Author Topic: The NHL Thread  (Read 599648 times)

Offline theCanadian

• Potential grass
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The NHL Thread
« Reply #240 on: October 21, 2005, 08:48:30 pm »
Quote from: howes hound link=topic=88874.msg1448840#msg1448840ate=1129911745
we'll be unstoppable.

::)

Unfortunately, we don't get to play you guys in the regular season. I guess we'll see you in the final :wanker.
Those who dwell, as scientists or laymen, among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life. - Rachel Carson

Offline NY-AmericanRed

• Legacy Fan
  • We all dream of a team of Messiers...
« Reply #241 on: October 21, 2005, 09:38:10 pm »
I'm sick that the Rangers lost twice to the Isles, but both teams played hard, and sometimes that happens.  The Rangers showed a lot of fight after they fell behind 3-0 within 3 minutes, making the Islanders work for everything they got thereafter and almost pulling it out.

Another thing...Jagr is invincible on the power play.  He has more power play goals than anyone else has goals scored in the league (8 PP goals, the next closest player has 7 goals overall),

And yes, Ovechkin is amazing, he reminds me of Kovalchuk in Atlanta.  Both awesome players on terrible teams.  Personally I'd love the Rangers to pull a trade for Kovalchuk, they need one more big offensive player on their team as Jagr cannot keep up a 90-goal pace the entire season.
"They're the New York Giants; all run and no fun"--my brother at the Giants-Eagles game, Nov. 20, 2005

ManU fans--your 1999 European Cup is safe and sound in our museum

Mark Messier--The Captain, The Legend, The Messiah...11 forever

Offline theCanadian

• Potential grass
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #242 on: October 21, 2005, 10:17:48 pm »
And yes, Ovechkin is amazing, he reminds me of Kovalchuk in Atlanta.  Both awesome players on terrible teams.  Personally I'd love the Rangers to pull a trade for Kovalchuk, they need one more big offensive player on their team as Jagr cannot keep up a 90-goal pace the entire season.

Why not? I reckon the Hart Trophy winner this year will have at least 75 goals. The last few season in the 'old NHL' it was players in the high 40's and low 50's that were winning it. Definetly won't be the same this time around. Lindros has 6 goals in 7 games by the way, not a bad signing for $1.5m/year.
Those who dwell, as scientists or laymen, among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life. - Rachel Carson

Offline NY-AmericanRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #243 on: October 21, 2005, 10:45:14 pm »
Why not? I reckon the Hart Trophy winner this year will have at least 75 goals. The last few season in the 'old NHL' it was players in the high 40's and low 50's that were winning it. Definetly won't be the same this time around. Lindros has 6 goals in 7 games by the way, not a bad signing for $1.5m/year.

If Jagr scores 90 goals this year I'll be paying you 50 bucks in a bet (American) and would still be over the moon because the Rangers would win the Atlantic division with ease and probably be seeded 2nd in the East...

I believe the Great One was the only man to ever score 90 or more goals in a season.

Also, people may start to buy into my "Hart Trophy for Jagr" prediction...

I have to admit, if anyone could score at least 75 goals this year it would be Jagr because of how unstoppable he is on the power play.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2005, 10:52:07 pm by NY-AmericanRed »
"They're the New York Giants; all run and no fun"--my brother at the Giants-Eagles game, Nov. 20, 2005

Offline theCanadian

• Potential grass
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #244 on: October 22, 2005, 12:58:29 am »
If Jagr scores 90 goals this year I'll be paying you 50 bucks in a bet (American) and would still be over the moon because the Rangers would win the Atlantic division with ease and probably be seeded 2nd in the East...

I believe the Great One was the only man to ever score 90 or more goals in a season.

Also, people may start to buy into my "Hart Trophy for Jagr" prediction...

I have to admit, if anyone could score at least 75 goals this year it would be Jagr because of how unstoppable he is on the power play.

No Gretzky isn't the one to have done it for sure. I'm pretty sure Pavel Bure did it at least once and Alex Mogilny did it a couple times in the early nineties. In the early nineties and before that it wasn't that rare of a feat from what I gather.

Offline ScouserTommy37

• Steve Biko, Aung San Suu Kyi, Nelson Mandela and now ScouserTommy37. Stop the repression!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Will there ever be a Rainbow ?
« Reply #245 on: October 22, 2005, 02:32:18 am »
Nice GAA for Turco eh :D
Come on RAWK lets ave it and you can bring your fuckin dinner as well.

http://www.contrast.org/hillsborough/ <-- Read this JFT96

MICHAEL SHIELDS YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE!

"If Jamie Carragher were Italian, we'd build entire dynasties around him." Corriere della Sera

Offline theCanadian

• Potential grass
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #246 on: October 22, 2005, 03:29:57 am »

Offline NY-AmericanRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #247 on: October 22, 2005, 05:46:53 am »
No Gretzky isn't the one to have done it for sure. I'm pretty sure Pavel Bure did it at least once and Alex Mogilny did it a couple times in the early nineties. In the early nineties and before that it wasn't that rare of a feat from what I gather.

Mogilny scored 76 in his best season, and I think Bure cracked 60 twice, but neither one got close to 90.

The only players other than Gretzky to score more than 80 in one season are Brett Hull (86 in 1991) and Mario Lemieux (85 in 1989).

Jagr's highest total was 62 in 1995.

http://www.hickoksports.com/history/nhlsrecords.shtml#goals
« Last Edit: October 22, 2005, 05:50:42 am by NY-AmericanRed »

Offline theCanadian

• Potential grass
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #248 on: October 22, 2005, 02:53:34 pm »
Mogilny scored 76 in his best season, and I think Bure cracked 60 twice, but neither one got close to 90.

The only players other than Gretzky to score more than 80 in one season are Brett Hull (86 in 1991) and Mario Lemieux (85 in 1989).

Jagr's highest total was 62 in 1995.

http://www.hickoksports.com/history/nhlsrecords.shtml#goals

I stand corrected.

Offline kopkev

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #249 on: October 22, 2005, 05:03:35 pm »
looking forward to canucks colorado this evening, should be a great game, first game for bertuzzi against avalanche since his assault of steve moore

Offline NY-AmericanRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #250 on: October 22, 2005, 06:23:53 pm »
looking forward to canucks colorado this evening, should be a great game, first game for bertuzzi against avalanche since his assault of steve moore

There are going to be some fights in that game...

Offline DK

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #251 on: October 22, 2005, 09:17:01 pm »
Nice GAA for Turco eh :D

He was doing all right in my fantasy leave for a bit...now he has a GAA of 21.00 for this week.  ::)  I'm still winning that stat though - the only one mind you!  :-[

There are going to be some fights in that game...

Hoping that NASN are covering that one.  Is it on HNIC coz I think they are covering all their games.

Offline Sami

• vaguely scandinavian
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kome on pool!!!
« Reply #252 on: October 23, 2005, 09:57:03 am »
Isn't it great when the Red Wings are winning game after game :D
4-4-2 Sucks

Offline DK

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #253 on: October 23, 2005, 08:34:50 pm »
TheCanadian a bit quieter today? ;)

Flyers 5, Leafs 2... :D

Get in!

Offline theCanadian

• Potential grass
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #254 on: October 23, 2005, 09:22:58 pm »
TheCanadian a bit quieter today? ;)

Flyers 5, Leafs 2... :D

Get in!

:'(

I didn't watch the game because I had to be at my grandparents' 50th anniversary. I'll see the one against Boston on monday night though, looking forward to that as well as the Crystal Palace game on wednesday at the pub.

Offline DK

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #255 on: October 23, 2005, 09:43:58 pm »
:'(

I didn't watch the game because I had to be at my grandparents' 50th anniversary.

In that case I wish your grandparents all the best.  :D

Pretty uneventful Avs - Canucks game in the end (according to the write-ups anyway).  You catch it?  Anyone line up Bertuzzi?

Offline howes hound

• Legacy Fan
  • underdearm
« Reply #256 on: October 23, 2005, 11:06:06 pm »
Pretty uneventful Avs - Canucks game in the end (according to the write-ups anyway).  You catch it?  Anyone line up Bertuzzi?

Saw the game last night. Weird. Canucks were outplayed for the first ten minutes, looked overawed, as if the old Avs were on the ice. Then they scored, got a little confidence, scored again and got a little more, until they were well on top right up to the final four minutes when the famous Mr. C. - who up til then had been playing well aside from the Avs' first goal, had a meltdown. Admitedly, the defence was lax on the Avs' second, but Dan's never been the man to hold your team in when they're going through a bad patch.
Not much rough stuff. Bert behaved. Even went to the box on a doubtful call without jawing or slamming the gate. I believe there are only 7 Avs remaining from the team that participated in the infamous brawl, so settling of scores didn't come into it.
I was just opening my mouth to lay into the Sisters when they scored one of the best tic-tac-toe goals I've seen this season, and followed it up with one almost as good. But I'm still not sold on Carter on that line. Hands of cement.
"Ders fuck'n arms goin in, ders fuck'n legs goin in, ders de 'ole fuck'n yuman fuck'n body goin in."  - expression of admiration from kopite behind me, Leeds v. L'pool, late '60s.

Offline Sami

• vaguely scandinavian
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kome on pool!!!
« Reply #257 on: October 25, 2005, 10:07:37 am »
The Red Wings keep on going, lovely :D
4-4-2 Sucks

Offline kopkev

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #258 on: October 28, 2005, 02:29:08 am »
the red wings have only lost one game, hmm wonder who that was against?

Offline DK

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #259 on: October 28, 2005, 09:01:38 am »
Forsberg gets his first goal and then promptly gets a second.  Excellent.  8)

Offline Sami

• vaguely scandinavian
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kome on pool!!!
« Reply #260 on: October 28, 2005, 10:51:10 am »
the red wings have only lost one game, hmm wonder who that was against?

Can't remember that anymore, it has been a while ;)

Oh, and Foppa only scored once, not twice
4-4-2 Sucks

Offline DK

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #261 on: October 28, 2005, 11:46:56 am »
Oh, and Foppa only scored once, not twice

Oh yes, I read it wrong...unsuccessful penalty shot in the end.

Offline NY-AmericanRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #262 on: October 28, 2005, 09:27:53 pm »
Rangers over Isles, 3-1.  Well played game, and a very important win for the Blueshirts because the Isles had taken the first two off of them.

Nashville is the untold story in this new NHL.  They're 8-0-1 with Paul Kariya leading the attack and a bunch of enforcers ready to protect him if someone decides to go at him.

Staying on the topic of enforcers, I think the Rangers are going to need one soon because teams are going to start taking runs at Jagr...

Offline yenners

• Main Stander
« Reply #263 on: October 30, 2005, 01:29:47 am »
 What a day ! Man United get hammered 4-1 and the Leafs are losing 5-0 as i post this message. Thecanadian, what do you think about the leafs inablity to defeat the Sens ?

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #264 on: October 30, 2005, 01:36:16 am »
Penguins acting like an anchor of the Atlantic division once more...  :(

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline yenners

• Main Stander
« Reply #265 on: October 30, 2005, 01:07:28 am »
Penguins acting like an anchor of the Atlantic division once more...  :(

You guys are winning now :)

Offline yenners

• Main Stander
« Reply #266 on: October 30, 2005, 01:10:37 am »
Congrats to the Leafs for avoiding a double digit loss.  ;D It was certainly on the cards for a while.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2005, 01:31:22 am by yenners »

Offline theCanadian

• Potential grass
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #267 on: October 30, 2005, 03:39:08 am »
I was cheering for the Sens to get to 10 goals. They certainly deserved to. The Leafs didn't show up tonight at all and I don't care because there are a lot of games in a season unlike the Premiership, therefore one game is not very significant. I think I can be forgiven for not attentively watching the game after the Leafs went down 5-0.

Won't be good for my heavy investment in Leafs players in fantasy hockey.

:wave

Offline Scarlet`

• Low profile with wide rims
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96!!!
    • Laconius Arts and Design
« Reply #268 on: October 30, 2005, 04:01:36 am »
Wow.......we were wtfpwned by the Sens just as Man USA was wtfpwned by Boro........

........just wow.........

Someone needs to slap our defense around......
If Ayre got £25m out of them he's willing to fuck all the female members of my family on Sunday's.

Offline NY-AmericanRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #269 on: October 30, 2005, 05:46:42 pm »
I was cheering for the Sens to get to 10 goals. They certainly deserved to. The Leafs didn't show up tonight at all and I don't care because there are a lot of games in a season unlike the Premiership, therefore one game is not very significant. I think I can be forgiven for not attentively watching the game after the Leafs went down 5-0.

Won't be good for my heavy investment in Leafs players in fantasy hockey.

:wave

I'd think that if your team went down by that many goals, you'd have three goons that would be able to stir something up...but this is the new NHL.

Offline howes hound

• Legacy Fan
  • underdearm
« Reply #270 on: October 30, 2005, 06:51:24 pm »
Got to hand it to Domi. Picks a fight to try to spark his team, gets wupped big time, gives credit to his opponent in the post game. Class.
"Ders fuck'n arms goin in, ders fuck'n legs goin in, ders de 'ole fuck'n yuman fuck'n body goin in."  - expression of admiration from kopite behind me, Leeds v. L'pool, late '60s.

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #271 on: October 30, 2005, 09:02:32 pm »
  You guys are winning now :)

Not really.  :-\

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline howes hound

• Legacy Fan
  • underdearm
« Reply #272 on: October 30, 2005, 09:19:30 pm »
Nice Pens come-from-behind the other night.

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #273 on: October 31, 2005, 10:07:10 pm »
Nice Pens come-from-behind the other night.

Yeah, but Super Mario is not so super anymore. At least not in as many games as he used to. Him, Jagr and Francis were superb all those years ago. Hope this new kid can learn a thing or two. Pens are likely to need it.

Offline theCanadian

• Potential grass
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #274 on: November 1, 2005, 02:49:32 pm »
2-1 win for the Leafs, Gary Roberts scores for Florida 26 seconds into the game in Toronto.

(Roberts had been at the Leafs for years and became a fan favorite before moving to Fla in the summer)

Offline Sami

• vaguely scandinavian
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kome on pool!!!
« Reply #275 on: November 1, 2005, 07:02:19 pm »

(Roberts had been at the Leafs for years and became a fan favorite before moving to Fla in the summer)

:o :o

:P
4-4-2 Sucks

Offline Sami

• vaguely scandinavian
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kome on pool!!!
« Reply #276 on: November 2, 2005, 02:47:24 pm »
Even though we have mostly played against shite teams so far, it looks like that Detroit really is VERY HOT right now. 12 wins out of 13 games is a great start, and I can't see any reasons why the season shouldn't continue almost as well till the end. Loads of different goal scorers in every match, looks like Babcock knows how to play with these new rules. I'm very happy that Hitler ain't coaching us anymore, he was useless :)
4-4-2 Sucks

Offline theCanadian

• Potential grass
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #277 on: November 2, 2005, 05:46:41 pm »
Even though we have mostly played against shite teams so far, it looks like that Detroit really is VERY HOT right now. 12 wins out of 13 games is a great start, and I can't see any reasons why the season shouldn't continue almost as well till the end. Loads of different goal scorers in every match, looks like Babcock knows how to play with these new rules. I'm very happy that Hitler ain't coaching us anymore, he was useless :)

;D

Offline Bobby Fury

• Fountain of Musical Knowledge
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
« Reply #278 on: November 3, 2005, 05:22:48 pm »

They spanked my shite Blackhawks 3 in a row!  I'm still confident my Blackhawks will do OK this year.  Their weakness right now is their defense and hopefully they will improve.

I have a business trip to Chicago next week and I'll get to see the Hawks play while I am there.  :D
LFC - It's what's happening!!!

Offline Sami

• vaguely scandinavian
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kome on pool!!!
« Reply #279 on: November 3, 2005, 07:30:09 pm »

I have a business trip to Chicago next week and I'll get to see the Hawks play while I am there.  :D

I hope we don't have to play them then again, I hope we can play against some icehockey team :P

I hope you enjoy the match Bobby, what ever the scoreline :wave
4-4-2 Sucks