Author Topic: Roy Hodgson tells Glen Johnson to get his act together  (Read 129838 times)

Offline jDJ

• Legacy Fan
Re: Roy Hodgson tells Glen Johnson to get his act together
« Reply #440 on: November 13, 2010, 09:23:38 am »
In general, criticising your players in public is a sign of desperation, a last resort when all else has failed in your attempts to motivate them.  The problem here is the whole team has been playing poorly this season, Johnson has been poor but significantly worse than anyone else?  I'm not so sure about that.  Not to mention the fact he's been out injured and is injured currently so can't even react on the pitch to his manager's comments. 

The overarching issue which can't be ignored is how Hodgson's tactical approach simply doesn't benefit attacking full backs - Do you think Alves or Evra would be flourishing in this team at the moment?  Johnson would have had a field day against Blackburn because the team was on the front foot.  Watch the video MilanKakaBaros posted in this thread of the MOTD montage of Johnson against Stoke last season, look how far forward he is in most of the clips - our full backs barely get over the halfway line under Hodgson away from home and that's not even an exaggeration.

I detest the route we're going down with Hodgson, absolutely hate it, I want a Liverpool team to have a modern tactical approach, play some variation on a 4-2-3-1 with technical midfielders and athletic attacking full backs, always on the front foot, pressing the ball high up the pitch but the reality is if we are going to persist with achieving Hodgson's vision we might as well sell Johnson for his benefit and ours, buy a more defensive solid full back and spend the cash on a second striker so we can play a genuine 4-4-2.  We're a mish-mash of different styles the classic square pegs in round holes.

For Hodgson to criticise publicly a player who's not been our worst player, who's been out injured much of the time, who's currently out injured so can't even react and who's poor form is in no small part down to his own tactical approach is frankly typical Hodgson - he's completely out of his depth.

Offline subroc

• cut at you with a clipper? Gas Face given, I beg to differ.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #441 on: November 13, 2010, 09:26:20 am »
Yeah, sheep mentality really. Headfrying, only reason I'm still here are to read the balanced opinions of a dozen or so individuals.

80% or so of us - including you - agree that Hodgson is not up to it, and that he has to go ASAP for the sake of the team. That does not make us all sheeple - it just means that the fans have come to an agreement or consensus on this point.

This forum for the sake of sharing of views and opinions, and if 80% of so of the forum members agree on something, it is natural that most of the posts will have some similarity with each other.

Also, everybody has a right to post his view or opinion without bothering to scroll through the entire thread to make sure his opinon has not been repeated by someone else.

Lastly, if NESV were to take a sounding from the forum concerning what most Liverpool fans think, will they think that only 12 people think that Hodgson is messing up if only 12 balanced post-ers post? Isn't it better that they see that the vast majority of the forum members think that it is high time, no, past time for Hodgson to be given his P45?

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #442 on: November 13, 2010, 09:26:41 am »
If only he would say the same to Joe Cole and perhaps behind closed doors then it would be peachy.
If only he said the same thing to Carragher after Soto and Skrtel had two amazing games in a row at CB.

Dont see much wrong with what he said, Johnson by all accounts needs a boot up his arse, perhaps it should have been done indoors so to speak.

Offline liverpooll

• I am right, you are wrong, despite all the evidence to the contrary. Just does not get it. Also does not get that he does not get it.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #443 on: November 13, 2010, 09:27:24 am »
I do not see anything wrong with that.

Rafa also said it tons of times to Cisse, Babel, Crouch

Offline megabomberman

• Kopite
  • YNWA to all who wear the red.
« Reply #444 on: November 13, 2010, 09:27:39 am »
Glen is on huge money, cost huge money and is playing like a drain... He is not immune from criticism and doesn't need cuddling.

He needs a kick up the arse...
I loved it when Rafa wasn't afraid to drop players at the drop of a hat and was as cold as ice,
and I like it that Roy is giving Glen an ultimatum, there was nothing harsh or cutting in there, it was very carefully worded, Glen is not performing like the no.1 England fullback and everyone knows it, so improve or feck off with your obscene costs if you can't out do a 20 year old England U-21. It's simple...

Same people on here whinging again, it's tiresome. These are outrageously highly paid professionals. I get the head bollocked off me at work when I'm not performing and Glen's performance's have been abysmal far inferior to the extremely average Paul Konchesky who cost a quarter what Glen did (and is still bad Value!)

Get a grip.

Offline subroc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #445 on: November 13, 2010, 09:29:22 am »
Read what he said. He's basically having a go at a player because he doesn't fit into the mindset of the manager using tactics from the 1980s. Johnson is actually a very good modern fullback. If you put him back in time he'd look shite at rightback then.

Hodgson has a mindset. Fair enough. Can't change that (He's publically stated that he won't, in fact). But if your tactics include making class players look shite - don't blame the player. Look at your tactics.

Apart from anything else - given he's had a go at Johnson -if he does leave - and again - who could blame him? He'll have knocked millions off his price. And who will he replace him with? Yes. That's right. The Rightback version of Konchesky (Shudder).

A competent manager fits his tactics and formation to the players at his disposal. He does not force squares into round holes in order to fit his pre-conceived system - not unless he has 200 million GBP to start a fresh clean slate.

Offline fatlip13

• Anny Roader
« Reply #446 on: November 13, 2010, 09:29:31 am »
hodgson i hope has given johnson a talking to in private before making this public. i would like to think this was a last resort. i would say rafa had a talk about his defending. he also imo gets caught on the ball and plays some really risky passes. going forward he is very good but even the best teams have to cope with pressure.

i hope cole has had a chat with roy too, he has been awful.
poulsen looks like he would need a season or 10 to acclimatise to the premier league
konchesky is what he always has been, average at best

i don't like any club business being made public that is not positive and was 1 of the reasons i understood rafa getting the sack/mutual consent because he had fought with the owners, directors and the press and had a big target on his back. this club always did business quietly and it had become a circus.

i don't believe rafa was wrong in all his battles but there are some that you can't win and cause you more problems than they cure. if he was still here with these results so far there would have been bedlam in the press looking his head.

johnson should be the best RB in our league but is not for reasons he needs to sort out. hopefully this being made public will concentrate his mind although there is the chance he will go the other way

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #447 on: November 13, 2010, 09:29:47 am »
Glen is on huge money, cost huge money and is playing like a drain... He is not immune from criticism and doesn't need cuddling.......

Get a grip.

True

Personally think Roy is a fanny but he's done very little wrong here imho. Glen needs to buck up his ideas

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #448 on: November 13, 2010, 09:30:12 am »
Glen's performance's have been abysmal far inferior to the extremely average Paul Konchesky who cost a quarter what Glen did (and is still bad Value!)

Glen has been worse than Konchesky? Our left side is where most of our goals are conceded from ain't it?

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #449 on: November 13, 2010, 09:30:16 am »
Johnson's season reached it's low with his tackle on that Blackpool player for the most blatent pen ever in front of the kop.  Sorry, that sounds sensationalist, but he's been dire this term.  Usually you can overlook his defensive weakneses due to his attacking abilities, but the latter has been absent this term.

Also, your comment re using this thread to attack a previous manager could also be swung around.  It's a bit poor to use a comment from todays manager which may have been intended to 'motivate' said player as yet another reason to crucify him.

What I said was hardly 'crucifying' him. And it's relevant as it's about Hodgson's comments, not really anything to do with Rafa so it can't really be swung around. Get it? Rafa' s part of our history whilst Roy is the here and now. And the point is comments like that should be kept in house because it doesn't benefit anyone. Roy should know better given his 35 years in management and it's not just this is it? He's made quite a few comments about other players which don't need saying either because it caters to their ego's or may be a shot to thier confidence. Not to mention comments about the fans, ex members of staff, contradictions etc. It's not 'crucifying' him is it?

And Hodgson talking about players not playing well is a bit rich given his managerial performance so far.

As for Johnson's form, it's poor but the reason we've hardly seen him in the opposition's half might be something to do with the manager's tactics don't you think?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 09:37:46 am by Hazell »
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline myrlas

• Powered by YaMH (Yet another Mister Happy)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Twitter: @myrlas
« Reply #450 on: November 13, 2010, 09:30:33 am »
For the love of god...has he ever kept his gob shut?

What a poor excuse of a man
"Football is simple, you're either on time, or you're too late. If you're too late then you have to leave earlier." Johan Cruyff

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #451 on: November 13, 2010, 09:33:01 am »
er no. I don't rate Johnson - Im not getting carried away about it but think if we got a good price or a really good player exchange we should go for it

You're posts in this thread suggest you're getting carried away.

Offline megabomberman

• Kopite
« Reply #452 on: November 13, 2010, 09:33:09 am »
Glen has been worse than Konchesky? Our left side is where most of our goals are conceded from ain't it?

At least try and be objective...

Address the main points of my post and you may put forward a compelling argument.

The basic tennant is Glen has been poor, I believe poorer than Konchesky.... And if not that poor, still not worth what he's costing and the sunk cost already committed.

Offline hide5seek

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in THE 5 EUROPEAN CUPS
« Reply #453 on: November 13, 2010, 09:35:27 am »
Where are all these newbie Roy apologists coming from all of a sudden? Does Roy come from a big family or something?

Nothing against new members, just think it's odd most of them have glowing things to say about our most mediocre manager and seem to be willing to give him a pass on everything. 

Yeah I've noticed this too.

Offline jDJ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #454 on: November 13, 2010, 09:36:10 am »
I think people are missing the point - Johnson is an average defender but a great, and i do mean great, attacking full back.  He is not being allowed to attack, all he is doing is defending, the weaker part of his game.

Have any of our full backs attacked well this season - I can barely think of a single great attacking performance from any of our full backs against any opposition - that tells me there's a tactical issue here.

Offline Notorious IT

• Gilt complex.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Alcoholic
« Reply #455 on: November 13, 2010, 09:36:12 am »
This has been needed for months! Some of the players have been a disgrace this season, and some of you need to see that! This guy is an England international and is beeing paid upwards of 80k a bloody week! He needs a kick up the arse.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #456 on: November 13, 2010, 09:37:22 am »
What I said was hardly 'crucifying' him. And it's relevant as it's about Hodgson's comments, not really anything to do with Rafa. Get it? And the point is comments like that should be kept in house because it doesn't benefit anyone.

As for Johnson's form, it's poor but the reason we've hardly seen him in the opposition's half might be something to do with the manager's tactics don't you think?

I merely pointed out the hypocrisy when both previous managers (Houllier as well as Rafa) have publicly criticised a player's form.  I'm not here defending Hodgson's tactics or whatever - think they're poor myself, and never wanted him appointed in the first place.  But it seems Roy only has to breathe and a thread appears on this forum to attack him.

Offline jDJ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #457 on: November 13, 2010, 09:38:07 am »
This has been needed for months! Some of the players have been a disgrace this season, and some of you need to see that! This guy is an England international and is beeing paid upwards of 80k a bloody week! He needs a kick up the arse.

shall we get big sam in, stick a rocket up em.  That's all we need.

Offline andy in warrington

• ...wanking in the work bogs
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #458 on: November 13, 2010, 09:38:13 am »
All this Hodgson bashing is a joke. If he scratches his nose it's a sign that he's out of his depth.  Benitez scratches his arsehole and people think he's a genius.
It's getting silly.

Offline moremoneyor?

• Boys Pen
« Reply #459 on: November 13, 2010, 09:39:04 am »
Ignoring the tabloid style headline, it's no different to what many people on here have said about Johnson. He can't win really can he?
Point is this kind of thing should be discussed behind closed doors between player and manager.Hodgson is becoming an embarassing media whore! not what LFC mangers should be about

Offline megabomberman

• Kopite
« Reply #460 on: November 13, 2010, 09:40:00 am »
Yeah I've noticed this too.

No way in the world do I want Hodgson to be Liverpool coach,
but being newer generally means someone isn't as indoctrinated into the group think that pervades this forum,
a group think that leads to savage and relentless attacks on Roy for every little or large things he does, including 12 pages arguing whether he's clueless or not for criticising a player who is fast approaching right off...

A player who we've pumped massive sums of money into and who is currently being outperformed by a 20 year old.

The moving of the goal posts to suit any agenda on here is palpable.

I completely agreed with Rafa's percieved sterile approach as many others did on here and laughed at the Redknapps and Andy Grays of this world waffling on about the arm around the shoulder.

All of a sudden it seems that the Rawk community have turned full circle and are in favour of mollycoddling all these millionaires who were also supposedly engaged in political campaigning to sack the previous coach.

Which way do ye want it? It's ridiculous.

Online Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #461 on: November 13, 2010, 09:40:48 am »
I merely pointed out the hypocrisy when both previous managers (Houllier as well as Rafa) have publicly criticised a player's form.  I'm not here defending Hodgson's tactics or whatever - think they're poor myself, and never wanted him appointed in the first place.  But it seems Roy only has to breathe and a thread appears on this forum to attack him.

Roy didn't breathe did he? I know I'm being literal but I don't like criticing the manager yet I don't think a comment like this was needed.

As for Rafa specifically, he hardly ever criticised or went out of his way to praise a player in public. I can only recall Gerrard vs Villa and even then it wasn't as bad as what Hodgson has said. How many times did he use the word 'we' instead of singling out a particular player? Loads because he believed in collective responsibility which is something I agree with. It doesn't look like Roy does.

Offline jaffod

• Living a double life as Billy Bunter after midnight. Has until July 3rd to figure out what from his womans clothing range to wear.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Common beermat and towel thief.
« Reply #462 on: November 13, 2010, 09:42:08 am »
I don't have much time for Hodgson or Johnson to be honest, don't think either of them are up to the job. Hodgson seems to be systematically working his way around the squad and laying into certain individuals in an effort to deflect the blame for what has been an abysmal season so far. This week it is Johnson's turn.
 However, Johnson needs a good kick up the arse. Whether it should be done in public or behind closed doors is open to question. Some people will say it should be done in private while others will argue doing it in public will at least show the manager is identifying problems and dealing with them.
 the way I see it is ultimately both Johnson and Hodgson both have 2 months to get their acts together or they will BOTH be shipped out.

Online Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #463 on: November 13, 2010, 09:44:37 am »
All this Hodgson bashing is a joke. If he scratches his nose it's a sign that he's out of his depth.  Benitez scratches his arsehole and people think he's a genius.
It's getting silly.

Hmmm... that's not exactly true is it?

Offline subroc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #464 on: November 13, 2010, 09:45:05 am »
Some are arguing that Johnson deserves to be caned in public since he has been doing such a bad job. Maybe Roy spoke to him in private, but it did not take, so he had to thrash him publicly.

I looked it up on the net, and found that since 3rd October (almost 2 1/2 months ago), Glen Johnson has only played one game - i.e. the 4th November UEFA Cup match.

http://www.soccerbase.com/players_details.sd?playerid=32697

Johnson has been suffering from agroin injury and has not recovered. He won't take part in the next game.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2010/11/12/liverpool-duo-joe-cole-and-glen-johnson-ruled-out-of-trip-to-stoke-100252-27649687/

I can understand it if Johnson has been playing the last few games, and Hodgson has talked to him, but it did not work, so he has to bawl him out publicly to get to play better.

But why now, out of the blue, and completely without any recent bad match to justify it? Why noq - especially after the last speculative press article claiming that Reina is on the way out, was just quelled yesterday? Today, the Press have predictably gone to town with Hodgson's comments and started a new furore over Johnson.

Why now? Is Hodgson angling to position Johnsn for the exit ramp and trying to prepare the way with his comments?

Offline Victor

• Legacy Fan
  • Daa Dah Daaaaaaaaaa
« Reply #465 on: November 13, 2010, 09:45:17 am »
Anyone else think this might be more to do with motivating Kelly to feel he could keep the shirt ? he's the one playing tonight and Roy is basically saying Johnston won't be gauranteed his place back even when he regains fitness  ... I'm no fan of Roy but it wouldn't be unlike the media to focus on the negative comments from a club manager about an Engerlund player while putting a slightly different twist on what was said  would it ?
"There are two great teams in Liverpool.... Liverpool and Liverpool Reserves"

Offline xerxes1

• Arch Revisionist. Lord Marmaduke of Bunkerton. Has no agenda other than the truth. Descendant of Prince John.
  • Legacy Fan
  • L-I-V,E-R-P-,double OL, Liverpool FC.
« Reply #466 on: November 13, 2010, 09:46:14 am »
I think people are missing the point - Johnson is an average defender but a great, and i do mean great, attacking full back.  He is not being allowed to attack, all he is doing is defending, the weaker part of his game.

Have any of our full backs attacked well this season - I can barely think of a single great attacking performance from any of our full backs against any opposition - that tells me there's a tactical issue here.

I agree. Those criticising Roy on this are well off the mark, try listening to what fans are saying about Johnson's defending in the stands and the pubs!

It appears as though his natural position is not full back, but he is a very good footballer - over to Roy.

"I've never felt being in a minority of one was in any way an indication that I might be in error"

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #467 on: November 13, 2010, 09:48:12 am »
Roy didn't breathe did he? I know I'm being literal but I don't like criticing the manager yet I don't think a comment like this was needed.

As for Rafa specifically, he hardly ever criticised or went out of his way to praise a player in public. I can only recall Gerrard vs Villa and even then it wasn't as bad as what Hodgson has said. How many times did he use the word 'we' instead of singling out a particular player? Loads because he believed in collective responsibility which is something I agree with. It doesn't look like Roy does.

Well who knows what's going on re Johnson behind closed doors.  He has been poor when he's played earlier this season.  Maybe Roy believes this will work.  Maybe it won't.  And maybe he's made a poor judgement call.

Don't think the comment he made warrants 12 pages - it's all getting a bit tedious reading the various threads bashing the manager.  Sure, bash him re tactics etc.  Arguably deserved.  But it appears he gets bashed for everything and anything on here.

Offline subroc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #468 on: November 13, 2010, 09:48:57 am »
I agree. Those criticising Roy on this are well off the mark, try listening to what fans are saying about Johnson's defending in the stands and the pubs!

It appears as though his natural position is not full back, but he is a very good footballer - over to Roy.

If that is the case, don't you think that it is up to Hodgson as the manager to play to his players' strengths and not to their weaknesses?

Online Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #469 on: November 13, 2010, 09:49:38 am »

Come on Xerxes, there's a huge difference between what a manager says and what the fans say. Otherwise you could defend Roy joining in with the booing of Poulsen against Napoli (if he did that).

Pheeny

« Reply #470 on: November 13, 2010, 09:50:13 am »

Don't think the comment he made warrants 12 pages - it's all getting a bit tedious reading the various threads bashing the manager.  Sure, bash him re tactics etc.  Arguably deserved.  But it appears he gets bashed for everything and anything on here.
and it's getting boring.

Offline jDJ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #471 on: November 13, 2010, 09:51:18 am »
Some are arguing that Johnson deserves to be caned in public since he has been doing such a bad job. Maybe Roy spoke to him in private, but it did not take, so he had to thrash him publicly.

I looked it up on the net, and found that since 3rd October (almost 2 1/2 months ago), Glen Johnson has only played one game - i.e. the 4th November UEFA Cup match.

http://www.soccerbase.com/players_details.sd?playerid=32697

Johnson has been suffering from agroin injury and has not recovered. He won't take part in the next game.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2010/11/12/liverpool-duo-joe-cole-and-glen-johnson-ruled-out-of-trip-to-stoke-100252-27649687/

I can understand it if Johnson has been playing the last few games, and Hodgson has talked to him, but it did not work, so he has to bawl him out publicly to get to play better.

But why now, out of the blue, and completely without any recent bad match to justify it? Why noq - especially after the last speculative press article claiming that Reina is on the way out, was just quelled yesterday? Today, the Press have predictably gone to town with Hodgson's comments and started a new furore over Johnson.

Why now? Is Hodgson angling to position Johnsn for the exit ramp and trying to prepare the way with his comments?

If you're seeking some grand plan - there isn't one.  They were illconceived, thoughtless comments, Hodgson just chatting away at his press conference. that's why I don't understand the comparisons with Rafa or Houllier.  Theirs were considered, well intentioned and in Houllier's case agonised over statements.

People can say this is being used as an excuse to attack Hodgson, for me, it's just highlights more weaknesses in the man and exemplifies, yet again, how woefully out his depth he is.

Offline Spectre

• One Day In the Life of Ivan Sphincterovich. Inmate 00013 of RAWK Gulag 25
  • Boys Pen
  • AngrY
« Reply #472 on: November 13, 2010, 09:51:44 am »
GENERAL LUCAS LEIVA , MIDFIELD REGIMENT.

Racism is the enemy of freedom, and deserves to be met head-on and stamped out
NO Race , NO Ethnicity , NO Religion. Only Human.

Offline vicgill

• "do the simple things but do them well"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Football is the simplest game in the world son,
« Reply #473 on: November 13, 2010, 09:51:51 am »
Whatever happened to keeping things behind closed doors ?

Right or wrong this should be kept between player and manager. He just can't help himself.

That is one of the more bizarre things about this.  Saying it when he is out injured/ on the brink of return from injury.  Not really fair in my eyes

Roy's criticism of Johnson brought this bit about Bill Shankly back to mind, perhaps a lesson for Roy. I have taken this from "My life" story, ok for those who are interested here it is.

"It was about this time that Barbara, Karen and I were at her parent’s house for the proverbial Sunday lunch, we had finished eating and Barbara and Nessie were in the kitchen doing the dishes, Karen was asleep in her pram, I was having coffee and Mr. Shankly was having his herb tea, Yuk!! Terrible smell, a bit like fish, anyway I asked him about the previous day’s game at Anfield, I think it was Arsenal we played but I’m not 100% sure and Liverpool were cruising to a win when Tommy Lawrence let in a really stupid goal, which put Arsenal ? back in the game, I know we finished the game as winners and I asked him about this particular incident, he replied “Aye son, if I’d had a snipers rifle I would have shot Tommy there and then” just then the phone rang and Mr.Shankly answered it, the person on the other end of the line was a guy called Colin, a reporter for one of the daily national newspapers and from their conversation I assumed that “Colin” had broached the very same subject that we had just been talking about, because Mr. Shankly answered “Nah Nah Colin son, he’s the finest Goalkeeper in the worrrrld”.

"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and making yourself available to receive a pass, it is really that simple"

"Friend, mourn not, though he premature departs, his wisdom marches on within our hearts"

RIP Ray Osbourne, comrade, epic swindler, and Internet Terrorist Extraordinaire.

Online Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #474 on: November 13, 2010, 09:54:15 am »
Well who knows what's going on re Johnson behind closed doors.  He has been poor when he's played earlier this season.  Maybe Roy believes this will work.  Maybe it won't.  And maybe he's made a poor judgement call.

I wouldn't want to speculate on what has or hasn't gone on behind closed doors as you or I don't know.

Like I said, I don't like jumping on the manager's back but what's really annoying is that Hodgson keeps commenting on things that some don't believe he should. If this was the first time, fair enough but he keeps doing it. Anyway, it comes down to you not think it was a bad or that bad a comment and me thinking he shouldn't have said it because it'll knock Glen's confidence (amongst other things). So let's just disagree on that.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #475 on: November 13, 2010, 09:56:15 am »
I wouldn't want to speculate on what has or hasn't gone on behind closed doors as you or I don't know.

Like I said, I don't like jumping on the manager's back but what's really annoying is that Hodgson keeps commenting on things that some don't believe he should. If this was the first time, fair enough but he keeps doing it. Anyway, it comes down to you not think it was a bad or that bad a comment and me thinking he shouldn't have said it because it'll knock Glen's confidence (amongst other things). So let's just disagree on that.

OK

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #476 on: November 13, 2010, 09:56:32 am »
because Mr. Shankly answered “Nah Nah Colin son, he’s the finest Goalkeeper in the worrrrld”.

Well found vicgill, really appropriate.

Offline Hibsred

• Anny Roader
  • The Manager who signs the ball twice
« Reply #477 on: November 13, 2010, 09:57:31 am »
Roy bashing is soooo October. Get with it people.

Offline nocturnalvin

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice For The 96.
« Reply #478 on: November 13, 2010, 09:58:51 am »
Vicgill have summed it all up in one story.

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #479 on: November 13, 2010, 09:59:19 am »
No problems with telling him that he's not been up to standard behind closed doors but what can be achieved by publicly saying it?

Yeah I agree with that..........however, maybe we're over reacting again and every week managers will say something identical as a matter of fact in a press conference. I'd like to hear how it was said and compare other interviews.
he’s not performed — very often, at least — to the level I’d expect of him.