Author Topic: Dave's TV Snobbery Topic with added Low Brow Self Indulgences  (Read 1235133 times)

Online gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
Re: Dave's TV Snobbery Topic with added Low Brow Self Indulgences
« Reply #360 on: June 8, 2012, 01:55:27 pm »
Deadwood and Justified.
AHA!

Online Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #361 on: June 13, 2012, 01:34:39 pm »
This isn't new, but I watched three episodes of Extras last night. I don't think I laughed out loud once, but still enjoyed it far more than I thought I would.Worth a go, at least the first three.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline lfc786

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #362 on: June 13, 2012, 09:57:41 pm »
friday night lights fucking quality.

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #363 on: June 14, 2012, 10:16:34 am »
it's certainly not Dallas 2012 :D

Offline Ginamos

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #364 on: June 16, 2012, 05:06:08 pm »
Just downloaded Continuum,hope its a good one
Just watched it and it has the potential to be a great series. I've always loved time travel so might give this series a go. Plus Rachel Nichols is super hot!  :lickin

Just watched the first three episodes of Continuum. Enjoyed it, not exactly taxing on the brain, but good entertainment.

Spoiler
Seeing as Rachel Nichols is fighting on the side of the Corporations, I assume she'll turn at some point, that'll be interesting.
[close]

Offline JoeCole

• Spoiler!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #365 on: June 17, 2012, 02:35:44 am »
Looking to get into something else while Game of Thrones is on a break. I was thinking about Mad Men and The Walking Dead, is there anyone here who watches both? Which is better?

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #366 on: June 17, 2012, 03:42:58 pm »
Looking to get into something else while Game of Thrones is on a break. I was thinking about Mad Men and The Walking Dead, is there anyone here who watches both? Which is better?
Depends. Mad Men might bore the shit out of you. It's one of those shows that starts off really slow, and some might argue that not a hell of a lot actually happens. One for the "artsy" types, although I do like it, but I really don't think it's all that it's cracked up to be.  The Walking Dead is utterly unique in the fact that it's zombies, horror and a TV show. There's really nothing else out there that's like it. Some may argue the same that it can be boring and not a hell of a lot happens (half of season 2 is a prime example of that argument) but I found it consistently entertaining, and the zombies and effects are better than most big screen ventures of the same genre. They really are fantastically well done. The writing, acting and characters wobbles at times, but it's nothing that can't be overlooked (this is fiction with zombies we're talking about here). The finale of last season has only been matched by Game of Thrones in terms of production. At times it feels like you're watching a short film rather than a TV show, much like GoT does. Give TWD a try first before sinking your noggin into Mad Men.

Offline Beav

• Football is impatient. Loves Vader's Helmet.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #367 on: June 17, 2012, 04:46:15 pm »
Any recommendations for a decent show that I can just dip in and out with.

Got Dexter on at the moment which occupies my watching time at night with the missus, but need something else for when I'm off work some days.

Used to watch House, Suits and Archer but House has finished and the others are between series'
 Don't mind if it's a comedy or drama, but would just like something I can flick on and enjoy.
Twitter:  http://twitter.com/__Beav

Ah. Another Manchester United fan crashes out from the woodwork like a bemused koala that has taken three hits of crystal meth.

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #368 on: June 17, 2012, 06:07:52 pm »

Got Dexter on at the moment which occupies my watching time at night with the missus, but need something else for when I'm off work some days.

Used to watch House, Suits and Archer but House has finished and the others are between series'
 Don't mind if it's a comedy or drama, but would just like something I can flick on and enjoy.
I always recommend Braquo to people looking for a new show.To compare it to a show most people have seen,I'd say it's like The Shield,except it's French and much,much better.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1429534/

Exercise is to the body what reading is to the mind.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline Ginamos

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #369 on: June 17, 2012, 06:14:10 pm »
I always recommend Braquo to people looking for a new show.To compare it to a show most people have seen,I'd say it's like The Shield,except it's French and much,much better.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1429534/

Better than The Shield? High praise indeed.

Cheers, I'll give it a go.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #370 on: June 17, 2012, 06:30:12 pm »

Watched BSG yet?

Online Danyaals Kop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • allez les rouges
« Reply #371 on: June 17, 2012, 06:32:55 pm »
I've decided to start watching The Wire now that my break started.

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #373 on: June 17, 2012, 06:56:29 pm »
Better than The Shield? High praise indeed.

Cheers, I'll give it a go.
It's very similar to 36,which was also directed by Olvier Marchal,the creator of Braquo.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0390808/

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #374 on: June 17, 2012, 06:57:38 pm »
Watched BSG yet?
What's the second series of TWD been like?

Offline JoeCole

• Spoiler!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #375 on: June 17, 2012, 07:11:26 pm »
Depends. Mad Men might bore the shit out of you. It's one of those shows that starts off really slow, and some might argue that not a hell of a lot actually happens. One for the "artsy" types, although I do like it, but I really don't think it's all that it's cracked up to be.  The Walking Dead is utterly unique in the fact that it's zombies, horror and a TV show. There's really nothing else out there that's like it. Some may argue the same that it can be boring and not a hell of a lot happens (half of season 2 is a prime example of that argument) but I found it consistently entertaining, and the zombies and effects are better than most big screen ventures of the same genre. They really are fantastically well done. The writing, acting and characters wobbles at times, but it's nothing that can't be overlooked (this is fiction with zombies we're talking about here). The finale of last season has only been matched by Game of Thrones in terms of production. At times it feels like you're watching a short film rather than a TV show, much like GoT does. Give TWD a try first before sinking your noggin into Mad Men.

Haven't got a problem with things being slow paced, The Wire is probably the best thing I've ever watched. Thanks for all that info, will hopefully get around to starting TWD tomorrow.

Offline Beav

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #376 on: June 17, 2012, 07:15:22 pm »
Watched BSG yet?

What's that?

Or Firefly?

One of my all time favourite shows.

Ah. Another Manchester United fan crashes out from the woodwork like a bemused koala that has taken three hits of crystal meth.

Offline wz4jc3

• Legacy Fan
  • 'You'll Never Walk Alone.'
    • Teach Maths
« Reply #377 on: June 17, 2012, 07:21:49 pm »
I've decided to start watching The Wire now that my break started.
I hope you do better than I did. I only lasted until half way through the second series. :-(

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #378 on: June 17, 2012, 07:29:08 pm »
What's that?

One of my all time favourite shows.
Battlestar Galactica?

Mine also.Bastard fox.

Offline Ginamos

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #379 on: June 17, 2012, 07:31:07 pm »

Baled after the first season of The Walking Dead, presumably the second season is better.

From reading the threads I know you're a fan of the graphic novel (which I've read a bit of). So worth getting back into Season Two?

Offline Beav

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #380 on: June 17, 2012, 08:02:14 pm »
Battlestar Galactica?

Mine also.Bastard fox.

Ahh, never got into it, but I like my sci-fi stuff. Might watch that and Farscape while I'm at it.

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #381 on: June 17, 2012, 09:42:26 pm »
Ahh, never got into it, but I like my sci-fi stuff. Might watch that and Farscape while I'm at it.
This is a free download of a Firefly book written by Steven Brust.Also his Wiki page.

http://manybooks.net/titles/brustsother08my_own_kind_of_freedom.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_Brust

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #382 on: June 17, 2012, 11:58:58 pm »
Baled after the first season of The Walking Dead, presumably the second season is better.

From reading the threads I know you're a fan of the graphic novel (which I've read a bit of). So worth getting back into Season Two?
Absolutely, yes, it's worth getting back into season 2. The first half of it is a bit ponderous in spells, although it does pick up pace quiet a bit in the second half leading up to a brilliant finale. 3rd season should be a belter.

Offline Mr Dilkington

• would rather be too cold than too hot
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never buy the Sun
    • www.level3football.com
« Reply #383 on: June 18, 2012, 02:37:10 am »
MadMen.
You change all the lead, sleeping in my head, as the day grows dim, I hear you sing a golden hymn.

Offline Art Vandelay

• a.k.a. Terry Gilliam
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #384 on: June 18, 2012, 08:38:56 pm »
This looks like it might be decent....

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/wC8ovJYAU3U?version=3" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/wC8ovJYAU3U?version=3</a>
"And on the pedestal these words appear: 'My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings: Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!' Nothing beside remains."

Offline Agger

• Do Do Do.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #385 on: June 18, 2012, 10:04:39 pm »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/wC8ovJYAU3U?version=3" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/wC8ovJYAU3U?version=3</a>

I've heard exciting things about this and am looking forward to it. However, the trailer didn't tickle my balls very much.
If there was ever a reason for human cloning, Steven Gerrard is it.

Offline danwms

• Legacy Fan
  • Walking through the storm.
    • Last FM
« Reply #386 on: June 19, 2012, 01:37:49 pm »
Mad Men is a million times better than the walking dead.

Its up there with the wire IMO

Offline doc_antonio

• Legacy Fan
  • Always look on the bright side of life
« Reply #387 on: June 19, 2012, 01:39:35 pm »
Once Upon a Time... watched a few episodes last night, found it hilarious.
"When I’ve got nothing better to do, I look down the league table to see how Everton are getting along." - Bill Shankly

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #388 on: June 19, 2012, 02:05:48 pm »
Mad Men is a million times better than the walking dead.

Its up there with the wire IMO
Really that's subject to opinion and you really can't compare the two given they are two distinct genres. If you like horror, then you'll prefer TWD. Simple, really.

Offline Bob Loblaw

• Could be John Giles, or his agent.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #389 on: June 19, 2012, 02:11:39 pm »

Game of Thrones wont be back for ages, you could probably squeeze both in. Chalk and cheese anyway.

Like the first season it has it's moments. But it's more of the same really: ponderous plot, wooden acting and cheesy dialogue.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 02:14:17 pm by Bob Loblaw »

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #390 on: June 20, 2012, 07:03:57 pm »
I have one here.Not new but not shown in the UK.Danish police series,3 season's.And for anyone interested in it it's on Pirate Bay.

http://thepiratebay.se/torrent/6378331/The_Eagle_(Ornen__en_Krimi-Odysse)_(Multisub)_-S1-_3

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0383164/

Online .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #391 on: June 21, 2012, 11:50:39 am »
Watched the first episode of Game of Thrones last night as I'm looking for something new to get in to. Didn't enjoy it at all, not sure it's for me. Any afficionados out there - is it a series that grows on you?

The graituitous nudity was nice, mind.

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #392 on: June 22, 2012, 02:05:19 pm »
Wilfred is back.Season 2 ep 1 is here.Oh hell yes.................

http://extratorrent.com/torrent_download/2723155/Wilfred+US+S02E01+HDTV+XviD-AFG%5Bettv%5D.torrent

Offline ConqueredAllOfEurope

• Shit, just realised I can have a custom title...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #393 on: June 23, 2012, 01:37:52 pm »
Downloaded the whole 1st season of Homeland, got picked up for a 2nd season so it must be decent.

Anyone here seen it? Any good?
"We have to change from doubter to believer... now"

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
« Reply #394 on: June 23, 2012, 01:44:04 pm »
Downloaded the whole 1st season of Homeland, got picked up for a 2nd season so it must be decent.

Anyone here seen it? Any good?

I love it. Solid 8/10.

Offline rob1408

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #395 on: June 23, 2012, 01:54:51 pm »
Really that's subject to opinion and you really can't compare the two given they are two distinct genres. If you like horror, then you'll prefer TWD. Simple, really.

Not at all, in any way.  Im a huge horror fan, I have about 1000 DVDs, 90% horror, from all decades.

Romero is my god, not just for his 'dead' films, but also for The Crazies and especially Martin.  I was looking forward to The Walking Dead, but it's just dull, the writing is flat.

Mad Men on the other hand, is superb and is up there with The Wire.

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #396 on: June 23, 2012, 02:02:27 pm »
I have one here.Not new but not shown in the UK.Danish police series,3 season's.And for anyone interested in it it's on Pirate Bay.

http://thepiratebay.se/torrent/6378331/The_Eagle_(Ornen__en_Krimi-Odysse)_(Multisub)_-S1-_3

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0383164/
Watched the first season of this,and it was really good,the usual high standard's we're all used to from Danish tv.

It's a lot like The Wire,it's about a unit set up to combat cross border,international crime,the lead police is the main character,Hallgrim(The Eagle) is areally well written character,as are all the other's.

In a subplot Hallgrim has to deal with flashback's to his childhood in Iceland.

I put the first season on just to see what it was like,and ended up watching 5 hour's,it was that good,I just had to know what was going to happen next.

It's a really good show,well worth a look.

Offline Acaustiq

• Statistically the biggest dick waver and has quotes to prove it. Bitter revisionist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Finally, Danone Actimel cured him.
« Reply #397 on: June 23, 2012, 04:32:34 pm »

Learnt his lesson with network television then, if only Studio 60 had been on HBO.
When your Mum used to pick you up from school and you'd run out and be like 'Mummy I got 9/10 in the spelling test today', would she go 'phenomenal, son'.

Cos if she did she's a stupid fuck.

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #398 on: June 23, 2012, 06:04:51 pm »
Not at all, in any way.  Im a huge horror fan, I have about 1000 DVDs, 90% horror, from all decades.

Romero is my god, not just for his 'dead' films, but also for The Crazies and especially Martin.  I was looking forward to The Walking Dead, but it's just dull, the writing is flat.

Mad Men on the other hand, is superb and is up there with The Wire.
That's where I beg to differ. As I say, it's opinion. I love horror and the zombie genre, but I personally think Romero is as overrated as anyone gets. Aside from his first three films, he's really exposed himself for not being very good at all. I'd go as far as to say that if it weren't for the excellent special effects crew that worked on Dawn and Day (which work on TWD), then he'd have been found out a lot quicker. Some of his latest offerings are atrocious.

Offline stevedo

• Lacks Emotion.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muddling through.
  • Super Title: Corbyn Circle Jerker
« Reply #399 on: June 23, 2012, 09:28:43 pm »
friday night lights fucking quality.
Good shout that.