Author Topic: Match Preview: UCL Final Real Madrid v Liverpool [26 May 2018, KO 19:45 GMT]  (Read 293889 times)

Offline Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
The articles coming out of Madrid are nuts. Keep making us even bigger underdogs, and behave less pragmatically - fools.

Not even nervous anymore, just would love to give them a hiding now.

Yep - http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2777094-why-everyone-in-madrid-is-so-confident-real-will-beat-mentally-weak-liverpool

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
The articles coming out of Madrid are nuts. Keep making us even bigger underdogs, and behave less pragmatically - fools.

;D

I hope it gets to their players and makes them become way too confident as well, pride to come before a massive fall on Saturday!

Offline Pradan

• Makes RAWK a grim place. Sarcastic besserwisser. Would certainly pick a fight with himself in an empty room.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop

Can you link some of the articles?

Wouldn't mind reading a few of them through the joys of google translate.

Offline Pradan

• Makes RAWK a grim place. Sarcastic besserwisser. Would certainly pick a fight with himself in an empty room.
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
Yep - http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2777094-why-everyone-in-madrid-is-so-confident-real-will-beat-mentally-weak-liverpool

Wow. There is a fine line between confidence and arrogance and they are wandering into the latter. They are in for a rude awakening
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Wow. There is a fine line between confidence and arrogance and they are wandering into the latter. They are in for a rude awakening

Hopefully! Would love to just thrash them 5-0 or something like that.

Offline kaz1983

• "Bloody Memory Wavers" Currently in debt with RAWK.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well dunno what to say, honest
I'm sure we'll get plenty chances against them. They looked to play a high line against Barca. Seville got at their back 4 and they play a pressing game. Seville looked to get in behind Madrid's defence -which they managed successfully and score 3 goals doing so....... I saw similar in their 2-2 draw against Villarreal.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
Dont really care what anyone around Madrid says their players won't be complacent
They're a group of experienced, hard bitten serial winners - going for a historic third european cup in a row. They've won several big european games late, hung on under pressure etc etc
Just silly to think we'll 'want it more than them' or that they won't take us seriously.

Don't get me wrong there's a legit chance we can be better than them on the night at the football thing - but the idea they're going to flounce around thinking they just need to turn up to win is way off imo

Offline rojo para la vida

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
'Torres admires the pragmatic mind of Klopp. He is a coach whom Roncero believes will be first in line to replace Zidane when the Frenchman leaves Real Madrid.'

It shows how little they know about Klopp. What has he ever done in his career to demonstrate that he'd be prepared to work for clubs whose main criteria for success is buying it? Klopp is more like Shankly rather then the Peps and Mourinhos. 

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Dont really care what anyone around Madrid says their players won't be complacent
They're a group of experienced, hard bitten serial winners - going for a historic third european cup in a row. They've won several big european games late, hung on under pressure etc etc
Just silly to think we'll 'want it more than them' or that they won't take us seriously.

Don't get me wrong there's a legit chance we can be better than them on the night at the football thing - but the idea they're going to flounce around thinking they just need to turn up to win is way off imo

Oh yeah, Klopp and the team won't expect anything other than them being at their very best.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
'Torres admires the pragmatic mind of Klopp. He is a coach whom Roncero believes will be first in line to replace Zidane when the Frenchman leaves Real Madrid.'

It shows how little they know about Klopp. What has he ever done in his career to demonstrate that he'd be prepared to work for clubs whose main criteria for success is buying it? Klopp is more like Shankly rather then the Peps and Mourinhos.

He won't manage in Spain anyway, he doesn't speak Spanish and prefers to take jobs in countries where they speak a language he knows.

Online MD1990

• Makes your eyes bleed and your brain hurt.
  • Legacy Fan
Article is very arrogant.

Also  Real are quite a functional not the most exciting to watch. There biggest weapons are crosses into the box especially when Isco isn't playing.

Modric & Kroos not been at there best this season.

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity

Agree with this. Reading what a journo is perceiving the mood to be around Madrid is potentially completely different to the mood within the inner sanctum of the dressing room. I read that Bleacher Report piece thinking this is the opinion of journalists rather than that of Zidane and the players.

I'd love it to be true but Real are too experienced and have won too much to suddenly become complacent. We can still win - it's probably 51-49 in their favour. They aren't going to hand it to us on a plate and we'll need to be somewhere near our best to win.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
Regarding posts about Ramadan:

Fasting thread was locked by a colleague - please let it go. Salah Knows Best his body and what it will need in order for preparation for the final, which we shall win, inshallah.....

Shukran.

:wave

Offline SlowRap

• SlowCrapAllOverTheBoards. No longer appealing! Apparently not a bastard. But no denial of being sarcastic and having no clue. Interesting. Fist pumps all the way down the stairs.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let freedom reign

Exactly this
"We must turn from doubters into believers" - Jurgen Klopp

I've got a feeling that Origi is the real deal, from a couple of games I watched but mainly his interviews there seems to be something about him.

Offline Chip Evans

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

No, I agree - they're a fantastic side, full of grafters too - high level grafters. I don't think it's about wanting it more - we won;t be complacent about relying on them being complacent. But complacency can seep into everyone else at a club.  And not just that, it'll make us more defiant I hope because we are massive underdogs.

There's this brilliant Irish Rugby journalist, Gerry Thornley and he talks a lot about the psychic energy around games and specifically Munster in Europe in the 00s. Liverpool FC and the Munster Rugby from those days share a lot of characteristics, fans, home ground energy, underdogs, working class tradition.  Thornley always said you could tell in the build up to those games, the noises coming out of their journalists, their fans, their club suits. That it doesn't take much to tip the psychic balance during a game.

As much as Zidane and the players will be keeping it out and won't read the rags, and they are absolute thoroughbreds - their fans are returning tickets, their journalists are writing terrible articles, their club suits are talking shite (much like me here!).  They won't be complacent, but if we do the Klopp thing of taking them down to our level and make it a war....

Fuck it. Mad up for this game now.

Long and short is fuck them, their fans, fuck Diego Torres, fuck General Franco.  Hope we batter them. 

This week is taking AGES.

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
From the Zidane interview....

Why would you even mention it then?  That’s an odd statement to make...

Without watching the video, or I suspect, being able to understand Spanish, I suspect he's repeating part of the question. Ie, how do you rate your chances in the final? Do you think that Liverpool, while still being good, may be weaker than someone like Bayern or Barca?

Offline Dave D

• Dozy, Beaky, Mick and Tich
  • Legacy Fan
Another day, another round of their manager and players telling anyone who'll listen, how easy this game will be and how they only have to turn up.

You will not meet a more entitled, fake, arrogant club than Real Madrid. They're everything a football club shouldn't be. From how the club is run, to their players to their fans. A horrible bunch of c*nts.

This build-up is eerily similar to the Brazil 1 Germany 7 game. Brazil convinced they only had to turn up, there was no way they could lose, talk of a 4 or 5 nil win for them. Then they got gegenpressed to death, the rest is history.

Every arrogant comment they make about how easy it's going to be, is another goal against them. Only 2 league titles in 10 years, I think they may be losing the run of themselves over how good they think they actually are.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Another day, another round of their manager and players telling anyone who'll listen, how easy this game will be and how they only have to turn up.

You will not meet a more entitled, fake, arrogant club than Real Madrid. They're everything a football club shouldn't be. From how the club is run, to their players to their fans. A horrible bunch of c*nts.

This build-up is eerily similar to the Brazil 1 Germany 7 game. Brazil convinced they only had to turn up, there was no way they could lose, talk of a 4 or 5 nil win for them. Then they got gegenpressed to death, the rest is history.

Every arrogant comment they make about how easy it's going to be, is another goal against them. Only 2 league titles in 10 years, I think they may be losing the run of themselves over how good they think they actually are.

You should read the last few posts in this thread.

Offline Dave D

• Legacy Fan
You should read the last few posts in this thread.

I could, but this is the champions league week. We're in the final. Any c*nt climbing up inside the arse of real madrid to praise them, needs to have a look at themselves.

Four days to go, the niceties are over. Especially against this horrible fucking fraud of a club.

Offline Felch Aid

• Legacy Fan
I've tried to watch as many of the Madrid games.

They are clinical when it matters. Its so important we finish our chances. That's what makes them stand out in this competition rather than a league format.

Not as nervous as previous finals for some reason and its not based on arrogance. We deserve to be in the final and the players need to go out and give it their best shot. They've done us proud and winning it will be a huge bonus. Dare I say it but the rest of Europe and Spain probably want us to win it and are sick to the back teeth of Madrid winning it.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Everywhere I read and everyone I talk to has Liverpool as big favourites

that must be just LFC fans surely. Why on earth would any publicaation, any media, or anyone outside of LFC have them as favourites. They are talking out their arses if they are, and doing it to gather ammo. 
Real Madrid are outright favourites, as they should be.

Offline Hunts Cross

• but Cech's furious.
  • Legacy Fan
In my 50+ years of supporting this club, I'm looking forward to this final more than any before. This Liverpool team seem a group of lovely lads - likely lads that enjoy each other and the electric football they bring.

When we were winning everything, it was hard not to take it for granted. It is different now. This means more.

If we play the way we know we can, I'll be happy even if we don't win because it will have been one hell of a match and we will have lost to the best CL team of recent years. We will be back next year, and better, too.

If we play the way we know we can, we also have every chance of blowing Madrid away.

This, ladies and gentlemen, might be a game we tell our grandchildren about.

C'mon you Redmen.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 10:45:24 am by Hunts Cross »

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
We’ll be more nervous than the lads in the squad, because they’ll be trained and prepared for this game. It often seems like the fans take on that pressure, then those at the ground will absorb the nerves at the stadium and show the team they’re not alone. Let’s hope quite a few more than that 16,000 make it inside and they drown out the Madrid fans.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
That Diego Torres is something else.
The player with the most assists ever recorded in a Champions League campaign is lacking creativity.

Offline Sir Capon of Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2777094-why-everyone-in-madrid-is-so-confident-real-will-beat-mentally-weak-liverpool

Why Everyone in Madrid Is So Confident Real Will Beat 'Mentally Weak' Liverpool

On Saturday, Real Madrid will play Liverpool in the UEFA Champions League final in Kiev, Ukraine. In Madrid, they couldn't be more composed at the thought of it. There is a sense of stillness in the air. You could almost reach out and touch it. There's little to trouble the mind about the prospect of facing Jurgen Klopp's freewheeling Liverpool side.

"There isn't any sensation of fear in Madrid about Liverpool—among the directors, among the players," says Diego Torres, a journalist with El Pais. "They're relaxed in Real Madrid before this final. They've never been so calm and confident in the club before a final than now. This final is the easiest final they have in front of them, all of them—[club president] Florentino Perez, the captains. Everyone."

Real Madrid have history on their side. It's a theme that the press in the city is playing up. "Liverpool will be crushed by Real Madrid's legend," Julian Ruiz wrote in El Mundo once the final pairings were decided. Real Madrid have been here before. They know how to win. They have played in 15 European Cup finals. They have won 12 of them.

"People say history and statistics don't necessarily play a part, but it does," says Phil Kitromilides, who works as a presenter for Real Madrid TV. "Maybe not for the opponents—maybe they can block it out; maybe they can't—but for Real Madrid, it certainly plays a part in their self-belief, in believing their own hype. They believe they are the kings of Europe—the fans sing, 'We are the kings of Europe.' They believe they are the strongest team in this competition. And history shows they are."

"Real Madrid are favourites because of the weight of history and because of the experience the players have in these finals," added Tomas Roncero, a journalist with Diario AS. "The other day they did a study and the Real Madrid squad has 46 Champions League-winning medals; Liverpool don't have a player who has won the Champions League."

Roncero points towards the doggedness that dragged Real Madrid through previous finals against Atletico Madrid in 2014 and 2016, for instance, in which they were under the cosh but pulled through.

"They learned how to suffer and to win," he says. "Liverpool may have the dream and the hunger, but Madrid have the experience—they know how to deal with the pressure of a match like this.

"Real Madrid have been created to play finals. Sometimes they might play poorly in second legs en route to the final—in the second leg this season against Juventus, for example, and also in the second leg against Bayern Munich, but it's very hard to see them playing so badly in a final. Real Madrid in finals are very secure, very competitive. The whole team are convinced they are going to win. They never play with a fear of losing. In a final, that makes their rival shrink."

When assessing Liverpool's mindset, critics in Madrid see a team with a soft underbelly, says the English broadcaster Kitromilides: "Liverpool are viewed as being a bit fragile mentally. If they were a boxer, they might have a glass chin. They can be got at. If it gets tough, they don't necessarily find a way to grind out results and hold on, like Real Madrid do.

"Even in the semi-final tie against AS Roma, in the first leg, once those two second-half goals went in, there was a sense of, 'Uh-oh, Liverpool could throw something away here when they'd played so well.' It's the two sides of Liverpool, which people are aware of here—that this is an incredibly exciting, attacking side but one prone to big, defensive lapses and one that is weak mentally. Even if Liverpool take the lead, Real Madrid won't be too terrified because of their strength mentally and Liverpool's perceived weaknesses."

Real Madrid also have a full deck to play with. There are no injury concerns. Their manager, Zinedine Zidane, has the pleasant problem of choosing between Isco, Karim Benzema and a resurgent Gareth Bale—who has scored four goals in his last three games—for the final two pieces of his attacking jigsaw alongside perennial Ballon d'Or winner Cristiano Ronaldo.

When pundits in Madrid consider the squad at Jurgen Klopp's disposal, however, they see it is riddled with flaws. Apart from the vaunted attacking front three—Mohamed Salah, Roberto Firmino and Sadio Mane—it smells of mediocrity. It's a team made up of more artisans than artists.

"Liverpool probably is not even among the top 10 teams in Europe," says Torres, "because it doesn't have a good goalkeeper. It doesn't have a good defence. It only has one international-class defender—Virgil van Dijk. Its full-backs are very limited. Maybe they're strong, fast; they're able to do OK in the English Premier League, but none of them signed for Chelsea or Manchester City or Manchester United because they don't have the level to play for those teams. The full-backs for Tottenham Hotspur are much better than Liverpool's.

"Liverpool's midfield has players who are also forceful, disciplined, self-sacrificing. They know their profession. They are tradesmen. Footballers like Jordan Henderson and James Milner are footballers that lack creativity. There are other British teams with better midfielders. Liverpool doesn't have a player like [Paul] Pogba, nor [Ilkay] Gundogan, nor [Kevin] De Bruyne nor [David] Silva, nor Dele Alli in the centre of their midfield. Liverpool is missing footballers in this part of the pitch with ingenuity."

Torres admires the pragmatic mind of Klopp. He is a coach whom Roncero believes will be first in line to replace Zidane when the Frenchman leaves Real Madrid. There is nothing wantonly cavalier about Klopp's philosophy of football, argued Torres. The gung-ho brand of football Liverpool play springs from necessity; Klopp makes do with the resources at his disposal. He is compelled to make his team adventurous.

"Klopp couldn't come from any other place in the world than Germany," says Torres. "He's from a very defined school. He places a lot of emphasis on physicality. He's modern. He understands contemporary football very well. He's not crazy. The other way around—if he were crazy, he wouldn't have been able to get a team with a lot of deficiencies to the final of the Champions League. He's a very rational coach even if he seems very boisterous and sentimental.

"Klopp has no other option than to be reckless—reckless in the sense of being very attacking. It's a calculation. If his team doesn't attack like crazy, they're lost. They're dead because they don't have players who can defend a lead. They don't have a competent defence. They don't have a midfield that can dictate the rhythm of a game. This is the reason they attack like crazy."

In Salah, Liverpool has a player who has wreaked havoc on defences in England and around Europe this season in an unexpected, thrilling manner. A defining performance in the final at Kiev could put him in the shop window as a future Real Madrid player, reckons Roncero, although both Roncero and Torres say Neymar Jr. is the Real Madrid president's prime target in this summer's transfer market.

"I don't think Mo Salah will be a Galactico in the future," says the well-informed Torres. "Florentino wants to buy other footballers. Florentino wants to buy Neymar. He doesn't have the money to buy Mo Salah. If he can't buy Neymar, he intends to buy Harry Kane or Eden Hazard. Real Madrid have never been interested in buying Mo Salah from what I know."

All eyes will be on Salah to see if he can be decisive in Saturday's final (7:45 p.m. BST, 2:45 p.m. ET). He's part of an irrepressible attacking trident that threatens to derail Real Madrid's ambition to win a fourth UEFA Champions League crown in five seasons. It would be an achievement Real Madrid captain Sergio Ramos stated would cement their place in the history books as the defining team of an era, per Marca. It all hinges on which Liverpool turns up.

"Real Madrid have respect for Liverpool because they are a team, who, if they are inspired, they can make your evening bitter," says Roncero. "Man City saw that at Anfield in the quarter-final. Some people here have that match in their mind as an example of what Liverpool are capable of or the 60 minutes they played against Roma at Anfield. Liverpool have a lot of football, and for that reason, Madrid have respect, but not fear."

« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 10:58:44 am by Capon Debaser »

Offline liversaint

• Beach boy giver of yuletide joy to ha-run-run-reindeer
  • Legacy Fan
  • Settle down Beavis
You say Honey? I say Fuck off.

You dont win friends with Salad

There is another option. Mr Ferguson organises the fixtures in his office and sends it to us and everyone will know and cannot complain. That is simple.

Offline Sir Capon of Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2777094-why-everyone-in-madrid-is-so-confident-real-will-beat-mentally-weak-liverpool

Why Everyone in Madrid Is So Confident Real Will Beat 'Mentally Weak' Liverpool

On Saturday, Real Madrid will play Liverpool in the UEFA Champions League final in Kiev, Ukraine. In Madrid, they couldn't be more composed at the thought of it. There is a sense of stillness in the air. You could almost reach out and touch it. There's little to trouble the mind about the prospect of facing Jurgen Klopp's freewheeling Liverpool side.

"There isn't any sensation of fear in Madrid about Liverpool—among the directors, among the players," says Diego Torres, a journalist with El Pais. "They're relaxed in Real Madrid before this final. They've never been so calm and confident in the club before a final than now. This final is the easiest final they have in front of them, all of them—[club president] Florentino Perez, the captains. Everyone."

Real Madrid have history on their side. It's a theme that the press in the city is playing up. "Liverpool will be crushed by Real Madrid's legend," Julian Ruiz wrote in El Mundo once the final pairings were decided. Real Madrid have been here before. They know how to win. They have played in 15 European Cup finals. They have won 12 of them.

"People say history and statistics don't necessarily play a part, but it does," says Phil Kitromilides, who works as a presenter for Real Madrid TV. "Maybe not for the opponents—maybe they can block it out; maybe they can't—but for Real Madrid, it certainly plays a part in their self-belief, in believing their own hype. They believe they are the kings of Europe—the fans sing, 'We are the kings of Europe.' They believe they are the strongest team in this competition. And history shows they are."

"Real Madrid are favourites because of the weight of history and because of the experience the players have in these finals," added Tomas Roncero, a journalist with Diario AS. "The other day they did a study and the Real Madrid squad has 46 Champions League-winning medals; Liverpool don't have a player who has won the Champions League."

Roncero points towards the doggedness that dragged Real Madrid through previous finals against Atletico Madrid in 2014 and 2016, for instance, in which they were under the cosh but pulled through.

"They learned how to suffer and to win," he says. "Liverpool may have the dream and the hunger, but Madrid have the experience—they know how to deal with the pressure of a match like this.

"Real Madrid have been created to play finals. Sometimes they might play poorly in second legs en route to the final—in the second leg this season against Juventus, for example, and also in the second leg against Bayern Munich, but it's very hard to see them playing so badly in a final. Real Madrid in finals are very secure, very competitive. The whole team are convinced they are going to win. They never play with a fear of losing. In a final, that makes their rival shrink."

When assessing Liverpool's mindset, critics in Madrid see a team with a soft underbelly, says the English broadcaster Kitromilides: "Liverpool are viewed as being a bit fragile mentally. If they were a boxer, they might have a glass chin. They can be got at. If it gets tough, they don't necessarily find a way to grind out results and hold on, like Real Madrid do.

"Even in the semi-final tie against AS Roma, in the first leg, once those two second-half goals went in, there was a sense of, 'Uh-oh, Liverpool could throw something away here when they'd played so well.' It's the two sides of Liverpool, which people are aware of here—that this is an incredibly exciting, attacking side but one prone to big, defensive lapses and one that is weak mentally. Even if Liverpool take the lead, Real Madrid won't be too terrified because of their strength mentally and Liverpool's perceived weaknesses."

Real Madrid also have a full deck to play with. There are no injury concerns. Their manager, Zinedine Zidane, has the pleasant problem of choosing between Isco, Karim Benzema and a resurgent Gareth Bale—who has scored four goals in his last three games—for the final two pieces of his attacking jigsaw alongside perennial Ballon d'Or winner Cristiano Ronaldo.

When pundits in Madrid consider the squad at Jurgen Klopp's disposal, however, they see it is riddled with flaws. Apart from the vaunted attacking front three—Mohamed Salah, Roberto Firmino and Sadio Mane—it smells of mediocrity. It's a team made up of more artisans than artists.

"Liverpool probably is not even among the top 10 teams in Europe," says Torres, "because it doesn't have a good goalkeeper. It doesn't have a good defence. It only has one international-class defender—Virgil van Dijk. Its full-backs are very limited. Maybe they're strong, fast; they're able to do OK in the English Premier League, but none of them signed for Chelsea or Manchester City or Manchester United because they don't have the level to play for those teams. The full-backs for Tottenham Hotspur are much better than Liverpool's.

"Liverpool's midfield has players who are also forceful, disciplined, self-sacrificing. They know their profession. They are tradesmen. Footballers like Jordan Henderson and James Milner are footballers that lack creativity. There are other British teams with better midfielders. Liverpool doesn't have a player like [Paul] Pogba, nor [Ilkay] Gundogan, nor [Kevin] De Bruyne nor [David] Silva, nor Dele Alli in the centre of their midfield. Liverpool is missing footballers in this part of the pitch with ingenuity."

Torres admires the pragmatic mind of Klopp. He is a coach whom Roncero believes will be first in line to replace Zidane when the Frenchman leaves Real Madrid. There is nothing wantonly cavalier about Klopp's philosophy of football, argued Torres. The gung-ho brand of football Liverpool play springs from necessity; Klopp makes do with the resources at his disposal. He is compelled to make his team adventurous.

"Klopp couldn't come from any other place in the world than Germany," says Torres. "He's from a very defined school. He places a lot of emphasis on physicality. He's modern. He understands contemporary football very well. He's not crazy. The other way around—if he were crazy, he wouldn't have been able to get a team with a lot of deficiencies to the final of the Champions League. He's a very rational coach even if he seems very boisterous and sentimental.

"Klopp has no other option than to be reckless—reckless in the sense of being very attacking. It's a calculation. If his team doesn't attack like crazy, they're lost. They're dead because they don't have players who can defend a lead. They don't have a competent defence. They don't have a midfield that can dictate the rhythm of a game. This is the reason they attack like crazy."

In Salah, Liverpool has a player who has wreaked havoc on defences in England and around Europe this season in an unexpected, thrilling manner. A defining performance in the final at Kiev could put him in the shop window as a future Real Madrid player, reckons Roncero, although both Roncero and Torres say Neymar Jr. is the Real Madrid president's prime target in this summer's transfer market.

"I don't think Mo Salah will be a Galactico in the future," says the well-informed Torres. "Florentino wants to buy other footballers. Florentino wants to buy Neymar. He doesn't have the money to buy Mo Salah. If he can't buy Neymar, he intends to buy Harry Kane or Eden Hazard. Real Madrid have never been interested in buying Mo Salah from what I know."

All eyes will be on Salah to see if he can be decisive in Saturday's final (7:45 p.m. BST, 2:45 p.m. ET). He's part of an irrepressible attacking trident that threatens to derail Real Madrid's ambition to win a fourth UEFA Champions League crown in five seasons. It would be an achievement Real Madrid captain Sergio Ramos stated would cement their place in the history books as the defining team of an era, per Marca. It all hinges on which Liverpool turns up.

"Real Madrid have respect for Liverpool because they are a team, who, if they are inspired, they can make your evening bitter," says Roncero. "Man City saw that at Anfield in the quarter-final. Some people here have that match in their mind as an example of what Liverpool are capable of or the 60 minutes they played against Roma at Anfield. Liverpool have a lot of football, and for that reason, Madrid have respect, but not fear."

Ha. What utter horse shit.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

That was posted a few posts above yours.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
That Diego Torres sounds like a right bell.

Offline Ma Vie en Rouge

• J'aime voir...!
  • Legacy Fan
That Diego Torres is something else.

Does he actually watch football? The entire article is ludicrous. We're weak, but we beat the runaway PL Champions home and away. We only attack like we do because we can't control games. Or because attacking like we do can destroy any team, no matter how good. We don't have a competent defence, but we've conceded less goals than Real. Ok then. See you Saturday.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
In my 50+ years of supporting this club, I'm looking forward to this final more than any before. This Liverpool team seem a group of lovely lads - likely lads that enjoy each other and the electric football they bring.

When we were winning everything, it was hard not to take it for granted. It is different now. This means more.

If we play the way we know we can, I'll be happy even if we don't win because it will have been one hell of a match and we will have lost to the best CL team of recent years. We will be back next year, and better, too.

If we play the way we know we can, we also have every chance of blowing Madrid away.

This, ladies and gentlemen, might be a game we tell our grandchildren about.

C'mon you Redmen.

Whether we win this final or not, I know we're at the start of a very successful period for the club.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
I hope they print that out and put it up in the changing rooms at Melwood.

All the pressure is on that facist tax dodging government bailed out club.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Dave D

• Legacy Fan
"They're relaxed in Real Madrid before this final. They've never been so calm and confident in the club before a final than now. This final is the easiest final they have in front of them, all of them—[club president] Florentino Perez, the captains. Everyone."

"Liverpool will be crushed by Real Madrid's legend," Julian Ruiz wrote in El Mundo once the final pairings were decided.

Liverpool are viewed as being a bit fragile mentally. If they were a boxer, they might have a glass chin.

Apart from the vaunted attacking front three—Mohamed Salah, Roberto Firmino and Sadio Mane—it smells of mediocrity. It's a team made up of more artisans than artists.

Maybe they're strong, fast; they're able to do OK in the English Premier League, but none of them signed for Chelsea or Manchester City or Manchester United because they don't have the level to play for those teams.

Pin it to the dressing room wall. Phone up the tax dodgers and tell them we'll play the final right now.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
The same team of mediocre, mentally-weak artisans who made City look ordinary..........okay...........

I love being the underdogs.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I really hope an opinion article by a biased journalist isn't needed to get our players pumped up for this final. They'll not worry about what some journalist said.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
If we were a boxer we would be GGG,going for that knockout from the first bell. :D
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."