Author Topic: Boxing thread  (Read 4192373 times)

Offline smiggers

• Kopite
Re: Boxing thread
« Reply #480 on: January 30, 2006, 12:26:41 pm »
Hes got a right to make a comeback though, how old is he? 30-31? I find people like Larry Holmes and Evander Holyfield still fighting and guys like Audrey Harrison a much worse insult to boxing than Naz making a comeback. He was a World Champion, only bloke to beat him was Barrera, a man who will surely go down as an all time great?

Fair point mate. Maybe my opinion was a bit OTT.
I used to love Naz but lost a lot of respect for him when he fucked off Ingle. His whole attitude stunk after that and it showed in his performances. He felt he only had to turn up and win but Barrera showed him who was the King.
If Naz was such a great boxer then he would have taken a lesson from that Barrera defeat and come back stronger but he went the complete opposite.

Offline Mirra

• The Cock of RAWK. desperately seeking two fat ladies. His ass found glass in the grass.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No one on the corner got a swagger like me
« Reply #481 on: January 30, 2006, 01:39:55 pm »
Aye I agree with you there mate, your not alone in losing respect for him over the Ingle thing, a lot of people did. Though ive only heard Brendans side of it, id be interested to hear Naz's as well. Your right about the loss to Barrera as well, all the talk from Naz after the fight was about him wanting a rematch, about him going to return stronger and he never did. He was a very good fighter, but fell short of the great mark.
Mirra, 7777 wake up the thread needs you!

Offline Cusamano

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Natural Police
« Reply #482 on: January 30, 2006, 10:14:05 pm »
Anybody watch the Khan fight on saturday? Given Martynov's record (10 wins out of eleven) I was very dissappointed to see the fight last only 72 seconds. I'm not sure if thats an indication of how good khan actually is or how poor martynov's oppenents were. Might be a mixture of the two.

Wake up, will ya pal? If you're not inside, you're outside, OK? And I'm not talking a $400,000 a year working Wall Street stiff flying first class and being comfortable, I'm talking about liquid. Rich enough to have your own jet. Rich enough not to waste time. Fifty, a hundred million dollars buddy. A player. - Gordon Gekko

Offline 7777

• RAWK Boxing Prediction League Champion 07
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We see things they'll never see
« Reply #483 on: January 31, 2006, 08:35:47 am »
Its an indication of how good the kid is. That right hand landed flush on his chin. Future World Champion no doubt

Offline Mirra

• The Cock of RAWK. desperately seeking two fat ladies. His ass found glass in the grass.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #484 on: January 31, 2006, 02:02:41 pm »
Think its a mix of the two aye. Hes looking good tho, coming along nicely

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #485 on: February 10, 2006, 09:54:00 pm »
http://search.espn.go.com/keyword/search?searchString=Floyd&page=multimedia&source=b_searchpg&ES_SUBMIT.x=33&ES_SUBMIT.y=3

Pretty Boy Floyd gets pissed off with a Interview guy ;D Quite funny as Floyd is wrong and I think he knows it

Offline SGTBabbel

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #486 on: February 11, 2006, 12:10:53 am »
Anyone like my new tattoo,
 got it done satdee, fucking kills now though  :(

nice!!!

Offline Cleary

• Smooth as babies bottoms
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll never walk alone
« Reply #487 on: February 11, 2006, 09:15:32 am »
nice!!!

fank you!
 Never wanted to scratch something so much in my life!
 I dont know how woman shave there legs!!!!
« Last Edit: March 1, 2006, 12:37:43 am by Cleary »
"Some people believe football is a matter of life and death. I am very disappionted with that attitude. I can assure you it is much more important than that"
 Bill Shankly

Offline Jai

• oh?
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh the carnage
« Reply #488 on: February 11, 2006, 07:21:15 pm »
Robert Morales: Morales ready to jump right back into ring

Erik Morales will not be retiring anytime soon, and he will be taking advantage of the rematch clause that was written into the contract for his fight against Manny Pacquiao on Jan. 21 in Las Vegas.
The day after Morales was stopped by Pacquiao in the 10th round of that fight, there was speculation that Morales, 29, might hang up his gloves after a long and successful career in which he has won world titles in three weight classes.

But Morales' promoter, Bob Arum, on Sunday said that a third fight between Tijuana's Morales and Pacquiao - each has a victory over the other - is a done deal for Sept. 16, which is Mexican Independence Day.

It will take place at Sam Boyd Stadium in Las Vegas, the home football field for the University of Nevada Las Vegas.

Their last fight was contested at the super featherweight limit of 130 pounds. The third fight will take place at 132.

"He called me and said he felt he knew what he did wrong in his preparation, that his legs gave out because of the weight problem," Arum said of Morales, who appeared exhausted when he was knocked down twice by Pacquiao in the fateful 10th round.

"He said he knew how to deal with that and that he wanted a chance to win the rubber match."

The Sept. 16 date is more than seven months away. Arum said Morales would not take an interim bout.

http://www.whittierdailynews.com/sports/ci_3489557

Offline the good half

• these days is hard to find so please be gentle with this half of mine
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #489 on: February 22, 2006, 03:53:41 pm »
Anybody know if the 3rd installment of the Corrales V Castillo fight is on. Remeber hearing it was for February 2006.

I cannot afford to miss this.

Offline Bronx Red

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #490 on: February 22, 2006, 08:10:17 pm »
Anybody know if the 3rd installment of the Corrales V Castillo fight is on. Remeber hearing it was for February 2006.

I cannot afford to miss this.

Not 100% sure but think it is reset for august

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #491 on: February 22, 2006, 09:54:08 pm »
Aye it got put back because Chico hurt his rib in training I think. Whats the next big fight anyway? Think Lacy vs Calzaghe is soon isnt it? Cant wait for that, hope Lacy proves to be the real deal. We'll find out if Calzaghe ever was the real deal as well since as far as i can remember, this is the first dangerous opponent hes ever faced!

Skelton vs Williams on Saturday, how exciting ;D Not sure about Skelton, never really been impressed by him. Or Williams for that matter, fair enough he knocked out Tyson, but that was a faded disinterested Tyson, we all know if it was the 80s model Williams wouldnt of lasted long at all. But still, cant take it away from him. He showed some bottle, but in his next fight vs Klitchko he got exposed. Hes far from world class, he was way way out of his depth that night. I still hope he can get a world title (whatever that means these days) because he does seem like a genuinely nice fella.

Offline Bronx Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #492 on: February 23, 2006, 01:35:43 am »
Mosley V Vargas coming up saturday night

Offline 7777

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #493 on: February 23, 2006, 09:15:40 am »
Aye it got put back because Chico hurt his rib in training I think. Whats the next big fight anyway? Think Lacy vs Calzaghe is soon isnt it? Cant wait for that, hope Lacy proves to be the real deal. We'll find out if Calzaghe ever was the real deal as well since as far as i can remember, this is the first dangerous opponent hes ever faced!

Skelton vs Williams on Saturday, how exciting ;D Not sure about Skelton, never really been impressed by him. Or Williams for that matter, fair enough he knocked out Tyson, but that was a faded disinterested Tyson, we all know if it was the 80s model Williams wouldnt of lasted long at all. But still, cant take it away from him. He showed some bottle, but in his next fight vs Klitchko he got exposed. Hes far from world class, he was way way out of his depth that night. I still hope he can get a world title (whatever that means these days) because he does seem like a genuinely nice fella.

4th March Calzaghe and Lacy, Khan on that bill aswell I think, would have been Nelson V Maccarinelli aswell but Johnny has done his ligaments, was looking forward to that aswell. Reminds me a bit of Taylor and Hopkins with the new kid on the block coming to take the crown.

BBC reporting Baldomir pricing himself put of the Hatton fight which is a shame because if Ricky manages to pull of being a two weight champion, it will make the fight against Mayweather all that tastier

Offline koolkopite

• Main Stander
« Reply #494 on: February 23, 2006, 09:27:47 am »
the fight against mayweather will be class

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #495 on: February 23, 2006, 03:25:26 pm »
Oh aye I forgot about Mosley vs Vargas. I dont know whats happened to Vargas, he used to be class. Vicious! But hes changed his whole style the last fight I seen from him and he isnt that exciting! Hes fight with Tito Trinidad was a classic Hope he can do Shane like.

I wish Hatton would hurry up and announce who hes going to fight next, getting a bit sick of all the speculation. Gatti is a waste of time so he should forget about that fight. Baldomir, aye hes the man who beat the man who beat the man. They should do their best to make that one. Then go after Floyd if he beats Zab Judah (Im not as confident of him doing it as everyone else seems to be) Zab is like a wounded animal right now and hes going to want to pull off the upset badly.

Offline Bronx Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #496 on: February 23, 2006, 05:28:40 pm »
Vargas seems to have lost his vicious streak or maybe thats just the effect the steriods had on him  ;).Steriods or not he still couldn't beat De la hoya

Offline 7777

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #497 on: February 24, 2006, 11:21:18 am »
Oh aye I forgot about Mosley vs Vargas. I dont know whats happened to Vargas, he used to be class. Vicious! But hes changed his whole style the last fight I seen from him and he isnt that exciting! Hes fight with Tito Trinidad was a classic Hope he can do Shane like.

I wish Hatton would hurry up and announce who hes going to fight next, getting a bit sick of all the speculation. Gatti is a waste of time so he should forget about that fight. Baldomir, aye hes the man who beat the man who beat the man. They should do their best to make that one. Then go after Floyd if he beats Zab Judah (Im not as confident of him doing it as everyone else seems to be) Zab is like a wounded animal right now and hes going to want to pull off the upset badly.

Heard Hattons next oppo could be Vivian Harris. Baldomir might not happen due to the TV row, think he has signed with Oscar so money is stopping that one. Would love it to though.

Good little vid here

Offline RedOT

• Kemlynite
« Reply #498 on: February 24, 2006, 12:13:02 pm »
Vargas and Mosley have a bet that they will pay the other $100,000 if they are ko'd should add abit more excitement to the fight because they wont be aiming for a points victory

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #499 on: February 24, 2006, 03:58:07 pm »
I cant see Mosley knocking out Vargas like. Shane used to be shit hot after his first fight with De La Hoya, i dont know what happened to him. He was one of the best P4P in the world. Even so , im hoping Vargas can KO him and get his career going again. I like the bloke.

Offline scouser4eva

• but is Eva4Scouser? Wants an old willy
  • Legacy Fan
  • " god wanted west ham to win but gerrard said no "
« Reply #500 on: February 25, 2006, 08:27:13 pm »
Any one no who is fighting on ITV tonight ?

Offline cork scouser

• Legacy Fan
  • Rafa will lead us to no. 19
« Reply #501 on: February 25, 2006, 08:31:49 pm »
Mosley V Vargas coming up saturday night
is this on tv?
Cork : European Capital of Culture 2005
Liverpool : European Capital of Culture 2008

Merge Cork and Liverpool into the sporting city. No one would touch us.

Offline cork scouser

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #502 on: February 25, 2006, 08:34:09 pm »
Sat 25th Feb
Big Fight Live
Skelton v D Williams
Khan v J Williams
ITV1 9.50pm

Sat 25th Feb
Big Fight Live
Mitchell v Djibaba
ITV4 11.20pm

Offline scouser4eva

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #503 on: February 25, 2006, 08:38:38 pm »
Sat 25th Feb
Big Fight Live
Skelton v D Williams
Khan v J Williams
ITV1 9.50pm

Sat 25th Feb
Big Fight Live
Mitchell v Djibaba
ITV4 11.20pm

tnx for that pal.

Offline cork scouser

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #504 on: February 25, 2006, 08:45:05 pm »
no worries.
Cant get ITV over here on sky digital unfortunately!

Offline -Gianni-

• Would have wood if Tiger Woods would
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #505 on: February 25, 2006, 08:47:29 pm »
Whos everyones fancy in the Williams Skelton match? Cant be muhcworse when Williams played Audley can it  :P

Will Khans match be another 1st rounder or is this guy any better?

Cheers
So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

Offline cork scouser

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #506 on: February 25, 2006, 09:00:21 pm »
Kahn is 1/100 !

I fancy Skelton to beat Williams. The heavyweight is such a piss poor division at present.

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #507 on: February 25, 2006, 09:40:47 pm »
Im going to go with Skeleton, was talking with a mate today and got thinking, Well we know Dannys level, he fell short of being word class. Can Skelton do any better? Hes a very hard man to beat if not exciting to watch. I fancy him in the later rounds.

Does anybody know what Danny weighed in at?

Offline scouser4eva

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #508 on: February 25, 2006, 10:12:39 pm »
Kahn won 3rd round.

Offline Fat Tony

• Run Rosie Run!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #509 on: February 25, 2006, 10:12:49 pm »
What a body shot that was, Ricky Hatton-esque.

Offline Alf Garnett!

• widely excepted yet secretly cryptic - cower ye before the mighty crusher of yellow walls. Video Embedder Extraordinaire
  • Legacy Fan
  • *Davo*It don't get better than this.
« Reply #510 on: February 25, 2006, 10:14:03 pm »
anyone ever seen the gatti vs ward trilogy?

Offline Cusamano

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Natural Police
« Reply #511 on: February 25, 2006, 10:20:07 pm »
What a body shot that was, Ricky Hatton-esque.

Great body shot, bit of a delayed reaction from jackson though...
Wake up, will ya pal? If you're not inside, you're outside, OK? And I'm not talking a $400,000 a year working Wall Street stiff flying first class and being comfortable, I'm talking about liquid. Rich enough to have your own jet. Rich enough not to waste time. Fifty, a hundred million dollars buddy. A player. - Gordon Gekko

Offline scouser4eva

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #512 on: February 25, 2006, 10:25:23 pm »
Williams or Skelton???

I'm going for Skelton.

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #513 on: February 26, 2006, 12:54:38 am »
anyone ever seen the gatti vs ward trilogy?

Aye it was class. Would love to of seen Hatton vs Ward when Ward was in his prime. That would of been a classic. I met Mickey Ward very briefly when he fought Shea Neary, he was a top bloke. Class act

Khan did well but I didnt like the way he was complaining to the ref. Any of his rivals watching that will of picked up on it and those who are good enough to do it (and there is a lot at the minute let me tell you) will try to frustrate him for a few rounds. Maybe its just with him being young, maybe he'll grow out of it. Decent performance though, nice body shot as someone already pointed out. When you get hit there you feel fine at first, then take a breath and it fucks you up. Body shots are the most painful thing in boxing.

Whilst it was a decent brawl, i found the heavyweights a bit depressing. Is that the best we have to offer? Duke McKenzie, a bloke I respect very highly as both a fighter and a person said they were both in tip top condition. Christ Duke, what was that you said? As ive said before, the heavyweight champion of the world always has an aura about him that makes you think he could take anyone he wanted out, someone that you just look at and go wow. Like Ali, Like Tyson and tons of others. But seeing these two fellas, especially all 19stone of Williams saddens me. If it was upto me id put a weight limit on the heavys. No longer are they the great athletes of yester year. The division has gone so far back in the last 15 years even. Nevermind 20 or 30 years ago, imagine either of them being in with a Riddick Bowe, or a Razor Ruddock, a prime Mike Tyson, a Evander Holyfield at his best? They wouldnt last! Heavyweight boxing is dead if you ask me.

And Naz! I thought you were in training for a comeback! Hes still looking a lot overweight to me.

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #514 on: February 26, 2006, 01:24:33 am »
P.S if theres any fighters here, or ex fighters, trainers or whatever. Id be interested to hear what you think of losing water weight, with a bin liner or sweat suit on under your clothes while running etc. Just trying to get a few diff opinions on it, how dangerous it is and everything. I know some people go over the top with it and dry out as much as 14lbs in a really really short space of time. But what are your thoughts on it?
Cheers

Offline Disintegration

• Legacy Fan
  • Kicking Against The Pricks
    • Attempted blog, didn't last long. As always.
« Reply #515 on: February 26, 2006, 01:28:22 am »
It really does look as though Lennox Lewis was the last of the great heavyweights, at least for the next few years.

It's a sad state of affairs, because in the past there's always been a true great ready to inherit the throne...After Ali there was Holmes, after Holmes came Tyson, after Tyson came Holyfield, after Holyfield came Lewis...after Lewis the best we got was an injury ridden Vitali Klitschko.

Perhaps it's down to the decline in boxing's popularity - to be a great heavyweight, more than in other divisions, you need rare physical tools...it's not enough to simply be an excellent boxer.

A prominent American commentator was asked not long ago where the next great heavyweight is - he replied "playing NFL / College football somewhere". Sadly, I think he may have hit the nail on the head.

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #516 on: February 26, 2006, 01:43:31 am »
It really does look as though Lennox Lewis was the last of the great heavyweights, at least for the next few years.

It's a sad state of affairs, because in the past there's always been a true great ready to inherit the throne...After Ali there was Holmes, after Holmes came Tyson, after Tyson came Holyfield, after Holyfield came Lewis...after Lewis the best we got was an injury ridden Vitali Klitschko.

Perhaps it's down to the decline in boxing's popularity - to be a great heavyweight, more than in other divisions, you need rare physical tools...it's not enough to simply be an excellent boxer.

A prominent American commentator was asked not long ago where the next great heavyweight is - he replied "playing NFL / College football somewhere". Sadly, I think he may have hit the nail on the head.

It seems that way at the minute doesnt it? Sad really. I think though a lot of the problem is, theres more belts than there is decent fighters. I read an article from the Ring magazines website and it said we should do away with all these different versions of belts and have one. One belt per weight class. Then we would know who the man was, and who all the other up and comers would have to try and get it from. Id be all for that but would it ever really happen? I cant see it anytime soon. Too much money around. Seems anyone can be a champion these days.

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #517 on: February 28, 2006, 04:50:22 pm »
Ouch, just seen Vargas's eye after the Mosley fight. Jesus! Anyone else see it?

Offline 7777

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #518 on: February 28, 2006, 09:04:59 pm »
Ouch, just seen Vargas's eye after the Mosley fight. Jesus! Anyone else see it?

Hopefully watch it this weekend, like watching Moseley fight. Looking forward to Calzaghe-Lacy and Macarinelli-Hobson aswell, good weekends boxing

Offline Cleary

• Smooth as babies bottoms
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll never walk alone
« Reply #519 on: March 1, 2006, 12:44:08 am »
Well, Ive got to say, I think Danny Williams is a penis!!!!
 lol I know Ive just got back from the pub, but Skelton pissed on him Satdee night!
 Williams is only were he is today because he beat "TYSON" woopy doo, my nan could have beat tyson the night DW did!
Iron Mike should have given up when he was at the top! but enough of that!
 heavyweight at the mo is pure crap!

I really need to stop drinking  :duh
« Last Edit: March 1, 2006, 07:41:32 am by Cleary »
"Some people believe football is a matter of life and death. I am very disappionted with that attitude. I can assure you it is much more important than that"
 Bill Shankly