Author Topic: Your favorite moment of the 08/09Season  (Read 4548 times)

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Your favorite moment of the 08/09Season
« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2011, 09:37:18 pm »
The win at Craven Cottage. That stay behind was fantastic.

Fucking incredible wasn't it, even the Fulham stewards were loving it.

Still pains me that we never won it, will make it all the sweeter when we eventually do though.

Offline andy in warrington

• ...wanking in the work bogs
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2011, 09:39:38 pm »
we  ended up potless though didn't we ?

Offline On Axis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2011, 09:43:03 pm »
Haven't seen this one yet, but the 3-2 come from behind win at Fratton Park was immense. The roller coaster of emotions throughout that game, from dread to sheer ecstasy when Torres came off the bench and scored the winner.

Offline Brentieke

• Vote King Hendo. Beaker's panic gif was modelled on his coupon. A seer & visionary - he saw how shite we are.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2011, 10:18:28 pm »
We had Reina fully commited. Carra stil lstrong, Agger fit for ages. Xabi in his best ever season, Masch at his best. Gerrard winning player of the year he was that good. And Nando. Beautiful, blonde Nando when he was still wide eyed about us.

And we had Yossi scoring important goals, Kuyt having his most productive season ever, Sami head and shoulders above everyone else when he played and squad players that actually made a difference.

Fuck you Federico Macheda. Fuck you Howard Webb. Fuck you Spain national team. Fuck you Cristiana Ronaldo who never ever fucken gets injured. Fuck off Roy fucking Hodgson with your 11 men behind the ball at Anfield.And fuck off Stoke City as well.
My blog on Corruption in English Football and LFC Analysis.

http://diminbeirut.typepad.com/my-blog/

https://twitter.com/DimmyBad

Offline Riedles Reds

• Kopite
« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2011, 10:21:35 pm »
Ah. I can't decide. There were so many great moments.

2-0 v Utd
4-1 v Utd
3-2 v City
3-2 v Wigan
3-2 v Pompey
1-0 v Fulham
1-0 v Madrid
4-0 v Madrid
4-4 v Chelsea
2-0 v Chelsea
1-0 v Chelsea
4-4 v Arsenal

Any more I've forgotten?  :D

Although it was one of the ones I wasn't at it was probably v Fulham. Me and me dad and me brother stuck by the radio in the kitchen listening to City on the radio hooked and nervous as hell for the entire game and then for Yossi to score in injury time like he did! Someone should have been there to record our reactions on camera.

Offline Brentieke

• Vote King Hendo. Beaker's panic gif was modelled on his coupon. A seer & visionary - he saw how shite we are.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2011, 10:23:57 pm »
we  ended up potless though didn't we ?

We did. And its a shame, a fucken travesty that that side ended up with no medals.

The team which had the Reina-Carra-Agger-Xabi-Masch-Gerrard-Torres spine reached no finals and won nothing. Just a goal away from the euroepan cup final in 2008, 4 points away from the league title in 2009. Sickening.

And its the finest side Ive seen in 20 odd years at Anfield.

Will never understand how it won fuck all. Ridiculous.

Yet...Its still an amazing season. I prefer the 08/09 to any other season even 04/05 and 00/01. It was just so dramatic from start to finish.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 10:32:35 pm by Brentie »
My blog on Corruption in English Football and LFC Analysis.

http://diminbeirut.typepad.com/my-blog/

https://twitter.com/DimmyBad

Offline Surprise me.

• Is 2" bigger than fordy87.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Formerly El Torres.
« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2011, 10:47:06 pm »
That win against Fulham was insane, i remember how vital it was for us to win that game, Benayoun had missed a chance just before and i went mental at him, really desperate for a goal and then he pops up again with the goal and I just went crazy. I was on a great high for the rest of the day. Still amazes me how close we came to the title that season, we had a bloody amazing team. That week where we beat United and Real Madrid, not just beat them but destroyed them was something else. A lot of great moments from that season and unfortunately, no trophies to show for it.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 11:29:53 pm by El Torres »

Offline Kingcarra21

• Main Stander
  • I just dont like people.
« Reply #47 on: March 30, 2011, 10:52:10 pm »
Had to be the Fulham away game. Should have battered them, the Mancs slipping up the week before at the same place, after us beating them 4-1 the week before that. When Yossi smashed it in, I really believed the title was ours, we were going to do it. Were it not for that Italian gimp Macheda, I think we would have.

The relief coupled with genuine belief when Yossi scored. The hallmark of champions it was. Rafa's little celebration, the travelling Kop beliting out 'We're gonna win the league', it was awesome for my generation, only being 22, to actually have that feeling for the fIrst time. That was an epic month.

We almost did it. I will always be grateful to Rafa for giving me that feeling, a real believe we could win the title. While we didn't I enjoed that season so much. I can only imagine what it will be like when we do win the title again. That was the taster for me, I really can't wait to sample the whole thing.

Offline .Mike

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #48 on: March 30, 2011, 10:55:37 pm »
Has to be 4-0 agaisnt Madrid.

What a game that was to witness, its nights like them that make us not being in the Champions League hurt so much!

Offline Ben_

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: March 30, 2011, 10:58:23 pm »
We had Reina fully commited. Carra stil lstrong, Agger fit for ages. Xabi in his best ever season, Masch at his best. Gerrard winning player of the year he was that good. And Nando. Beautiful, blonde Nando when he was still wide eyed about us.

And we had Yossi scoring important goals, Kuyt having his most productive season ever, Sami head and shoulders above everyone else when he played and squad players that actually made a difference.

Fuck you Federico Macheda. Fuck you Howard Webb. Fuck you Spain national team. Fuck you Cristiana Ronaldo who never ever fucken gets injured. Fuck off Roy fucking Hodgson with your 11 men behind the ball at Anfield.And fuck off Stoke City as well.

Just that.

Makes me genuinely sad how close we got, and how we should have won it.

Some incredible memories though.  Absolutely special.
The match kicks off in 30 minutes ya silly twat

"This European Cup final is won, AC Milan 3, Liverpool 0."

"This scoreline is absolutely staggering, AC Milan 3, Liverpool 3!" - Five Live

Offline Ben_

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: March 30, 2011, 11:00:59 pm »
Oh, and how upsetting and demoralising was it to drop points that season!?

The early part of this season, it became second nature.

The match kicks off in 30 minutes ya silly twat

"This European Cup final is won, AC Milan 3, Liverpool 0."

"This scoreline is absolutely staggering, AC Milan 3, Liverpool 3!" - Five Live

Offline andspecks

• avers would probably help my analysis
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: March 30, 2011, 11:11:24 pm »
4-0 against Real Madrid.
4-1 against the Mancs.
The 4-4 draw against Chelsea. Phenomenal match. Fabio's free kick is still one of my favorites.
Rafa's 'facts'.
Stevie winning the Player of the Season award.
Watching Xabi that whole season. Something that still bothers me now.. there was this feature in the Daily Mail comparing Liverpool's team and Man United's team. They put Fletcher and Carrick in over Xabi and Masch. I know it's the Mail, but I still haven't gotten over how much that pissed me off. I hate how the press only took notice of how brilliant Xabi was after he left for Real Madrid.

Offline Shabby

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: March 31, 2011, 12:28:25 am »
1) Yossi at Fulham. In my top 5 for best ever football moments coz I really believed we'd win the league. Fast forward 24 hours for one of my worst when Macheda scored and I knew we wouldnt.

2) The 4-4 with Chelsea and Arsenal Never been prouder to be a Red then after those games. Never, ever gave up, not even 3-2 down with 10 minutes left, no at 4-4 when Ngog had a shot cleared off the line against Chelsea and at 3-4 in the last minute against Arsenal.

3) the 4-1 against the Mancs. Put us right back into the title race and embarassed them greatly.

4) The 1-0 against Chelsea. Thats when you knew we were really serious about challenging.

5) The 4-0 against Real. Came after a bad run for us and was great football, beaten for quality only by...

6) 5-1 against Newcastle. Could have been 10. Easilly. We were wonderful.

7) The last minute Torres goal at Pompey. Came after the derby cup defeat and put us top of the league. I went nuts.

8) The 3-2 at City. 2-0 down at half time, that was the first time I thought this could be a special season.

9) Beating United 2-1 at home for the first time in what felt like ages.

10) Opening day of the season and Nando's screamer.

God, what a season.

All of this.
£15m? It seems low, but what people have to remember is that the fee is irrelevant.

Offline 1021

• AD MXXI
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: March 31, 2011, 12:44:07 am »
4-0 vs. Real Madrid. Was in the Anny Rd, for some reason, and it was a fucking amazing atmosphere and not just a view of Liverpool dismantling and destroying a Madrid side who had bitched about the negative football we had played at the Bernabeu, with some of the sexiest, explosive, brilliant football I have seen us play, but to see the Kop, colourful, bright, singing, swaying, bouncing.
Full time, that I never wanted to come George sticks on HeyJude and to a man as we file out everyone is singing along, smiling. And some big fella pipes up "altogether now" then all of us na na na na na na na na na na na hey jude"

Criminal we never won something with that side, it was fucking boss. Had that blonde bastard and Steve been fit to play half a dozen more games with each other we would have won a league and European Cup double, I am convinced.
I got the Lucas thing wrong. Will be right on Henderson though. Play him RM, play him CM - Not good enough and never will be.

Online rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
« Reply #54 on: March 31, 2011, 12:44:11 am »
1-4 at the shithole

Close 2nd was at Fulham and the pandemonium of the Injury Time winner and the atmos in the ground after, then it spilling out into the 8 bells pub and the feeling of it being our year. :(

But at the time. thats what its all about though. Moments. Manc fans dont cherish theirs, they'll wish they did in future years cos nothing lasts forever. How old is he now? 70 isnt it....   
If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Offline Nebnotsew

• Kopite
« Reply #55 on: March 31, 2011, 12:54:13 am »
Fulham 0-1 Liverpool - Such a frustrating game hitting the woodwork so many times and such elation at the end.

08/09 was a great Liverpool side, even 1-3 down to Chelsea going into the second leg at Stamford Bridge I was so confident we would win the game. Very nearly did too.

The last few months of the season starting away at Madrid provided some pretty special football.
Quote from: Rafael Benitez
I was born Spanish, I am no longer as thin (the anxiety doesn’t help), and yes, sometimes I help serving the dinner.

Offline campioni

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: March 31, 2011, 01:06:52 am »

8) The 3-2 at City. 2-0 down at half time, that was the first time I thought this could be a special season.

i think this has been passed over by most people because it was early in the season. i remember my mate saying at half time "ah well, first defeat of the season, we'll see how they bounce back". we were 2-0 down without playing that badly.

i told him we could win it if we got an early goal second half. there was just something about the way we were playing at that time, we never looked beat. when dirk got the winner in injury time, our end went nuts. always afraid to say it but i think that was the day everyone started to seriously talk about a title challenge.

Offline Red Squiggle

• Legacy Fan
  • Raaaaaaaafaaaaaaa in Iiiiiiiiistanbuuuuuuuuul
    • Venus in Faux Official Webpage
« Reply #57 on: March 31, 2011, 01:41:22 am »
Fleeting memory ultimately tinged with a shock defeat, but for me, the first half at White Hart Lane was some of the best one touch football I've ever seen a side play. And Dirk Kuyt's goal was as spectacular as Suarez's was at Sunderland - a STUPID angle but with nothing on, why not have a pop and BANG. Keep your Barcelona, I've got Spurs fan mates who still to this day have no idea how they won that game and rave about how we played and how good our team was that day.

As mentioned a lot in this thread, WHAT a team we had. I suppose history will look back on us like the 96 Newcastle team that entertained and swaggered and steamrollered teams before it but ultimately left (criminally) with nothing. That 4-4 Arsenal game (another "how did we not get something from that one?") was our "Collymore closing innnnnnnnn" 4-3 moment I guess.

Offline Raoul Duke

• Is Boris Johnson.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: March 31, 2011, 02:07:01 am »
It's odd but I loved that Arsenal match at Anfield. What a fucking game that was, Arshavin playing an absolute blinder and somehow we manage to put four in at the other end. Insanity.
Fool, if it wasn't for Sergei here, both you and your cousin be cadaverous mo'fuckers.

Offline El Campeador

• Capital of Culture's Campaign Manager...Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The shupporters create chances, for sure, djes
« Reply #59 on: March 31, 2011, 03:51:23 am »
Eh? Where did I say we're not allowed to drop points? My point was that we had a sticky couple of months which allowed the mancs to build a lead and make us need something truly exceptional to win it. We almost achieved that but just fell short. The run in was great but up till then it wasn't as if we were blowing teams away left right and centre. We had a good season till then, I'm not saying we didn't but we left ourselves too much to do. That's all.

As for "what a shit 2 months" - well yeah, it cost us the league unfortunately. I'm not having a go at anyone for it, I'm not saying we should've sold xyz or bought abc or played tactic 123. It's one of them things but it was our own fault we didn't win the league that year because we weren't good enough.

We were indeed good enough. Liverpool Football Club scored more goals, lost less matches, and were one Arshavin hattrick short of being the stingiest team in the league defensively, all the while unbeaten at home, caning United and Chelsea home and away in epic fashion on the way, and earning a push against Arsenal.

Furthermore, if we weren't good enough, did United look the part? They managed no points out of 6 against us, just one of six against Arsenal, and a split pot off Chelsea home and away, a feeble 4 points out of 18 available against the top four. Admittedly, no points are ever "dropped" by the champions, but all else being equal, when given the choice of beating the top 4 and the bottom 4 what would you choose? Take 6 from Stoke or take 6 from Chelsea ? Given the choice of beating the top 4 and the bottom 4, which would *you* choose?

It wasn't the dropping of points against supposedly inferior opposition, nor was it "not being good enough" that cost us the title. No, what cost us the title that season was Ginsoak the flat track bully Ferguson, the thousand pound gorilla leaping for his third banana in a row.  The referee rider rode the refs. He rode the FA. Opposing teams littered with ex-United scumbags at the helm didn't just *park* the bus - they never actually even stepped off it onto the parking lot. Even when Rafa shouted from the rooftops that we were running an uneven race, few folks got the message. Those that did were labeled insane. Andy@A was neither paranoid nor nuts. Zonal marking, Rafa cracking up, 4231, two defensive midfielders, Carrick being compared to Xabi Alonso, coming from behind to win 3-2 at Fratton Park with commentators munching on lemons. "Did you hear something on ehSky?" The pressure was on *us* and never on *him*.

The ridiculous number of 1-0 wins over shit opposition that United scraped is staggering. Pompey away. City away. Sunderland at home. Stoke away. Boro at home. Wigan at home. Bolton away. Everton at home. West Ham away. Hull away. Then consider the other games they won by a single goal. Hull at home. Blackburn at home. Newcastle away. Villa at home. Sunderland away. Wigan away. They weren't better. They had Ferguson, sitting on a three-peat. He made the difference.

We played pocket Kings from early position and had the best hand, djes. Everyone folded, wary of the drunk Scottish bigstack on the button. Emboldened by the lack of opposition and superior position, and just having won two hands in a row, the ginsoaked hard shoulder shitter called our massive raise with A2 off suit, and flopped a 345.

We got fucked. He got lucky. It happens. But we did play that 2008/09 hand right, and it was good enough. I'll take that hand every time - 86 points, most goals, almost least goals, only two 2 total losses against insignificant opposition, no home losses, and 14 points out of 18 against the top four.

Every time, mate. Every time.