Author Topic: Space exploration thread - Unexpected Rapid Disassembly in the launch area.  (Read 314711 times)

Offline kopite321

• Bi-polar skyscraper
  • Kopite
Re: Space exploration thread
« Reply #2440 on: October 18, 2020, 07:09:33 am »
Jupiter "flyover"

This video uses images from NASA’s Juno mission to recreate what it might have looked like to ride along with the Juno spacecraft as it performed its 27th close flyby of Jupiter on June 2, 2020.

https://youtu.be/xh3EKDghbuU
During the recording sessions in Los Angeles, Spector held Johnny at gunpoint, forcing him to repeatedly play a riff.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #2441 on: October 20, 2020, 10:55:35 pm »
OSIRIS-REx sample acquisition is happening now... Not quite what the team expected, I hear, but I don't know much more.

Don't know if this is the right link to post, but give it a try:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6K2dqCoin8&feature=emb_logo
« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 11:07:12 pm by farawayred »
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2442 on: October 22, 2020, 12:08:10 am »
Update on TAG with Goddard videos from this page:

https://svs.gsfc.nasa.gov/13744

That's really cool. Tomorrow the team will be taking images, but probably little can be seen through the filter. The amount of collected material will be measured on Saturday (inertial measurement) and the data will be available on Monday. They are hoping for 80g of material. Amazing, imagine having 80g of pristine material that was created at the birth of the solar system...

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #2443 on: October 22, 2020, 05:58:10 pm »
So have they found water on the moon or what?

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #2444 on: October 22, 2020, 10:43:55 pm »
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2446 on: October 24, 2020, 09:54:52 am »
OSIRIS-REx sample acquisition is happening now... Not quite what the team expected, I hear, but I don't know much more.

Don't know if this is the right link to post, but give it a try:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6K2dqCoin8&feature=emb_logo

Scott Manley summarises for the layman :)

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/cmQfWuFbLNg" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/cmQfWuFbLNg</a>
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2447 on: October 24, 2020, 07:29:07 pm »
OSIRIS-REx: So much for measuring the collected material - they've got too much, enough to jam a door flap... If they can store the container now (there is a bit of uncertainty now), they will have a lot more than the 80g they were hoping for (60g minimum requirement + 20g margin). This thing has taken over half a kilo of regolith in ground tests. :)

https://www.dw.com/en/nasa-probe-leaks-asteroid-samples-into-space/a-55381682

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #2448 on: October 27, 2020, 11:14:03 pm »
So have they found water on the moon or what?
So if there is water on the moon, is there life on the moon!?
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2449 on: October 27, 2020, 11:15:59 pm »
So if there is water on the moon, is there life on the moon!?
In four years there may be. Temporarily.

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2450 on: October 27, 2020, 11:40:14 pm »
In four years there may be. Temporarily.

What steps need to be done to get someone there again? What are they planning to do once they get there?
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #2451 on: October 27, 2020, 11:48:45 pm »
What steps need to be done to get someone there again? What are they planning to do once they get there?
there can only be one thing they intend to do now, investigate the water situation. But it seems a bit strange that they've only just discovered this now. Hard to believe almost.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2452 on: October 27, 2020, 11:56:42 pm »
there can only be one thing they intend to do now, investigate the water situation. But it seems a bit strange that they've only just discovered this now. Hard to believe almost.
Not quite. The presence of water has been known for a while, they just didn't expect that it was that prevalent. It's one thing to go to the little pockets on the dark side, quite another to be able to select a site to explore where other resources are abundant. This discovery opened up the playing field.
Resource utilization is the big drive. It will start small with producing water, oxygen, fuel, using 3D-printing techniques to create structures, etc. 

Those would be the main goals and, of course, the first woman on the moon.

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2453 on: October 28, 2020, 12:46:33 am »
Not quite. The presence of water has been known for a while, they just didn't expect that it was that prevalent. It's one thing to go to the little pockets on the dark side, quite another to be able to select a site to explore where other resources are abundant. This discovery opened up the playing field.Resource utilization is the big drive. It will start small with producing water, oxygen, fuel, using 3D-printing techniques to create structures, etc. 

Those would be the main goals and, of course, the first woman on the moon.

How far are we towards a space elevator? I can't see any other economical way of getting resources in any significant quantity outside orbit. Is there any way of harvesting the space junk for use as well?
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2454 on: October 28, 2020, 01:35:58 am »
How far are we towards a space elevator? I can't see any other economical way of getting resources in any significant quantity outside orbit. Is there any way of harvesting the space junk for use as well?
The space elevator was always taken on the light side, but it got NASA funding under a very adventurous program which looks for "crazy" ideas as seeds for technology development. High-risk high-reward kind of program. It doesn't have to be a space elevator, but perhaps the carbon nanotube properties can be utilized in a way that wasn't imagined before.

As for the space junk, I can only offer my opinion - it's definitely worth harvesting to clear danger for satellites, but it's not worth harvesting for reuse. Staying in low earth orbit costs fuel and the debris (even though there are close to a million of them) are very far apart. So you'd have course correction costs, orbit-booster costs and normal drag cost in terms of fuel. On top of that you'd have collected a couple of kilos maybe, and you can't really plan on what materials you are going to encounter (can't plan reuse). Collecting debris is a mission in its own right, the Japanese had planned one but I don't know the status (KITE was the prototype experiment that failed in orbit and I don't know what followed).

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2455 on: October 29, 2020, 09:49:44 pm »
Do you remember the big announcement on finding phosphine in the Venus atmosphere?
...snip
Edit: link to the paper for the masochists among us > https://www.nature.com/articles/s41550-020-1174-4

Well, no, they didn't...
https://arxiv.org/abs/2010.14305?fbclid=IwAR1pZSwBnkXLzkA56Gx1vI2NEzYtnO0gYhedu6ewXocuo1lwQK2tvog3Ias

Turns out that result stemmed from heavy data manipulation, including noise subtraction with the wrong polynomial order. I guess a 13th order polynomial would have worked just fine. :D

Offline PROPER crazyemlyn72

• is Android
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2456 on: October 29, 2020, 10:05:49 pm »
Are they going to do the exact trip as the apollo mission. For the moon landing mission

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2457 on: October 30, 2020, 04:45:18 am »
Do you remember the big announcement on finding phosphine in the Venus atmosphere?
Well, no, they didn't...
https://arxiv.org/abs/2010.14305?fbclid=IwAR1pZSwBnkXLzkA56Gx1vI2NEzYtnO0gYhedu6ewXocuo1lwQK2tvog3Ias

Turns out that result stemmed from heavy data manipulation, including noise subtraction with the wrong polynomial order. I guess a 13th order polynomial would have worked just fine. :D
It always seemed like a massively optimistic finding.  I'm half-pleased it wasn't found in the end, I feel like it would have been a waste of resources if missions were targeted to Venus for that reason.
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2458 on: October 30, 2020, 05:27:56 am »
It always seemed like a massively optimistic finding.  I'm half-pleased it wasn't found in the end, I feel like it would have been a waste of resources if missions were targeted to Venus for that reason.
I'm generally disappointed that so-called scientists make such an unsubstantiated claim... It had happened in the past, but this is disgraceful to science; how would people believe such findings?!

But a Venus mission may be happening sooner or later... I was a part of the SAGE mission proposal that didn't get selected, VOX that didn't get selected, but hopefully Cupid's Arrow has a different fate... :)

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2459 on: October 30, 2020, 01:46:56 pm »
I'm generally disappointed that so-called scientists make such an unsubstantiated claim... It had happened in the past, but this is disgraceful to science; how would people believe such findings?!

But a Venus mission may be happening sooner or later... I was a part of the SAGE mission proposal that didn't get selected, VOX that didn't get selected, but hopefully Cupid's Arrow has a different fate... :)

Let's hope you can thoroughly test the satellite ahead of its mission. You could name it Cupid Mastered.
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2460 on: October 30, 2020, 03:23:29 pm »

Ah, good luck!  Hopefull you've planned in a ton of shielding into it.  Is this your proposal? https://trs.jpl.nasa.gov/bitstream/handle/2014/45775/15-4602_A1b.pdf?sequence=1

As long as it doesn't take away from my in-my-head novella of a mission landing on the surface, only to find evidence of human life (spoiler: we trashed Venus, moved to Earth and we're doing the same here.... ooooo :lmao)
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2461 on: October 30, 2020, 04:51:15 pm »
Ah, good luck!  Hopefull you've planned in a ton of shielding into it.  Is this your proposal? https://trs.jpl.nasa.gov/bitstream/handle/2014/45775/15-4602_A1b.pdf?sequence=1

As long as it doesn't take away from my in-my-head novella of a mission landing on the surface, only to find evidence of human life (spoiler: we trashed Venus, moved to Earth and we're doing the same here.... ooooo :lmao)
;D

This is an old version and we are still redefining the proposal. Of all the people listed, only Christophe will be somewhat associated with it; he's leaving JPL going back to France. We are currently working on a sample return version of the mission as opposed to the in situ measurements. The instrument is quite complex and never been tried in space (I don't count the Space Station as "space") and has issues that the team still hasn't addressed. So we decided to go for a grab-and-go mission, bring a lot more gas back and distribute aliquots to different laboratories. But even that's hard to justify because we have to be able to predict all relevant gas species and reactions due to the ionization of the gas by the shock wave; we'd fly so fast that we'll brake molecules apart and create reactive ions and radicals...

There is still interest in a lander though. I recall a Russian proposal to make a 3-month long mission using a refrigerator. Considering that all Venera missions were 1h-long (except for one that was 2h), that's a hell of a lot of time! If possible...

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2462 on: October 30, 2020, 07:56:29 pm »
There is still interest in a lander though. I recall a Russian proposal to make a 3-month long mission using a refrigerator.

Will Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson be onboard?
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2463 on: October 31, 2020, 05:06:36 am »
Will Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson be onboard?
I'm not British, so I don't know, but perhaps it would be too cold for him there on board... Unless he steps outside.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #2464 on: November 15, 2020, 08:38:20 pm »
A manned Falcon 9 mission to the ISS due to launch in 4 hours time.

This will be the 1st time the Dragon capsule has been used to transport a full operational team to the ISS. 3 NASA and 1 JAXA astronauts.

60% chance of ideal weather conditions
« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 08:42:05 pm by gazzalfc »

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #2465 on: November 15, 2020, 11:19:53 pm »
Watch the launch live here if you're interested

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqHak1JRcug&feature=emb_logo

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #2466 on: November 15, 2020, 11:31:24 pm »
Technical crew have reported that they are ready to proceed.

Looks like it's ON!

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #2467 on: November 16, 2020, 12:28:21 am »
Liftoff!

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #2468 on: November 16, 2020, 06:33:22 am »
I will never not be amazed at that falcon 9 booster rocket landing

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2469 on: November 17, 2020, 06:12:05 pm »
I will never not be amazed at that falcon 9 booster rocket landing

If only they could have done that with an S-IC.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2470 on: November 22, 2020, 09:55:39 am »
The Arecibo radar telescope faces demolition after the cable failure earlier this year led to a hole being punched through it.

A structural assessment following a second cable outright snapping led engineers to discover corrosion is risking cable failures at far below the expected breaking strength - in this case just 60%.

<a href="https://youtube.com/v/IEe4Wlc5Vp0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://youtube.com/v/IEe4Wlc5Vp0</a>

Popcorn's Art

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #2471 on: November 25, 2020, 07:09:07 am »
Successful static fire test of SN8 yesterday. Going for a 15k hop next week....

The first real flight of it....
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2472 on: November 26, 2020, 09:30:38 pm »
They’ve started constructing the SLS

$18bn so far and it’s made of rehashed shuttle parts.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-55070302
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2473 on: November 27, 2020, 01:45:12 am »
ESA helping to clean up space debris by funding a Swiss startup company:
https://www.dw.com/en/space-trash-cleanup-esa-signs-off-on-first-ever-mission/a-55740379

The talk has been going on around for a while, but now there is funding in place that can make it happen.

Offline darragh85

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2474 on: November 28, 2020, 10:53:49 pm »
not sure if this is the correct thread to ask this but is buying a telesope worth it?  if so what would you recommend?

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2475 on: November 29, 2020, 10:25:25 am »
Scott Manley breaks down some rocket camera footage.

<a href="https://youtube.com/v/SR6Z85X8i4o" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://youtube.com/v/SR6Z85X8i4o</a>

Popcorn's Art

Offline kopite321

• Bi-polar skyscraper
  • Kopite
« Reply #2476 on: November 30, 2020, 10:47:26 am »
not sure if this is the correct thread to ask this but is buying a telesope worth it?  if so what would you recommend?

Separate THREAD BELOW MATE ON THIS SUBJECT...
During the recording sessions in Los Angeles, Spector held Johnny at gunpoint, forcing him to repeatedly play a riff.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2477 on: November 30, 2020, 06:23:04 pm »
SN8 could make its first proper flight on Wednesday.

Probably only a 1 in 3 chance of it going perfectly according to musk.

Incredible really.  When they land one, it’s going out be like thunderbirds.
W

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2478 on: December 1, 2020, 03:08:22 pm »
The Arecibo radar telescope faces demolition after the cable failure earlier this year led to a hole being punched through it.

A structural assessment following a second cable outright snapping led engineers to discover corrosion is risking cable failures at far below the expected breaking strength - in this case just 60%.

<a href="https://youtube.com/v/IEe4Wlc5Vp0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://youtube.com/v/IEe4Wlc5Vp0</a>
It's collapsed :(
My Twitter

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2479 on: December 1, 2020, 04:37:56 pm »
It's collapsed :(

Exactly what they were hoping to avoid with a controlled dismantling/demolition. :(

I expect Scott will release a follow up video soon.  It's a crying shame because no other telescope in the world could do what it did.  The next most powerful radar telescope is barely half as powerful.

Popcorn's Art