Author Topic: Arsenal  (Read 5738680 times)

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: General Arsenal Thread
« Reply #43680 on: April 16, 2017, 07:00:25 pm »
Of course. I certainly wouldn't expect the same 11 week in week out. But getting a better player than what we have already means what we have already become the ones to slot in here and there rather than Oxlade Chamberlain. All easy as fuck to do on a computer game though isn't it  ;D
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43681 on: April 16, 2017, 07:03:52 pm »
Signing a top centre-back this summer is high on the to-do list with Southampton’s Virgil van Dijk a leading target and Napoli’s Kalidou Koulibaly also of interest, while Naby Keita is being pursued to add dynamism in midfield.

Julian Brandt is currently the club’s preferred wide forward target, while Fulham’s sought-after 16-year-old sensation Ryan Sessegnon is viewed as the left flank’s equivalent to Trent Alexander-Arnold.

Should Liverpool manage much of their principle business, it is understood that a move for Oxlade-Chamberlain would be more likely to supplement the incomings.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/8/main/2017/04/16/34650062/arsenals-oxlade-chamberlain-could-move-to-liverpool-but-not

I really hope that the part about Naby Keita is true. I watched him on several occasions this season, and he definitely has superstar potential. It would be amazing if Klopp can get him this summer.

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #43682 on: April 16, 2017, 07:05:33 pm »
I'd much prefer us to target players that improve our best starting 11. He simply doesn't do that. Feels like we've been improving the squad for years rather than improving the best 11.

I don't think that's true, it may well have been in previous seasons though.

If we get another 3 who instantly improve the first 11 like we did last summer with Mane, Gini and Matip, then we will be doing fine. Added to the fact that they players they are then pushing out of being regular starters now, will be strengthening the squad.

I doubt Oxlaide if he is actually a target, is seen so much as a first 11 player, more a very versatile squad player. But that's probably a reason he may not be keen on the move, cos he wouldn't be a sure starter here either.

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43683 on: April 16, 2017, 07:07:19 pm »
I don't think that's true, it may well have been in previous seasons though.

If we get another 3 who instantly improve the first 11 like we did last summer with Mane, Gini and Matip, then we will be doing fine. Added to the fact that they players they are then pushing out of being regular starters now, will be strengthening the squad.

I doubt Oxlaide if he is actually a target, is seen so much as a first 11 player, more a very versatile squad player. But that's probably a reason he may not be keen on the move, cos he wouldn't be a sure starter here either.

Yes, that's what I said  ;D

Of course. I certainly wouldn't expect the same 11 week in week out. But getting a better player than what we have already means what we have already become the ones to slot in here and there rather than Oxlade Chamberlain. All easy as fuck to do on a computer game though isn't it  ;D
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline thelinnen

• Tepid Water Lite. Serial Moaner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #43684 on: April 16, 2017, 07:12:41 pm »
Then in the midddle out pops a smiling glen johnson pulling up his jersey to reveal a t-shirt of suarez with a text saying. "OUR SUAREZ IS A FRIEND TO ALL COLOURS!"

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43685 on: April 16, 2017, 07:17:47 pm »
We're not signing James Rodriguez.

What about Hamezz Rodrrriguez?

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43686 on: April 16, 2017, 07:25:17 pm »

Piece of piss this management lark ;D

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #43687 on: April 16, 2017, 07:27:08 pm »
We're not signing James Rodriguez.
Most likely not, but I mentioned him as it would seem as if we are interested in adding a high-profile attacking midfielder, and mentioning him and Keita (who we've both been linked to) just illustrates the bigger picture of what the thinking relating to Ox's role in the squad could be.

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #43688 on: April 16, 2017, 07:30:53 pm »
No thanks. The last time we took a 'low-risk, high-reward' punt we ended up with Balotelli. AOC's all right but I haven't seen anything that's suggested he's good enough to make it here. Gigi and Mane were inconsistent last year but at least they were awesome in flashes. We also aren't going to be spending money on him if we've bought Rodriguez, Keita and Brandt* without getting on to our defence. And if we do sign midfielders I'd like a dedicated holding midfielder and/or someone intelligent who can dictate a game from that area of the pitch.

*Though that obviously won't happen.
Surely you can see that signing Oxlade-Chamberlain is absolutely nothing like signing Balotelli... Ox is actually a hard-working and dedicated player, whereas Balotelli... well...

As for Rodriguez, Brandt, and Keita, I highly doubt we'd be signing 3 players of that calibre, hence why I presented a bit of an "either, or" scenario of Rodriguez/Keita.

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #43689 on: April 16, 2017, 07:37:48 pm »
Can you think of any other decent players who would be happy to come in and be a squad player (which presumably would be the case with Ox), who are also available (1yr on contract), versatile, and relatively young (and English)? Seems like a pretty logical move to fill a position of need.

That said, it's certainly one of those signings where people would be happy with it if it was supplemented by other quality signings... sort of like how people were happy with Klavan being signed, after we had signed Karius, Matip, Wijnaldum, and Mané for the First XI. In isolation signing Klavan is an underwhelming signing, but in the context of him being a backup CB it made perfect sense.

Offline Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43690 on: April 16, 2017, 07:43:12 pm »
This whole idea of only signings players better than what we've got is never going to happen, we'll sign some improvements sure but we'll also sign players with potential and the odd gap filler. We desperately need cover for Lallana and Mane for example, do people expect us to go out and find two better players this summer while also fixing the rest of the squad?

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #43691 on: April 16, 2017, 07:45:44 pm »
I know they've got games in hand but this lot are currently miles behind.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #43692 on: April 16, 2017, 07:50:42 pm »
This whole idea of only signings players better than what we've got is never going to happen, we'll sign some improvements sure but we'll also sign players with potential and the odd gap filler. We desperately need cover for Lallana and Mane for example, do people expect us to go out and find two better players this summer while also fixing the rest of the squad?
Exactly.

Sign a top CB, a LB, and quality options in CM, AM, and LW and we're well on our way to having a strong squad. Our First XI is already capable of beating anyone and blowing bottom half sides away (see games in Sept-Nov), it's just the depth that's an issue.

Thus, I reckon only 2-3 of the incoming signings need to be players who go straight into the First XI - certainly a CB (eg. Van Dijk), but beyond that we'd be strengthening the First XI simply by adding good players who can seamlessly fit into the "First XI" without necessarily going straight into the First XI on day 1.

For example, if we signed Julian Brandt he wouldn't necessarily go straight into the First XI (ahead of Mané or Coutinho), but it's hard to argue that he wouldn't vastly improve our squad and be a great option to start games regularly.

Likewise, the squad would be greatly strengthened simply by being able to give Lallana or Wijnaldum a rest here and there, with someone like Ox also capable of offering some energy off the bench too.

All signings can't be "marquee" signings, and strengthening the squad with some smart business (like Matip and Milner on free's, and potentially Ox on a bargain with 1yr left) would go a long way to ensuring that most of the budget could be spent on the top players required.

Online ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43693 on: April 16, 2017, 07:52:04 pm »
I really hope that the part about Naby Keita is true. I watched him on several occasions this season, and he definitely has superstar potential. It would be amazing if Klopp can get him this summer.

He would be my first choice semi realistic signing for us in the summer as well. We badly need some dynamism in the middle of the park, and this lad looks perfect. Id be more gutted if you signed him rather than losing Ox to you guys.

I also like the look of the lad Ndidi as well mind you, he's got the tools to be a top player in this league as well.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 07:53:37 pm by ScottishGoon »

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #43694 on: April 16, 2017, 07:55:59 pm »
Mel's piece suggests the two clubs are just down to haggling now.  The fee still feels a little high - I'd've liked it at £15m, but we paid around £25m for Lallana did we not?  They're roughly the same bracket, and if Ox (who must be about three years younger?) makes a similar step up then it'd be a terrific buy.

Offline SwordInYourGut

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43695 on: April 16, 2017, 07:56:52 pm »
Why is everyone convinced Naby Keita is a realistic target? This is a serious project for Red Bull headed by serious football people (and a ton of money). It'll take some doing to get a player out of there even for Real or Barca.

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #43696 on: April 16, 2017, 08:03:49 pm »
Mel's piece suggests the two clubs are just down to haggling now.  The fee still feels a little high - I'd've liked it at £15m, but we paid around £25m for Lallana did we not?  They're roughly the same bracket, and if Ox (who must be about three years younger?) makes a similar step up then it'd be a terrific buy.
When we bought Lallana he had just come off a terrific season with Southampton and was one of 6 players nominated for the POTY award (alongside Yaya, Hazard, Gerrard, Suarez, and Silva iirc). Only Yaya and Gerrard had more goals/assists than him from midfield, though from open play he certainly had more than either of them.

Ox has never been more than a squad player at Arsenal, so I think it's doing Lallana a disservice to say that they are roughly in the same bracket.

Some useful barometers I guess would be Joe Allen (who had one year on his contract), and Jordan Ibe (a young winger who played 41 games for us last season), who went for £13m and £15m respectively. Mané cost £30m, and Lallana somewhere around £25m. I reckon Ox would fall somewhere around £18-20m, but given how transfer fees exploded last summer it is hard to tell just what valuations are par for the market these days.

Online ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43697 on: April 16, 2017, 08:09:37 pm »
Why is everyone convinced Naby Keita is a realistic target? This is a serious project for Red Bull headed by serious football people (and a ton of money). It'll take some doing to get a player out of there even for Real or Barca.

Probably because unless you are one of the super clubs, most other clubs are succeptable to losing players if the right money comes along and the right challenge for the player.

I don't think Monaco exactly need the money for instance and I'm sure that they'll lose a couple of their stars. Successful more established teams like Dortmund and Atletico Madrid have been picked apart in the past as well.

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43698 on: April 16, 2017, 08:15:38 pm »

Probably because there is a good chance that Leipzig won't be even allowed into the Champions League this season, due to ownership and FFP issues. Basically, their owner will have to sell Salzburg (the real talent factory) and some Leipzig players in order to resolve these issues.

Offline SwordInYourGut

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43699 on: April 16, 2017, 08:23:08 pm »
Probably because unless you are one of the super clubs, most other clubs are succeptable to losing players if the right money comes along and the right challenge for the player.

I don't think Monaco exactly need the money for instance and I'm sure that they'll lose a couple of their stars. Successful more established teams like Dortmund and Atletico Madrid have been picked apart in the past as well.
Monaco had a policy change once their owner lost roughly half of his wealth in a divorce case(Hoping to fuck my memory serves me right here, and I didn't just pull that out of my arse). They are very much a develop and sell on club now. PSG and City are better comparisons, you don't see them losing players.

Offline SwordInYourGut

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43700 on: April 16, 2017, 08:25:18 pm »
Probably because there is a good chance that Leipzig won't be even allowed into the Champions League this season, due to ownership and FFP issues. Basically, their owner will have to sell Salzburg (the real talent factory) and some Leipzig players in order to resolve these issues.
RB bought Leipzig because they realised Salzburg being in the Austrian league has a ceiling to it. Whatever sacrifices they need to make, I'm assuming it'll affect Salzburg rather than Leipzig, which is very much priority number one among RB's football franchises now.

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43701 on: April 16, 2017, 08:27:55 pm »
RB bought Leipzig because they realised Salzburg being in the Austrian league has a ceiling to it. Whatever sacrifices they need to make, I'm assuming it'll affect Salzburg rather than Leipzig, which is very much priority number one among RB's football franchises now.

Leipzig qualified for the Champions League 2-3 years ahead of schedule. Their owner has some serious decisions to make in the coming weeks/months, or they won't be allowed into the Champions League next season. And no, they are not in the same position as Man City or PSG.

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43702 on: April 16, 2017, 08:50:18 pm »
Kolasinac: Arsenal or Milan

Sunday April 16 2017

Schalke left-back Sead Kolasinac has not signed for Arsenal and will decide between the Gunners and Milan next week, said his father.

The Bosnia international will be a free agent at the end of the season.

There had been strong reports of a pre-contract agreement with Arsenal, but this does not seem to be the case.

Today Kolasinac’s father spoke to TV N1 Sarajevo and assured they had not put pen to paper with anything.

Crucially, he noted that Milan still had the advantage, but that “next week we will decide everything.”

The Rossoneri have been limited in their negotiations for the last few months, but the take-over by Yonghong Li was finally completed this week.

Now the new owners can engage in direct talks for transfer strategy and contracts.

http://www.football-italia.net/101234/kolasinac-arsenal-or-milan

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43703 on: April 16, 2017, 10:03:18 pm »
Leipzig qualified for the Champions League 2-3 years ahead of schedule. Their owner has some serious decisions to make in the coming weeks/months, or they won't be allowed into the Champions League next season. And no, they are not in the same position as Man City or PSG.

It's been reported by reliable journalists that he's a target for us, if we make the CL, we have a good chance of signing him. Barca,Real aren't signing every single player that has a good season out there.

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #43704 on: April 16, 2017, 10:33:06 pm »
When we bought Lallana he had just come off a terrific season with Southampton and was one of 6 players nominated for the POTY award (alongside Yaya, Hazard, Gerrard, Suarez, and Silva iirc). Only Yaya and Gerrard had more goals/assists than him from midfield, though from open play he certainly had more than either of them.
Okay that's fair enough, I always rated Lallana but didn't realise he'd been so feted before we got him.  I bracketed them together for being on the fringes of the England first XI.  For the record I don't see Ox ever reaching Lallana's level, but if Klopp fancies him them I've no doubt he could turn him into something very good.

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43705 on: April 16, 2017, 11:44:14 pm »
Yes, that's what I said  ;D

I was responding to the 'Feels like we've been improving the squad for years rather than improving the best 11' bit :D Which I felt isn't true now, cos we improved on the starting 11 very well for this season, need to do it again this summer.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #43706 on: April 16, 2017, 11:45:29 pm »
I would say c'com boro....

But it's not worth it... too bad to trouble the Arse
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43707 on: April 16, 2017, 11:59:53 pm »

They've kept a decent number of clean sheets at home this season, they drew 0-0 with Arsenal in the reverse fixture and it's a Monday night game with Arsenal having to travel the full length of the country. Still pretty unlikely they'll get anything but those are some things to cling desperately too.

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43708 on: April 17, 2017, 12:01:02 am »

As bad as they are, Boro have conceded less goals than us. They could get a 0-0 tomorrow.

Online Dougle

• and the bleu cat!
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43709 on: April 17, 2017, 12:19:43 am »
As bad as they are, Boro have conceded less goals than us. They could get a 0-0 tomorrow.

It would be hat eating time here. Arsenal should win comfortably. However it has been a bit of a soul destroyer this weekend. Spurs, ourselves, Manchester City and Utd all winning with 3 of those winning games that could easily (on paper) been major banana skins. Surely they will cruise this.

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #43710 on: April 17, 2017, 02:00:10 am »
Fun times to be an Arsenal fan...

Not only do they look likely to miss out on CL, but it looks likely that their squad could see some big changes, with the contracts of Sanchez and Ozil particularly glaring...

On the contract front:

- Cazorla's contract expires this summer.
- Mertesacker, Ozil, Sanchez, Gibbs, Ramsey, Jenkinson, and Ox all have only 12 months remaining on their contracts.

You look at the rest of their squad and the spine of their team is also on the wrong side of 30... including Cech (34), Monreal (31), Giroud (30), and Koscielny (31). Walcott and Perez are also getting there at 28.

Below are the players they have contracted for at least 2 seasons under age 26:

Welbeck, Gabriel, Elneny, Iwobi, Coquelin, Mustafi, Xhaka, and Bellerin

GK
Bellerin Mustafi Gabriel   LB
            Xhaka  Coquelin
 RW           AM               LW
              Welbeck

They've also got players like Wilshere and Chambers out on loan who might come back and make a difference.

That is something to build around I guess, but there's certainly a lot of change needed. This would undoubtedly be the perfect time for Wenger to leave really, and let his successor sort out the replacements.

Whatever the case, it's going to take a pretty big project to rejuvenate this squad, which is tough to do in just one summer and be competitive immediately, especially when rivals like City, Liverpool, Spurs, United, and Chelsea have some stability with their managers and squads.

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #43711 on: April 17, 2017, 02:06:09 am »

You say that, but their results against the top teams this season haven't been too bad considering their position in the table...

Spurs (h) L 1-2
Arsenal (a) D 0-0
Man City (a) D 1-1
Chelsea (h) L 0-1
Liverpool (h) L 0-3
United (a) L 1-2
Spurs (a) L 0-1
United (h) L 1-3

On second thought they've been pretty poor, only 2 points in all those games, but to be fair all but 2 of those games were within 1 goal, and they even squeezed out draws at the Etihad and Emirates.

It's probably 9/10 that Arsenal win 1-0 or 2-0, but stranger things have happened.

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #43712 on: April 17, 2017, 06:43:20 am »
Did I hear that the north London derby could see the end for st totterings day this season???
The fam blood fewm would be massive. And if chelsea were to drop more points giving spurs a peek at the title......
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Cliff Bastin

• Big Exeter fan, pretending to be a gooner, pretending...yawn
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43713 on: April 17, 2017, 06:53:03 am »
It would be hat eating time here. Arsenal should win comfortably. However it has been a bit of a soul destroyer this weekend. Spurs, ourselves, Manchester City and Utd all winning with 3 of those winning games that could easily (on paper) been major banana skins. Surely they will cruise this.
Not exactly soul destroying lets be honest. Our season has been over for a long time and the most interesting thing happening with the club now is the reactions after games.

Online ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43714 on: April 17, 2017, 08:48:24 am »

I wouldn't be too confident of us being able to get a result away to anyone just now in our fragile state.

Fun times to be an Arsenal fan...

Not only do they look likely to miss out on CL, but it looks likely that their squad could see some big changes, with the contracts of Sanchez and Ozil particularly glaring...

On the contract front:

- Cazorla's contract expires this summer.
- Mertesacker, Ozil, Sanchez, Gibbs, Ramsey, Jenkinson, and Ox all have only 12 months remaining on their contracts.

You look at the rest of their squad and the spine of their team is also on the wrong side of 30... including Cech (34), Monreal (31), Giroud (30), and Koscielny (31). Walcott and Perez are also getting there at 28.

Below are the players they have contracted for at least 2 seasons under age 26:

Welbeck, Gabriel, Elneny, Iwobi, Coquelin, Mustafi, Xhaka, and Bellerin

GK
Bellerin Mustafi Gabriel   LB
            Xhaka  Coquelin
 RW           AM               LW
              Welbeck

They've also got players like Wilshere and Chambers out on loan who might come back and make a difference.

That is something to build around I guess, but there's certainly a lot of change needed. This would undoubtedly be the perfect time for Wenger to leave really, and let his successor sort out the replacements.

Whatever the case, it's going to take a pretty big project to rejuvenate this squad, which is tough to do in just one summer and be competitive immediately, especially when rivals like City, Liverpool, Spurs, United, and Chelsea have some stability with their managers and squads.

Cazorla has had a renewal of his contract already it seems, the club just haven't announced it.

The FA’s newly released ‘Players under Written Contract‘ list reveals Arsenal have re-registered Santi Cazorla meaning the club have triggered an automatic one-year extension of the Spaniard’s current contract.

The decision to extend the 32-year-old’s deal will come as a boost to Santi who hasn’t played since November after undergoing surgery on his Achilles. Wenger confirmed last week that a recent follow-up procedure means the midfielder is at least six weeks away from making a return.

As for the remainder of your post, you are right, there likely will be a fair number of changes this summer, regardless if Wenger stays or goes, but in a perverse way, i'm kind of looking forward to some upheaval.

I think Wenger will stay now, i'm pretty sure he won't want to bow out like this, so that's going to disappoint a lot of fans. I've gotten over that fact now, as i think the club have got little option but to make some big changes to the playing staff regardless, & i'm intrigued to see what they have in mind.

We have become that used to seeing the same thing every season, that i think i am excited by the prospect of change. Even missing out in the top 4 isn't bothering me like it used to in the past, i think we have become that bored & almost numbed by groundhog seasons, it will just be nice to have a bit of a different narrative to the season. 

Don't get me wrong, i know i'm looking at things optimistically, & i'm fully aware the difficulties we might have in terms of recruitment, building again, & being able to challenge in the future. I highly doubt we will seriously challenge again under Wenger, but is that not what being a football fan is about, clinging onto the small positives no matter how remote in the hope that next year will be better?

Offline MagicHat

• Seeks SingleBunny For Professional Relationship And Cosy Nights In
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43715 on: April 17, 2017, 09:17:18 am »
They've kept a decent number of clean sheets at home this season, they drew 0-0 with Arsenal in the reverse fixture and it's a Monday night game with Arsenal having to travel the full length of the country. Still pretty unlikely they'll get anything but those are some things to cling desperately too.

but they have lost Karanka who could marshal those clean-sheets. Maybe facing Arsenal will see Agnew go very defensive and that could play to their strengths, I feel Boror are weak enough for us to win but our players confidence is so fragile...

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43716 on: April 17, 2017, 09:40:23 am »
but they have lost Karanka who could marshal those clean-sheets. Maybe facing Arsenal will see Agnew go very defensive and that could play to their strengths, I feel Boror are weak enough for us to win but our players confidence is so fragile...

I think theirs is too. It's not like a Pulis or Allardyce side where you know the kind of game Arsenal will have to contend with. Middlesbrough look shot. Think this'll be a stroll for you today, regardless of your form.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43717 on: April 17, 2017, 10:12:32 am »
Probably the best side Arsenal could face right now after Sunderland. Been pretty unlucky with the scheduling though for the last two weeks having to play on a Monday after the rest of the top 7 have all won. They probably could have done with a 3pm Saturday ko hidden amongst all the other fixtures while the media hyped up the title race. Now they're the only show in town again and all eyes on them.

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43718 on: April 17, 2017, 11:49:14 am »
Probably the best side Arsenal could face right now after Sunderland. Been pretty unlucky with the scheduling though for the last two weeks having to play on a Monday after the rest of the top 7 have all won. They probably could have done with a 3pm Saturday ko hidden amongst all the other fixtures while the media hyped up the title race. Now they're the only show in town again and all eyes on them.

yeah, a bit strange for 1 team to hvae 2 Monday games in a row isn't it? I'd be very unimpressed if that was us, I don't like Liverpool having the Monday game even once, let alone twice!

Offline Cliff Bastin

• Big Exeter fan, pretending to be a gooner, pretending...yawn
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43719 on: April 17, 2017, 12:04:37 pm »
I wouldn't be too confident of us being able to get a result away to anyone just now in our fragile state.

Cazorla has had a renewal of his contract already it seems, the club just haven't announced it.

The FA’s newly released ‘Players under Written Contract‘ list reveals Arsenal have re-registered Santi Cazorla meaning the club have triggered an automatic one-year extension of the Spaniard’s current contract.

The decision to extend the 32-year-old’s deal will come as a boost to Santi who hasn’t played since November after undergoing surgery on his Achilles. Wenger confirmed last week that a recent follow-up procedure means the midfielder is at least six weeks away from making a return.

As for the remainder of your post, you are right, there likely will be a fair number of changes this summer, regardless if Wenger stays or goes, but in a perverse way, i'm kind of looking forward to some upheaval.

I think Wenger will stay now, i'm pretty sure he won't want to bow out like this, so that's going to disappoint a lot of fans. I've gotten over that fact now, as i think the club have got little option but to make some big changes to the playing staff regardless, & i'm intrigued to see what they have in mind.

We have become that used to seeing the same thing every season, that i think i am excited by the prospect of change. Even missing out in the top 4 isn't bothering me like it used to in the past, i think we have become that bored & almost numbed by groundhog seasons, it will just be nice to have a bit of a different narrative to the season. 

Don't get me wrong, i know i'm looking at things optimistically, & i'm fully aware the difficulties we might have in terms of recruitment, building again, & being able to challenge in the future. I highly doubt we will seriously challenge again under Wenger, but is that not what being a football fan is about, clinging onto the small positives no matter how remote in the hope that next year will be better?
Cazorla is the best signing we made since the Invincibles. He was magnificent during our back to back FA cup triumphs. Him not being in the team just shows how utterly shite Coquelin is.