Author Topic: Comolli: Only 1or 2 adjustments in the summer  (Read 130804 times)

Offline astowell1

• Legacy Fan
  • Klopp!
Re: Comolli: Only 1or 2 adjustments in the summer
« Reply #600 on: March 4, 2012, 05:05:56 am »
Javi Martinez and Huntelaar.  Personal opinion and all.  Would be so awesome to see.

Offline spinaltapped

• Flesh tuxedo?
  • Legacy Fan
  • Rico Suavez
« Reply #601 on: March 4, 2012, 05:09:03 am »
It's also very much possible that Lucas Moura will come to Europe this summer.That's one more gem that teams will want to chase.
I rate him higher than Neymar, to be honest.

Offline Melbred

• Kim cloned.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #602 on: March 4, 2012, 05:12:06 am »
This will be our 3rd season out of the CL.

We can hope all we want, but realistically, we're not going to be able to attract the likes of Hazard, Cavani and Huntelaar.

Suarez was an anomaly.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #603 on: March 4, 2012, 05:37:55 am »
Javi Martinez and Huntelaar.  Personal opinion and all.  Would be so awesome to see.
No way we'll get Martinez. We don't need him anyway, since we've got Lucas. We've got more important positions to strengthen.
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline The Portuguese Kopite

• 16? Yes. Naive? Maybe. Man enough to apologise when he's been a tool? Definitely. Megalolz.
  • Kopite
  • An American-Portuguese English football fan.
« Reply #604 on: March 4, 2012, 06:23:10 am »
Realistically, 1 or 2 of the right adjustments in yesterday's game and we'd have won by at least 2.

Offline Xabier Alonso Olano

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #605 on: March 4, 2012, 06:26:59 am »
Going on the first half performance, I can see why Kenny and Comolli think that only a few adjustments are needed. By time we add a couple of extra options and complete the cycle of moving on Maxi, Kuyt? Fabio, etc etc I think we will have a very good and balanced squad.

Still a young squad and most have stepped up a level for Liverpool and all have shown sporadic glimpses of the quality they have (exetremely sporadic in some case but nonetheless), I'm just hoping that Kelly-who was very good against Arsenal- Flanagan, Robinson, Henderson, Jonjo, Spearing, Carroll and even Suarez to some extent, can all really push on and correct some of the mistakes they are making: whether positionally, lack of composure, mental strength etc, so that we come back next season with a very strong well bonded, well drilled nucleus of the squad with a couple of quality additions.

Don't think we need a defender personally, even when Fabio leaves I think Robinson, Flanagan, Johnson and Kelly should be enough for when Enrique isn't available. And I'm not quite writing Carra off either.. Think some of youse are too quick to dismiss him and he deserves respect as a modern day legend of the club. Been many a time Jamie has saved us and no one will work harder to stay competing for a place in our 11; backing us to keep a coupla clean sheets over the next few games. So fuck ya.

Need a tweak in midfield, got numbers for the middle of the park no doubt and I'm hoping that with Lucas back a good partnership will form between one of the rest of the CM's. Would expect to see a new RW and I'd personally love another LW to offer something different and to challenge Downing. Be interesting to see who we identify as the wingers possibly moreso than which striker is targeted for me.

Oh and stop posting daft transfers and targets that aint never ever gonna happen. Never.
« Last Edit: March 4, 2012, 06:28:38 am by Xabier Alonso Olano »

Online peachybum

• orangeyface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #606 on: March 4, 2012, 06:31:14 am »
Just seen that statement from Comolli (and apparently Stevie was saying similar in the media?) - the club is in some trouble in terms of player assessment if that's the view inside.

We don't need an adjustment, we need an overhaul of the midfield and attacking departments. We tried one last summer, it was mainly shit. Delude yourself that average quality is higher than it is and all we need are 'adjustments', we'll be here the next year looking to the next transfer window.

Hope that statement from Comolli was just intended to dampen down expectation among the potential sellers.

I doubt we have the kind of money to carry out the kind of overhaul that'll make us a CL team. You're talking about £150m+. Our net spend over the last 3 windows was something like £35m and i'd expect the same again, even less is there's a miracle and work on a stadium starts.

Our squad is what it is. Getting value is hard. Moving players out who are on good contracts but you don't want is hard, look at AA. With the transfer market and transfer fee's looking to slow with FFS coming into effect 'adjustments' is the only realistic option. It's going to be a gradual process to strengthen us sufficiently to challenge the top 4 NOT a City/Chelsea billion dollar bonanza.
I wanna be like Jurgen Klopp

Offline LiverpoolKopKings

• "He got to Number One. Then into minus figures. Though nobody could understand why!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • Here's to win it before my expiry date!!!!
« Reply #607 on: March 4, 2012, 06:48:57 am »
Yest if Van Persie was wearing red we'd have put 4/5 past them before they got the 1st glimpse at goal. But as it is we can't score even the goal was a hangar door.

That is one major adjustment that needs major adjustments.

I hate speculating, but it could well be that someone is moved on, maybe Kuyt, that makes room for another striker. And this one better be lethal.
If you're happy and you know it, Klopp your hands
If you're happy and you know it, Klopp your hands

Offline Walshy7

• metete un palo por el culo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Its evolution baby
« Reply #608 on: March 4, 2012, 06:53:50 am »
I would take £40 million for Suarez, doesent score enough goals
'You two scousers are always yappin, im gonna teach you some serious rappin, i come from Jamaica my name is john barnes, and when i do my thing the crowd go bananas'

Offline Wish Matrix

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #609 on: March 4, 2012, 06:57:14 am »
We're signing noone.
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him (Jurgen Klopp) as the next Liverpool manager

Offline Ultimate Bromance

• The Crab
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #610 on: March 4, 2012, 07:06:42 am »
We're signing noone.

Welcome Craig ywna.
Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose.

Offline ziggyy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Wums should remain underground...
« Reply #611 on: March 4, 2012, 07:27:05 am »
Just no more over-priced players....

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline subroc

• cut at you with a clipper? Gas Face given, I beg to differ.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #613 on: March 4, 2012, 07:32:35 am »
Even if they are overpriced, if they deliver world class performance, then at least they are giving good value. A good example is C. Ronaldo - he broke the world record for transfer fee but look at how many goals he scores for them as a MF.

It's when you sign grossly overpriced players who do not perform even what they were doing last season, that you really feel sick to the stomach. It looks like Dalglish does not expect Carroll to get better anymore at least for this season - giivng him only a few minutes to play in one of the most important games left this season speaks volumes.

Offline elnino_yash

• Anny Roader

Offline Didi_ram

• Legacy Fan
  • Only 9900 kms away
« Reply #615 on: March 4, 2012, 08:18:41 am »
The biggest problem for us is that we spent 55m on Carroll and Henderson apparently for the future.They are taking ages to settle down and improve and get consistent performances in.
Whereas,when you buy 2 players for that price,you expect them to hit the ground running immediately.
That's the fear for the summer.Perhaps we will spend that much.But where is the guarantee that it isnt 15m on Sinclair and 20m on McCarthy?
I really hope that Comolli brings his french trump card into play.There are some fantastic players in that league,and we need bargains.Coates for 7m certainly looks like one,Enrique deffo is.And so is Suarez.So we have been known to get fantastic deals for foreign players.If it is 2 players for the summer,they both have to be quality(as they will in all probability replace a fantastic servant Kuyt,and a good enough Maxi).And I hope we scour Germany/France/Holland/Spain for them.

Offline Baz Smythe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #616 on: March 4, 2012, 08:45:54 am »
After having time to cool down I really fon't think we need an overhaul at all. That's what last summer was for. We now have a very capable squad of players, we just need adjustments in one or two positions.

1st - If Kenny is adamant that Gerrard is centre midfielder then that's his decision, personally I don't agree but that's not my choice. In that case then we need an attacking midfieder, someone in the mold of Silva, Modric, Nasri role that can create holes in defences, spot a pass early when a run is on etc. I don't know enough about the players who will be available in summer to guess who that might be but that's definately what we need.

2nd - Suarez should be moved to the right forward position to replace Kuyt. He is a huge upgrade to Kuyt and similar stats where he could bang them in for fun in holland but over here he's just an excellent forward and his other qualities could be more beneficial.

3rd - Striker, we need competition for Carrolls place, and this player needs to be one of two things. Either a complete forward like Torres used to be, someone who can play on his own "lone wolf" as Comolli describes that can create nightmares for defenders, play of the shoulder etc Thos would cost upwards of 25mil+ and I can 't think of any that would realistically join us and it would reduce us to putting Carroll on the bench an practically admit to everyone we were wrong or buying him, or the way I believe we need to go is for now we can just go for a poacher, someone who knows exactly where to position themselves in the six-10 yard area everytime and is very hungry An might only cost 10-15mil

I think these are the areas that are going to be dealt with in Summer. and I think we get 2 world class players we can challenge for the title if we get 2 decent, young players then we can challenge for top 4.
Follow me on twitter.

https://twitter.com/1chrissmith1

Offline steveeastend

• Learnt to play them drums
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #617 on: March 4, 2012, 09:27:19 am »
The transfer activities last summer had a big impact on the club, a lot of players have been shipped out, a lot came in. It´s only normal making some mistakes as everybody was under pressure and some decisions for sure seemed to have been pretty rushed.

If Comolli thinks he can put the squad right with only one or two adjustments then fair enough. We will see..
One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #618 on: March 4, 2012, 09:33:37 am »
The transfer activities last summer had a big impact on the club, a lot of players have been shipped out, a lot came in. It´s only normal making some mistakes as everybody was under pressure and some decisions for sure seemed to have been pretty rushed.

If Comolli thinks he can put the squad right with only one or two adjustments then fair enough. We will see..

He was referencing the number of players that came in and went out when he referenced adjustments. There is no way we need that sort of turnover again.

A couple of really good attackers and we will have a squad comparable to Spurs. All we need then is the belief and single mindedness that Man Utd have.

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #619 on: March 4, 2012, 09:33:56 am »
His shopping list need only comprise 3 lines.
A goal scorer.
A right sided player.
A CM.

Then he can go on holiday.

Offline ChristophLFC

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
« Reply #620 on: March 4, 2012, 09:38:12 am »
His shopping list need only comprise 3 lines.
A goal scorer.
A right sided player.
A CM.

Then he can go on holiday.

Offline Quintet

• Kopite
« Reply #621 on: March 4, 2012, 09:45:33 am »
After having time to cool down I really fon't think we need an overhaul at all. That's what last summer was for. We now have a very capable squad of players, we just need adjustments in one or two positions.

1st - If Kenny is adamant that Gerrard is centre midfielder then that's his decision, personally I don't agree but that's not my choice. In that case then we need an attacking midfieder, someone in the mold of Silva, Modric, Nasri role that can create holes in defences, spot a pass early when a run is on etc. I don't know enough about the players who will be available in summer to guess who that might be but that's definately what we need.

2nd - Suarez should be moved to the right forward position to replace Kuyt. He is a huge upgrade to Kuyt and similar stats where he could bang them in for fun in holland but over here he's just an excellent forward and his other qualities could be more beneficial.

3rd - Striker, we need competition for Carrolls place, and this player needs to be one of two things. Either a complete forward like Torres used to be, someone who can play on his own "lone wolf" as Comolli describes that can create nightmares for defenders, play of the shoulder etc Thos would cost upwards of 25mil+ and I can 't think of any that would realistically join us and it would reduce us to putting Carroll on the bench an practically admit to everyone we were wrong or buying him, or the way I believe we need to go is for now we can just go for a poacher, someone who knows exactly where to position themselves in the six-10 yard area everytime and is very hungry An might only cost 10-15mil

I think these are the areas that are going to be dealt with in Summer. and I think we get 2 world class players we can challenge for the title if we get 2 decent, young players then we can challenge for top 4.

Totally agree with your whole post but specially the bit in bold. When will everyone learn suarez is not a central striker. Hes better running at players not playing with his back to goal. Add a winger forward to complement suarez on the otherside with a better midfielder than adam and I think we would get 4th. We're not far that far away

Offline JamesLS7

• Kopite
  • Rafa Is My Hero.
« Reply #622 on: March 4, 2012, 09:46:49 am »
Pessimistically, I would assume this summer we will have 30M plus whatever we have in player sales.

Fuck it all on Cavani. He is the best striker on earth IMO, get him and thats guaranteed goals, and the other benefit of signing Cavani is it would bring out the best is Luis.

If he isnt top of the list, I will be gutted. I'd have him above any other semi-realistic target. Because not only will he be awesome, he would make Luis even better
When discussing Dirk Kuyt's work rate :

I don't think he works as hard as some people claim. No harder, for example, than Stewart Downing.

18 League Titles and 5 European Cups. Get counting.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #623 on: March 4, 2012, 09:48:34 am »
No way we'll get Martinez. We don't need him anyway, since we've got Lucas. We've got more important positions to strengthen.

Have you not seen our midfield without Lucas? Of course we need a midfielder of Javi Martinez's quality. Besides why couldn't they play in midfield together?

Offline JamesLS7

• Kopite
  • Rafa Is My Hero.
« Reply #624 on: March 4, 2012, 09:50:47 am »
Have you not seen our midfield without Lucas? Of course we need a midfielder of Javi Martinez's quality. Besides why couldn't they play in midfield together?

That would be the dream.

Lucas - Martinez

Gerrard

That would be scary, and the main benefit would be you could say, listen Stevie, you have two fucking monsters sittng behind you, I do not want to see you in your own half, get up top, and fucking destroy the other team.

I don't think he works as hard as some people claim. No harder, for example, than Stewart Downing.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #625 on: March 4, 2012, 09:51:38 am »
We need a striker (if not two), two wingers for left and right side, a left back and a DM.

Offline Quintet

• Kopite
« Reply #626 on: March 4, 2012, 09:53:19 am »
Pessimistically, I would assume this summer we will have 30M plus whatever we have in player sales.

Fuck it all on Cavani. He is the best striker on earth IMO, get him and thats guaranteed goals, and the other benefit of signing Cavani is it would bring out the best is Luis.

If he isnt top of the list, I will be gutted. I'd have him above any other semi-realistic target. Because not only will he be awesome, he would make Luis even better

to be fair we had spent around £50m net before raul was sold, and this season we are back in Europe with a better shirt deal. But I think we would have sold less due to the fact there must have been a boom when the yanks left and kenny came back.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #627 on: March 4, 2012, 09:53:34 am »
That would be the dream.

Lucas - Martinez

Gerrard

That would be scary, and the main benefit would be you could say, listen Stevie, you have two fucking monsters sittng behind you, I do not want to see you in your own half, get up top, and fucking destroy the other team.

Indeed. I'm afraid the ship might have sailed in regards to Martinez though. Rafa should've signed him years ago when he wasn't so expensive. Yann M'Villa and Moussa Sissoko could be good options though.

Offline Quintet

• Kopite
« Reply #628 on: March 4, 2012, 09:54:11 am »
We need a striker (if not two), two wingers for left and right side, a left back and a DM.

Left back?

Offline JamesLS7

• Kopite
  • Rafa Is My Hero.
« Reply #629 on: March 4, 2012, 09:54:15 am »

I would say one striker, as Luis can play as a great support striker.

Again I would say on winger as Downing, Bellamy, Sterling, Kuyt and Maxi can play there.

Left back we have Jose, with Robbo as back up.

And Lucas will be back for DM next season, aand spearing is a decent back up.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #630 on: March 4, 2012, 09:55:15 am »

Why left back? Think we're pretty much covered with Enrique and Robinson to be honest.

Offline JamesLS7

• Kopite
  • Rafa Is My Hero.
« Reply #631 on: March 4, 2012, 09:55:47 am »
Indeed. I'm afraid the ship might have sailed in regards to Martinez though. Rafa should've signed him years ago when he wasn't so expensive. Yann M'Villa and Moussa Sissoko could be good options though.

Knowing Rafa he probably tried and got the rug pulled from under him.

M'Villa would be great. I saw a quote in January from his agent saying he was available for, I think it was, 22M Euros.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #632 on: March 4, 2012, 09:56:19 am »

And Lucas will be back for DM next season, aand spearing is a decent back up.

We need better then decent back-ups if we want to progress mate.

Offline Quintet

• Kopite
« Reply #633 on: March 4, 2012, 09:56:50 am »
The majority on here seem to realise how obvious it is that we need 3 players and quality players in the following positions

1. CM

2. Winger

3. Striker

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #634 on: March 4, 2012, 09:57:09 am »
Knowing Rafa he probably tried and got the rug pulled from under him.

M'Villa would be great. I saw a quote in January from his agent saying he was available for, I think it was, 22M Euros.

I think he opted for Aquilani instead mate.  :-[

Offline Quintet

• Kopite
« Reply #635 on: March 4, 2012, 09:57:44 am »

I think spearing is a decent back up

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #636 on: March 4, 2012, 09:58:04 am »
The majority on here seem to realise how obvious it is that we need 3 players and quality players in the following positions

1. CM

2. Winger

3. Striker

Deffo our priority them.

Offline JamesLS7

• Kopite
  • Rafa Is My Hero.
« Reply #637 on: March 4, 2012, 09:58:10 am »

Yeah but Lucas is not going to be out for 6 months again, least I hope he isnt.

Where are you going to find a top class back up who is happy to sit on the bench all season ?

Offline JamesLS7

• Kopite
  • Rafa Is My Hero.
« Reply #638 on: March 4, 2012, 09:59:12 am »
I think he opted for Aquilani instead mate.  :-[

Wasnt he forced to buy from Pompy and Roma mate which is why we got Johnson and Aqua as both clubs owedd us money.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #639 on: March 4, 2012, 09:59:24 am »
I think spearing is a decent back up

Like I said, we need BETTER then decent if we want to reach the top again. There should be no room for sentimentality at the club. It needs to keep moving foward.