Author Topic: Liverpool's Blitz  (Read 1600 times)

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Let them hate me, as long as they respect me"
Liverpool's Blitz
« on: December 20, 2019, 10:42:35 pm »
79 years ago this night, hundreds of Liverpudlians were killed on the bloodiest night of Liverpool's blitz, at least 72 of them in one block of Blackstock Gardens. We will remember them.
http://liverpoolremembrance.weebly.com/blackstock-shelter.html
In a free state there should be freedom of speech and thought.
 Tiberius Caesar Augustus,
Roman Emperor & General (42 BC - 37 AD)

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Liverpool's Blitz
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2019, 08:51:39 am »
79 years ago this night, hundreds of Liverpudlians were killed on the bloodiest night of Liverpool's blitz, at least 72 of them in one block of Blackstock Gardens. We will remember them.
http://liverpoolremembrance.weebly.com/blackstock-shelter.html

Awful times - I really am shocked that I was ever even born, as I can imagine thousands of us are. I've no idea where they were in 1940, but I know both of my Grandads went off fighting in the Desert, my Mums Mum and older sisters were living in Everton and got bombed out at least twice from what I remember. My Dads mum lived off Scotty - the family was in Green Street in the late 1800's and stayed in the area and she had two girls at the time. When you see that the Luftwaffe just dropped bombs all over the City, it was sheer luck and timing that kept them alive.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline exilescouse

• Lack sufficient letters for real testicles.....
  • Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2 on: January 3, 2020, 09:31:15 am »
Awful times - I really am shocked that I was ever even born, as I can imagine thousands of us are. I've no idea where they were in 1940, but I know both of my Grandads went off fighting in the Desert, my Mums Mum and older sisters were living in Everton and got bombed out at least twice from what I remember. My Dads mum lived off Scotty - the family was in Green Street in the late 1800's and stayed in the area and she had two girls at the time. When you see that the Luftwaffe just dropped bombs all over the City, it was sheer luck and timing that kept them alive.

My grandad was in North Africa, my Aunties were evacuated but my mum stayed home in Tuebrook with my nana as she was only born in 38, she has memories of the bombings. Also the railway that still exists through Tuebrook, and ammunition train exploded one night on those tracks and their old radio was blown through the front window of the house with the force of the blast even though they were close to Maiden Lane.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: January 4, 2020, 07:46:32 pm »
My grandad was in North Africa, my Aunties were evacuated but my mum stayed home in Tuebrook with my nana as she was only born in 38, she has memories of the bombings. Also the railway that still exists through Tuebrook, and ammunition train exploded one night on those tracks and their old radio was blown through the front window of the house with the force of the blast even though they were close to Maiden Lane.

I've got one photo of my Mums Dad in his uniform, wish I had some of both of them in their uniforms.

My Mum told me that one time my Nan and my aunties Flo and Joan had not long left the house when a bomb flattened it, another time my Grandad was blown up the stairs when the house opposite was hit. My Nan was terrified of thunder until she died, my Mum once found her me and our kid hiding in the cupboard during a storm, she'd dragged us in there. My Mum never grasped it, but it was obviously that she was thinking of the noise of the bombs.
Jurgen YNWA