Author Topic: The RAWK Gardening Thread. (All Questions Answered)  (Read 175645 times)

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: The RAWK Gardening Thread. (All Questions Answered)
« Reply #400 on: September 15, 2016, 10:31:31 pm »
So the beautiful sunny September is about to wave goodbye... farewell sunshine. Come back soon. You couldn't ripen my tomotoes before you go could you?

Pick them and put them on a window sill that gets plenty of sun, they'll ripen no probs.

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #401 on: September 15, 2016, 11:44:58 pm »
Pick them and put them on a window sill that gets plenty of sun, they'll ripen no probs.

Will be doing that debs. Here's hoping. There's always green tomato chutney to make for about 200 families I guess. My tomatoes idea came as a whim one April, so am not too bothered. The beans will at least enjoy being in the same spec next year.

Really need a big freezer. Could have gallons of passata/tomato mush to last a year.

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #402 on: September 16, 2016, 11:13:54 pm »
Got a lot of digging to do tomorrow.

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #403 on: September 17, 2016, 01:01:19 pm »
Hows the diggin a comin?
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #404 on: September 18, 2016, 06:29:39 pm »
Hows the diggin a comin?

Well I had big big plans... was going to be a 10 hour marathon dig, seive, and barrow session, but got called off it. Had then planned to do an afternoon session today, but have been unable to stop laughing.

Offline pw1008

• Kopite
« Reply #405 on: September 19, 2016, 09:25:26 am »
Simple question - just had turf laid over the weekend and with no rain forecast all week need to water it.

Bought a sprinkler so just been moving that around the garden but cant be sure its getting every bit of grass - is it more important waters getting into the soil or that the grass is getting wet?

also dont want to over water - is an hour a night about right or should I be doing more?

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #406 on: September 19, 2016, 06:01:36 pm »
Well I had big big plans... was going to be a 10 hour marathon dig, seive, and barrow session, but got called off it. Had then planned to do an afternoon session today, but have been unable to stop laughing.

;D

Laughing?
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #407 on: September 19, 2016, 06:04:47 pm »
Simple question - just had turf laid over the weekend and with no rain forecast all week need to water it.

Bought a sprinkler so just been moving that around the garden but cant be sure its getting every bit of grass - is it more important waters getting into the soil or that the grass is getting wet?

also dont want to over water - is an hour a night about right or should I be doing more?

See Point number 7.

:wave

http://www.summerhilllawns.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=56&Itemid=57
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #408 on: September 19, 2016, 09:27:40 pm »
;D

Laughing?

Watford 3-1 Man Unted

Was referencing (to myself) a conversation I had with a fellow Dad at our kids school, who was texting me a load of rubbish during our Chelsea match. He's a Man Unted fan. Met him on the Saturday at a village fete, and he wasn't feeling too confident about the game with Watford. And he said something like... 'and I'm sure you'll return the compliment texting me during the game'... explained to him that I never gloat, least of all by text... that I hate all that shit, and never get involved with it with anyone. But I did say that I might text him at around 4pm because by then I would have stopped laughing. Turned out I was wrong! I hadn't stopped at all!

Saw his wife at the school drop off next morning - asked her to put an arm round him when he gets in. What can I say? I'm soft.

Some cracking news from the greenhouse! One of my Scotch Bonnet chillies has turned from green to orange literally overnight!!

Offline pw1008

• Kopite

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #410 on: September 29, 2016, 10:51:11 pm »
Haven't been out there much this week, but I did cut down my lemon grass the other day.

Not a great crop and a bit spindly, but it's in the freezer now and will do a job on occasion. The idea was to grow some big juicy lengths of lemon grass to use as skewers for next years barbeques, but not sure they'd hold up an anchovy, yet alone a sardine. But... am cutting these lemongrass stalks down, and fuck me, but in literally an hour, they started to regrow by about 5mm. I thought I was going insane. Two days later, they've shot up 3 inches. Am not joking.

Never knew till this morning that lemongrass is also known as Cymbopogon, which should surely be the name of a band, playing a mix of hard stoner jazzdoom punk and early 70's prog/folk.

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #411 on: October 13, 2016, 02:18:49 pm »
I meant to ask this question a while ago, but... what is this?

I cleared some out of my patio at the start of the summer and forgot all about it, but noticed it coming back the other week. It didn't die with the typical weed killer that I treated the rest of the patio to, I had to get one of those hooked tools and slice it all out.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #412 on: October 13, 2016, 08:54:24 pm »

I cleared some out of my patio at the start of the summer and forgot all about it, but noticed it coming back the other week. It didn't die with the typical weed killer that I treated the rest of the patio to, I had to get one of those hooked tools and slice it all out.
I've been meaning to ask as well, it prevalent in the front & back garden and even growing in the pavement gaps in the road. I've never seen this until the last couple of years. Its like some new wool weed to Liverpool :)

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #413 on: October 13, 2016, 08:56:28 pm »
Parents got one of these the other day, which flowered.

Very interesting!

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #414 on: October 13, 2016, 11:28:52 pm »
I've been meaning to ask as well, it prevalent in the front & back garden and even growing in the pavement gaps in the road. I've never seen this until the last couple of years. Its like some new wool weed to Liverpool :)

Let me check it out lads.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #415 on: October 13, 2016, 11:31:23 pm »

Very interesting!

Its a tropical plant, where have they got it planted, likes shade and humid type of surrounding but dont water it too often.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #416 on: October 14, 2016, 03:59:21 am »
Its a tropical plant, where have they got it planted, likes shade and humid type of surrounding but dont water it too often.

No idea I think they got it inside somewhere in the lounge.

Online surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #417 on: October 14, 2016, 11:00:43 am »

Very interesting!

Looks like something that's about to open its eyes at any second and crawl into your shirt...

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #418 on: October 14, 2016, 12:44:39 pm »
;D

Hahahahaaaaaaaa no not at all, they will be fine i promise, but you do only get a few years out of them. They tend to get leggy and ugly in time no matter how much you cut them back, yours look great and will look better next year.

So I massacred the lavender as instructed, and I'm pleased to say that the stubby little woody bits that I left in the ground are now covered in shoots for next summer. Cheers, Robbie. :wave ;D

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #419 on: October 14, 2016, 01:13:42 pm »
Looks like something that's about to open its eyes at any second and crawl into your shirt...

Aptly named the Bat Plant.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #420 on: October 14, 2016, 08:42:22 pm »
So I massacred the lavender as instructed, and I'm pleased to say that the stubby little woody bits that I left in the ground are now covered in shoots for next summer. Cheers, Robbie. :wave ;D

No problem mate, thank fook ;D
Y.N.W.A.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #421 on: October 15, 2016, 03:49:33 pm »

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #422 on: October 15, 2016, 03:59:14 pm »

Use a mixture of Water, vinegar, salt, and washing up liquid. Don't spray it on any plant you don't want to kill, as it'll kill everything.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #423 on: October 15, 2016, 08:25:53 pm »
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Lawnmowerman

• Got married to Pique in April. Shakira isn't happy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #424 on: October 15, 2016, 09:06:04 pm »
Yeah, i've seen it and the regular weedkiller doesn't kill it but a mosskiller does have some luck so it could be a mossy fungus type problem to deal with. A customer had me put these baking soda crystals down on their driveway to kill moss so it could maybe work on that. Absolutely blitzed the moss. Very surprised. Sprinkle it on and give it a light water in

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #425 on: October 15, 2016, 09:20:11 pm »
Yeah, i've seen it and the regular weedkiller doesn't kill it but a mosskiller does have some luck so it could be a mossy fungus type problem to deal with. A customer had me put these baking soda crystals down on their driveway to kill moss so it could maybe work on that. Absolutely blitzed the moss. Very surprised. Sprinkle it on and give it a light water in

Really? Jesus must remember that.

Hows you matey?
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Lawnmowerman

• Got married to Pique in April. Shakira isn't happy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #426 on: October 15, 2016, 09:51:19 pm »
Really? Jesus must remember that.

Hows you matey?
Yeah, they're only cheap aswell so you could buy a handful of bags to cover a driveway. Yeah fine Sarge thanks. Autumn coming in, leaves starting to fall, fav time of the year. Work winding down slowly. Hibernation soon :D

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #427 on: October 16, 2016, 04:28:24 pm »
Yeah, they're only cheap aswell so you could buy a handful of bags to cover a driveway. Yeah fine Sarge thanks. Autumn coming in, leaves starting to fall, fav time of the year. Work winding down slowly. Hibernation soon :D

;D

Just about finished my garden clean up for the Winter, just need a a mini skip and its 90% done, some early Spring planting and Nature can do her work. I'd say in 4 years it will be fully matured and looking good. Have planted many larger shrubs and mini trees to block out neighbors and so on so it will be a hidden garden to relax in.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #428 on: October 16, 2016, 06:05:59 pm »
so to go with these that I'd like next year...

I'd love some Tunisian Aubergines.

What a beautiful trippy garden that would be, plus having that all important nob gag edge. Fantastic. Need to move tho - to the Med. Bah.

PS... Soda and or vinegar seems to sort out everything.

Sarge... I think we need an internal poll. Question: Alan Titchmarsh vs Monty Don. I'm an Alan fan myself. I miss him.

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #429 on: October 16, 2016, 06:45:43 pm »

I'd love some Tunisian Aubergines.

Just grow some purple beans and take a close-up pic..... :P
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #430 on: October 16, 2016, 07:58:21 pm »
I'm a Monty man but do like a little Alan. Different types of gardener to be honest.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #431 on: October 16, 2016, 08:25:26 pm »
Just grow some purple beans and take a close-up pic..... :P

;D

I'm a Monty man but do like a little Alan. Different types of gardener to be honest.

I just miss Alan. I love referring to 'Alan'. 'Well Alan said I should...' etc. I have one book that I refer to and it's Alan's. I just haven't bought into the whole Monty Don thing. I'm of an age now where I'll find out that Gardeners World is on and I'll rush to the telly - my god, how my 20 year old self would laugh - and yet, I'm constantly wishing I had 'Alan'. I hate Monty's dogs, and he's looking old - he's no longer that sexy gardener type that I was slipping into imagewise either. I'd meet and greet mothers at school drop offs with an obvious gardener/Monty Don  type look about me but nobody seems interested anymore.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #432 on: October 17, 2016, 07:01:36 pm »
;D

I just miss Alan. I love referring to 'Alan'. 'Well Alan said I should...' etc. I have one book that I refer to and it's Alan's. I just haven't bought into the whole Monty Don thing. I'm of an age now where I'll find out that Gardeners World is on and I'll rush to the telly - my god, how my 20 year old self would laugh - and yet, I'm constantly wishing I had 'Alan'. I hate Monty's dogs, and he's looking old - he's no longer that sexy gardener type that I was slipping into imagewise either. I'd meet and greet mothers at school drop offs with an obvious gardener/Monty Don  type look about me but nobody seems interested anymore.

Monty has he biggest hands ever.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #433 on: October 23, 2016, 12:17:40 pm »
Saw these window boxes on a house in the Forest of Bowland a few weekends ago. I am wanting to put some window boxes on the front of my house and the plants and would like to mirror these:

The purple ones are trailing lobelia and the red ones are geraniums, I think. Is it just basic ivy that trails like that?

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #434 on: October 23, 2016, 01:36:51 pm »
The purple ones are trailing lobelia and the red ones are geraniums, I think. Is it just basic ivy that trails like that?

Yep spot on.

Some very mice plants to go into baskets/pots, Fuchia, Lobelia, Surfinia to name a few.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #435 on: October 23, 2016, 01:37:47 pm »
How fast should the ivy grow, Sarge? Can I buy it already trailing?

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #436 on: October 23, 2016, 08:31:08 pm »
I've been growing a blueberry tree (bush? - more of a small 4' tree really) for a good few years in a pot. It's a baby of mine. The joy of seeing my 3 year old daughter picking blueberries off it this summer I'll cherish - she was never taken with them at all from the shops, but she almost ate the whole crop herself.

But the colours of the autumn leaves are simply staggering - it's like the whole tree has been plugged into the mains. These beautiful vermilions and deep pinks and oranges - it's almost worth having a blueberry bush for the autumnal colour.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #437 on: October 23, 2016, 09:03:00 pm »
How fast should the ivy grow, Sarge? Can I buy it already trailing?

Its quite quick but not this time of year and yes go to a garden center or a nursery they will have some.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #438 on: October 23, 2016, 09:03:52 pm »
I've been growing a blueberry tree (bush? - more of a small 4' tree really) for a good few years in a pot. It's a baby of mine. The joy of seeing my 3 year old daughter picking blueberries off it this summer I'll cherish - she was never taken with them at all from the shops, but she almost ate the whole crop herself.

But the colours of the autumn leaves are simply staggering - it's like the whole tree has been plugged into the mains. These beautiful vermilions and deep pinks and oranges - it's almost worth having a blueberry bush for the autumnal colour.

Thats class and i agree this time of the year nature is a thing of beautie.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #439 on: October 25, 2016, 06:52:24 pm »
Use a mixture of Water, vinegar, salt, and washing up liquid. Don't spray it on any plant you don't want to kill, as it'll kill everything.
I tried that on a patch and it looks like it worked after a few days, very interesting Barney.