Author Topic: Naby Keita Watch  (Read 1888824 times)

Online Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Naby Keita Watch
« Reply #14320 on: September 26, 2022, 10:28:46 am »
If we give Keita a new contract then Id be concerned as to whether we are trying to do all we bloody can not to spend money.

You've only just figured that out  ;)

Online Scottymuser

• Has many leather bound books (about football), and his home smells of rich mahogany. Bow to his superior knowledge of central defenders.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #14321 on: September 26, 2022, 10:31:48 am »
How so? You really think  they would offer him a contract extension if Klopp didn’t fancy him?

I think the point is that, from an accounting perspective, say a 4 year contract at £100k a week (a little less than what he is on today, but just a nive number) would cost the club £20.8m across the 4 years - the gamble is then on whether if we sell him, we'd recoup whatever % of that 20.8m we'd already sent on salary.  So if we get £10m for him, say, as long as we sell him before 2025 we'd have made a small profit - and £10m for a midefielder gets you nothing these days. 

If we lose Ox/Milner (for free), and don't sign Arthur, then also letting Keita go, whilst having 3 injury prone 30+ year olds as first choice (and at least 1 of them *more* injury prone than Naby), and then 2 extremely young in Curtis and Harvey, with nobody else is a risk and would need multiple, more expensive players to bulk the squad up - and it then becomes less a "does Klopp 100% want to keep him" vs "can we afford all the players Klopp does want, or do we have to keep Naby for, say, 1 year to give us the 2 transfer windows to refresh that area".  Especially if we can get him to accept that small pay cut (or a larger one), it could influence Klopp in to keeping him around as, say, 6th choice for 1 more year

Offline JasonF

• Frenkie says "Ilaix, don't do it"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Funny T-Shirts
« Reply #14322 on: September 26, 2022, 10:34:08 am »
They’re better by the fact they actually get on the pitch and play.

Appearances 21/22

Keita: 40
Douglas Luiz: 35
Mac Alister: 36
Laimer: 36
« Last Edit: September 26, 2022, 10:44:07 am by JasonF »

Online Scottymuser

• Has many leather bound books (about football), and his home smells of rich mahogany. Bow to his superior knowledge of central defenders.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14323 on: September 26, 2022, 10:36:05 am »
Then when nobody wants to pay decent money for somebody who could get injured turning the cooker on, then what? Throwing good money after bad is not usually a winning strategy. Especially in football.

It doesn't need to be "decent" money really - we spent nearly 20m on Thiago, and nearly 35m on Ox - both of them when they were much more injury prone.  Even £5-10m next summer would make a profit on offering him a contract.   And it isn't like he is too old to overcome the injuries and then play better football more regularly - he could likely go to Serie A, or the Bundesliga, and the less physical nature of those leagues would help (and the rumours are Dortmund would be interested if he were free, so maybe £5-10m just to get some cash out of him they'd be willing)

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14324 on: September 26, 2022, 10:39:29 am »
Appearances 21/22

Keita: 30
Douglas Luiz: 35
Mac Alister: 36
Laimer: 36

Here's the winner though:

McTominay: 37

People seem to miss the fact Keita had decent injury record last season.

Offline JasonF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Funny T-Shirts
« Reply #14325 on: September 26, 2022, 10:44:35 am »
People seem to miss the fact Keita had decent injury record last season.

I actually missed his 10 Champions League games off by mistake, so Keita played more than any of those.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #14326 on: September 26, 2022, 10:57:37 am »
How does he compare this season? Or the season 20/21 season, just curious.

Offline JasonF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Funny T-Shirts
« Reply #14327 on: September 26, 2022, 11:05:13 am »
How does he compare this season? Or the season 20/21 season, just curious.

Well obviously he hasn't played yet this season, but you know that already. He's back in October though and who's to say he won't have similar availability to last year?

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14328 on: September 26, 2022, 11:07:51 am »
Well obviously he hasn't played yet this season, but you know that already. He's back in October though and who's to say he won't have similar availability to last year?

Well if we look at the stats for Keita and the time he’s been with us, I would say Keita would be the one saying it.

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14329 on: September 26, 2022, 11:12:58 am »
I think that he was available for 40 games and played less total minutes by a considerable distance than someone like Douglas Luiz did, just in the league, is another reason why it's pointless keeping him. He's not a young player we're looking to develop and he's still not trusted, or able, to play much

Offline JasonF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Funny T-Shirts
« Reply #14330 on: September 26, 2022, 11:17:37 am »
Well if we look at the stats for Keita and the time he’s been with us, I would say Keita would be the one saying it.

Pretty clear it was something we've been working on though, we brought in new conditioning staff, we rotated him with Thiago, Keita himself looks stronger and he had a lot better availability.

Like Matip he had very little history of injury before joining us. You can't just assume that once someone has had injury problems that's how it will always be. There were mitigating circumstances for Keita such as how he was rushed back by Guinea after his most serious injury.

I'm not advocating he gets a new contract, I think he's a fantastic player but I don't think you can afford to carry both him and Thiago in the same squad unless you consider them half a player (which I doubt the wages reflect). But there were clear signs his availability was improving before this latest muscle injury, and as we've seen with our start to the season that can happen to just about anyone.

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14331 on: September 26, 2022, 11:18:43 am »

He's already missed more games this season than last season.

22/23: 10+
21/22: 8
20/21: 23 (6 through Covid TBF)
19/20: 18
18/19: 11

Before joining us the most games he missed in a season was 8. I can see why the club were looking at extending his contract as those two seasons from 2019-2021 look like outliers compared to the rest of his injury history, however his lack of availability this season should be setting off alarm bells as the muscle problems have continued. He's also not at an age where he's likely to magically start staying fit again, usually players with a history of injury problems only get worse as they get into their late twenties.

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14332 on: September 26, 2022, 11:24:11 am »
Pretty clear it was something we've been working on though, we brought in new conditioning staff, we rotated him with Thiago, Keita himself looks stronger and he had a lot better availability.

Like Matip he had very little history of injury before joining us. You can't just assume that once someone has had injury problems that's how it will always be. There were mitigating circumstances for Keita such as how he was rushed back by Guinea after his most serious injury.

I'm not advocating he gets a new contract, I think he's a fantastic player but I don't think you can afford to carry both him and Thiago in the same squad unless you consider them half a player (which I doubt the wages reflect). But there were clear signs his availability was improving before this latest muscle injury, and as we've seen with our start to the season that can happen to just about anyone.

I’m not saying he isn’t a fantastic player, when he plays. It’s definitely something the club worked on, playing him less when he was available, rotating him, and then building his fitness. The problem is though once he gets injured he tends to stay injured for awhile. With our current midfield issues we can’t afford that.

I would have loved him to work out here but the truth is it hasn’t. He’s been on the injured table so much Aquilani is jealous.

If the club give him a new contract it would be criminal.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #14333 on: September 26, 2022, 12:04:14 pm »
If we give Keita a new contract then Id be concerned as to whether we are trying to do all we bloody can not to spend money.

Renewing Milner suited us from that perspective. I was happy to keep Milner at the club but I said at the time not at the expense of renewing the squad and he needs to play less not more. Ox and Keita should have been moved on to allow that process or at least sorted Keita's contract out otherwise

We've got ourselves in a position where 4 of our senior midfielders are out of contract next summer and 2 more are another year over 30. We've sleep walked into this.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2022, 12:06:25 pm by Fromola »
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Online AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14334 on: October 5, 2022, 07:17:39 pm »
Is this man even injured or has he just downed tools?

If he is injured, what is his injury?

Offline Too early for flapjacks?

• It is? Hmm. How about a Groundhog steak? No? Damn. Thinks James Milner has the perfect body.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14335 on: October 5, 2022, 07:32:36 pm »
Is this man even injured or has he just downed tools?

If he is injured, what is his injury?

FFS how many times does Klopp have to say he's injured. His national team also confirmed this and didn't take him away for their most recent internationals in September. Klopp has publicly said be has a muscle injury and is due back sometime in October.

Online AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14336 on: October 5, 2022, 09:31:06 pm »
FFS how many times does Klopp have to say he's injured. His national team also confirmed this and didn't take him away for their most recent internationals in September. Klopp has publicly said be has a muscle injury and is due back sometime in October.

So see him in January then?

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14337 on: October 5, 2022, 10:32:49 pm »

October!

next year!!

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14338 on: October 5, 2022, 11:10:59 pm »
he was at the game yesterday sitting next to curtis - first time I've noticed him being there. maybe a sign he's no longer on assigned rest or something

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14339 on: October 6, 2022, 06:38:42 am »

Playing for BvB.  ::)
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Aldo1988

• Legacy Fan
  • Superduperfan & Whopper. Ooh sexist.
« Reply #14340 on: October 6, 2022, 11:02:36 am »
Don't get how it's getting mentioned that he will be sold in January, when he'll be on free in the summer?  Who would pay anything for him when they'll be able to get him for nothing in 6 months time?
"Has Anyone Really Been Far Even as Decided to Use Even Go Want to do Look More Like?"

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14341 on: October 6, 2022, 01:19:17 pm »
Don't get how it's getting mentioned that he will be sold in January, when he'll be on free in the summer?  Who would pay anything for him when they'll be able to get him for nothing in 6 months time?

The same people who know that I have to learn when to stop flogging a dead meme.

(Haha I like how this was modified).
« Last Edit: October 6, 2022, 02:44:20 pm by newterp »

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #14342 on: October 6, 2022, 02:05:42 pm »
The same people who know that I have to learn when to stop flogging a dead meme.

Why did you name your horse "meme?"
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #14343 on: October 6, 2022, 02:29:23 pm »
Don't get how it's getting mentioned that he will be sold in January, when he'll be on free in the summer? Who would pay anything for him when they'll be able to get him for nothing in 6 months time?

Its an ironic question to ask in this thread, since we paid more than Naby Keitas release fee to get him and avoid competing for his signature ;)
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14344 on: October 6, 2022, 02:45:04 pm »
Why did you name your horse "meme?"
Its an ironic question to ask in this thread, since we paid more than Naby Keitas release fee to get him and avoid competing for his signature ;)

There is a very clever modification at work here!

Offline Aldo1988

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14345 on: October 6, 2022, 03:39:51 pm »

I'm not sure other clubs will be as desperate to sign him as we were when we paid up for him.  Think if there are any clubs after him, they will wait until he is fit and see how the rest of the season pans out for him in terms of injuries.
"Has Anyone Really Been Far Even as Decided to Use Even Go Want to do Look More Like?"

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14346 on: October 6, 2022, 03:43:46 pm »
I'm not sure other clubs will be as desperate to sign him as we were when we paid up for him.  Think if there are any clubs after him, they will wait until he is fit and see how the rest of the season pans out for him in terms of injuries.

You never know do you? Bayern might fancy him on a free, Red Bull might fancy not competing with Bayern to sign him on a free and chuck a nominal fee at us to sign him early.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Aldo1988

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14347 on: October 6, 2022, 03:49:03 pm »
You never know do you? Bayern might fancy him on a free, Red Bull might fancy not competing with Bayern to sign him on a free and chuck a nominal fee at us to sign him early.

It's a long shot, I'd be very happy if it happened, and we got something back for him.  Nothing against his ability, obviously, just his fitness/injury record.   

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #14348 on: October 6, 2022, 06:04:26 pm »
From Reddit, make of it what you will:

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14349 on: October 6, 2022, 06:08:47 pm »
:D

What do you make of it Dave?

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #14350 on: October 6, 2022, 06:41:10 pm »

Will the club go full Everton and take his locker off him like Niasse? :D

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14351 on: October 6, 2022, 06:49:28 pm »
Here's a tweet from 5 days ago where Arthur was in that spot.

https://twitter.com/lfc/status/1576200083883708416

Almost like stuff gets moved around depending on the squad.

Offline Aldo1988

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14352 on: October 6, 2022, 06:55:21 pm »

Looks photoshop'd to me :)

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14353 on: October 6, 2022, 07:12:11 pm »

Online Boaty McBoatface

• Custom Title McCustomtitleface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14354 on: October 6, 2022, 07:28:59 pm »

Naby's name between Milner and Firmino on the left.

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #14355 on: October 6, 2022, 08:51:36 pm »
:D

What do you make of it Dave?

Why can't you all just let me have my Naby conspiracy theories in peace ;)

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14356 on: October 6, 2022, 09:37:39 pm »
Can't believe they've removed his name plate, what a devious plot - lucky they forget the shirt underneath, otherwise it'd never have been foiled

Offline Aldo1988

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14357 on: October 7, 2022, 08:23:59 am »

Naby's name between Milner and Firmino on the left.

Looks like Jones, the Ox and Robertson are leaving as well  ;)

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14358 on: October 7, 2022, 11:24:41 am »

Heard his most recent injury was due to his name falling on him. This confirms it.

Online mrantarctica

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14359 on: October 7, 2022, 11:57:28 am »
Heard his most recent injury was due to his name falling on him. This confirms it.

I heard that it didn't actually hit him. He tried to dodge it but ended up pulling a muscle.