's knocked out people quickly, he's visibly learnt as fights have gone in, and he's been super defensive and used the double jab when he has needed to. He's not a great fighter, but he might come to be one, and he is, as of now, at least very, very good.

Online duvva

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #67683 on: September 21, 2021, 04:52:38 pm »
Eddie Hearn has got a $1 Billion contract with DAZN mate. Safe to say AJ was negotiated as part of that deal.
Eddie’s got a billion dollar contract, who’s he fighting, Don King?
“ When I see the Bill Shankly statue, I look at the sentiment on the base. It says: 'He made the people happy’. Well now the modern Liverpool is making the fans and the city happy. And that makes me so proud." - Gerard Houllier

Offline Samie

• The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67684 on: September 21, 2021, 04:57:13 pm »
 ;D

Don King would win by ddogy decision as always mate.

But yeah, Eddie signed a US  and UK boxing deal for a billion with DAZN for the next 8 years at least.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• Has officially given up.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67685 on: September 21, 2021, 04:59:23 pm »
AJ will brutalise him. Im shocked at how many think this a close fight.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67686 on: September 21, 2021, 04:59:59 pm »

He wasn't. Not for uk part anyway

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #67687 on: September 21, 2021, 05:08:43 pm »
He wasn't. Not for uk part anyway
all AJ fights are included in my European DAZN sub (2 quid a month)
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67688 on: September 21, 2021, 07:18:54 pm »
Talk of DAZN buying out BT Sport today which would be quite something.
AJ will brutalise him. Im shocked at how many think this a close fight.
;D

I'll be chucking a few quid on Usyk for what it's worth!

Offline cornishscouser92

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #67689 on: September 21, 2021, 07:41:42 pm »
All the talk of Joshua being lean, he looks massive
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67690 on: September 21, 2021, 07:54:07 pm »
Talk of DAZN buying out BT Sport today which would be quite something. ;D

I'll be chucking a few quid on Usyk for what it's worth!

With his pedigree I can understand that. If he had shown bone crunching power at CW and in his 2 HW contests i could see it. Don't think he hits hard enough and he certainly wont have been hit as hard as he will be on Saturday

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67691 on: September 21, 2021, 09:53:30 pm »
With his pedigree I can understand that. If he had shown bone crunching power at CW and in his 2 HW contests i could see it. Don't think he hits hard enough and he certainly wont have been hit as hard as he will be on Saturday
Yeah it basically comes down to his chin I think. Joshua will get to him at some point so we'll see how that goes. Not a big puncher but then neither is Ruiz.

Usyk has never been in with a giant like Joshua before, but then I don't think Joshua has been in with anyone who can outbox him before.

If Joshua wins this, he beats Fury for me.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67692 on: September 21, 2021, 10:27:13 pm »
Kicking off legitly at  the Canelo v Plant press conference.  :D

https://twitter.com/grosenstein/status/1440414806100508672

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67693 on: September 22, 2021, 08:55:10 am »
Kicking off legitly at  the Canelo v Plant press conference.  :D

https://twitter.com/grosenstein/status/1440414806100508672
Pretty demoralising for Plant that!

Offline 1892tillforever

• "Just call me................daddy.............!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Either the curtains go or I do
« Reply #67694 on: September 22, 2021, 10:28:01 am »
I was thinking this could be a close one but as the fight draws nearer, I'm moving towards a Joshua KO victory, possibly late on but wouldn't be shocked if he clips Usyk early. Usyk is a fantastic fighter but we already saw that he wasn't entirely comfortable against Chisora. A lot of people forget that Breidis almost beat him and it was a close decision in the end. I'm a big fan of Breidis who I think is physically stronger than Usyk, but I couldn't see him lasting the 12 against Joshua either. It isn't just Joshua's weight and power, it is also his height and reach or 'dimensions' as you like to say CB  :D

No matter how good Usyk is, and he is VERY good, fighting a 2-metre tall giant who is also athletic and a pretty good boxer himself is something different entirely.

Yeah it basically comes down to his chin I think. Joshua will get to him at some point so we'll see how that goes. Not a big puncher but then neither is Ruiz.

Usyk has never been in with a giant like Joshua before, but then I don't think Joshua has been in with anyone who can outbox him before.

If Joshua wins this, he beats Fury for me.

True, but bear in mind that Mister Jiggles weighed about 20 stone for that fight! He's not a heavy hitter but even getting whacked by him is different to Usyk who will be perhaps 16 stone or 16.5 stone on fight night?

Pretty demoralising for Plant that!
It's not great when you miss someone with a punch when they're standing in your face in street clothes! Unless Canelo gets injured I think a house plant has as much chance as winning as Caleb.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2021, 10:32:53 am by 1892tillforever »

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67695 on: September 22, 2021, 10:57:12 am »
True, but bear in mind that Mister Jiggles weighed about 20 stone for that fight! He's not a heavy hitter but even getting whacked by him is different to Usyk who will be perhaps 16 stone or 16.5 stone on fight night?
I imagine there'll be more muscle on Usyk at 16 stone than there was on Ruiz at 20 ;D

I don't think Usyk has a hope of knocking Joshua out, but for what it's worth I don't think you need to be a big puncher to do that anyway.  Any heavyweight has the capability to knock him out if he gasses like he did against Ruiz.  It sounds like AJ is coming in lighter though so less chance of that happening.

Other factor here is that I think Usyk is only the second southpaw that Joshua has faced, which is a bit mad.  Just throws another variable into the mix.  The other one was 'King' Charles Martin who is still my vote for the worst heavyweight champion of all time ;D

Offline 1892tillforever

• "Just call me................daddy.............!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Either the curtains go or I do
« Reply #67696 on: September 22, 2021, 11:20:25 am »
I imagine there'll be more muscle on Usyk at 16 stone than there was on Ruiz at 20 ;D

I don't think Usyk has a hope of knocking Joshua out, but for what it's worth I don't think you need to be a big puncher to do that anyway.  Any heavyweight has the capability to knock him out if he gasses like he did against Ruiz.  It sounds like AJ is coming in lighter though so less chance of that happening.

Other factor here is that I think Usyk is only the second southpaw that Joshua has faced, which is a bit mad.  Just throws another variable into the mix.  The other one was 'King' Charles Martin who is still my vote for the worst heavyweight champion of all time ;D
Martin won the equivalent of the lottery when he got that title; after his opponent got injured during the fight! Then Eddie apparently offered £6 million to fight Joshua!

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67697 on: September 22, 2021, 12:30:32 pm »
Martin won the equivalent of the lottery when he got that title; after his opponent got injured during the fight! Then Eddie apparently offered £6 million to fight Joshua!
Yeah and he only got that title shot in the first place because Fury flushed the belt down the toilet if I remember right.

Basically, Usyk is Joshua's first southpaw opponent.

Offline dikwad

• Kopite
« Reply #67698 on: September 22, 2021, 08:10:54 pm »
Believe the Ken Burns doc about The Greatest is the dogs bollix. I'll watch it after AJ gets ko'd lol

Offline sirjames

• The Manly Eunuch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67699 on: Yesterday at 11:48:51 am »
What was peoples thoughts on the bellew Usyk fight - for all the Uysk being a great boxer i thought Bellew was more than even in that fight before he got knocked out. Will this have any say in how this one goes?
If we win, its normal because were Liverpool Football Club
Rafa  25/1/05

Online Dull Tools

• Likes James Corden.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67700 on: Yesterday at 12:19:02 pm »
Just seen that Ken Burns has done a documentary on Ali. Sounds like it is his best work so far.

Has it been released anywhere in the UK?

Online Dull Tools

• Likes James Corden.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67701 on: Yesterday at 12:20:06 pm »
Believe the Ken Burns doc about The Greatest is the dogs bollix. I'll watch it after AJ gets ko'd lol
Clearly didn't bother looking up!

Online Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #67702 on: Yesterday at 12:35:31 pm »
What was peoples thoughts on the bellew Usyk fight - for all the Uysk being a great boxer i thought Bellew was more than even in that fight before he got knocked out. Will this have any say in how this one goes?

Bellew was competitive and in the fight before the KO but he was working insanely hard just to keep it close and he said as much himself. By the time he was knocked out he had nothing left and it wasn't all down to the damage he had taken (Usyk did win rounds and caught him flush a few times before it was done).

Uysk was always in control of the fight but credit to Bellew, he did make it a contest. Usyk's movement and footwork is clever and damaging in how it constantly keeps his opponents guessing and wondering. As the rounds drag on it becomes physically and mentally draining and he seems to take information in and gradually he wears the other fighter down. He is capable of doing similar to AJ but AJ is a much bigger specimen who hits harder than anyone Usyk has faced. It'll be interesting to see how Usyk approaches the fight; does he potshot, make AJ move more than he wants to and try and drag him into deep water later on, or does he go aggressive like Ruiz did and try and buzz AJ early and take advantage? For all the talk of Usyk not having the power to hurt AJ, Ruiz isn't a notoriously big puncher but he had AJ down several times and AJ was beaten out of exhaustion as much as anything else. I don't think you need to be a particularly big puncher to get to AJ, and on that front I think Usyk punches plenty hard enough to cause AJ trouble. These heavyweights are what they say in the description! They are big fellas and size or not, if they land a few clean (especially so on somoneone like AJ who has shown to struggle after a clean shot) then anything is possible.

The flipside of this is whether Usyk can withstand a flurry of heavy punches from AJ. Usyk's chin has shown to be solid but AJ's power is legit and I'm sure Usyk's chin will be tested at some point. I'm saying 70/30 in favour of AJ. Usyk is a live dog and if his game plan is right and AJ is caught clean and/or forced to be very mobile and gets frustrated then he'll be in trouble because Usyk is a far superior boxer and has the potential to tie AJ in knots.

Online jedimaster

• Anny Roader
« Reply #67703 on: Yesterday at 12:44:03 pm »

Usyk was controlling that fight from the very first moment. He was never in trouble and was just setting Bellew up for the stoppage, for all Bellew's bravado.

I don't think he has the power to stop Joshua unless Joshua seriously gasses out. But one thing is for sure, Usyk would not take this fight if he didn't think he could win it. And I saw someone interviewed who, when he asked Usyk about Joshua said 'I know how to beat him'. And I don't doubt that he believes that. He is smart and can adapt his tactics mid-fight, something I haven't seen Joshua successfully do.

I can see this fight going to points, maybe 7-5 or 8-4 for Usyk, with a controversial hometown decision for Joshua.

« Last Edit: Yesterday at 12:49:09 pm by jedimaster »

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67704 on: Yesterday at 12:55:22 pm »
Haven't watched that fight back, but I remember thinking at the time that the Sky commentators must have been watching a different fight because it was obvious what was happening.  Bellew was in the fight in the same way that McGregor was in the fight with Floyd or Amir Khan was in the fight with Canelo.  History is littered with these guys who were doing well until suddenly they weren't.

AJ is a very different prospect to Bellew though so I don't think you can really draw any conclusions.

Offline Wild Romany Boy

• Kopite
« Reply #67705 on: Yesterday at 01:05:39 pm »
Usyk was controlling that fight from the very first moment. He was never in trouble and was just setting Bellew up for the stoppage, for all Bellew's bravado.

I don't think he has the power to stop Joshua unless Joshua seriously gasses out. But one thing is for sure, Usyk would not take this fight if he didn't think he could win it. And I saw someone interviewed who, when he asked Usyk about Joshua said 'I know how to beat him'. And I don't doubt that he believes that. He is smart and can adapt his tactics mid-fight, something I haven't seen Joshua successfully do.

I can see this fight going to points, maybe 7-5 or 8-4 for Usyk, with a controversial hometown decision for Joshua.

I think the opposite of Joshua to be honest. He has adjusted, I think he did so against Klitschko and, to an extent, against Ruiz, to name two.

If he gets Usyk behind the jab early, and realises it'll be hard to knock him out, he seems to be more than capable and patient enough to adjust.

Online Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #67706 on: Yesterday at 01:07:41 pm »
I think the opposite of Joshua to be honest. He has adjusted, I think he did so against Klitschko and, to an extent, against Ruiz, to name two.

If he gets Usyk behind the jab early, and realises it'll be hard to knock him out, he seems to be more than capable and patient enough to adjust.

Klitschko was 41, on the back of a lay off and took AJ to hell and back. And the Ruiz who turned up in the second fight didn't even bother to train. I most definitely see improvements in AJ strategically but this is going to be a proper, proper test of that.

Online jedimaster

• Anny Roader
« Reply #67707 on: Yesterday at 01:23:32 pm »

I disagree on that point. He didn't adapt in mid fight against Ruiz at all, he adapted between fights. And in the second fight he fought a completely different unmotivated fighter.

Against Klitschko he was lucky to be honest. He survived by taking a few rounds off and by Klitschko not pressing his advantage.

Usyk against Bellew was the most impressive dismantling of an opponent I have seen in years. He didn't let Bellew's bravado or pressure faze him at all. He found his range and then slowly and methodically broke him down. Bellew looked physically and mentally exhausted at the end. And if Joshua lets the ghosts of the Ruiz fight into his head during a tough moment he will expend a lot of nervous energy. Joshua needs to be mentally as strong as Usyk to win this fight.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67708 on: Yesterday at 01:33:00 pm »

Did Bellew land a punch of note in that fight? He won rounds on pressure but was already shegged by the halfway point and was brutally stopped.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67709 on: Yesterday at 01:41:51 pm »
If you think Usyk v Bellew was the best dismantling of opponents you've seen in years, you've not been watching Lomachenko's fights mate.  :D

Online jedimaster

• Anny Roader
« Reply #67710 on: Yesterday at 01:55:21 pm »
If you think Usyk v Bellew was the best dismantling of opponents you've seen in years, you've not been watching Lomachenko's fights mate.  :D

True, these days I don't watch as much boxing as I used to, I mainly end up watching fighters I am already familiar with on crap streams :D Lomachenko is definitely someone I need to check out on Youtube :)

Online jedimaster

• Anny Roader
« Reply #67711 on: Yesterday at 02:13:16 pm »
Joshua-Usyk press conference live streaming on Youtube now. Check out the state of Usyk :D

Offline Wild Romany Boy

• Kopite
« Reply #67712 on: Yesterday at 02:15:25 pm »
Klitschko was 41, on the back of a lay off and took AJ to hell and back. And the Ruiz who turned up in the second fight didn't even bother to train. I most definitely see improvements in AJ strategically but this is going to be a proper, proper test of that.

Klitschko was motivated as hell and AJ used the rounds for resting until he struck. He was ahead in the scorecards too before that point.

And I don't doubt it is going to be a test - I think Usyk will win - but I think it's fair to say that AJ's boxing nous, that saw him win an Olympic gold, is being underplayed in this thread.

I disagree on that point. He didn't adapt in mid fight against Ruiz at all, he adapted between fights. And in the second fight he fought a completely different unmotivated fighter.

Against Klitschko he was lucky to be honest. He survived by taking a few rounds off and by Klitschko not pressing his advantage.

Ruiz had definitely partied, but Joshua went behind the double jab when he realised that a knockout would be hard.

Klitschko is on record as saying that he couldn't get to Joshua during these rounds. "I tried, I wasn't able", he famously said. AJ was doing enough to keep himself up on the scorecard after tasting a knockdown. That ain't luck.

Online Dull Tools

• Likes James Corden.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67713 on: Yesterday at 02:52:03 pm »
The Klitschko fight was 4 and a half years ago and AJ's 19th fight.

I agree on your second point though. I think the first Andy Ruiz fight may be the best thing that happened to him. He has been much more mature since then. I think he is using his boxing skills more and relying less on his power.

This will be a great test of it and, if he wins, will set him up well for Fury.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67714 on: Yesterday at 03:54:23 pm »
Klitschko was motivated as hell and AJ used the rounds for resting until he struck. He was ahead in the scorecards too before that point.

And I don't doubt it is going to be a test - I think Usyk will win - but I think it's fair to say that AJ's boxing nous, that saw him win an Olympic gold, is being underplayed in this thread.

Ruiz had definitely partied, but Joshua went behind the double jab when he realised that a knockout would be hard.

Klitschko is on record as saying that he couldn't get to Joshua during these rounds. "I tried, I wasn't able", he famously said. AJ was doing enough to keep himself up on the scorecard after tasting a knockdown. That ain't luck.

Home town cooking is why he won Olympic gold, but he defo underated in that respect

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67715 on: Yesterday at 04:39:19 pm »
We all agree that Tony Bellew is an absolute helmet though, right?

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67716 on: Yesterday at 05:27:03 pm »

Absolutely. I listen to a boxing podcast that has a Bellew of the Week for people who say stupid things. Its called Boxing Asylum. Its a good laigh

Online Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67717 on: Today at 09:12:06 am »
Perhaps it's because he's always labelled a cruiserweight at heavyweight, but I was surprised at how big Usyk looked yesterday standing toe-to-toe with AJ. Of course Vlad is the biggest name he's beaten up until now, but this will be AJ's toughest fight. Still though he's lost a lot of muscle and will no doubt be his lightest weight ever for this title fight. Really looking forward to it, can't be arsed staying up for boxing these days so it'll ne nice to watch a big fight live again at a UK friendly time.

Online Fiasco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #67718 on: Today at 09:16:05 am »

He's a tit. As bitter as he in terms of being a blue I always wanted him to do well but fucking hell, he even made that hard to do at times! When he retired he preached that he was going to live the quiet life and you wouldn't be seeing him any more. He's on every boxing show it seems, he's had a book out, he's doing a podcast thing now, he's glued to Eddie Hearn's side :D

Offline sirjames

• The Manly Eunuch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67719 on: Today at 09:31:26 am »
Did Bellew land a punch of note in that fight? He won rounds on pressure but was already shegged by the halfway point and was brutally stopped.

Can see that angle for sure - do you think if the pressure was applied from a bigger guy like joshua that it might have more of an affect. For all Bellew's 'bomber' talk i never thought he was as bigger puncher as he thought he was.
If we win, its normal because were Liverpool Football Club
Rafa  25/1/05