Author Topic: Turkey/Syria earthquake  (Read 4734 times)

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
Turkey/Syria earthquake
« on: February 6, 2023, 08:51:46 am »
Absolutely fucking awful scenes.

At least 600 confirmed dead (and given a lot of the areas affected in Syria are in opposition held areas that won’t naturally make it into official govt figures it could be higher). Absolutely horrific.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
Re: Turkey/Syria earthquake
« Reply #1 on: February 6, 2023, 10:31:57 am »
Absolutely fucking awful scenes.

At least 600 confirmed dead (and given a lot of the areas affected in Syria are in opposition held areas that won’t naturally make it into official govt figures it could be higher). Absolutely horrific.

Horrendous.

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: February 6, 2023, 10:49:38 am »
Scary. RIP to those lost.

Online Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #3 on: February 6, 2023, 11:27:54 am »
2 earthquakes, one just an hour ago. Already more than 1000 dead. Going to be many more to be found and life changing injuries for a lot of survivors.

Awful  :(
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: February 6, 2023, 12:01:56 pm »
Absolutely dreadful.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5 on: February 6, 2023, 12:55:50 pm »
Absolutely awful. 

RIP to all concerned.

Offline Rhi

• Rhisuscitated
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: February 6, 2023, 01:06:54 pm »
There are no words. RIP :(
“Above all, I would like to be remembered as a man who was selfless, who strove and worried so that others could share the glory, and who built up a family of people who could hold their heads up high and say 'We're Liverpool'.” - Bill Shankly

Offline stevieG786

• Prefers bottom.
  • Legacy Fan
  • AWWW YA BEAUTY!!
« Reply #7 on: February 6, 2023, 01:15:16 pm »
Heartbreaking man, the videos on social media are awful  :'(

Inna Lillahi Wa Inna Illahi Raji'un

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #8 on: February 6, 2023, 01:17:45 pm »
Those poor poor people.

Such devastation.

It’s almost incomprehensible that it could happen
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: February 6, 2023, 01:37:19 pm »
Former Everton player Christian Atsu 'trapped under rubble' in Turkish earthquake, say reports
According to reports in Turkey Atsu, who now plays for Hatayspor in Turkey, is among those trapped under rubble

www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/former-everton-player-christian-atsu-26167646

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Red Ol

• 82 years in this crazy world and still plays with Lego
  • Legacy Fan
  • Children of the night. What music they make.
« Reply #10 on: February 6, 2023, 01:59:34 pm »
Terrible … got the rolling news on and the numbers of approx’ dead rising by 100 or seemingly every half hour.

RIP to the hundreds (probably more than 2,000 when the numbers are truly understood)
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #11 on: February 6, 2023, 02:05:32 pm »
Thoughts with anyone connected to this. Sounds dreadful.

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: February 6, 2023, 03:00:36 pm »
There are still smaller earthquakes in that region every 20 minutes or so. Still magnitude 4 - 5, you definitively feel that, and it will make searching the destroyed buildings even more hazardous.

The region lies on top of a major fault, it's so sad that lots of the buildings didn't seem made for it.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #13 on: February 6, 2023, 05:57:12 pm »
This is absolutely awful, condolences to everyone concerned a very tragic day.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Online Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: February 6, 2023, 07:56:28 pm »
There are still smaller earthquakes in that region every 20 minutes or so. Still magnitude 4 - 5, you definitively feel that, and it will make searching the destroyed buildings even more hazardous.

The region lies on top of a major fault, it's so sad that lots of the buildings didn't seem made for it.

That's the difference between rich and poorer countries.  If this happened in California or Japan, the number of fatalities would be far less (if any).
« Last Edit: February 6, 2023, 08:23:41 pm by Red-Soldier »

Offline Livbes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: February 6, 2023, 08:20:32 pm »
Some of my colleagues were in Ankara last night and were due to travel to Adana today to visit customers. They've returned to Dubai this evening.

Another colleague from Istanbul is saying over 20,000 unaccounted for in Turkey alone. Syria could be even higher. Horrendous.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #16 on: February 6, 2023, 09:38:26 pm »
Absolutely horrendous. Just donated to Oxfam after seeing some of the footage. RIP to everyone who has lost their life, the numbers are going to get so much higher as well. :(
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #17 on: February 6, 2023, 09:41:34 pm »
Absolutely horrendous. Just donated to Oxfam after seeing some of the footage. RIP to everyone who has lost their life, the numbers are going to get so much higher as well. :(

Thanks for mentioning that, just done the same. I just don't have the heart to see any footage it's just too awful to think about.  :(
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: February 6, 2023, 09:44:21 pm »
Horrible stuff coming out of there, apparently loads still trapped under the rubble, mostly Syrian refugees. Worst earthquake in the area since around 1530, hope for the best for everyone there.

Construction companies seem to be getting some stick online as the buildings are crumbling very easily when you take into account it's on a fault line.

Offline Livbes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: February 6, 2023, 10:03:56 pm »
Sounds like Atsu the former Newcastle and Everton player has been found in the rubble. Still alive.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: February 6, 2023, 10:11:00 pm »
Awful this. RIP to those lost.

Inna Lillahi Wa Inna Illahi Raji'un.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline deano2727

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: February 6, 2023, 10:13:20 pm »
Tragic. Thoughts with those who died and those who lost loved ones and are sitting out in the cold.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #22 on: February 6, 2023, 10:33:10 pm »
Saw the breaking news alerts but only just seen this on the news now. Awful. RIP. Hope they can keep finding more survivors in the rubble.

Offline spen71

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: February 7, 2023, 09:16:45 pm »
Over 7000 confirmed so far.     The figure goes up hourly

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: February 7, 2023, 09:57:21 pm »
Over 7000 confirmed so far.     The figure goes up hourly

That is horrendous.

Jurgen YNWA

Offline Machae

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: February 8, 2023, 09:41:37 am »
Very upsetting news and hope they get all the help and support they need. Pictures and videos of the event and aftermath have been harrowing. Saw a video of a father who lost 11 members of his family, another picture of a young girl who acted as a human shield for her baby brother in the rubble

Then you have scum like Charlie Hebdo who revel and mock those in misfortune

Online Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #26 on: February 8, 2023, 09:48:58 am »
That is horrendous.

Going to be a lot worse, they are predicting close to 20,000 across Syria and Turkey as a total. 

Christian Atsu who played in England for Everton and Chelsea was found, however a second division goalie, Ahmet Turkaslan, was unfortunately killed. Lots of videos of rescue teams reaching kids and families. Hopefully more and more are found before it's too late, with the arrival of some of the international rescue experts in the coming days.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: February 8, 2023, 10:12:09 am »
Going to be a lot worse, they are predicting close to 20,000 across Syria and Turkey as a total. 

Christian Atsu who played in England for Everton and Chelsea was found, however a second division goalie, Ahmet Turkaslan, was unfortunately killed. Lots of videos of rescue teams reaching kids and families. Hopefully more and more are found before it's too late, with the arrival of some of the international rescue experts in the coming days.

The c*nts like Frottage and Patel will be kicking off soon about the UK taking in victims of this disaster, they'll be trying to get them sent to Rwanda
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Trump's tiny tiny hands

• Legacy Fan
  • Building steam with a grain of salt
« Reply #28 on: February 8, 2023, 11:24:55 am »
11,000 confirmed now. Staggering numbers.

I remember my friend that worked for the Civil Response team in Wellington saying that their worse case scenario model predicted ~10,000 dead if a big one hit Wellington at lunchtime. As was much the case in the Christchurch earthquake, the older buildings have brick facades that are designed to fall outwards. Unlike Christchurch, Wellington's central business area is much more dense, with a greater concentration of high rise buildings in far more mountainous conditions. That is thousands predicted to be dead in a place with many buildings now built to withstand big tremors.

Online Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: February 8, 2023, 12:10:37 pm »
11,000 confirmed now. Staggering numbers.

I remember my friend that worked for the Civil Response team in Wellington saying that their worse case scenario model predicted ~10,000 dead if a big one hit Wellington at lunchtime. As was much the case in the Christchurch earthquake, the older buildings have brick facades that are designed to fall outwards. Unlike Christchurch, Wellington's central business area is much more dense, with a greater concentration of high rise buildings in far more mountainous conditions. That is thousands predicted to be dead in a place with many buildings now built to withstand big tremors.

Could be double that figure.

The buildings make all the difference really.  If they are earthquake resistant, then the fatalities will be pretty low, considering.  You've got no chance when the buildings are like the ones we've seen here.

Offline sheepfest

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #30 on: February 8, 2023, 12:12:55 pm »
Awful numbers and heartbreaking scenes of using any kind of tool to dig in the rubble.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: February 8, 2023, 04:10:41 pm »
As criticism of Erdogan's slovenly response to the earthquake grows, Erdogan's response is typical dictator behaviour. He's blocked Twitter across the country.

Instead of addressing the real problem, the religio-fascist is trying to stop criticism in the affected areas from spreading to regions that will impact his electoral support.

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #32 on: February 8, 2023, 04:40:02 pm »
As criticism of Erdogan's slovenly response to the earthquake grows, Erdogan's response is typical dictator behaviour. He's blocked Twitter across the country.

Instead of addressing the real problem, the religio-fascist is trying to stop criticism in the affected areas from spreading to regions that will impact his electoral support.

shocking - pure evil
Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline NCrawley

• Kopite
« Reply #33 on: February 8, 2023, 04:41:56 pm »
Sounds like Atsu the former Newcastle and Everton player has been found in the rubble. Still alive.

Now saying this wasn’t true and he’s still missing

Online Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: February 8, 2023, 04:45:46 pm »

Dictator in being an arsehole shocker.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #35 on: February 8, 2023, 04:56:34 pm »

Mind blowing
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: February 9, 2023, 11:20:22 am »
Increasing anger about construction corners being cut, with buildings being officially labelled earthquake-proof crumbling like sandcastles. Cheap materials, corruption by officials signing them off, required safety-measures omitted.

If any good could come from this, it's that the religio-fascist Erdogan loses power. But he's like a cockroach and it wouldn't surprise me if this just strengthened his dictatorial grip.

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #37 on: February 9, 2023, 11:58:30 am »
Increasing anger about construction corners being cut, with buildings being officially labelled earthquake-proof crumbling like sandcastles. Cheap materials, corruption by officials signing them off, required safety-measures omitted.

If any good could come from this, it's that the religio-fascist Erdogan loses power. But he's like a cockroach and it wouldn't surprise me if this just strengthened his dictatorial grip.

My wife's from Chile, and the first thing she asked is how can a country situated on a fault-line have no culture of preparing for earthquakes. It's a good question and one I couldn't answer. It's not like earthquakes are a rarity in that part of the Med.
« Last Edit: February 9, 2023, 12:01:46 pm by Indomitable_Carp »

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #38 on: February 9, 2023, 12:01:54 pm »
Been stupidly busy the last few weeks, so this barely registered, but saw the scenes last night.

Love going to Turkey and it's a wonderful country with great people.

So heart rending to see what's happened and the death toll is utterly horrific.

Really nothing you can say :(
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Rawkybalboa

• "I wouldn't have a clue..."
  • No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
  • somebody puts his hand on u, send him2the grave
« Reply #39 on: February 9, 2023, 01:39:08 pm »
Some really sad pictures coming out about the loss and suffering. Hope the international community can just pause all things and all get together to help.