32 (25.4%)
Murphy
4 (3.2%)
Robertson
27 (21.4%)
Allen
9 (7.1%)

Total Members Voted: 126

Author Topic: The Snooker thread  (Read 645790 times)

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
Re: The Snooker thread
« Reply #11960 on: January 15, 2024, 12:40:41 pm »
I agree in part. Hendry’s period of dominance in the 90s was absolute and he had a level of consistency that Ronnie did not. In fact until around 2012 Ronnie would lose to just about anybody if he was in self sabotage mode. Ebdon and Selby in particular knew how to slow him down and get him to play daft shots just to get out of there. It wasn’t till Ronnie found Steve Peters that he became consistent and he’s now one of the toughest players mentally on the tour.

I would have loved to see peak Ronnie play peak Hendry. I certainly don’t assume Ronnie would win and in some ways it’s unfair to compare across generations. Ronnie’s longevity wasn’t something you saw coming when he was walking out of games and I half wonder whether Hendry’s intensity and obsessiveness meant he burnt out earlier.

As a player I couldn’t stand Hendry as I was a big Jimmy White fan but he is hands down the best pundit out there. I’ve really grown to like the guy.

Yup, same for me, I can’t believe I am actually warming to Hendry since he retired much more then I ever thought I could, Jimmy was a huge reason I fell in love with the game as a kid.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline Redley

• Legacy Fan
  • Turned doubters to believers
« Reply #11961 on: January 15, 2024, 12:56:49 pm »
Agree with all of that.
I always find it a bit amusing when a commentator (whilst sitting next to Hendry) will call Ronnie the undisputed GOAT. I'm not saying he's not but I think it's odd that people now don't even seem to think that Hendry is at least in the argument. I'd say that even Davis should still be part of the discussion. It's a relative thing obviously but Davis' domination felt as absolute as Hendry's did at the time.
They were the snooker equivalent of Maureen's first Chelsea side.
You felt you were lucky to even get a remote chance against them never mind beat them. That's what made the Luis Garcia/Dennis Taylor moments all the greater.

In terms of ability its not even a contest, so I think thats probably what they mean. But....he's won as many world titles, more UKs (holds the record), more Masters (holds the record), most centuries (holds the record) and most maximums (holds the record). And all that when its probably accepted that he should have won more.

Offline mattD

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #11962 on: January 15, 2024, 12:57:55 pm »
Hendry is one of the best commentators around in any sport.

Succinct, to the point, and very perceptive and insightful. I wish he was commentating every game.

Offline tray fenny

• virtue signaling keyboard warrior
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11963 on: January 15, 2024, 12:58:50 pm »
Hendry played to a formula, long red, angle on the blue to split the pack, it was similar to doing the rubics cube(yes), do thst bit, move to step 2 etc. Ronnie on the other hand is a gifted genius, no 2 frames the same.
'Germany are a very difficult team to play, they had 11 internationals out there today.' - Steve Lomas

Offline johnybarnes

• Legacy Fan

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
  • Call Meeeeeee The Splund
« Reply #11965 on: January 16, 2024, 01:04:57 am »
I've not watched that documentary yet, but fully intend to, so that might shed some more light on it.
Good shout. Forgot about that documentary, might give it a watch as well.

Offline Boaty McBoatface

• Custom Title McCustomtitleface
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Johnny Aldridge

• Kopite
  • Red & White Crown Paints Kop
« Reply #11967 on: January 16, 2024, 03:27:33 am »
Funny how a few have said what I’ve thought the last few years, but I far prefer Hendry now as a commentator than I did as a player. Ronnie for me will always be number one. He’s the most naturally gifted of all I’ve seen since the 80s, Hendry, Davis et al could all beat Ronnie on their day, but to play left & right handed with no seeming drop in standard is another level of talent.

As far as the man O Suillivan is I can only go by the small interaction I had with him 20 years ago or so. He played a charity function for children setup by the local snooker club in a hotel about 2hrs from Dublin. His flight was delayed and instead of arriving in the afternoon he basically got off the plane,got in a car, got to the hotel and walked straight into photos being taken and signing autographs and then he played a few frames against a local and Ken Doherty. He went out of his way that evening and did it for free. He couldn’t have been any more decent.

(Keith Duffy from boyzone was there also and when I went up to get a photo with Ronnie he said to me “I’ll step out yeah, ya don’t want me in the photos I’m guessing” ;D )
For a player to be good enough to play for Liverpool, he must be prepared to run through a brick wall for me then come out fighting on the other side.
Bill Shankly 1913-1981.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #11968 on: January 16, 2024, 09:17:16 am »
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11969 on: January 16, 2024, 10:14:48 am »
Hendry really is a great pundit/commentator. I was watching the game between Murphy and Lisowski (I think) and Lisowski put Murphy into what initially seemed a pretty innocuous snooker in a close frame with 2-3 reds left. I think Parrot was the other commentator and he didn't mention it but Hendry immediately said that he thought Lisowski would get 16 points from it, and he ended up getting 20. Very insightful.

I don't think there can be any doubt at all that Ronnie is the GOAT, but I think Hendry is further clear of whoever is third (probably Davis) than Ronnie is from Hendry. But every metric you can think of makes Ronnie the GOAT. Longevity, tournament wins, triple crown wins, WC wins, centuries. And then you get to the 5 min 147 and his ability to play left-handed and its beyond a joke.

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #11970 on: January 16, 2024, 10:31:14 am »
Glad that little angry fathead didn't win.
;D

I’ve hardly ever seen him play before Sunday, but he does seem to have an attitude problem.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #11971 on: January 16, 2024, 11:13:42 am »
Funny how a few have said what I’ve thought the last few years, but I far prefer Hendry now as a commentator than I did as a player. Ronnie for me will always be number one. He’s the most naturally gifted of all I’ve seen since the 80s, Hendry, Davis et al could all beat Ronnie on their day, but to play left & right handed with no seeming drop in standard is another level of talent.

As far as the man O Suillivan is I can only go by the small interaction I had with him 20 years ago or so. He played a charity function for children setup by the local snooker club in a hotel about 2hrs from Dublin. His flight was delayed and instead of arriving in the afternoon he basically got off the plane,got in a car, got to the hotel and walked straight into photos being taken and signing autographs and then he played a few frames against a local and Ken Doherty. He went out of his way that evening and did it for free. He couldn’t have been any more decent.

(Keith Duffy from boyzone was there also and when I went up to get a photo with Ronnie he said to me “I’ll step out yeah, ya don’t want me in the photos I’m guessing” ;D )

That last bit made me chuckle. :D

Offline nayia2002

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • http://www.victoriacreperie.co.uk/
« Reply #11972 on: January 16, 2024, 07:43:44 pm »
Hendry really is a great pundit/commentator. I was watching the game between Murphy and Lisowski (I think) and Lisowski put Murphy into what initially seemed a pretty innocuous snooker in a close frame with 2-3 reds left. I think Parrot was the other commentator and he didn't mention it but Hendry immediately said that he thought Lisowski would get 16 points from it, and he ended up getting 20. Very insightful.

I don't think there can be any doubt at all that Ronnie is the GOAT, but I think Hendry is further clear of whoever is third (probably Davis) than Ronnie is from Hendry. But every metric you can think of makes Ronnie the GOAT. Longevity, tournament wins, triple crown wins, WC wins, centuries. And then you get to the 5 min 147 and his ability to play left-handed and its beyond a joke.

No doubt the absolute GOAT. Incredible what he has achieved.
who are you to judge the life i live?
i know im not perfect-and i dont live to be,
but before you start pointing fingers make
sure your hands are clean!.

Online meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #11973 on: January 16, 2024, 08:17:32 pm »
Even though I’ve watched pretty much all of Ronnies major titles over the last 30 years, I had no idea about Carter off the table.  Spent a large part of today researching just how much of a bell end he is. Move over Shaun Murphy, I have a new least favourite player.

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #11974 on: January 16, 2024, 09:17:28 pm »
Anyone watched the O’Sullivan documentary on Amazon? Thought it was good, his run in with the official at the majors was amusing. You do get the impression that he’s bigger than the sport, people walking on egg shells around him knowing if he walks away, the sport is poorer for it.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #11975 on: January 16, 2024, 09:27:59 pm »
Even though I’ve watched pretty much all of Ronnies major titles over the last 30 years, I had no idea about Carter off the table.  Spent a large part of today researching just how much of a bell end he is. Move over Shaun Murphy, I have a new least favourite player.
His response today was quite unpleasant. If he actually does think Ronnie has mental health issues (he doesn’t, he was just being snide) he shouldn’t say this:-.

"I actually feel sorry for him, I don't think he's that well….mentally”.

Offline kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11976 on: January 18, 2024, 10:26:50 am »
You do get the impression that he’s bigger than the sport, people walking on egg shells around him knowing if he walks away, the sport is poorer for it.

I'm actually starting to think that Ronnie's longevity and dominance is starting to become bad for the sport. This 48 year old guy should not be winning the first 2 majors in the season (and he only won 2 majors in a single season once before in his career!), what the hell are the younger players doing?

Its a massive subject and I think its been touched on in this thread before, but as a near-50 year old myself I think it says a lot about the generation of under-30's mentality that they just don't have the concentration or dedication needed to compete with these old timers. Where I'm surprised is that I thought the Chinese players would have dominated more by now for similar reasons.

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #11977 on: January 18, 2024, 04:50:36 pm »
I'm actually starting to think that Ronnie's longevity and dominance is starting to become bad for the sport. This 48 year old guy should not be winning the first 2 majors in the season (and he only won 2 majors in a single season once before in his career!), what the hell are the younger players doing?

Its a massive subject and I think its been touched on in this thread before, but as a near-50 year old myself I think it says a lot about the generation of under-30's mentality that they just don't have the concentration or dedication needed to compete with these old timers. Where I'm surprised is that I thought the Chinese players would have dominated more by now for similar reasons.
Some very fair points in there mate.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
  • Call Meeeeeee The Splund
« Reply #11978 on: January 18, 2024, 09:04:42 pm »
I could be mistaken, but I think players generally play a lot more tournaments than say the 80's? There's all this travel to the far east as well.

I'm trying to look for reasons to this inconsistency, and I think -like most sports today- it's too many matches (they literally finished the Masters and 2 days after I'm seeing scores from some other tournament).

I could be totally wrong, to me as an observation (based on no stats etc, just looking at it) that the pace seems quicker, the game itself seems quicker, less snookers, more about a shootout, players are burnt out.

I could be wrong, but the whole 'snooker loopy' world seemed a lot slower/simpler.

Now of course Ronnie is traveling and doing all those things AND excelling, but he's an outlier, a once in a lifetime, just gifted with an X factor. Whereas you can see the less super human players shine in a tournament and then disappear for a stretch.

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #11979 on: January 18, 2024, 09:12:02 pm »
https://www.wst.tv/news/2024/january/18/alalshikh-announces-agreement-with-world-snooker-to-host-first-ever-invitational-event/

Jesus wept... We all knew the sportswashers would come for snooker.

"Each game will be played under World Snooker rules and regulations but with the introduction of an innovative new concept, a 23rd ball known as the Riyadh Season ball. This gold ball will be worth 20 points and can only be potted once all other balls have been successfully cleared from the table if a player is on a maximum break to make it 167."
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline Boaty McBoatface

• Custom Title McCustomtitleface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11980 on: January 18, 2024, 09:14:55 pm »
Pot the reds then, screw back
For the yellow green brown blue pink and black and gold
Snooker loopy nuts are we
We're all snooker loopy

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #11981 on: January 18, 2024, 09:18:24 pm »
Pot the reds then, screw back
For the yellow green brown blue pink and black and gold
Snooker loopy nuts are we
We're all snooker loopy

We'll show you what we can do
With a load of saws and suitcase too!
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11982 on: January 19, 2024, 09:14:05 am »
A fucking gold ball.

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11983 on: January 19, 2024, 09:29:49 am »
Is that a wind up?  It has to be surely. A gold ball?  Re-writing rules of games now and naming if after themselves. 147 is iconic, if they get rid of that they may aswell rip the whole thing up and call it a new sport. Shame on Snooker if they let that happen

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11984 on: January 19, 2024, 09:45:22 am »
https://www.wst.tv/news/2024/january/18/alalshikh-announces-agreement-with-world-snooker-to-host-first-ever-invitational-event/

Jesus wept... We all knew the sportswashers would come for snooker.

"Each game will be played under World Snooker rules and regulations but with the introduction of an innovative new concept, a 23rd ball known as the Riyadh Season ball. This gold ball will be worth 20 points and can only be potted once all other balls have been successfully cleared from the table if a player is on a maximum break to make it 167."

Well it's not World Snooker rules and regulations if you introduce a new concept.

Why not give darts players a 4th dart if they hit 180 for a Supermax of 240?

I get the feeling the Saudis are intentionally trying to ruin every sport.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11985 on: January 19, 2024, 09:54:35 am »

I think they're trying to change every sport with the name Riyadh ingrained in them so that in generations to come people will believe that the games originated there, that they are the epicenter for all sport. They want Fifa HQ's there, Golf HQ's there, Boxing, all sports. With the greed and lack of humanity in Sport, it's all going that way.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11986 on: January 19, 2024, 09:57:13 am »
O'Sullivan will be all over that shit as I'm sure the money will be 'worth it' in his eyes.

What an absolutely ridiculous concept  :butt
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Redley

• Legacy Fan
  • Turned doubters to believers
« Reply #11987 on: January 19, 2024, 10:05:15 am »

He's only really made a dent on the worlds twice in the last decade. If anyones dominated in recent times you'd say it was Selby, and that definitely wasn't good for the sport :D

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #11988 on: January 19, 2024, 10:10:33 am »
As someone said on Twitter, it'll change the sport completely, especially when Mark Shelby knocks the gold ball safe onto the side cushion. 
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline zamagiure

• tujenkins
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11989 on: January 19, 2024, 10:20:34 am »
Is there any other sports for these arseholes to destroy with money.
mines a pint

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11990 on: January 19, 2024, 10:26:06 am »
As someone said on Twitter, it'll change the sport completely, especially when Mark Shelby knocks the gold ball safe onto the side cushion. 

It's not popular, but I love watching Selby play Snooker. I think it's because I used to play a bit, and I was excellent at the safety side of the game. I'm a positive person, but a negative bastard when it comes to some sports. My favourite players are defenders, I love watching a team when they have their back to the wall, I'd take a frame of snooker with a brilliant safety battle over a century break frame. 

Online rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11991 on: January 19, 2024, 11:01:35 am »
It's not popular, but I love watching Selby play Snooker. I think it's because I used to play a bit, and I was excellent at the safety side of the game. I'm a positive person, but a negative bastard when it comes to some sports. My favourite players are defenders, I love watching a team when they have their back to the wall, I'd take a frame of snooker with a brilliant safety battle over a century break frame.

Hi Big Sam how are you mate? Got a new job yet?  ;D
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Online Ma Vie en Rouge

• J'aime voir...!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11992 on: January 19, 2024, 11:35:17 am »
Well it's not World Snooker rules and regulations if you introduce a new concept.

No, they are just utterly tasteless. Gold cars, gold toilets, gold balls. It's classy, innit. Let's make the table gold too. And the cues. And Ronnie! Let's make Ronnie gold.

Online meady1981

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #11993 on: January 19, 2024, 12:33:02 pm »
I think Ronnie would make the 147 and refuse the gold

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11994 on: January 19, 2024, 01:12:04 pm »

Hi Big Sam how are you mate? Got a new job yet?  ;D

;D
Working on it, me and Tony Pulis are thinking of teaming up

Offline kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11995 on: January 19, 2024, 01:28:12 pm »

I'll be honest, I used to despise Selby but when I learned more about his off-the-table struggles and how he seems to be such a decent guy, you know what? I don't mind watching him grind away now. Snooker would be boring if it was all Jimmy White, Tony Drago and Ronnie types all just smashing the balls around. (I know Ronnie is much more than that, but only because he has to. If he could get away with smashing them around he would).

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #11996 on: January 19, 2024, 01:29:35 pm »
I think Ronnie would make the 147 and refuse the gold

Ronnie O’Bullion.

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11997 on: January 19, 2024, 02:12:38 pm »

It's pretty obvious now. They've been prioritising the "big" sports and now they're moving into everything else.

I'm sure they'll go after Darts at some point in the future.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Online meady1981

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #11998 on: January 19, 2024, 02:15:10 pm »
I'll be honest, I used to despise Selby but when I learned more about his off-the-table struggles and how he seems to be such a decent guy, you know what? I don't mind watching him grind away now. Snooker would be boring if it was all Jimmy White, Tony Drago and Ronnie types all just smashing the balls around. (I know Ronnie is much more than that, but only because he has to. If he could get away with smashing them around he would).

I used to detest Selby. But much the same, hearing about his mental health struggles has softened me to him. One thing the Ronnie doc did really well was show how tough a game Snooker is for anyone with mental health issues. It's a really lonely, repetitive sport played in pretty depressing venues compared to most high-end sport.

Offline Roady

• Streety's long lost brother. AKA the Shit Buhunt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11999 on: January 19, 2024, 02:22:35 pm »
I'm in the selby crew.him and Robertson are my two favourite to watch. Ronnie just does my head in exceptionally talented yes.But an absolute idiot in my eyes.cant stand the fella at all.
Giant sponges. That is the answer for flooding.