Author Topic: Arsenal  (Read 5740146 times)

Offline Lawnmowerman

• Got married to Pique in April. Shakira isn't happy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: General Arsenal Thread
« Reply #40720 on: December 14, 2016, 12:45:53 pm »
DT from ArsenalFanTV is absolutely seething
''I told people yeah, on social media yeah, Dont count your chickens on today yeah....'
Interviewer: ''You made a predicition today, 3-1 Arsenal you said....'' ;D

People don't half take themselves seriously on these fan yokes anyway. Bunch of rock stars

Offline MagicHat

• Seeks SingleBunny For Professional Relationship And Cosy Nights In
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #40721 on: December 14, 2016, 01:52:36 pm »
Thought Arsenal were a bit guilty of not going for the jugular when they went 1-0 up and were playing well. Let Everton back into it and they grew from there - much like ourselves on Sunday.

Again, no team will collect every available point between now and May, so they just need to bounce back and show it was a one off game. City will be difficult but there are points available there given their recent form, then they have two winnable home games over Christmas.

I think that has crept into our game of late. When playing a team who is playing badly (and for most of the first half, Everton were passive, hapless in the tackle, couldn't keep the ball at all) we take the lead and relax. We slow possession, we don't push for the winner and then other team either scores or has good spell, against Sunderland and West Ham (for examples) we were able to come back strongly and wipe the floor with them in the end. This time, we couldn't get our game going once Everton took control or really threaten them on the break so pressure built and built on our defence.

Not devastated by the loss, a defeat was going to happen, we will work on a few things I imagine.

Not sure Xhaka is that good to be honest. He's not a bad player, but not the kind of player who's going to really elevate a team to the next level in my opinion.

First season is a new league but been a bit disappointing. I expect he will adjust and be more influential but he needs to keep his head

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #40722 on: December 14, 2016, 02:19:01 pm »
I've never seen a more blatant penalty not given this season than the one on Alexis in the last minute. It was stonewall as it gets. Though it does require a lot of bottle to give it to be honest.

Offline Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #40723 on: December 14, 2016, 02:27:42 pm »
I've never seen a more blatant penalty not given this season than the one on Alexis in the last minute. It was stonewall as it gets. Though it does require a lot of bottle to give it to be honest.

The angle they showed in the studio showed the Everton player getting the ball first, it looked stonewall in realtime though.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #40724 on: December 14, 2016, 02:39:12 pm »

I just want to say something about all this, and feel free to take this how you like... not you GRF, but anyone.

I've never taken much joy from a rival who drops points... not in December anyway. Privately I do... privately I take much joy. But I don't enjoy reading about others pain, so I don't troll their videos and forums looking for a laugh. Having said that, I have occassionally seen some Man Unted videos earlier that have been linked on here (tho I seem to close them down after a minute), and enjoyed them. My favourite vid of this year was the post awards show that TAW won from our Man Unted friends... that was beautiful. I mean that was fucking beautiful.

I've a good mate of mine who's a Gooner, a mate I love, and he texted me with 'Oh I do like to be beside the seaside' after the Bournemouth game, which just served to help get over it. In reply... after tonight... he receives absolutely nothing. Even if we win v M'boro tomorrow... he'll get nothing. I love the fact that saying nothing says everything.

Resisting the urge to crow is my weapon of choice.

Yes, schadenfreude is a double edged sword.

Offline ElCapo

• Legacy Fan
  • Bayern Munich - Mia San Mia
« Reply #40725 on: December 14, 2016, 02:51:22 pm »
Have to say Mustafi had been a very important addition to Arsenal's defense.  How long is he out?

Offline DivisiveNewSigning

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #40726 on: December 14, 2016, 02:58:05 pm »
Have to say Mustafi had been a very important addition to Arsenal's defense.  How long is he out?

Yeah I'm a fan of his.
I believe he's back "in the New Year", so take from that what you will.

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #40727 on: December 14, 2016, 02:59:04 pm »

We were a bit lucky with decisions earlier on this season, the last few weeks we've been a bit unlucky, we are on the receiving end of debatable decisions which is fine as it was always going to even itself out over the course of the season.

1 thing I will add is that was our 4th game in 10 days, & it looked like it showed last night. Not an excuse for the level of performance but just now there's always the question of how much not having European Football benefits teams, which you would imagine not being the case next season with the more familiar faces taken those spots next season.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 03:01:22 pm by ScottishGoon »

Offline Ashburton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #40728 on: December 14, 2016, 04:52:44 pm »
We were a bit lucky with decisions earlier on this season, the last few weeks we've been a bit unlucky, we are on the receiving end of debatable decisions which is fine as it was always going to even itself out over the course of the season.

1 thing I will add is that was our 4th game in 10 days, & it looked like it showed last night. Not an excuse for the level of performance but just now there's always the question of how much not having European Football benefits teams, which you would imagine not being the case next season with the more familiar faces taken those spots next season.

Exactly, have been riding on luck lately with a superb conversion rate of chances.  Everton were in poor form, dodgy defence, and fair play to them, rode their luck, last min penalty shout and a double clear off the line to take three points.

With regards to four games in 10 days... The point of having a big squad is using them.  Xhaka had a subdued game and Coquelin looked tired next to him, Gabriel unfortunately is not half the player Mustafi is, both in his ability to proactively read the game, composure and leadership ability.  I'd have preferred Rob Holding, his composure is key more useful to the way the team builds from the back, and he actually speaks English... 

Everyone is always correct in hindsight, of course, but why not bring Perez on earlier than the 88th and push for the win, perhaps switch out the knackered Ozil for a swashbuckling and hard running Ramsey to increase the pressure on the opponent's CBs? Sadly, ended up with like-for-like swaps and no change to the shape of the team other than Giroud's addition pushing Sanchez to the wing.

On a side not, have been impressed with Chamberlain as of late, seems to have acquired a bit of a cutting edge, even if his finishing needs work.  It is harsh Wenger insists on bringing him off in the 70th minute every game he plays (literally, I think he's finished one game this season where he wasn't the first sub).  The lad needs to be kept on, he's already in his most productive season, and slapping his confidence every game taking him off first can't help with that.

Online PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #40729 on: December 14, 2016, 09:55:36 pm »
Exactly, have been riding on luck lately with a superb conversion rate of chances.  Everton were in poor form, dodgy defence, and fair play to them, rode their luck, last min penalty shout and a double clear off the line to take three points.

With regards to four games in 10 days... The point of having a big squad is using them.  Xhaka had a subdued game and Coquelin looked tired next to him, Gabriel unfortunately is not half the player Mustafi is, both in his ability to proactively read the game, composure and leadership ability.  I'd have preferred Rob Holding, his composure is key more useful to the way the team builds from the back, and he actually speaks English... 

Everyone is always correct in hindsight, of course, but why not bring Perez on earlier than the 88th and push for the win, perhaps switch out the knackered Ozil for a swashbuckling and hard running Ramsey to increase the pressure on the opponent's CBs? Sadly, ended up with like-for-like swaps and no change to the shape of the team other than Giroud's addition pushing Sanchez to the wing.

On a side not, have been impressed with Chamberlain as of late, seems to have acquired a bit of a cutting edge, even if his finishing needs work.  It is harsh Wenger insists on bringing him off in the 70th minute every game he plays (literally, I think he's finished one game this season where he wasn't the first sub).  The lad needs to be kept on, he's already in his most productive season, and slapping his confidence every game taking him off first can't help with that.
Im sure wenger tells chamberlin its tactical :)
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Cpt_Reina

• Vibranium goalie gloves.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #40730 on: December 15, 2016, 10:59:47 am »
They've had one of those gameweeks which is all too familiar to ourselves, where everyone around you wins and you drop stupid points.

Could get much more frustrating if City put them to the sword on the weekend too.

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #40731 on: December 15, 2016, 11:21:56 am »

I agree with you on most points, but Ox was really poor on Tuesday, as was Walcott. He's lucky he got to the 70min mark because I'd have hauled him off earlier. He's still really inconsistent, great 1 week and anonymous the next. He's wanted more starts and has had 3 in a row now with mixed performances so he can't grumble in my opinion that he's not getting the chances. I appreciate he's had his most productive season so far, but he needs to impose himself more on better opposition (like a few others do to be fair).

As for Ramsey, he wasn't even on the bench so I assume he was nursing an injury or something.

They've had one of those gameweeks which is all too familiar to ourselves, where everyone around you wins and you drop stupid points.

Could get much more frustrating if City put them to the sword on the weekend too.

Yeah, it's amazing how 1 gameweek can change the mood. 2 in a row makes a big difference.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 11:23:56 am by ScottishGoon »

Offline Ashburton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #40732 on: December 15, 2016, 01:30:43 pm »
I agree with you on most points, but Ox was really poor on Tuesday, as was Walcott. He's lucky he got to the 70min mark because I'd have hauled him off earlier. He's still really inconsistent, great 1 week and anonymous the next. He's wanted more starts and has had 3 in a row now with mixed performances so he can't grumble in my opinion that he's not getting the chances. I appreciate he's had his most productive season so far, but he needs to impose himself more on better opposition (like a few others do to be fair).

As for Ramsey, he wasn't even on the bench so I assume he was nursing an injury or something.

Yeah, it's amazing how 1 gameweek can change the mood. 2 in a row makes a big difference.

I didn't think he produced anything unremarkable, however he has certainly stepped up from being anonymous in games, and started to actually run and produce something.  Often I think he's not an especially mentally quick player, he seems to default between putting his head down and charging in to the defence, leading to a small chance of a Messi-esque run and finish or a more likely disposession - or simply blazing it from 30 yards.  He could do a lot worse than take a look at Coutinho, they both have similar dribbling skill, a superb shot, the ability to play on the wing or in the centre - yet Coutinho frequently grabs his team and pulls them up to his level whilst Oxlade is a bit-part player at best.  My point with him being subbed, was he isn't going to develop if he isn't being played, and whilst as a fan I feel he should already be at that level by now, those glimpses of the player he could be are oh-so-tantalizing.  You feel if he had Ronaldo's work ethic he could be on par with Hazard or Sanchez in terms of forward play.

You have a point about Ramsey, seems he is injured again, I thought he had only just come back from injury, so the less said about that the better.

To reply to the final point, I don't think 1 gameweek changes the mood, as has been said, four games in 10 days with little rotation left us looking sluggish - and this is the first defeat away from home in 8 months so it isn't time to panic.  The fact is every team loses.  The reason fans are 'concerned' is that they have seen it before too often, and for a couple of months now the team hasn't actually been playing especially well.  That catching up to us, and the need of a big performance against City rightly makes fans wonder whether this is the season or just the same old.

In other rumours, seems Draxler may be on the move (remember him, he joins us every year).  Hilariously the Independent is running an article about Ozil 'asking' the club sign Draxler as part of his new contract demands.  Probably sick of playing with our powderpuff wingers.

Online The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #40733 on: December 15, 2016, 02:01:19 pm »
Iwobi ahead of Ox any day, Ox is too limited, a ball to feet player, lots of talent but zero movement and we always suffer because of it. Iwobi has intelligent movement and is a team player, even with his dips in form, still more influential than ox. I'd love us to go for Draxler , he'd fit in perfectly.
Big weekend coming, starting to get dangerous for the teams chasing Chelsea. If it goes beyond 6 points, starting to need snookers.

Offline Jimmy Conway

• Look at me, never rat on your friends and always keep your mouth shut
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #40734 on: December 15, 2016, 02:12:53 pm »
Count the BLOODS and FAM. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5tVX-Ru37A

What do them terms even mean?

Online The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #40735 on: December 15, 2016, 02:29:14 pm »
Count the BLOODS and FAM. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5tVX-Ru37A

What do them terms even mean?

Me feelin dem tings blud....me don't tink we woz lively enuff innit breh.

This guy , I've spoken to him before, speaks normal English until the camera is on, then turns all gangsta.... Hilarious.

Offline rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #40736 on: December 15, 2016, 03:43:34 pm »
What is a big man ting? North Bank im relying on your street knowledge to translate. What is the point of these types of fan tv shows? Dont want to be too harsh, the Manc version did produce Andeh Tate and that Bobbins fellah. You ever been on one of them North Bank?
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #40737 on: December 15, 2016, 03:48:00 pm »
What is a big man ting? North Bank im relying on your street knowledge to translate. What is the point of these types of fan tv shows? Dont want to be too harsh, the Manc version did produce Andeh Tate and that Bobbins fellah. You ever been on one of them North Bank?

Entertainment for other fans. Don't know why Arsenal fans would watch it.

Online BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #40738 on: December 15, 2016, 03:50:59 pm »
They badly missed Rosicky the other night.

Offline zanwalk

• Main Stander
« Reply #40739 on: December 15, 2016, 03:51:02 pm »
Iwobi ahead of Ox any day, Ox is too limited, a ball to feet player, lots of talent but zero movement and we always suffer because of it. Iwobi has intelligent movement and is a team player, even with his dips in form, still more influential than ox. I'd love us to go for Draxler , he'd fit in perfectly.
Big weekend coming, starting to get dangerous for the teams chasing Chelsea. If it goes beyond 6 points, starting to need snookers.

That is a great way of putting it!

It is true though, if the lead gets into double figures by the end of the year, it is starting to look like a mountain to climb for the chasers.

Online The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #40740 on: December 15, 2016, 07:17:06 pm »

Big man ting = I'm not kidding blud, dead serious.

Never been on one, I pass by them after games, can't miss them. Spoken to them a few times off camera, they're becoming celebrities, a few times I've had kids asking me if I know where arsenal fan TV is because they want to be on it. Its harmless, post match muppetry and entertainment, a bit like sky .

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #40741 on: December 18, 2016, 05:54:04 pm »
You can always rely on Ozil to be anonymous in a tough away game. All that talent in the world but a heart of a mouse. Pathetic footballer. Whenever Arsenal needs to grind he's nowhere to be seen. You're not gonna win a PL if he's one of your main players.

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #40742 on: December 18, 2016, 05:54:52 pm »

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #40743 on: December 18, 2016, 06:01:38 pm »
Still short of a worthy replacement for Cazorla and still short of an excellent DM. Xhaka is not a top player and never will be based on what I've seen of him in the Bundesliga and so far at Arsenal.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #40744 on: December 18, 2016, 06:04:30 pm »

An empty bottle? So you're saying Arsenal have no contents of a bottle?

Offline CallumLFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #40745 on: December 18, 2016, 06:07:54 pm »
North Bank's swagger will end a bit earlier than last year it seems

Online PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #40746 on: December 18, 2016, 06:15:22 pm »

I fear they will finish above us. Possibly by defending better !
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #40747 on: December 18, 2016, 06:40:32 pm »
Wenger the fraud.

Offline PIPA23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #40748 on: December 18, 2016, 06:44:22 pm »

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #40749 on: December 18, 2016, 06:58:37 pm »
Gooners calling for Wenger's head on 606

:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

Offline zip

• Legacy Fan
  • That was liquid football!
« Reply #40750 on: December 18, 2016, 07:44:45 pm »
Can we change the title of the thread back to the classic 'I like the fact you underestimate Arsenal this season' ?
One day, people will hopefully look back and say "I was there son. I was there the year that Spurs won nothing again."

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #40751 on: December 18, 2016, 07:50:15 pm »
Well I think I said a week ago these 2 games will go a big way to defining our season & they failed miserably. I didn't see the 2nd half today but it sounds like it's identical to the Everton game, early lead, play ok, should have been ruthless when on top, concede an equaliser & look totally abject 2nd half.

They deserve al the criticism they are going to get I my opinion. All the players talk about winning the league, but in my opinion there's a select few who really want to put in the hard work & effort to win it, the rest would like to win it, but only if it gets placed into their lap.

Offline Vinay

• West Coast privileges revoked due to jinxing activity. Considerably more greedier than yaow!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ceux qui écrivent clairement ont des lecteurs.....
« Reply #40752 on: December 18, 2016, 07:57:09 pm »
Well I think I said a week ago these 2 games will go a big way to defining our season & they failed miserably. I didn't see the 2nd half today but it sounds like it's identical to the Everton game, early lead, play ok, should have been ruthless when on top, concede an equaliser & look totally abject 2nd half.

They deserve al the criticism they are going to get I my opinion. All the players talk about winning the league, but in my opinion there's a select few who really want to put in the hard work & effort to win it, the rest would like to win it, but only if it gets placed into their lap.
Except today Arsenal were never on top -- apart from scoring early, they were totally dominated and outclassed by Man City.

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #40753 on: December 18, 2016, 07:57:12 pm »
They have an easy run until Chelsea match, so I'm glad they lost today

WBA (H)
Palace (H)
Bournemouth (A)
Swansea (A)
Burnley (H)
Watford (H)
Chelsea (A)

Offline CallumLFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #40754 on: December 18, 2016, 07:58:11 pm »
He doesn't talk in the most appropriate mannar but DT talks a lot of sense. There is clear lack of hunger within this squad. In Klopp's terms, they just aren't 'angry' enough. They're far too soft and it all comes from Wenger.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/JHNBttv0ceA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/JHNBttv0ceA</a>

« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 08:28:23 pm by Kals »

Offline arthur sarnoff

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #40755 on: December 18, 2016, 08:00:18 pm »
Gooners calling for Wenger's head on 606

:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

Why is it funny?  Every year it's the same old, same old.  Maybe some of their fans would like to win the title, to win the European Cup.  To do more than be at the top table every year, without being the best.

Wenger has done some wonderful things for that club, and perhaps getting someone else in means they finish 6th and aren't in the Champions League.  But given that they aren't going to win it with Wenger in charge, what difference does it make?  They might be worse without him, but they aren't going to be better with him, so why shouldn't fans want a change?

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #40756 on: December 18, 2016, 08:00:31 pm »
They have an easy run until Chelsea match, so I'm glad they lost today

WBA (H)
Palace (H)
Bournemouth (A)
Swansea (A)
Burnley (H)
Watford (H)
Chelsea (A)

Could arguably win everyone.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #40757 on: December 18, 2016, 08:07:31 pm »
Except today Arsenal were never on top -- apart from scoring early, they were totally dominated and outclassed by Man City.

I didn't mean that we were dominating the game, but the first half I watched showed City looking pretty open, & Arsenal getting into dangerous areas a few times, but lacking any sort of killer conviction or belief. If it was Klopps Liverpool I believe they could have easily scored a 2nd or a 3rd in that period given the same opportunities on the break.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 08:33:02 pm by ScottishGoon »

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #40758 on: December 18, 2016, 08:09:26 pm »
I didn't say they were on top, but the first half I watched showed City looking pretty open, & Arsenal getting into dangerous areas a few times, but lacking any sort of killer conviction or belief. If it was Klopps Liverpool I believe they could have easily scored a 2nd or a 3rd in that period given the same opportunities on the break.

We would have gone for their throat.

They were shit first half bar Sterling's header.

You have a nice run of fixtures to stay top four.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #40759 on: December 18, 2016, 08:19:29 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/uS2nWLz-AbE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/uS2nWLz-AbE</a>
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same