Poll

Every week PGMOL fuck us over. City are cheats. The league is shite....

I'd be very upset. The Premier League is the best competition there is
I would be a bit upset, but I can see the reasons for leaving
Chocolate Truffles
I'd be quite happy. The Premier league isn't what it was
I'd be delighted. Fuck them
I like cheesy wotsits covered in gravy. Mmmm.. Gravy....

Author Topic: If Liverpool fucked off the Premier league, how would you feel?  (Read 22361 times)

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: If Liverpool fucked off the Premier league, how would you feel?
« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2023, 05:58:03 pm »
Ive voted that id be delighted. Fuck the premier league.

Offline A Red Abroad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We had dreams and songs to sing
« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2023, 06:06:08 pm »
Just having a look at the map now and I see the problem in football terms - you are basically equidistant from everywhere.  Tough break. 

Yep!

On the other hand, you do get to live there so my sympathy is minimal.

Yep!  ;D
My marmoset, to get things done,
You fell in Loch Ness with Major Tom.

Offline Macc77

• Anny Roader
« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2023, 07:19:17 pm »
The nearest city to me is Limoges - the local club (LFC and played in all red :D) was a sixth tier club but like many smaller clubs, they went bust in 2020 during the pandemic. :(

So, pretty much every club is hours away. Saud-owned 'La Berrichone' are the closest I can find. And they can now f*ck off!

Nantes and RS Paris are way out of the question though.

:)

Got a friend who lives near Limoges in the country. Married a French lad, settled there. He follows L'OM, which is nowhere near but good enough for me, I really like Marseille as a city, rough and ready, a bit dangerous but alot of fun, and that club have a very interesting history. I appreciate you're looking further down the ladder though and not looking for a LFC replacement.

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2023, 07:23:12 pm »
Fuck the Premier League and all the c*nts who sail her
Jurgen YNWA

Offline A Red Abroad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2023, 07:23:37 pm »
Got a friend who lives near Limoges in the country. Married a French lad, settled there. He follows L'OM, which is nowhere near but good enough for me, I really like Marseille as a city, rough and ready, a bit dangerous but alot of fun, and that club have a very interesting history. I appreciate you're looking further down the ladder though and not looking for a LFC replacement.

Yeah, Marseille is miles away but I do like 'dock' towns - as you say a bit dangerous.

Bordeaux is closer - but still a fair drive.

I'll figure something out.

:)

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: May 21, 2023, 08:15:02 pm »
Sorry, I meant missing out to Northampton for 'automatic'. My bad.

Oh wow! And beating Che's club is a bonus.  ;D

He'll be well chuffed.

Ta :D

[EDIT] I just called them - they're off to Wembley for the P/O Final next weekend. :D

I was doing a late run to Grangemouth yesterday and once I hit Scotland all I could get on DAB was 5Live, they kept flicking to the game, was funny as fuck when Salford thought they were back in it only for Stockport to score again 3 mins later ;D
Jurgen YNWA

Offline A Red Abroad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: May 21, 2023, 08:34:31 pm »
I was doing a late run to Grangemouth yesterday and once I hit Scotland all I could get on DAB was 5Live, they kept flicking to the game, was funny as fuck when Salford thought they were back in it only for Stockport to score again 3 mins later ;D

Ace!

The little lad is chuffed - he's going to London to see his team at Wembley. :D

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: May 21, 2023, 08:41:20 pm »
I voted Chocolate Truffles.

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: May 21, 2023, 08:42:47 pm »
World's best league my big fat arse. Fuck PGMOL the gang of Tories

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: May 21, 2023, 08:44:45 pm »
Ace!

The little lad is chuffed - he's going to London to see his team at Wembley. :D

Hope he has a brilliant day. Carlisle only finished 3 pts behind them in the league, so going to be a tough game, hope for his sake they win it.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #50 on: May 21, 2023, 08:51:04 pm »
I like wotsits Andy.

Wotsits are TIGHT!

Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline A Red Abroad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: May 21, 2023, 08:52:15 pm »
Hope he has a brilliant day. Carlisle only finished 3 pts behind them in the league, so going to be a tough game, hope for his sake they win it.

Thanks mate.

Yeah, that will be a looooooooooong drive home for his mum if not.  ;D

Offline A Red Abroad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: May 21, 2023, 08:52:44 pm »
I voted Chocolate Truffles.

Excellent choice sir. :D

Offline Baby Huey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: May 21, 2023, 08:59:29 pm »
For me it doesn't matter where we play, I'm a Red, I'll always be a Red and no matter where we play I'll always be a supporter.

Offline shank94

• Currently at minus 10 and falling...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: May 21, 2023, 09:07:15 pm »
I really hate how they think they are untouchable and need no accountability. The hate and incident on referees at grassroot levels that they hide behind stems from their non competence at the highest level.
Everyone knows it's Shanks, Shank is part of my name.

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: May 21, 2023, 09:27:28 pm »
As long as the state owned clubs are left out, I am 100% in favor of the European Super League. I would love to see it with 3 tiers and 72 clubs (maybe even 4 tiers and 96 clubs), promotion/relegation of 4 clubs between the tiers every season, no more than 4 clubs from one country and no more than 2 clubs from one city (so most of the European countries are involved), a professional refereeing organization with the best referees in the World, and of course, a fair distribution of the ESL revenues to all the involved clubs ...

Offline KevLFC

• Doesn't know the offside laws
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: May 21, 2023, 09:44:38 pm »
As long as the state owned clubs are left out, I am 100% in favor of the European Super League. I would love to see it with 3 tiers and 72 clubs (maybe even 4 tiers and 96 clubs), promotion/relegation of 4 clubs between the tiers every season, no more than 4 clubs from one country and no more than 2 clubs from one city (so most of the European countries are involved), a professional refereeing organization with the best referees in the World, and of course, a fair distribution of the ESL revenues to all the involved clubs ...

Super league with corrupt Italians and Real and Barca. Who else would be in it Bayern, Dortmund, Man Utd, Arsenal? Ajax? There isn't enough good teams in Europe. Yes the officials are shite but European ones are not much better.

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: May 21, 2023, 10:20:44 pm »
Super league with corrupt Italians and Real and Barca.

At the moment, the most corrupt league is the Premier League. In Spain and Italy they are actually punishing the cheaters and the corrupt football officials ...

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: May 21, 2023, 10:24:28 pm »
Who else would be in it Bayern, Dortmund, Man Utd, Arsenal? Ajax? There isn't enough good teams in Europe. Yes the officials are shite but European ones are not much better.

Take the state owned clubs out, and you have your list of clubs ...

https://kassiesa.net/uefa/data/method5/trank2023.html

And the European referees are much better than the English ...

Offline KevLFC

• Doesn't know the offside laws
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: May 21, 2023, 11:33:36 pm »
Take the state owned clubs out, and you have your list of clubs ...

https://kassiesa.net/uefa/data/method5/trank2023.html

And the European referees are much better than the English ...

There are some bad ones. Like that Norweigan ref. Only have to look on some forums or videos showing the decisions Real and Barca get because they are the darlings of Europe. Its like they get dismissed. The pens in the City v Bayern game were not pens, how anyone think they were pens I don't know.

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm in love with here and I feel fine
« Reply #60 on: May 21, 2023, 11:53:10 pm »
Personally speaking, I wouldn't give 2 fucks if professional football ended tomorrow. Not because of referees though. As a grown up, I've enough self-awareness to recognise that my biases will never allow me to impartially assess the performance of any match official. I'm also not naive enough to think that the best way to end domestic footballing corruption is by starting a new tournament with the likes of Madrid, Juve, PSG etc. Call me a skeptic but European football has never really been known for its ethical transparency, has it?. No, the reason I'm happy for the sport to disappear down the shit pan is because of the hyper-consumerism that now infests it, along with all the painfully insufferable shit storm of podcasts/phone ins/YouTube personalities/Sky Saturation that now surrounds it. Both of which will only sink their teeth in even further if an ESL is ever formed. So yeah, fuck the ESL, fuck your face, and fuck football. What you think of that? :)

+1

Not to mention the insufferable social media avalanches of online bullying and mindless shit-posting.

I despise modern football but I love Liverpool, so I'm hanging on to it with a thread. It's a very thin thread by now.
What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #61 on: May 22, 2023, 12:41:05 am »
I thought so.

I think they still are to be honest

Because it was about money!! Sportswashing had no baring on the Super League stuff, it was all about money so those sides were always gonna be included. It was played up as some way to save football but it was centred around money and greed
Yep. It would have been the biggest concentration of wealth and privilege in all sport, more than  F1 or golf or the Eton Wall Game. It would have become very ugly very quickly and no matter what was claimed there is no way that states and sportwashers would have been barred or adequeately neutralised. After all, owners of clubs want the option to sell their club to very, very rich buyers one day so they will not be barring such buyers from ownership or making it unattractive to them. Turkeys do not vote for Christmas.
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #62 on: May 22, 2023, 12:43:11 am »
Still are apparently. I honestly believe nobody would have been as arsed nationally if they had realised it was a champions league alternative and not taking those teams out their own domestic leagues. I’d have still been cautious over it, but UEFA are basically using the template themselves now and nobody has said a word. The different is UEFA is taking the money for themselves and one of the Oil Clubs has a big say in the rubbing.
The other difference is that the proposed ESL would have been a sinecure for life for the 'top teams', with no possibility of not participating, even if they became shite. No possibility of being 'relegated' from it so as not to have European football.

It was a bollocks idea and it's bizarre that people keep lauding it just because they are angry at the PL and PGMOL

So NOT the ESL, then?

Instead of just namechecking the ESL in every thread why don't you say what you really mean, which is that you want Liverpool to leave the PL and play in a new league that is designed to exactly match your own wishes and preferences. Everything about it will be exactly in line with your views. No clubs which you don't want therein will be allowed to join. The officiating will be just as you want it to be with no possibility that those refs might end up being just as shite, if not worse, than the current lot.

Because of course that always happens in life; things regularly turn out exactly as you want them to be...

"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline Jwils21

• Justwindy,innit,lowestspeed21 (knots)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: May 22, 2023, 12:52:17 am »
Modern footy is shite

Are you seriously suggesting the current state of football is rubbish?

You don’t like the shift from critical football analysis to clickbait vermin journalism?
You prefer the boring insight of ex players and football professionals over the musings of @ClinicalPogba from Twitter and FootyBanterSportLad from TikTok?
You think it’s a bad thing that the game is no longer about sport, and just a consumer driven clickbait generator?

Pfft.

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #64 on: May 22, 2023, 12:59:19 am »
PGMOL is a closed shop. They circle the wagons on their own.

They have no oversight.

Clubs have little to no recourse.

Clubs need more input and more clarity.

Every match should have a report sent back to each club. And the report should be made public.

Of course, the PGMOL and Howard Webb will never allow it.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline Jwils21

• Justwindy,innit,lowestspeed21 (knots)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: May 22, 2023, 01:00:45 am »
PGMOL is a closed shop. They circle the wagons on their own.

They have no oversight.

Clubs have little to no recourse.

Clubs need more input and more clarity.

Every match should have a report sent back to each club. And the report should be made public.

Of course, the PGMOL and Howard Webb will never allow it.

“banter culture” allows this too. Fans won’t join together against PGMOL because it’s more important to see their rivals suffer.

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: May 22, 2023, 01:16:36 am »
So NOT the ESL, then?

Instead of just namechecking the ESL in every thread why don't you say what you really mean, which is that you want Liverpool to leave the PL and play in a new league that is designed to exactly match your own wishes and preferences. Everything about it will be exactly in line with your views. No clubs which you don't want therein will be allowed to join. The officiating will be just as you want it to be with no possibility that those refs might end up being just as shite, if not worse, than the current lot.

Because of course that always happens in life; things regularly turn out exactly as you want them to be...

The first ESL proposal has failed, mostly because it was poorly prepared. What you are quoting above is very close to what will be the second ESL proposal, with over 80 clubs around Europe so far being contacted for their opinion and interest in the project.

The Premier League is a dying project, mostly because they failed to deal with the cheating of the oil clubs, but also because they failed to deal with the corruption in the refereeing organization. Of course, the fans in England will be the last to notice this serious drop in interest for the Premier League around Europe.

The improvement in quality of the Serie A clubs and the Bundesliga clubs, combined with the traditional popularity of Real Madrid and Barcelona, will make this new European Super League project a reality in the not so distant future, with or without the English clubs.

And it will be even more funny when English fans go to cities like Glasgow, Dublin or Cardiff to watch ESL games, because the two-horse race between Man City and Newcastle every season will be boring as fuck ...

Offline Ghost Town

• Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #67 on: May 22, 2023, 01:21:46 am »
The first ESL proposal has failed, mostly because it was poorly prepared. What you are quoting above is very close to what will be the second ESL proposal, with over 80 clubs around Europe so far being contacted for their opinion and interest in the project.

The Premier League is a dying project, mostly because they failed to deal with the cheating of the oil clubs, but also because they failed to deal with the corruption in the refereeing organization. Of course, the fans in England will be the last to notice this serious drop in interest for the Premier League around Europe.

The improvement in quality of the Serie A clubs and the Bundesliga clubs, combined with the traditional popularity of Real Madrid and Barcelona, will make this new European Super League project a reality in the not so distant future, with or without the English clubs.

And it will be even more funny when English fans go to cities like Glasgow, Dublin or Cardiff to watch ESL games, because the two-horse race between Man City and Newcastle every season will be boring as fuck ...
Would you like to buy a bridge?

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: May 22, 2023, 01:27:22 am »
Would you like to buy a bridge?

There is football outside of the Premier League. The sooner English fans understand that, the sooner they will accept the inevitable. The first time you were tricked by the likes of Gary Neville, on behalf of the real owners of the Premier League, Sky Sports. The second time you will be left behind, and the ESL will start without you, if you still listen to the likes of Gary Neville ...

EDIT: And you will very soon change your opinion, once the Qataris fail to buy Man Utd and turn their attention to Everton ...
« Last Edit: May 22, 2023, 01:33:30 am by PeterTheRed »

Offline Ghost Town

• Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #69 on: May 22, 2023, 01:54:18 am »
There is football outside of the Premier League. The sooner English fans understand that, the sooner they will accept the inevitable. The first time you were tricked by the likes of Gary Neville, on behalf of the real owners of the Premier League, Sky Sports. The second time you will be left behind, and the ESL will start without you, if you still listen to the likes of Gary Neville ...

EDIT: And you will very soon change your opinion, once the Qataris fail to buy Man Utd and turn their attention to Everton ...
Will you stop supporting Liverpool if they don't join your Angelic Super League In Which Everything Will Be Perfect?

Because if so I guess you will have to slum it down here among the dead men.

Can you be more wrong in your assumptions (there'll be a queue of people wishing to answer that!)? No one here is lionising the Premier League. We all know its faults and failings. Many of us would love to start afresh with a new league structure. Nor do any of us defend PGMOL; most of us want it fucked off and a new officiating body set up, with a very different approach to refereeing.

The difference is that many if us try to be realistic about any possible successor set ups, knowing that whatever might theoretically come next will also have faults and failings, especially if money continues to be a major factor; realism unlike the primary colour belief that everything will be perfect in the sunlit uplands of the ESL that you and a number of other here seem to vaunt.

In reality, if we want to reduce the problems and failings currently attendent to league football the best way might be to turn the other way; instead of trying to join a league that is bigger and more privileged, it might be better to aim for something smaller and less money-oriented. A return to one league for all 92 clubs, maybe. But that would mean less money, less bling, fewer big money transfer dopamine hits. No way the Transfer Thread wallahs will go for that.

But really I suspect there is no glorious solution. No successor system that will be free from the things we hate about the current set up. Football lost its innocence some time ago. All there can be now is murk of one name or another.

Offline GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: May 22, 2023, 02:32:55 am »
I voted "very upset", ignoring the "bestest comp ever bit"... there's a lot to dislike about what it's become since Abramovich was allowed to corrupt its integrity, but it's been a big part of my life for a long time, and for a while the commercial hype was worth it to have the world's best players come to our league. And the league is what it's ultimately all about for Liverpool FC, so an exodus to some new competition without its rich history would be a gut punch. As others have said, I'd rather excise the cancer than blow the brains out.

Offline Fortneef

• Palace Fan. Punka wallah?
  • Kopite
« Reply #71 on: May 22, 2023, 08:27:07 pm »
waah waah waah the referees were mean to us

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: May 22, 2023, 08:29:15 pm »

Wonderful contribution to the thread
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: May 22, 2023, 08:44:19 pm »

It's true. And we should have had a penalty against your lot a few weeks ago.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: May 22, 2023, 08:47:21 pm »
It's true. And we should have had a penalty against your lot a few weeks ago.

Their 2nd at the weekend should have been disallowed to, the ball literally bounced off the defender, didn't even attempt to play the ball.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Fortneef

• Palace Fan. Punka wallah?
  • Kopite
« Reply #75 on: May 22, 2023, 08:52:06 pm »
Wonderful contribution to the thread

Ok the longer version

“ referees are shit” - an opinion with some arguable validity

“referees are corrupt and conspiring to cheat liverpool f c” - delusional nonsense

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: May 22, 2023, 08:56:39 pm »
Ok the longer version

“ referees are shit” - an opinion with some arguable validity

“referees are corrupt and conspiring to cheat liverpool f c” - delusional nonsense

I take it you've not seen the stats that clearly show LFC get a disproportionately large number of decisions against them when compared to other clubs?

It might not be corruption, but it's more than simply referees being bad at their job.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: May 22, 2023, 09:00:18 pm »
Their 2nd at the weekend should have been disallowed to, the ball literally bounced off the defender, didn't even attempt to play the ball.

I don't think that was offside. Ward was in an onside position when the cross came in and then was in an offside position when it hit the Fulham defender (but that was irrelevant as it wasnt a Palace player that played it) so it was the right decision.

For us Van Dijk was in an offside position when Diaz headed it and the ref ruled that the ball deflected off Konsa rather than Konsa playing it, so ruled it out.

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: May 22, 2023, 09:12:31 pm »
I don't think that was offside. Ward was in an onside position when the cross came in and then was in an offside position when it hit the Fulham defender (but that was irrelevant as it wasnt a Palace player that played it) so it was the right decision.

For us Van Dijk was in an offside position when Diaz headed it and the ref ruled that the ball deflected off Konsa rather than Konsa playing it, so ruled it out.

This is from the law, its the bolded bit that is the issue. As the ball wasn't deliberately played, he's offside

A player in an offside position receiving the ball from an opponent who deliberately plays the ball, including by deliberate handball, is not considered to have gained an advantage,

It's not an offence to be stood in an offside position, so Virg wasn't doing anything wrong and as the Villa player deliberately played the ball, Virg then isn't offside when he gets the ball. PGMOL and Gallagher on SSN are claiming he didn't play the ball, so the law I qouted applies.

I had this argument with PoP (phase of play) after the Spurs game where Kane was standing in an offside position and he clarified that because Lovren attempted to play the ball, it was not offside.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: May 22, 2023, 09:14:30 pm »
This is from the law, its the bolded bit that is the issue. As the ball wasn't deliberately played, he's offside

A player in an offside position receiving the ball from an opponent who deliberately plays the ball, including by deliberate handball, is not considered to have gained an advantage,

It's not an offence to be stood in an offside position, so Virg wasn't doing anything wrong and as the Villa player deliberately played the ball, Virg then isn't offside when he gets the ball. PGMOL and Gallagher on SSN are claiming he didn't play the ball, so the law I qouted applies.

I had this argument with PoP (phase of play) after the Spurs game where Kane was standing in an offside position and he clarified that because Lovren attempted to play the ball, it was not offside.

I don't disagree with you that Van Dijk shouldn't have been called offside, it was more about the Palace one. The decision in our match was a joke.