Author Topic: Restaurant Reviews for Liverpool. [Done by RAWKites]  (Read 600702 times)

Offline Only Me

• Insufferable twat. Brexiteer supreme.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Restaurant Reviews for Liverpool. [Done by RAWKites]
« Reply #4360 on: April 30, 2022, 12:26:24 am »
Thanks for the tips regarding The Queens and Abditory - never heard of either before, but will defo be giving them a try in next few weeks.

Had a few nice meals out lately.

Had a boss breakfast this morning at the Station House cafe at Prescot Station. Really lovely little place with excellent food and service at very reasonable prices. It’s an excellent little place, highly recommended.

Blackburn House pub still as good as ever. Proper old school boozer with great ale, and  a superb atmosphere. Had a Gorgeous roast dinner there last Sunday afternoon before seeing a show at The Phil.

Churrasco still great for steak too - lovely evening there the other week.

And another great breakfast at Moose cafe.

Moor Hall Barn again this week for anniversary meal. Can’t wait.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #4361 on: May 6, 2022, 10:19:08 am »
Hawksmoor have announced they will be opening a brand new restaurant later this year in the India buildings on the corner of Brunswick Street and Fenwick Street.

A lot of people consider Hawksmoor to be one of the best steak restaurants in the country.

Offline courty61

• Legacy Fan
  • Never Buy The S*n
« Reply #4362 on: May 9, 2022, 07:18:16 pm »
Anyone been Efes in Formby? Got a table in a couple weeks time when we go and see a mate who's just moved there.

Been a few times for a take away as live round the corner. Decent enough food for what it is. Although never rammed in the restaurant but that could be down due to the location, away from the village etc.
77, 78, 81, 84, 05, 19

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #4363 on: May 11, 2022, 10:51:05 am »
Been a few times for a take away as live round the corner. Decent enough food for what it is. Although never rammed in the restaurant but that could be down due to the location, away from the village etc.
Cheers, we're going tomorrow night so will detail my thoughts.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Lotus Eater

• "The first picture of you! The first picture of summer. See the flowers scream their joy!" Father of Water Melon Eater.
  • Kopite
  • Yer Ma wears army boots
« Reply #4364 on: May 21, 2022, 07:33:45 am »
El Gato Negro in town, Exchange Flags

Fantastic Tapas

We got tempura cauliflower with hummus,
sweet potato,
meatballs,
chicken thighs
and beef short rib (a bit expensive at £15)

It was all very delicious. We reordered the cauliflower

Highly recommend

https://www.elgatonegrotapas.com/liverpool#liverpool_book_online

11 September 1999 - Slater Street. 2 beers, a packet of crisps and a truncheon please.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #4365 on: May 21, 2022, 12:57:45 pm »
El Gato Negro is boss, the tapas is fantastic, can't go wrong!

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4366 on: May 21, 2022, 01:25:57 pm »
I really didn't like it when we went. Found the portions small and expensive compared to going to your more traditional tapas place, and quite a few of them when I went were pretty tasteless.

Offline Only Me

• Insufferable twat. Brexiteer supreme.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4367 on: June 4, 2022, 10:30:13 am »
Well, finally found the best breakfast in Liverpool.

Coffee Vault on St Mary’s Rd in Gaston.

Lovely bright, clean place. Dead nice staff, very reasonable prices, and absolutely outstanding food and coffee.

As good as any breakfast I’ve had anywhere. Absolutely loved it.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4368 on: June 6, 2022, 11:20:17 pm »
Well, finally found the best breakfast in Liverpool.

Coffee Vault on St Mary’s Rd in Gaston.

Lovely bright, clean place. Dead nice staff, very reasonable prices, and absolutely outstanding food and coffee.

As good as any breakfast I’ve had anywhere. Absolutely loved it.
I had a nice but overpriced toastie and coffee in there a few weeks back. Would go again and try more of the menu.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #4369 on: June 20, 2022, 09:31:01 am »
New place in the baltic triangle called Manifest. Going to try go at the start of next month, anyone been and want to warn me away?

https://www.manifestrestaurant.com/
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline Momos_righteye

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4370 on: June 20, 2022, 11:36:39 am »
New place in the baltic triangle called Manifest. Going to try go at the start of next month, anyone been and want to warn me away?

https://www.manifestrestaurant.com/

I've heard really good things but someone else I know didn't enjoy it, think it's worth a try

Offline Momos_righteye

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4371 on: June 20, 2022, 11:37:36 am »
Went to Barnacle in Duke Street market on Saturday for some lunch and really enjoyed it. Portions were a little small but the food was very good

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4372 on: July 5, 2022, 03:24:03 pm »
Sanskruti is 20% off at the moment.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4373 on: July 5, 2022, 03:34:09 pm »
Sanskruti is 20% off at the moment.

Well worth taking advantage of, best curry in town.

Offline Livbes

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4374 on: July 6, 2022, 07:14:34 pm »
If you had a choice in town for an early evening dinner  . . Lerpwl, Barnacle or the art school? We won’t be doing a taster menu just the à la carte/prix fixe. One is a pescatarian and the other doesn’t do ANY type of fish/seafood.  :-[ ;D

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4375 on: July 8, 2022, 09:59:42 am »
If you had a choice in town for an early evening dinner  . . Lerpwl, Barnacle or the art school? We won’t be doing a taster menu just the à la carte/prix fixe. One is a pescatarian and the other doesn’t do ANY type of fish/seafood.  :-[ ;D
Can only comment on Art School as it's the only one I've been to. It was rather good but everyone raves about it and I'm not quite sure it's as good as the hype.

Dead in here recently, can see the Tory bombing of the economy is squeezing us all. Other than a pub lunch I had a few weeks back, I've barely been out and have nothing booked, which is odd for me.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4376 on: July 8, 2022, 11:53:26 am »
No major new places opened in town lately.

There is new food market type place thats just opened on Renshaw street but not tried it yet and the company that owns the Albert's Schenke on Hanover street are planning on opening a food market place in the old HMV building on Bold street (as you come out of Liverpool Central) before the end of the year.

Dave Critchley of Lu Ban fame has teamed up with the guys that run Duke Street market to open a 'new dining concept' at the St Paul’s Square building. Thats due to open in the winter as well.

Almost Famous opened 10 years ago this week and Free State Kitchen did a couple of months ago so its great to see those 2 still going after so long.

Caribou Poutine has also moved from Slater Street to bigger premises on Hardman street up from the Bombed out church. So a bit of a trek now for those after their end of night scran.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4377 on: July 8, 2022, 12:09:53 pm »
Was in Matou last Saturday with about 30 of us. Safe to say we wont be allowed back due to the carry on!

Nice scran like.

Offline gregor

• Partial to a Swiss Roll
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4378 on: July 8, 2022, 12:55:08 pm »
A few (semi) recent visits in the last few months around L18.

Maray - Went for their lunch offer and it was pretty quiet, but it was a weekday. Food was good, probably not quite as good as previous visits but the lunch offer is good value.

Spire - so great to have this in the area, the value for money is fantastic considering how great the food is, especially on their set menu offers.

Neon Jamon - first visit to its new home, which is next door to the old Tribeca on Smithdown (now rebranded as the Crafty Swine, a bar/pub that does food too, owned by the same people). First things first, I loved the old Neon and the new place didn't quite hit the heights of it for me, but part of that is probably because I loved the old space so much. I'm sure I'll get used to this new one and it still had a great atmosphere, was really busy and bustling, everything that sort of restaurant should be. Still doesn't take bookings and we went at a busy time on a Friday night, they give you a buzzer and you can go into the Crafty Swine next door for a couple of drinks while you wait (and can take them into Neon with you). We waited about 45 minutes, but weren't in any rush so didn't mind at all. Menu is very similar to the old one with a few specials on too. We noticed portion sizes were a fair bit smaller, but hey ho it's a tough business at the moment, the food we had was tasty and we certainly didn't leave hungry. Service was great and just lovely to have one of our favourite restaurants back.

Tiger Rock - Fast becoming a go to local place for us, literally never had a bad course there. Took my mum and dad there for Father's Day, they'd never been before and loved it as much as we do. The "small bowls" of Thai curry, pad Thai etc aren't small at all and definitely enough to be described as a main course in my opinion. Even a lot of the small plates are bigger than your average starter. Brilliant place.

Going to Luca tonight. We went on New Years Eve and I thought it was fairly average, but NYE isn't a typical night and it's very well reviewed so I'm looking forward to giving it a second go.

Offline Livbes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4379 on: July 8, 2022, 01:04:06 pm »
Can only comment on Art School as it's the only one I've been to. It was rather good but everyone raves about it and I'm not quite sure it's as good as the hype.

Dead in here recently, can see the Tory bombing of the economy is squeezing us all. Other than a pub lunch I had a few weeks back, I've barely been out and have nothing booked, which is odd for me.

Cheers. We booked Lerpwl and their Daily individual plates menu. Looking forward to it.

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #4380 on: July 8, 2022, 01:38:51 pm »
A few (semi) recent visits in the last few months around L18.

Maray - Went for their lunch offer and it was pretty quiet, but it was a weekday. Food was good, probably not quite as good as previous visits but the lunch offer is good value.

Spire - so great to have this in the area, the value for money is fantastic considering how great the food is, especially on their set menu offers.

Neon Jamon - first visit to its new home, which is next door to the old Tribeca on Smithdown (now rebranded as the Crafty Swine, a bar/pub that does food too, owned by the same people). First things first, I loved the old Neon and the new place didn't quite hit the heights of it for me, but part of that is probably because I loved the old space so much. I'm sure I'll get used to this new one and it still had a great atmosphere, was really busy and bustling, everything that sort of restaurant should be. Still doesn't take bookings and we went at a busy time on a Friday night, they give you a buzzer and you can go into the Crafty Swine next door for a couple of drinks while you wait (and can take them into Neon with you). We waited about 45 minutes, but weren't in any rush so didn't mind at all. Menu is very similar to the old one with a few specials on too. We noticed portion sizes were a fair bit smaller, but hey ho it's a tough business at the moment, the food we had was tasty and we certainly didn't leave hungry. Service was great and just lovely to have one of our favourite restaurants back.

Tiger Rock - Fast becoming a go to local place for us, literally never had a bad course there. Took my mum and dad there for Father's Day, they'd never been before and loved it as much as we do. The "small bowls" of Thai curry, pad Thai etc aren't small at all and definitely enough to be described as a main course in my opinion. Even a lot of the small plates are bigger than your average starter. Brilliant place.

Going to Luca tonight. We went on New Years Eve and I thought it was fairly average, but NYE isn't a typical night and it's very well reviewed so I'm looking forward to giving it a second go.

Piccola is also theirs, and has just opened where Berrington's (also theirs) was in Neon's old space.

The former management of Tribeca have opened Épicerie round near the Ullet Road junction too.

Decent round here at the minute isn't it. Shout out for the Pizza Parlour too!

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4381 on: July 8, 2022, 09:02:22 pm »
Booked Livpwl for Sunday lunch , £50 a head looking forward to it

Offline Livbes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4382 on: July 16, 2022, 08:14:29 pm »
Cheers. We booked Lerpwl and their Daily individual plates menu. Looking forward to it.

It’s was excellent. Portions small for the money but you expect that with finer dining. Very impressed although Ellis wasn’t in.

Offline sharkeyb

• Would pay to see a Mason's willy, but not more than £35.
  • Legacy Fan
  • He's on the floor
« Reply #4383 on: July 19, 2022, 04:15:18 pm »

The former management of Tribeca have opened Épicerie round near the Ullet Road junction too.
. Shout out for the Pizza Parlour too!

what does that  epicerie do?  coffee gaff?

Love the pizza parlour, my go to gaff for pizza, enjoy a bottle of red peroni while i wait
Sir, the cash monies?

Offline KlurgenJopp

• Main Stander
« Reply #4384 on: July 21, 2022, 12:50:04 pm »

Thought The Art School was decent but nothing more, lovely building though and the staff were very nice. Barnacle more relaxed atmosphere and less formal service, food similarly decent but nothing special. Both overhyped for me.
TWICE! TWIIICE!! TWIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICE!!!!!

Offline Momos_righteye

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4385 on: July 21, 2022, 05:45:27 pm »
Went to Sanskruti last night to catch up with some old work colleagues, Great value with the 20% off

Went to Queens again at the weekend as well and thought it was great! Really good service, food & atmosphere, think it's my favourite spot in Liverpool these days

Offline gregor

• Partial to a Swiss Roll
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4386 on: July 30, 2022, 04:07:34 pm »
Went to Pinion in Prescot last night. Nice little place, staff were great. Food was tasty all round, but perhaps slightly expensive for what it is. For a neighbourhood place that's aiming higher end I'd equate it to somewhere like Spire in terms of menu and pricing, but it's not as good as Spire. Still, I'd certainly go back and the pre-theatre menu looks really good value. We've got some tickets for a couple of shows at the new theatre and will definitely book there for at least one of them.
« Last Edit: August 1, 2022, 12:57:58 am by gregor »

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4387 on: August 1, 2022, 07:41:03 pm »
Six of us went to bouchon delux on Sunday in castle street , had the set £29 three courses , starter was the French onion soup which is fabulous , then a roast beef Sunday lunch followed by apple tart with drinks and tip was £85 per couple . Been twice now and enjoyed both times , will be going again

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4388 on: August 2, 2022, 11:20:10 am »
Six of us went to bouchon delux on Sunday in castle street , had the set £29 three courses , starter was the French onion soup which is fabulous , then a roast beef Sunday lunch followed by apple tart with drinks and tip was £85 per couple . Been twice now and enjoyed both times , will be going again
Looks nice that. I'm up a bit more at the moment for family reasons so will be giving that a go. Cheers for posting.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4389 on: August 20, 2022, 03:28:02 pm »
Baltic social closing for good this week :(

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4390 on: August 21, 2022, 10:06:27 am »
Baltic social closing for good this week :(
A damn shame that. We’re going to go tomorrow seeing as it’ll be theist ever time.

I know a lad who’s partner worked there and apparently whilst they were just about coping post-covid, the energy price rises have made it untenable for them to run the business.

Doesn’t surprise me, I know a landlord who says he’s now spending £12,000 a quarter more than he was last year.

Offline KlurgenJopp

• Main Stander
« Reply #4391 on: August 24, 2022, 12:36:05 am »
Devastated that Sanskruti have stopped doing Pav Bhaji, one of my favourite things on the menu.  :butt

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4392 on: August 24, 2022, 10:26:28 am »
Devastated that Sanskruti have stopped doing Pav Bhaji, one of my favourite things on the menu.  :butt
Granted we tend to go on a weeknight, but I'm a touch worried by how empty Sanskruti has been the last 3 or 4 times we've gone. Food is as good as ever so it must be the general tightening of the belts most of us are having to do.

Offline KlurgenJopp

• Main Stander
« Reply #4393 on: August 25, 2022, 04:36:49 pm »
Granted we tend to go on a weeknight, but I'm a touch worried by how empty Sanskruti has been the last 3 or 4 times we've gone. Food is as good as ever so it must be the general tightening of the belts most of us are having to do.

Etsu was pretty quiet last time we went too, don't think I've ever seen the new section full either. Doesn't help that they've also got a new sushi chef, changed the menu (no more seared sashimi  :no) and started putting edible flowers on everything.

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #4394 on: August 25, 2022, 05:59:32 pm »

I was really excited to show my wifes family Sanskruti when they were visiting Liverpool in June, but it was fully booked when we tried to go. And that was also a weekday. Perhaps that was slightly before panic mode regarding cost of living.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4395 on: August 25, 2022, 06:05:04 pm »
It's always been hit and miss midweek - we had times we've walked out of CrossKeys round the corner decided last minute to go and it would be empty, and then other times it's packed. Both before and after covid lockdown.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4396 on: August 25, 2022, 07:28:02 pm »
Hopefully it’s just that then - we’ve happened to land on a quiet evening by chance.

Etsu was pretty quiet last time we went too, don't think I've ever seen the new section full either. Doesn't help that they've also got a new sushi chef, changed the menu (no more seared sashimi  :no) and started putting edible flowers on everything.
Was the food generally still good though? Never had a bad meal in Etsu, just tend to over order and come out stupidly stuffed. Going next week so hopefully it’s on form and got a decent crowd in.

Offline KlurgenJopp

• Main Stander
« Reply #4397 on: August 26, 2022, 12:10:03 am »
Hopefully it’s just that then - we’ve happened to land on a quiet evening by chance.
Was the food generally still good though? Never had a bad meal in Etsu, just tend to over order and come out stupidly stuffed. Going next week so hopefully it’s on form and got a decent crowd in.

Still good yeah, I just really miss the seared sea bass nigiri (meant that instead of sashimi). Last time I went the specials were a bit weird (tuna/salmon tartare, black cod with cheese, some kind of pintxo). They have a few new California rolls which I liked.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2022, 12:28:49 am by KlurgenJopp »

Offline Jshooters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Occasionally inspirational
« Reply #4398 on: August 26, 2022, 12:14:21 pm »
Madre at the Albert Dock yesterday for dinner. It was ok but we came away feeling that it would have been better as a light lunch as the flavours became a bit much towards the end of the meal.

Had 6 orders of Tacos and 6 ‘tapas’ plates between 2 adults, 2 teenagers and 2 ‘tweens’ plus 4 helpings of Churros and drinks. £171 including 15% service charge.

The Birria beef tacos were defo mine and my wife’s favourite and the pork ones were decent too. Calamari was undercooked though and the ribs were too sweet.
Believer

Offline HomesickRed

• Anny Roader
« Reply #4399 on: August 30, 2022, 02:03:19 pm »
Thought The Art School was decent but nothing more, lovely building though and the staff were very nice. Barnacle more relaxed atmosphere and less formal service, food similarly decent but nothing special. Both overhyped for me.

Been to Art School a couple of times recently: prix fixe menu for £39 and it was excellent both times. Need to be in before 6.15 but that's fine for me.

Othello's --- out of town on Gateacre Park Drive was lovely as always, last week. Best Greek around and so much better than many Turkish restaurants I could mention.