Author Topic: Bird watch  (Read 282988 times)

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
Re: Bird watch
« Reply #1680 on: April 20, 2020, 07:11:21 pm »
I'd blame the pigeons for that and anything else mate.

For my pigeon English?

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1681 on: April 20, 2020, 07:52:26 pm »
For my pigeon English?
For that and anything else Nick. Pigeons are dickheads.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1682 on: April 20, 2020, 07:57:55 pm »
For that and anything else Nick. Pigeons are dickheads.

Wait til you meet Manc pigeons. Years ago I worked there as a student, came out of a side exit and under the arches several of them shat on me simultaneously! Stank so bad. Had to get the train home, change, call work and tell them I had a doctors appointment and came in late. Was gagging so badly all day!

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1683 on: April 20, 2020, 08:09:45 pm »
 ;D

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1684 on: April 21, 2020, 03:56:11 pm »
Pigeons are another bird that get a bad press.  I like my wood pigeons in the garden, there's the odd piece of crap here and there, but so what.

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1685 on: April 21, 2020, 04:19:17 pm »
Pigeons are another bird that get a bad press.  I like my wood pigeons in the garden, there's the odd piece of crap here and there, but so what.
I need something to have a chuckle at but bird crap in the garden reminds me of my sister who lived on the flight path at Martin Mere.

She absolutely hated the canada geese flying over when she had washing on the line.  She'd nearly always have to rewash it 3 or 4 times before actually getting it dry [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1686 on: April 21, 2020, 04:25:50 pm »

Wasn't impressed by the taste when I ate wood pigeon.

I like having them about too, there was a pair bouncing around our garden last night, watching out for next doors cat.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Lad

• Legacy Fan
  • Press your space face close to mine love.
« Reply #1687 on: April 22, 2020, 07:55:14 pm »
Wasn't impressed by the taste when I ate wood pigeon.

I like having them about too, there was a pair bouncing around our garden last night, watching out for next doors cat.

As a train driver I can confirm that wood pigeons are the most hit birds by far. In fact the only birds that ever collide with my train. Every other species seems to have the nouse to get the fuck out of the way.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1688 on: April 22, 2020, 08:43:06 pm »
As a train driver I can confirm that wood pigeons are the most hit birds by far. In fact the only birds that ever collide with my train. Every other species seems to have the nouse to get the fuck out of the way.

Is it quite a bang in the train? The only birds I have ever hit are Wood Pigeons, both in the car and in the truck, they make a right racket bouncing off the cab.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Lad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1689 on: April 23, 2020, 05:38:31 pm »
Is it quite a bang in the train? The only birds I have ever hit are Wood Pigeons, both in the car and in the truck, they make a right racket bouncing off the cab.

Similar bang as yours I suspect. Can give you a fright. Sometimes they sit on the rails looking at you as you steam towards them and you think ‘are you going to fucking move or what’.

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #1690 on: April 23, 2020, 05:39:06 pm »
A Parakeet in Reynolds Park in Woolton just now.

He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline Lad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1691 on: April 23, 2020, 05:43:15 pm »
On a lighter note I have a bird bath in my garden about 5 yards from our garden chairs. It’s used by all sorts especially in this weather. Well I’ve developed a fondness for a couple of starlings nesting in the area. They spend ages in the water having a proper old bathshower if there’s such a word.

The sun shows up all sorts of metallic style colours in their feathers. Never thought I’d be sitting there admiring the much maligned starling. A first for me.

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1692 on: April 23, 2020, 10:01:52 pm »
On a lighter note I have a bird bath in my garden about 5 yards from our garden chairs. It’s used by all sorts especially in this weather. Well I’ve developed a fondness for a couple of starlings nesting in the area. They spend ages in the water having a proper old bathshower if there’s such a word.

The sun shows up all sorts of metallic style colours in their feathers. Never thought I’d be sitting there admiring the much maligned starling. A first for me.

With a name like yours I thought you'd ' ve called it a Shebby.

;)

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline Lad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1693 on: April 24, 2020, 12:30:03 pm »
I grew up in North Liverpool and I've honestly never heard 'shebby' in me life. Could be a south end term !!!

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1694 on: April 24, 2020, 02:43:57 pm »
I grew up in North Liverpool and I've honestly never heard 'shebby' in me life. Could be a south end term !!!

Grew up in Canny Farm mainly ( shebby was used there ) but class myself as a South Ender. Was born on Smithdown and me dahs side are from Toxteth. Shebby has been mentioned in the lost lingo thread I think.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1695 on: April 24, 2020, 04:42:35 pm »
Grew up in Canny Farm mainly ( shebby was used there ) but class myself as a South Ender. Was born on Smithdown and me dahs side are from Toxteth. Shebby has been mentioned in the lost lingo thread I think.

Is there a middle bit or are we just all North/South enders? If so where is the split?

I grew up on Tower Hill but born and lived in Walton til I was 3. My Family are all from Everton (Ma( and Scotty (Da), but can trace my Dads side back to Green Street in the 1880's and Moorfields as far back as the 1830's  - My Ma was an Evans so no even bothered trying to trace her side.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1696 on: April 24, 2020, 07:33:35 pm »
I'm an Aigburth / Allerton lad, never heard Shebby either mate.

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1697 on: April 24, 2020, 10:33:19 pm »
Is there a middle bit or are we just all North/South enders? If so where is the split?

I grew up on Tower Hill but born and lived in Walton til I was 3. My Family are all from Everton (Ma( and Scotty (Da), but can trace my Dads side back to Green Street in the 1880's and Moorfields as far back as the 1830's  - My Ma was an Evans so no even bothered trying to trace her side.

To me the split is Parly , Tunnel Road , Edge Lane and then into Kenny but them town splits are mad. I love speaking about stuff like this . Me ancestery from me Dah's side goes .

Derry / Kilkenny
Ferry
Granby
Smithdown ( me born and lived in me Great Granma's cellar with me folks until they got a bedsit un the next street )
Hartesbourne Ave ( Childwall / Bell Vale )

I told youse I was an ' ard knock.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 10:35:24 pm by kesey »

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #1698 on: April 25, 2020, 12:01:30 am »
Best I can do on my crappy iPhone again

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1699 on: April 25, 2020, 04:55:29 am »
Best I can do on my crappy iPhone again

What an amazing sight.  Nice one.  I've had a similar experience with an owl and it's sprirtual  , shamanic or just plain boss.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #1700 on: April 25, 2020, 11:22:40 am »
Great picture Chakan.  ;D
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1701 on: April 25, 2020, 01:25:49 pm »
Went for another walk in an area my missus didn't even know existed this morning. Stopped the kids and pointed out a Kestrel on the hunt. It was about 50ft up in a hover, then dropped the about 30, hovered again, another drop to about 15ft and then after a quick hover, swooped. It was on the ground for a few seconds and then took and and flew across the field. Tried to follow it to see where it was nesting, but lost sight of it. Didn't have my phone, so no pictures :butt
Jurgen YNWA

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1703 on: April 26, 2020, 02:43:39 pm »
Saw a Sparrowhawk in the garden yesterday, and Stonechat and Dartford Warbler on my walk around the heath.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #1704 on: April 26, 2020, 03:24:20 pm »
Saw a Sparrowhawk in the garden yesterday, and Stonechat and Dartford Warbler on my walk around the heath.
We never used to see Sparrowhawks when I was younger. Loads of Kestrels, but no Sparrowhawks. These days I regularly see one here in Sefton Park. I see them up at my mum's in Sefton too. The last time it was plucking a poor bird on the lawn. Last week I saw one flying over Sainsbury's in Woolton. No doubt looking to bag itself a toilet roll.  :D
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Lad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1705 on: April 26, 2020, 04:36:31 pm »
We never used to see Sparrowhawks when I was younger. Loads of Kestrels, but no Sparrowhawks. These days I regularly see one here in Sefton Park. I see them up at my mum's in Sefton too. The last time it was plucking a poor bird on the lawn. Last week I saw one flying over Sainsbury's in Woolton. No doubt looking to bag itself a toilet roll.  :D

Same mate don’t think I ever saw one as a kid. A kestrel or kezzie was our goal. Seeing one made your day. See just as many sparrowhawks as kezzies now. And buzzards ! Who’d have thought it. Saw one soaring high above the Black Bull in Walton Vale a while ago being harassed by crows.

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1706 on: April 26, 2020, 04:49:09 pm »
It's because they're not being poisoned, shot or having their nests raided for their eggs.

They were persecuted nearly to extinction up until a couple of decades ago, thankfully we stopped before it was too late.

Some species though have needed a helping hand, such as the kites.  Without a captive breeding programme and phased reintroduction they wouldn't be around.

None of you noticed how few rabbits there are these days?  Buzzards and kites love them [emoji106]

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1707 on: April 26, 2020, 04:55:51 pm »
Same mate don’t think I ever saw one as a kid. A kestrel or kezzie was our goal. Seeing one made your day. See just as many sparrowhawks as kezzies now. And buzzards ! Who’d have thought it. Saw one soaring high above the Black Bull in Walton Vale a while ago being harassed by crows.
Buzzards really have flourished in recent times. I see them soaring over Sefton Park on the thermals in summer. I see lots of them along the M58 between Switch Island and Skem too. If we'd seen them when we were kids we'd have thought they were eagles.

As with you, the bird of prey on our radar as kids was always the Kestrel. When a Barn Owl moved into Ford Cemetery in the late 70s it was like a local celebrity and we'd all chase the poor thing around trying to get a look at it. The Kesey had his beak pushed out for a while as the Owl became the bird to see.

It was also a big thing when a pair of Short-eared Owls moved onto Rimrose Valley in the 90s. We'd watch them hunting in the daytime as we played football on Chaffers playing fields in Waterloo.

The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1708 on: April 26, 2020, 05:12:33 pm »
I find it a big deal when I see a Kezzie now. As Tower Hill is right on the edge of Kirkby and we had nothing but fields til you hit Aughton, then we had loads of them. The one I saw yesterday was the first I've seen in an age.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1709 on: April 26, 2020, 07:38:34 pm »
I find it a big deal when I see a Kezzie now. As Tower Hill is right on the edge of Kirkby and we had nothing but fields til you hit Aughton, then we had loads of them. The one I saw yesterday was the first I've seen in an age.
I'm surprised by that, Rob.

With the Kestrel's liking for hunting along motorway verges I thought you'd see quite a lot of them while doing your driving jobs.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1710 on: April 26, 2020, 11:26:29 pm »

With the Kestrel's liking for hunting along motorway verges I thought you'd see quite a lot of them while doing your driving jobs.

Kestrel's number aren't good at the moment. They are the smallest Falcons, it maybe the fact that some of the bigger Falcons are making a come back it has affected their numbers somewhat.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1711 on: April 27, 2020, 11:37:06 am »

Kestrel's number aren't good at the moment. They are the smallest Falcons, it maybe the fact that some of the bigger Falcons are making a come back it has affected their numbers somewhat.

There are a few reasons for the decline, which has been shocking in numbers (65% reduction in numbers by 2014 in Scotland) I can't find any recent studies, but back in 2014 the change in farming practices has thought to be the major reason, with changes in when seed is planted, they've switched from Spring Barley to Autumn rape, meaning there is less food in winter for voles and small birds, so less of them and therefore less prey. As Jill says, there is also a detrimental effect of the boom in the large species of birds of prey - Goshawks, Owls, Peregrines and Buzzards all prey on Kestrels. Where I live, there doesn't seem to be many birds of prey, not seen the Sparrowhawk for a few years now, we saw one Buzzard last week and that is about it, it is all crows and magpies.

I see a hell of a lot of Buzzards these days, all around the motorways up and down England and Scotland, very common sight now. Around the Oxford area I have seen Kites too since they reintroduced them. Our kid does Southampton to Brum every day and sees nothing but the big falcons.

Be a real shame if we lose the Kestrel.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1712 on: April 27, 2020, 11:50:30 am »

Kestrels were common place here like most places but now are a very rare sight.  I used to see them on pretty much every journey whether out shopping or with the dogs especially at this time when they're feeding young.  Now it's a novelty.

Considering we live within walking distance of where Kes was filmed it's really sad.

Offline Barrowred

• Kopite
« Reply #1713 on: April 27, 2020, 12:40:29 pm »
It's the same with the Kestrel up here in Barrow (Walney Island). As a kid you would see them all the time hovering over just about any piece of open land but in the last 5 years or so they are becoming less and less common, to the point where it's a rare sight to see one.
This used to be the case with Sparrowhawk but I have one that uses my garden as part of his hunting ground now.
There are plenty of buzzards around here, a peregrine isn't an uncommon sight and barn owls have always been part of the local wildlife.
I was lucky enough to see a Merlin last winter as well, they come down to the lower ground over winter I later found out.

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1714 on: April 27, 2020, 01:29:26 pm »
It's sad to hear about the kestrel's decline here. I knew I was seeing less of them, but didn't quite realise that it was a nationwide issue.  :-\

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1715 on: April 27, 2020, 01:48:15 pm »
There are a few reasons for the decline, which has been shocking in numbers (65% reduction in numbers by 2014 in Scotland) I can't find any recent studies, but back in 2014 the change in farming practices has thought to be the major reason, with changes in when seed is planted, they've switched from Spring Barley to Autumn rape, meaning there is less food in winter for voles and small birds, so less of them and therefore less prey. As Jill says, there is also a detrimental effect of the boom in the large species of birds of prey - Goshawks, Owls, Peregrines and Buzzards all prey on Kestrels. Where I live, there doesn't seem to be many birds of prey, not seen the Sparrowhawk for a few years now, we saw one Buzzard last week and that is about it, it is all crows and magpies.

I see a hell of a lot of Buzzards these days, all around the motorways up and down England and Scotland, very common sight now. Around the Oxford area I have seen Kites too since they reintroduced them. Our kid does Southampton to Brum every day and sees nothing but the big falcons.

Don’t forget they also get shot along with other birds of prey, so-called protection for the shooting ranges. I always remember when I was in the League Against Cruel Sports, coming across a den which was full of dead birds and other wildlife. Kestrels,  Buzzards, Harriers hanging from their feet. It was a horrible sight.

On a happier note about the Kestrels, we used to see loads on the marshes at Parkgate. I remember taking my mum one afternoon. We didn’t see any, so I suggested having something to eat at the pub, The Boathouse. We got a seat by the windows looking over the marshes and suddenly a beautiful Kestrel hovered outside! Lovely memory, made my mum’s afternoon. 😀

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1716 on: April 27, 2020, 02:47:45 pm »
Don’t forget they also get shot along with other birds of prey, so-called protection for the shooting ranges. I always remember when I was in the League Against Cruel Sports, coming across a den which was full of dead birds and other wildlife. Kestrels,  Buzzards, Harriers hanging from their feet. It was a horrible sight.

On a happier note about the Kestrels, we used to see loads on the marshes at Parkgate. I remember taking my mum one afternoon. We didn’t see any, so I suggested having something to eat at the pub, The Boathouse. We got a seat by the windows looking over the marshes and suddenly a beautiful Kestrel hovered outside! Lovely memory, made my mum’s afternoon. 😀

Lovely for your Mum that.

My best Kestrel experience was when one decided to hover outside my office window, which is 11 floors up.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1717 on: April 27, 2020, 04:21:27 pm »
Lovely for your Mum that.

My best Kestrel experience was when one decided to hover outside my office window, which is 11 floors up.

What a fantastic sight! While there aren’t many around sometimes you still get lucky. When my friend and I went on a walk last year, we saw one of the Ospreys making their way up the coast. An unforgettable sight, even though he was flying really high he was huge. 😀

Offline Lad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1718 on: April 27, 2020, 09:40:03 pm »
What a fantastic sight! While there aren’t many around sometimes you still get lucky. When my friend and I went on a walk last year, we saw one of the Ospreys making their way up the coast. An unforgettable sight, even though he was flying really high he was huge. 😀

I was in a rowing boat with my daughter down on a lake in Sussex about five years ago and I kid you not an Osprey swooped in about 20 yards from us in an attempt to take a fish. I was like ‘what the fuck’ thought I was seeing things.

Anyway we get out the boat and there’s a bloke with binocs. Got talking to him as the bird was still swooping around and he said that the birds always hang about at the lake for a few days to refuel on their journey from the Lakes or Scotland back to Africa. Amazing. Wonderful sight it was.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1719 on: April 27, 2020, 09:46:26 pm »
I was in a rowing boat with my daughter down on a lake in Sussex about five years ago and I kid you not an Osprey swooped in about 20 yards from us in an attempt to take a fish. I was like ‘what the fuck’ thought I was seeing things.

Anyway we get out the boat and there’s a bloke with binocs. Got talking to him as the bird was still swooping around and he said that the birds always hang about at the lake for a few days to refuel on their journey from the Lakes or Scotland back to Africa. Amazing. Wonderful sight it was.

Lucky you! I went up to the Lake District up at Brassenthwaite which is where the Ospreys nest each year at the RSPB place. The power as they go on the water is just incredible, saw them take one fish after another. One of the best afternoons I spent up there. But 20 yards, that must have been some sight.  :o